Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
wooster

UK
120 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
wooster Registered since 02nd Nov 2011
Sat 04-Aug-12 09:28 PM

Hi folks. I am looking at a D700 I am considering buying as a back up body but when I looked through the viewfinder I can see a number of dust specks in it. These don't show up on images so they are located somewhere other than the sensor.

Now I'm reluctant to buy it in this condition because a) it is a bit irritating b) the camera was described as "Mint-" and was priced accordingly c) I suspect this might be indicative of sloppy care of the camera by the previous owner. It has a very low shutter count and my older D700 hasn't a single speck!

Is this dust easily removed ( can we assume worst case scenario for the sake of argument ? )

I'd be most grateful for advice.

Wooster

blw

Richmond, US
28709 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#1. "RE: Viewfinder Dust" | In response to Reply # 0

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Sat 04-Aug-12 10:15 PM

Dust in the finder is no big deal. You can get dust up there literally in a minute, or it might take weeks. I've gotten dust onto one of my cameras in a single lens change. Usually you can get it out trivially with a rocket blower, but even if it's on top of the focusing screen that's an easy fix too. (Or it might be trapped between the eyepiece and the prism, although that's not common.)

The worst case scenario, which you asked about, is that they are scratches or blemishes on the pentaprism. This would be difficult and very expensive to address. I've never seen that - even in F and F2 where the prisms are removable - but it could happen.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

G