Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 walk-a-round lens

fdmhiggins

Norwood, US
31 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
fdmhiggins Registered since 13th Aug 2008
Mon 28-Sep-09 06:48 PM

Please help. What is a GREAT walk-a-round lens for this camera?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Asgard

East Frisia, DE
60200 posts

#1. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 0

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004
Mon 28-Sep-09 05:09 PM

What do you mainly shoot? Which range do you prefer ?

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

hwdx347

Maumelle, US
6273 posts

#2. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 0

hwdx347 Basic Member
Mon 28-Sep-09 05:35 PM

I currently using a NIkon 24-120 VR. See here https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=146&topic_id=167980&mesg_id=167980&page=2

Hedley
Originally from Merthyr Tydfil, Wales -- now in Arkansas

MEMcD

US
31300 posts

#3. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Mon 28-Sep-09 06:09 PM

Hi Paul,

I use either a 28-70mm f/2.8D ED IF AF-S or a 24-70mm f/2.8G ED IF AF-S. for a walk-a-round lens. If you are looking for something lighter the 50mm f/1.8D, 50mm f/1.4D or 50mm f/1.4G AF-S are also excellent choices.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

fdmhiggins

Norwood, US
31 posts

#4. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 3

Mon 28-Sep-09 06:28 PM

I appreciate the help. Thank you very much.
Paul

fdmhiggins

Norwood, US
31 posts

#5. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 1

Mon 28-Sep-09 06:30 PM

I work a night shift at a major airport. I am just starting out. Soccer games and anything in general that catches my eye.
Thank you
Paul

blw

Richmond, US
28561 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#6. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 5

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Mon 28-Sep-09 06:45 PM

> Soccer games

That's not what most of us would call a normal walk-around. You're definitely looking at something very different for that.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Asgard

East Frisia, DE
60200 posts

#7. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 0

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004
Mon 28-Sep-09 06:50 PM

Maybe the Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3,5-6,3 XR Di VC LD is a good choice to start.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

fdmhiggins

Norwood, US
31 posts

#8. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 7

Mon 28-Sep-09 08:35 PM

We have a local camera store here. I will see if they have your recommendations in house. Thank you very much

Paul

fdmhiggins

Norwood, US
31 posts

#9. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 6

Mon 28-Sep-09 08:38 PM

I looked at some of your gallery pictures and they seem to fit in to what I had in mind.

Thank you

Paul

blw

Richmond, US
28561 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#10. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 9

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Mon 28-Sep-09 09:10 PM

Well, my gallery has images taken with lenses from 8mm to 1000mm. The whole set weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of fifty pounds. The baseball images were shot with 200, 400, 500 and 800mm lenses. This is definitely NOT the traditional idea of "walk-around." (Although I would say, with a straight face, that I do walk around a baseball stadium with an 80-200/f2.8 and 400/f2.8 or 500/8.)

_____

quimby

US
43 posts

#11. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 8

quimby Registered since 21st Feb 2008
Mon 28-Sep-09 10:50 PM

I use the nikon 70 - 300 vr and find it to be a good walk around lens.
Bruce

fdmhiggins

Norwood, US
31 posts

#12. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 11

Wed 30-Sep-09 08:58 AM

Bruce
I have a friend with a D200 that uses the 70-300 vr. I asked him the same question and he has not gotten back to me yet.
Thank you for your input.
Paul

RWCooper

Winnipeg, CA
1019 posts

#13. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 0

RWCooper Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2004
Wed 30-Sep-09 01:15 PM

Hi,

If you're looking for something in the telephoto range then I too think the Nikon 70-300 is good as long as the light is good as well. I tend to carry a 1.4x teleconverter as well in case I need a little extra reach.

Enjoy!

Randy

fdmhiggins

Norwood, US
31 posts

#14. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 13

Wed 30-Sep-09 02:47 PM

Hi Randy
Will the converter work with the 70-300?
Thank you
Paul

blw

Richmond, US
28561 posts

#15. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 14

Wed 30-Sep-09 06:35 PM

Assuming you mean the Nikon 70-300 AFS VR, the following apply:

- the Nikon TCs don't even mount.
- the Sigma TCs will probably send the lens into AF craziness; this is in my experience a manual-focus only situation.
- the Kenko TCs will mount and attempt to AF, and with a high-end camera such as a D700, will AF decently well. But remember that when you put a 1.4x TC on your f/5.6 lens, you'll be losing a stop - so it's effectively a 420/f8 lens. Furthermore, the general rule of thumb is to stop down at least one stop to maintain IQ, so you're operating more or less as 420/f11. With a D700 you can turn the ISO up to kind of silly levels, and you do have VR, so this may be OK, although I suspect even at that you'll find that it's not as effective as you imagine.

I will also observe that 70mm is a pretty long lens for what most folks call "walking around."

_____

RonAnnArbor

Ann Arbor, US
53 posts

#16. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 15

RonAnnArbor Registered since 07th Jun 2006
Wed 30-Sep-09 06:38 PM

Agreed-- the 70-300 VR, though a good lens, is not a good general "walk around lens"...it's only good for zoom....

I second the Tamron 28-300 VC, which is remarkably sharp, and serves the all-purpose "walk around" do anything lens...it's the equivalent of the Nikon 18-200 on a dSLR with the smaller sensor...

It's the perfect lens to start with, at a reasonable price -- and you can look at different lenses down the road the will better suit what you want.

Visit my photos at RonAnnArbor.Smugmug.com

fdmhiggins

Norwood, US
31 posts

#17. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 15

Thu 01-Oct-09 09:03 AM

Brian
Thank you
Paul

fdmhiggins

Norwood, US
31 posts

#18. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 16

Thu 01-Oct-09 09:06 AM

I hope this comment does not startle any one but...I was advised by a few friends to stay with Nikon lens......
Paul

RonAnnArbor

Ann Arbor, US
53 posts

#19. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 18

Thu 01-Oct-09 09:25 AM

I don't think it startles anyone -- because there are a lot of people who just kind of blind themselves to the other great lenses out there and think only Nikon can produce the best lenses -- guess what: in some instances, they don't have the best lenses -- and general focal length walk around is one of those areas.

blw

Richmond, US
28561 posts

#20. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 18

Thu 01-Oct-09 10:55 AM

> I was advised by a few friends to stay with Nikon lens...

It's advice. You've gotten some other advice that's conflicting.

To illustrate something about the advice you've received:

- the Nikon 400/f2.8 AFS has only the Canon 400/f2.8 USM as a peer, and of course it doesn't work on a Nikon.
- the Nikon 24-70/f2.8 AFS is almost certainly the top dog amongst fast pro mid-range zooms that fit Nikon. But at $2000, it is only marginally better than the Sigma 24-70/f2.8 HSM (at $900). One would likely feel more confident about future compatibility with Nikon, but is it worth $1100? (Especially since Sigma has a long history of offering free fixes in such events.) The Tamron 28-75/f2.8 XDR is in a similar position, although the focal lengths are slightly different - and the price is even lower ($650 or so).
- the Nikkor 105/f2.8 AFS VR Micro has several features that its competitors don't, but many people do not need those features, and optically the lens is pretty much a tie with the Tamron 90/f2.8 and Sigma 105/f2.8 and Tokina 100/f2.8 - all of which cost less than half as much.

The lists go on and on.

One thing that the "stick to Nikon" folks either mean or imply is "only Nikon make true quality." Which isn't actually true. Even if one accepts that the "budget" Sigma, Tamron and Tokinas were not as good, those folks are forgetting about a famous company called Zeiss - who make some of the indisputably great optics on this planet, and they do fit Nikon. They aren't cheap, and they have some compromises, but for optical excellence, legendary build quality and end results, there is no disputing their excellence. (Nor does one debate that their prices are, shall we say, commensurate.)

Finally, bear in mind that the third parties make some lenses that Nikon do not. Nikon would likely have a big hit on their hands if they had a 120-300/f2.8 AFS VR, but they don't, and Sigma does. Circular fisheye? Not from Nikon - not for FX or DX.

So "sticking with Nikon" (or any individual brand) isn't really very good advice.

_____

Guidenet

Orlando, US
14 posts

#21. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 17

Guidenet Registered since 15th Jul 2007
Fri 02-Oct-09 06:34 PM

First you have to define "walkaround" as being an everyday family, street and vacation sort of focal lenght, because some of us might "walkaround" in the forest and need something different. I just bought a new D700 at the end of August and after traveling Wyoming and mostly using a 35 f/2 and 85 f/1.4 decided I wanted a zoom in that range as a walkaround lens.

The issue is price. I couldn't afford the obvious 24-70 f/2.8 choice and wouldn't think of sticking something like a long ratio Tamron or Sigma on it. The D700 is too good for that, in my opinion. So, since I didn't have $2000 to spend right now, the second choice would be the lens the 24-70 replaced or the 28-70 f/2.8. Again, the price got me. It sells for $1300 - $1500 depending on quality at KEH.

What I settled for and what I might advise to you is the lens the 28-70 replaced or the 35-70 f/2.8 AFD model. This lens was made from 1987 until 2006 and was the pro-level mid-level zoom for Nikon for many of those years. I paid $751 for mine but that was Like New in the Box with all accessories. I've seen them go in good condition for $400-$550 lately. It also comes with a macro mode that isn't quite 1:1 but not bad for flowers and such. This lens is very sharp, contrasty and just a smidgen off the IQ of the new Nano coated 24-70 f/2.8. You might want to consider something like that for the D700.

Another possibility might be Sigma's new 24-70 f/2.8 HSM. Again, it's not the Nikon but like the older 35-70 f/2.8 it's close. It costs around $899. Don't mix it up with Sigma's other cheaper 24-70 f/2.8 that sells for $550 or so. It's not even in the same ball park.

Craig Harding

tamrokin

Fremantle, AU
359 posts

#22. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 20

tamrokin Registered since 09th Feb 2006
Mon 05-Oct-09 04:16 AM | edited Mon 05-Oct-09 04:29 AM by tamrokin

Brian - you have just raised a question for me on the 10.5mm fisheye. Would the 10.5mm Nikon DX lens be a spherical fisheye on the FX D700 if it didn't have the lens hood ?

As for 'D700 Walk around lens' - not sure I would rate the D700 as a 'walk around camera' as it has a few 'brick like qualities'.

However, I do like that it has the capacity to 'bulk-up' with MB-D10 and long lenses or be 'stripped down' without the MB-D10 and say a 24mm or so prime. The 'standard' 50mm f1.8 would also be a relatively compact and very capable combination. Does depend on what you are after.

If you are not shooting at the high end of the D700's capabilities ie. Fine, RAW, high ISO - then a smaller more compact camera/lens might achieve what you are after in a more 'walk around' size/weight combination.

I have just spent 4 months on-the-road and while my main camera was the D700 - I did default to a G10 for 'walk-around' type shots .... my apologies to the purists - but I do have a 'C' camera in my inventory !

Rob

Black camera, Black lenses, Black bag ...... & NAS Black hole .....

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#23. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 22

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Mon 05-Oct-09 06:40 AM

>Brian - you have just raised a question for me on the 10.5mm
>fisheye. Would the 10.5mm Nikon DX lens be a spherical fisheye
>on the FX D700 if it didn't have the lens hood ?

I have not tried it, but I believe the answer will be "no".

The 10-5mm DX fisheye must produce an image circle at least 28mm (the approximate diagonal of a DX frame) in diameter. So it will fit within an FX frame horizontally but will "overlap" vertically. You should get an image with curved sides and straight top and bottom edges.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

bentley07

ID
8 posts

#24. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 0

bentley07 Registered since 15th Apr 2009
Mon 05-Oct-09 07:15 AM

For me, I carry the 24mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.4 the most. (Because of its light weight and size)

Sometimes the 85mm if I wanted to take portraits.

Cheers,
Roland

tamrokin

Fremantle, AU
359 posts

#25. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 23

Mon 05-Oct-09 07:29 AM | edited Mon 05-Oct-09 07:33 AM by tamrokin

Thanks Brian ... I am not so technically minded when it comes to cameras - so here are a couple of snaps that might settle it.

Same image taken with the 10.5mm. 1 shot on the D300 and the other on a D700 set to shoot full frame. The D700 has captured more image.

I guess not a perfect test as I stood in the same spot and handheld the cameras - should have used a tripod. The keyhole effect on the D700 image formed by the hood - not sure I am brave enough to send the lens off to a machine shop to have it removed.

Anyhow, open for comment.

Rob

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

KenLPhotos

Stewartstown, US
1908 posts

#26. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 25

KenLPhotos Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009
Tue 06-Oct-09 09:59 AM

Just remove the hood if the sun isn't in front of the camera. Trimming the hood would let more sun light anyway and flare etc. Same as if the hood was removed.

The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But first, you have to see.
Ernst Haas, 1985

KenL

There are many 'photographs of beautiful objects' but not so many 'beautiful photographs of objects'.

tamrokin

Fremantle, AU
359 posts

#27. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 26

Wed 07-Oct-09 01:18 AM | edited Wed 07-Oct-09 01:21 AM by tamrokin

I don't think that the hood is removable on the 10.5mm. Certainly appears to be a permanent fixture. Like to know if there is a way to release it as it would open up the scope for circular fish-eye imagery on an FF camera.

Have played with it in the past with different lens combinations but always have CA effects. Best result I have had was using the 10.5mm with Photoshop 'Spherize' for a circular simulation - technically not correct, but visually worked very well.

Test attached - but excludes a lot of perimeter image.

Rob

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

mastertrimix

US
5 posts

#28. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 24

mastertrimix Registered since 12th Sep 2009
Sun 11-Oct-09 02:49 PM

IMHO---For the D700--The 50mm f1.8 is cheap ($130), light, fast, and very sharp for a walk around (I sold the 50mm f1.4). The 24-120mm is not good and I will sell it soon. The 70-300mm AFS VR would be the best for sporting events on the cheap and looks to have the sharpness as the heavy super expensive 70-200mm. The only somewhat expensive lens that is a must buy is the 14-24mm f2.8 but its a little wide as a walk around and the 105mm f/2.8 micro for super sharp photos.

tamrokin

Fremantle, AU
359 posts

#29. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 27

Sun 11-Oct-09 10:01 PM

My apologies for taking a new direction with this on the 10.5mm lens.

will take it to the lens forum.

Rob

RonAnnArbor

Ann Arbor, US
53 posts

#30. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 28

Mon 12-Oct-09 09:17 AM | edited Mon 12-Oct-09 09:20 AM by RonAnnArbor

Be careful not to generalize the 24-120 VR lens as not good....there is tremendous sample variation as I have posted in that "other" big website forum...

I had to try three different 24-120 VR lenses before I found one that was actually sharp as a tack and worked the way I would expect from a consumer lens like that -- but it has become a regular member of my kit. It's actually a great walk-around lens IF you can find one that works....My serial number by the way starts with US6----- as the series number. Perhaps they have finally fixed this one?

I'm not saying it's as good as a prime, or the 24-70/28-70 etc, but for a general purpose walk-around lens, it's pretty good.

https://ronannarbor.smugmug.com/Photography/Nikon-D700/8585787_a2UHp#641407594_aNX2t

https://ronannarbor.smugmug.com/Photography/Nikon-D700/8585787_a2UHp#641411635_XGZWV

rselby

Modesto, US
167 posts

#31. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 10

rselby Registered since 26th Feb 2006
Tue 20-Oct-09 04:14 AM

>Well, my gallery has images taken with lenses from 8mm to
>1000mm. The whole set weighs somewhere in the neighborhood
>of fifty pounds. The baseball images were shot with 200, 400,
>500 and 800mm lenses. This is definitely NOT the traditional
>idea of "walk-around." (Although I would say, with
>a straight face, that I do walk around a baseball stadium with
>an 80-200/f2.8 and 400/f2.8 or 500/8.)

Man I wish I had that problem:)

rselby

Modesto, US
167 posts

#32. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 20

rselby Registered since 26th Feb 2006
Tue 20-Oct-09 04:23 AM

Everything I've read about the glass you have noted is dead on. However I must say I have a stigma toward Nikon glass. It's nice to read comments and grounded opinions like yours. I think I'll explore my options a bit more than in the past.
Thank you for pointing this out.

Respectfully,

Richard

RJNPhoto

Athens, US
120 posts

#33. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 0

RJNPhoto Basic Member
Tue 20-Oct-09 09:46 AM

My D700 walk around lens is the Nikon 35-70mm f2.8, this is a great lens and much smaller in size that the 28-70mm or 24-70mm f2.8 lens. This is an old lens but I still love the size and image quality I get from it.

I have also just picked up a 50mm f1.4G lens that I am finding is great walk around lens on the D700.

All the best
Robert

divemaster

LIMASSOL, CY
1 posts

#34. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 1

divemaster Registered since 20th Oct 2009
Tue 20-Oct-09 10:17 AM

I just get my D700 and iam looking for my lens,which one you
thing is the best for landscape portrait photos.Thanks

Luke_Miller

Rural Virginia, US
1761 posts

#35. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 33

Luke_Miller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2006
Tue 20-Oct-09 11:17 AM | edited Tue 20-Oct-09 11:23 AM by Luke_Miller

I'm with you, Robert. I go with the Nikon AF-D 20-35 f2.8 and AF-D 35-70 f2.8 when I want compact walk-around lenses. They are hold overs from my film days and work great on digital. I have not found a one lens D700 solution that really satisfies me. I am spoiled by my modern AF-S f2.8 zooms, but do not wish to deal with their weight and bulk for travel and walk areound use. I also do not want to sacrifice their optical quality or f2.8 aperture, so this two lens solution works GREAT for me.

RonAnnArbor

Ann Arbor, US
53 posts

#36. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 35

Tue 20-Oct-09 11:44 AM

I happen to love the old Nikon 28-105 as well...super sharp, very light, and it has micro capability as well...another gem on the D700 from film days...I don't shoot anything that requires wide angle, so 24-28 works well for me at the wide end...

Ironically, Nikon is still playing catchup with modern lenses for the D700 -- it wasn't four years ago that NIkon was stating that they would "never be doing full format digital cameras" so here they are now, playing catchup.

Also -- don't be afraid to look at some third party lenses -- there's sample variation of course, but Sigma and Tamron have some great lenses for full-format cameras that are lightweight and cover wide angle to longer focal distances.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#37. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 36

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Tue 20-Oct-09 11:50 AM

>Ironically, Nikon is still playing catchup with modern lenses
>for the D700 -- it wasn't four years ago that NIkon was
>stating that they would "never be doing full format
>digital cameras"

I don't recall Nikon ever saying that officially. I think at one point a spokesman did say they "had no immediate plans" for full-frame, but that's not the same thing at all.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

voyageurfred

Montreal, CA
494 posts

#38. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 3

voyageurfred Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jun 2007
Tue 20-Oct-09 09:34 PM

I'm with Paul on this one, as I use the same identical lens (28-70) and love the sharpness and versatility in all zoom ranges. I probably do 80% of my photography with this one piece of glass. I've had it about six years and previously used it on my Nikon F100 film cam.

Nikon discontinued it, replacing it with the 24-70 G lens, which will not work on film bodies as there is no aperture ring.

Just don't drop it though or you're in for an expensive fix. I was shooting in a lightning storm, when a loud thunderclap directly overhead startled me so much, I dropped my cam onto a wet tiled floor in a gazebo. It landed on the lens shade which just got a few minor scratches, however the lens suffered internal damage, jamming the zoom and autofocus.

The bill from the Nikon repair centre came to $900! Yikes!

Enjoy your D700. I love mine!

Cheers,
Frederic in Montréal

Nothing ventured... nothing gained!
http://www.RemarkableImages.ca

Alphapenguin

US
1 posts

#39. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 37

Alphapenguin Registered since 17th Oct 2009
Wed 21-Oct-09 04:11 AM

Greetings all! This is my first post.

This topic is of great interest to me as a new D700 owner. I just completed an eight-day trip from Texas by plane to Newark Airport, van from the airport to Manhattan for a four-night visit, taxi from Manhattan to Penn Station, Amtrak from Penn to White River Junction VT, private car to Hanover NH etc, with much walking around every day including photographing my son's wedding, then returning to Texas.

During the entire trip, other than when I was in bed, my D700 was at hand, and it was mounted with the new Nikon 2.8 24-70mm lens with hood attached to protect the lens. I also had the accessory battery pack mounted on the bottom of the body.

At no time did I experience any inconvenience carrying this setup, size, bulk or weight. I prefer shooting in RAW format, and my camera is fitted with a Sandisk Extreme III 16G CF card, so with my setup I was prepared to take close to 1000 exposures under virtually any conditions from dawn to dusk and quite a few indoors without flash.

I found the Nikon 24-70 lens to be the ideal "walking around" lens for this camera and I recommend it without hesitation.

A side benefit to my setup was the number of delightful conversations I had with other amateur photographers, complete strangers, who were attracted to my camera like bees to honey.

wmcy

Charlotte, US
977 posts

#40. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 0

wmcy Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2006
Fri 23-Oct-09 12:43 AM

I just want to endorse other's comments re the newest Sigma 24-70 HSM lens. Certainly a fine piece of glass. Great weight, size, price (around $900) and most importantly, IQ.

colrehogan713

US
246 posts

#41. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 40

colrehogan713 Registered since 01st Apr 2004
Fri 23-Oct-09 10:59 AM

I like the Nikkor 24-85 as a good walk around lens.

Diane

450 mm Nikkor-M rocks!

Bob32

Chico, US
5866 posts

#42. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 0

Bob32 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jul 2007
Fri 23-Oct-09 04:31 PM

Like Diane I opted for the Nikon 24-85 zoom which I like very much for walk-around purposes. She doesn't state which model she uses, but mine is the 24-85 mm. f/2.8-4 which is less of a burden to tote around than one of the pro f/2.8 heavyweights. If price is a factor it also inflicts a whole lot less damage on one's pocketbook.

Bob

petrieme

US
606 posts

#43. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 42

petrieme Registered since 29th Jan 2007
Sat 24-Oct-09 12:27 PM

buy a 50m lens and learn your requip, style, and equip. Add to your equip as your style demands it.

-----
"A fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees." -William Blake

http://fstopstudios.blogspot.com

fdmhiggins

Norwood, US
31 posts

#44. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 20

Sun 25-Oct-09 03:16 AM

I just finished re-reading your comment and found it more than helpfull.

Thank you
Paul

tarrock

Montclair,, US
15 posts

#45. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 43

tarrock Registered since 20th Jun 2009
Sun 25-Oct-09 10:29 AM

Exactly. Well said.

colrehogan713

US
246 posts

#46. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 42

colrehogan713 Registered since 01st Apr 2004
Mon 26-Oct-09 11:05 AM

>Like Diane I opted for the Nikon 24-85 zoom which I like very
>much for walk-around purposes. She doesn't state which model
>she uses, but mine is the 24-85 mm. f/2.8-4 which is less of a
>burden to tote around than one of the pro f/2.8 heavyweights.
>If price is a factor it also inflicts a whole lot less damage
>on one's pocketbook.
>
>Bob

Oops, yes, this is the same one I use.

Diane

450 mm Nikkor-M rocks!

focus16

West Bloomfield, US
91 posts

#47. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 5

focus16 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Mar 2004
Mon 26-Oct-09 02:27 PM

Why not consider the Nikon 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 VR lens? I use it regularly as a great walk about lens for my D70. I realize you have a full frame D700 but the 36mm equivalent would be 27-300mm -not bad for a $600 lens eh? What is wrong with my reasoning?

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#48. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 47

Mon 26-Oct-09 02:49 PM

Since the 18-200mm is a DX lens, it only works fully with the D700 in Crop Mode, which reduces the camera to just 5.1MP.

For anyone wanting to use an 18-200mm, I would recommend buying a D300 (or D300s) rather than a D700.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

jt_kilroy

US
5 posts

#49. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 0

jt_kilroy Registered since 26th Aug 2009
Mon 26-Oct-09 03:37 PM

My walk around lens is a 50mm 1.4, sometimes a 85mm 1.4. If I need to get closer to the subject I walk.

ruedi

Bern, CH
469 posts

#50. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 2

ruedi Gold Member Nikonian since 15th Nov 2005
Mon 26-Oct-09 03:53 PM

I had a 24 - 120 that I used with my analog F90 and F6 and my digital D200. When I got the D700 I was so dissappointed with the quality of this lens that I sold it and got a 24 - 40 2,8 instead. Not a very big zoom range but a superb optical quality. It has become my "walk around" lens.

Ruedi
Nikonian in Bern, Switzerland

Visit my Nikonians gallery or www.ruedis.ch

notch

US
23 posts

#51. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 49

notch Registered since 25th Jul 2009
Mon 26-Oct-09 04:58 PM

This is a topic I've struggled with as well. My $0.02:

Most of the shooting I do is club-music and outdoor landscape. So I have several heavy large, specialized lenses for that, which I do not consider walk-around. For me walk-around means I'm taking my MD-B10 off and putting a single lens on.

That lens used to be a 50mm/1.4. Its a great lens, and probably the best choice in terms of all around technical ability. You can zoom with your feet, mess with bokeh and DOF to your hearts content, shoot at night, etc, etc. *BUT* the one thing you cannot do really is go wide. And I like wide. And I'm lazy at times so I like zoom as well.

So I went to Adorama's used counter and got a 24-120/3.5-5.6 for $200. Yes, for less than 1/10th the cost of the 24-70 I have a cheap mid-range FX zoom lens with roughly the optical quality of a cheap consumer lens. Sure its got falloff and bokeh issues. But it works fine for the walkaround, and no one except other photographers are going to be able to tell the IQ difference between that and my 50/1.4. Would I use it for any serious work? Probably not, its way too slow. But for family outings, and "picture taking" its great. And my neck and shoulders thank me the next day for not carrying 4 lenses I didn't use.

Again, not for everyone, YMMV.

G.

P.S. Unfortunately, as my NAS has progressed, my definition of "walk around" has changed The addition of a comfortable backpack changed everything... I carried a huge amount of kit through canyonlands and arches earlier this month with little to no issues.

Check out my gallery

fdmhiggins

Norwood, US
31 posts

#52. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 51

Mon 26-Oct-09 09:58 PM

I deeply appreciate all the feedback for the WALK AROUND LENS. To be honest it appears to be "In the eye of the beholder" as to what is best. It certainly has been quite an education.

Thank you one and all.
Paul

ForensicMedicine

US
104 posts

#53. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 0

ForensicMedicine Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Aug 2009
Sun 01-Nov-09 07:16 PM

Like you, I have pondered this question, and have listened to many nice folks who have shared their preferences with me.

I came away with this: Whatever lens/body combination that encourages me to take my camera with me, is a good "walk-a-round" lens.

I have found that the Nikon 50mm F/1.4G AF-S, the Nikon 85mm F/1.4D AF, the 28-70mm F/2.8 AF-S, the 17-35mm F/2.8 AF-S, and sometimes even the 80-200mm F/2.8 AF-S have all been good walk-a-round lenses for me, with my D700. Like some others, I like the D700 with the attached MB-D10, and have been using the Blackrapid strap, which keeps the camera to my side, upside down and backwards, easy to bring up for a shot, yet out of the way.

Lately, I have been using the 85 F/1.4D as I like the ability to be a little removed from the people I photograph, and as I like to take more nightime/lower light pictures.

I have enjoyed everyones opinions on this subject, as I always do, here on Nikonians.

_________
Nathan

"I like photographers — you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan. (To White House News Photographers Assn 18 May 83)

"The best indices of a person's character are (a) how they treat people who can't do them any good, and (b) how they treat people who can't fight back"color>

passlake

terrace bay, CA
163 posts

#54. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 53

passlake Registered since 08th Mar 2008
Mon 02-Nov-09 07:08 PM

I am very fond of a 35mmf/2D as a walkaround lens. Sometimes I will also throw a 24mmf/2.8D in my jacket.
This combo is lightweight, fast, close focusing and quite sharp.

For walking around with a purpose, I will add a short telephoto, like an 85mmf/1.4 or 105mmf/2.8

Bob32

Chico, US
5866 posts

#55. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 0

Mon 02-Nov-09 10:59 PM

Paul,

You have gotten an unbelievable variety of responses to your query. If you accept all of the suggestions offered you will need a large wheelbarrow to bring all of your lenses with you when you walk around!

Bob

fdmhiggins

Norwood, US
31 posts

#56. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 55

Tue 03-Nov-09 01:17 AM

Bob

I will also have to own a BANK

Paul

Bob32

Chico, US
5866 posts

#57. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 56

Tue 03-Nov-09 01:38 AM

Paul,

If the Nikon 24-120 hadn’t turned out to be the-lens-that-could-have-been-but-wasn’t this would have been an easier decision for you and a lot of others to make! Nevertheless, have you made a final decision as to what your walk-around lens is going to be? Please don’t keep us in suspense.

Bob

fdmhiggins

Norwood, US
31 posts

#58. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 57

Tue 03-Nov-09 11:11 AM

Bob

I am researching 6 or 7 different lens that have been mentioned in the forum. From what I am gathering each one is unique to where I would walk, in the city, in the country, local
or go searching for something special. I am close to Boston and there are many sites to go to such as The Bunker Hill Monumet, The Constitution, The old North Church etc:
In my thoughts some would require a Telephoto and others would require a 50mmm or 85mm. All in the eye of the beholder. I have discussed this with a few friends that are willing to loan me different lens. Nice of them. Will let you known my decision as soon as possible.

Paul

RonAnnArbor

Ann Arbor, US
53 posts

#59. "RE: D700 walk-a-round lens" | In response to Reply # 58

Tue 03-Nov-09 06:33 PM

That is a FANTASTIC idea -- borrow a few different lenses and see which ones make the most sense to you for your own shooting -- I've found that once I settle on a walkaround lens I like, it stays on my camera 95 percent of the time...That's why you know you have "the one"...

G