Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Would like to lock in a manual setting similar to the P* mode

moodyblue

Sothampton, BM
39 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
moodyblue Registered since 23rd Mar 2008
Tue 22-Sep-09 12:07 AM

As sophisticated as they are I think the D3 and D700 would benefit greatly by having an EV setting that could lock the shutter speed and aperture taken manually that would allow us to spin the control wheel for more creative use of depth of field.
Where time permits I am now using my calibrated light meter but it it so frustrating when say I have a reading of 250 @f13 but want to use F2.8 I would need to be autistic to reset my camera quickly. The present way of taking the hand held light meter reading and scrolling thru the shutterspeed/aperture combinations is just too time consuming. I would have thought that with such high end cameras it would be a very welcome feature.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

philipl

Oxford, US
1784 posts

#1. "RE: Would like to lock in a manual setting similar to the P* mode" | In response to Reply # 0

philipl Gold Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007
Mon 21-Sep-09 10:58 PM

>As sophisticated as they are I think the D3 and D700 would
>benefit greatly by having an EV setting that could lock the
>shutter speed and aperture taken manually that would allow us
>to spin the control wheel for more creative use of depth of
>field.
>Where time permits I am now using my calibrated light meter
>but it it so frustrating when say I have a reading of 250 @f13
>but want to use F2.8 I would need to be autistic to reset my
>camera quickly. The present way of taking the hand held light
>meter reading and scrolling thru the shutterspeed/aperture
>combinations is just too time consuming. I would have thought
>that with such high end cameras it would be a very welcome
>feature.

I'm sorry but I'm somewhat lost. I shoot almost exclusively in manual mode with auto ISO. If I want F 2.8 (which is often the case) then I set F 2.8 (or F whatever) and dial up the shutter speed until the auto ISO goes above 200 and then take the picture. It is quick and effective. I use this on my D300 and D700 for almost every picture I take

Philip

Do not settle for mediocrity. Rather strive for excellence for even in that attempt lies a measure of success.

https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/139567[br />"]My Gallery

moodyblue

Sothampton, BM
39 posts

#2. "RE: Would like to lock in a manual setting similar to the P* mode" | In response to Reply # 1

Mon 21-Sep-09 11:20 PM

Thanks for the response Phil but what I would like is to have the same exposure locked in manual but the ability to quickly change it for depth of field.
ie: I set my camera for 250th.@F13 iso 100 but then want to use f2.8 so my equivelant shutter speed would by 5000th, or at f5.6 my speed would be 1250. Without going into the smart auto P programme mode I don't believe there is a way to lock the exposure that will give you the different depth of field with a turn of the control wheel.

elec164

US
2576 posts

#3. "RE: Would like to lock in a manual setting similar to the P* mode" | In response to Reply # 2

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009
Tue 22-Sep-09 01:58 AM | edited Tue 22-Sep-09 02:05 AM by elec164

I might be missing something here but isn’t that what aperture priority mode is for?

I mean I can see using a hand held light meter to go for a specific affect that would be difficult to achieve with the in camera meter. But once you have your reading you set the aperture in A mode then use exposure compensation if needed to get the shutter speed correct. Then all it takes is a spin of one control wheel to change both settings (edited to clarify that I meant shutter speed and aperture) as wanted.

Just sort of thinking out loud to see if my idea is a workable solution.

Pete

Pete

TomCurious

Bay Area, US
2352 posts

#4. "RE: Would like to lock in a manual setting similar to the P* mode" | In response to Reply # 0

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007
Tue 22-Sep-09 03:05 AM

>As sophisticated as they are I think the D3 and D700 would
>benefit greatly by having an EV setting that could lock the
>shutter speed and aperture taken manually that would allow us
>to spin the control wheel for more creative use of depth of
>field.

I see what you mean. If I understand correctly, it would work like in Program mode, where you can turn the dial to select different Aperture/Shutter combinations, except that the EV reading would not come from the camera meter, but you would enter it based on your light meter reading. This feature would indeed be very nice. It might be an extra mode, like "EV mode", where with one dial you select the EV that comes from your light meter, and with the other dial you browse through the Aperture/Shutter combinations. I'd like that very much, but from what I know there is no such thing on any camera model.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

mitchman

Kennewick, US
133 posts

#5. "RE: Would like to lock in a manual setting similar to the P* mode" | In response to Reply # 4

mitchman Registered since 08th Jul 2009
Tue 22-Sep-09 04:42 AM

Not exactly what you're looking for, but if you roll the thumb wheel while you're in Program mode, you get a bunch of different shutter/aperture combinations. Not quite as quick as what you're talking about.....but close.

---------
Nikon D700 | 17-35mm f/2.8 | 50mm f/1.4 | 80-200mm f/2.8 (mainly a videographer but am dabbling into professional photography)

moodyblue

Sothampton, BM
39 posts

#6. "RE: Would like to lock in a manual setting similar to the P* mode" | In response to Reply # 4

Tue 22-Sep-09 07:38 AM

Exactly Tom, for old Hasselblad users like myself this would be a great feature. For really tight controls I find my light meter to give me better exposures than TTL. Kind of like "Set it and forget it"
I work most of the time in really bright sunny conditions where it is difficult to read the LCD screen and the histogram is no more than a guide so to have the confidence to set the exposure correctly with the light meter gives me great peace of mind.

moodyblue

Sothampton, BM
39 posts

#7. "RE: Would like to lock in a manual setting similar to the P* mode" | In response to Reply # 3

Tue 22-Sep-09 07:41 AM

But then you are back to aperture priority and diddling around checking the LCD screen again to check the histogram and flashing highlights.

RonAnnArbor

Ann Arbor, US
53 posts

#8. "RE: Would like to lock in a manual setting similar to the P* mode" | In response to Reply # 6

RonAnnArbor Registered since 07th Jun 2006
Sat 26-Sep-09 10:23 AM

Wouldn't you get this basically by just doing bracketed shots?...I don't putz with any of those settings anymore with digital cameras -- why worry when you can just set your bracketing however you want it, and one of the shots will most likely be exactly what you want (or slightly tweeking in post processing)...otherwise, basically your not using the power of your digital camera and resorting to old SLR shooting methods...

Anyway, hope you find a way to resolve your dilemma, but I'm not sure if it's do-able on the D700...

Visit my photos at RonAnnArbor.Smugmug.com

jgould2

Fort Pierce, US
4584 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#9. "RE: Would like to lock in a manual setting similar to the P* mode" | In response to Reply # 6

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007
Sat 26-Sep-09 12:40 PM

Hi Ernest.

To overcome the problem of difficult LCD screen viewing (especially in bright sunlight), I use a Hoodman Hoodloupe. You wear it around your neck on a lanyard, place it over the screen and look through the eyepiece. Completely eliminates the problem and I never go anywhere without one. Highly recommend.

JIM

moodyblue

Sothampton, BM
39 posts

#10. "RE: Would like to lock in a manual setting similar to the P* mode" | In response to Reply # 9

Sat 26-Sep-09 01:57 PM

I bought one just a week ago and I am very pleased with it.

jackhx

Richardson, US
168 posts

#11. "RE: Would like to lock in a manual setting similar to the P* mode" | In response to Reply # 10

jackhx Gold Member Charter Member
Sat 26-Sep-09 05:49 PM

I think this "EV" mode for manual would be nice, and I would use it a lot.

My work around, which isn't great, is that I simply count how many "clicks" I turn the aperture dial and then turn the shutter dial the same number of clicks in the opposite direction. You have to keep up with the count and make sure you are moving the dials the correct way, so it's anything but automatic! In fact I usually move each dial 3 clicks at a time until I get where I want to be - easier for my simple mind to only have to count to 3 at a time!

I use this approach a lot when I'm shooting concerts or other difficult light conditions where I can't trust the camera meeter to get it right.

LuisGonzalezLT

Macedonia, US
969 posts

#12. "RE: Would like to lock in a manual setting similar to the P* mode" | In response to Reply # 0

LuisGonzalezLT Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2005
Sat 26-Sep-09 05:52 PM

The is no M* setting but it could be implemented in a new firmware release.

I see it working like this:
---------------------------
1. set the camera to M, no AUTO-ISO.
2. set your ISO, aperture, shutter as needed for proper exposure using the camera meter
3. flip to M*
4a. whirl the shutter then the aperture would change to keep the exposure correct
4b. whirl the aperture then the shutter would change to keep the exposure correct

Send Nikon service and support an email requesting the feature and point back to this thread. Not that it will or won't make it in but they need to know what people want.

Luis Gonzalez
Everlasting Photography, Inc

moodyblue

Sothampton, BM
39 posts

#13. "RE: Would like to lock in a manual setting similar to the P* mode" | In response to Reply # 12

Sun 27-Sep-09 09:30 AM

Exactly Louis, why they have never made it a feature I don't know but it would be a very welcome one.
I tried to email Nikon service last night but after getting the run around on their web page with trying to set up an account to ask the question I got tired of trying. I will try again today.

G