Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Using Lee IR Filter, Failed- Advice Please

ylwdog

US
146 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ylwdog Registered since 08th Jun 2009
Sun 06-Sep-09 12:19 PM

I purchased Lee's IR Filter and used it attempting to capture the effects I have seen. This failed. I was at the beach on an overcast morning and wanted to capture the pier. But, all I got was Job NR exposures, they were all completely black.
I set my lens to 2.8, using a Nikkor 105, and shutter setting from 2 seconds to 30 seconds.
I was handholding the filter against the lens w/ a Graduated ND filter (w/ the clear section of the filter- as to not reduce any more light transmission) against the outside surface of the IR filter to give it support so the wind would not alter the shape or blow it out of my hand.

I am wondering if either I was doing something wrong or if the sensor in the D700 will not permit this.

Thanks for any help,

Doug

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#1. "RE: Using Lee IR Filter, Failed- Advice Please" | In response to Reply # 0

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Sun 06-Sep-09 10:54 AM

You might also want to check out our IR & UV Photography Forum.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

zplot

Majadahonda, ES
2 posts

#2. "RE: Using Lee IR Filter, Failed- Advice Please" | In response to Reply # 0

zplot Registered since 06th Dec 2008
Tue 08-Sep-09 01:36 PM

D700 doen't work very well with IR. It is something known. I tried it with the 24-70 F2.8 and a big white spot at the center appeared.

Can look at:

http://lambdastudio.com/p313518635/h310aab70#h310aab70

Luis

http://www.lambdastudio.com

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

#3. "RE: Using Lee IR Filter, Failed- Advice Please" | In response to Reply # 2

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Tue 08-Sep-09 05:51 PM

The low pass filter includes an IR blocking filter as most digital sensors are IR sensative.

If you want to shoot IR you will have to have the low pass filter modified to exclude the IR blocking filter. Just like has to be done for the older dSLRs.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

G