Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 Burst Frame Rate/Buffer

ylwdog

US
146 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ylwdog Registered since 08th Jun 2009
Fri 14-Aug-09 11:49 AM

My setup is MB-D10 Battery Grip, 8 AA batteries, Raw+Jpg, D-Lighting. I am getting the advertised 8fps w/ this setup.

My question(s) deal w/ how quickly I can begin to shoot again at 8fps.

Advertised is 100 image buffer rate.

After firing a set of 8 frames, it can take a few seconds before I can take a few more exposures, but it is slow. If I am reading my LCD Panel correctly, the buffer image indicator shows 6 images.

Could someone here show me the light? Ideally I would like to shoot at 8fps, continuously.

Thanks,

Doug

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

asnnet

Copenhagen, DK
117 posts

#1. "RE: D700 Burst Frame Rate/Buffer" | In response to Reply # 0

asnnet Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2007
Fri 14-Aug-09 10:58 AM

A couple of things to consider:

1. Do you have long exposure noise reduction on?
The Long Exposure Noise reduction seems to cut the buffer in half even if the noise reduction isn't used. I know this is not quite what the manual says (at least in the Danish version) - but it seems to be the case anyway.

2. What CF card are you using?
The different cards have very different capabilities as regard to write speed - to get 8 fps using Raw+JPEG for any time, I really think you need one of the high performance cards like SanDisk Extreme IV or something similar.

It seems to me that when I use high capacity cards, the time needed to write to the card grows significantly as it gets filled - so you might consider using cards that has "just enough" capacity.

You can also experiment with the different RAW settings to optimize the buffer.

Note that the 100 images buffersize is not for RAW+JPEG - it is for JPEG only (and even then only if you don't select optimal quality for the compression) - a more realistic idea would be something like 15-30 images - but certainly more than 8.

You can find a table of the buffersize for each setting here (click the full review tab):
http://www.photoreview.com.au/reviews/digitalslr/nikon-d700.aspx

ylwdog

US
146 posts

#2. "RE: D700 Burst Frame Rate/Buffer" | In response to Reply # 1

Fri 14-Aug-09 11:08 AM

Thanks... I will have a look at the NR. The full review in "Photoreview" is a great read! Thanks!

TiggerGTO

Apex, US
2258 posts

#3. "RE: D700 Burst Frame Rate/Buffer" | In response to Reply # 0

TiggerGTO Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006
Fri 14-Aug-09 11:31 AM

The maximum numbers that the camera will allow in a continuous burst is 100 pictures. I'm not sure why they impose that limit.

The camera has a memory buffer that is used as a queue to store pictures between the time that you capture them and the time they get written to the CF card. For best performance, use UDMA cards so the camera can write the pictures and clear the buffer as quickly as possible. If the camera can't write the card fast enough, the buffer becomes full and then your frame rate drops to the speed that the camera can make room in the buffer for the next shot.

"Fast enough" is determined by the write speed of the CF card and the image quality setting for the camera. Shooting RAW+JPEG requires the camera to write the maximum amount per image. If shooting long bursts without pauses to clear the buffer is important, you should shoot JPEG only. I believe that for any quality JPEG the camera can take up to the 100 picture limit at full speed if you are using a UDMA card.

Page 423 of the user's guide has a table that shows the file size, buffer capacities and number of images that can fit on a 2 GB card. They are using a SanDisk Extreme IV card for the table which is a UDMA card.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

wmarkle

King City ON, CA
76 posts

#4. "RE: D700 Burst Frame Rate/Buffer" | In response to Reply # 0

wmarkle Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2009
Fri 14-Aug-09 11:54 AM

To shoot at 8fps continuously several settings affect the buffer speed, including turning D-Lighting off.

Wils

ylwdog

US
146 posts

#5. "RE: D700 Burst Frame Rate/Buffer" | In response to Reply # 4

Fri 14-Aug-09 02:07 PM

Thanks Danny and wmarkle.

I am using Lexar 8gb fast UDMA cards. I will alter my image settings to JPG Fine to see how much this increases my buffer limit from its current capacity.

wmarkle-
If you have a definitive list of settings that will allow me to reach the 100 buffer limits capacity, would you list them here please?

Thanks again everyone,

Doug

wmarkle

King City ON, CA
76 posts

#6. "RE: D700 Burst Frame Rate/Buffer" | In response to Reply # 5

wmarkle Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2009
Fri 14-Aug-09 07:12 PM

Doug, there is no definitive list as there are many factors affecting a continuous 8 fps.

The above advice in this thread is all good but only touches the surface of the issue.

The MB-d10; 8 AA Ni-MH batteries must be fairly new and fully charged.

You might achieve 8 fps for 100 frames in 12.5 seconds if the D700 is set to manual exposure, manual focus, shutter speed of 1/250s or faster and with VR and D-Lighting turned off with an image format of large JPEG fine, or smaller.

Further, any delay in the autofocus for any reason will cause a further drop in frame rate.

Other factors that reduce buffer size are: JPEG compression set to optimal quality, ISO of HO.3 or higher and Image authentication turned on.

Most times this is not pratical, at least for me shooting at 8 fps in an attempt to capture that magic moment of a base runner, baseman, and ball all composed in the frame at that instant at night with just stadium lighting.

So I set up my Action Bank, the only bank that I use 8 fps, shutter priority, no NR, no D-Lighting, or anything else that reduces r50 on the r indicator. That means that most of the internal memory is used as a buffer, increasing the I/O speed.

I hope this helps

Wils

ylwdog

US
146 posts

#7. "RE: D700 Burst Frame Rate/Buffer" | In response to Reply # 6

Fri 14-Aug-09 07:54 PM

Hi Wils,
That is great! Thanks for all the help on this and info. I get what exactly the logic behind this. I will try your method and setup a bank for this. And exactly correct about shooting 8fps, fast action.

Best,

Doug

G