Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
johnnyevil

Whitestone, US
798 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
johnnyevil Registered since 08th Jan 2008
Fri 04-Jul-08 04:41 AM

And it feels just like a D300. The camera is smooth as butter, though now that I am used to the D3, it feels kind of small, and I like the user interface on the D3's body more.

The focus was a bit slower, but I only got to test it with the 24-120 lens. Image performance seems to be the same as the D3.

The camera feels light, and the cf door seems flimsy compared to the D200, D300, and D3, since it's a sliding door a la the Canon 40D.

(I work at BH Photo, and Nikon's Technical Rep was in with one today to show the sales staff. I wandered up from my department to check it out, and he let me play with it cause he knows I own a D3).

Jonathan Keller
http://www.jkellerphoto.com
http://www.flickr.com/jonathanjkeller

jbloom

Wethersfield, US
7735 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#1. "RE: I Used It" | In response to Reply # 0

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004
Fri 04-Jul-08 05:39 AM

>The focus was a bit slower, but I only got to test it with the
>24-120 lens.

That's one of the things I've been wondering about. Everyone seems to have been assuming that the AF would be identical to the D3, but that's not necessarily the case. After all, the D300 has the CAM3500 (DX) AF system but is reportedly slower than the D3.

One quick test doesn't fully answer the question, but I find this report interesting.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

elopezso

US
4 posts

#2. "RE: I Used It" | In response to Reply # 0

elopezso Registered since 11th Jun 2008
Fri 04-Jul-08 06:16 PM

>And it feels just like a D300. The camera is smooth as
>butter, though now that I am used to the D3, it feels kind of
>small, and I like the user interface on the D3's body more.
>
>The focus was a bit slower, but I only got to test it with the
>24-120 lens. Image performance seems to be the same as the
>D3.
>
>The camera feels light, and the cf door seems flimsy compared
>to the D200, D300, and D3, since it's a sliding door a la the
>Canon 40D.
>
>(I work at BH Photo, and Nikon's Technical Rep was in with one
>today to show the sales staff. I wandered up from my
>department to check it out, and he let me play with it cause
>he knows I own a D3).

Jonathan,

Is the 24-120 lens a new lens as it has the VR II designation or was that a typo on the B&H ad?

Thanks for the report!

Ed

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#3. "RE: I Used It" | In response to Reply # 2

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Fri 04-Jul-08 07:57 PM

>Is the 24-120 lens a new lens as it has the VR II designation
>or was that a typo on the B&H ad?

It's probably a typo. There is only one version of the 24-120mm VR as far as I know, and it has always had the original "mark I" VR.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

johnnyevil

Whitestone, US
798 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#4. "RE: I Used It" | In response to Reply # 3

johnnyevil Registered since 08th Jan 2008
Sat 05-Jul-08 02:47 AM

It was the same one that already exists.

Will there be a new one? I don't think so yet. However, with two FX cameras, we can be sure that Nikon will probably announce some new mid price zooms for FX in the coming year or so.

Jonathan Keller
http://www.jkellerphoto.com
http://www.flickr.com/jonathanjkeller

G