Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Extreme conditions and the D700

William Rounds

Rambouillet, FR
743 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
William Rounds Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011
Fri 28-Dec-12 06:11 AM

I will be visiting Burkina Faso in January, during the Harmattan season. The Harmattan is a wind which carries extremely fine dust, reputed to get into everything. Any suggestions on how to keep the dust out when walking around the bush in these conditions?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

DinoCardelli

Plantation, US
236 posts

#1. "RE: Extreme conditions and the D700" | In response to Reply # 0

DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010
Fri 28-Dec-12 01:27 PM | edited Fri 28-Dec-12 01:30 PM by DinoCardelli

First,

I would bring along a couple of cans of compressed air to blow off each few hours....along with your normal Giotto blower......

Do not shoot any compressed air into your mirror or other internal parts as they contain water sometimes...

the compressed are should only be used at a distance to get off the surface dust....

think tank makes some covers...called Chimp-packs which will hold stuff....and I think they sell some body and lense covers...

DC

Visit my professional gallery.

GiantTristan

Stamford, US
2690 posts

#2. "RE: Extreme conditions and the D700" | In response to Reply # 0

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006
Fri 28-Dec-12 02:02 PM

Took the D700 to Patagonia, where it is as dusty and windy as can be and I had no problem whatsoever, just try avoid changing lenses in the open. To protect the lens from dust you might want to use a clear filter. I did not find this necessary, but I took care to remove the lens cap only when shooting.

Tristan

jbarden

Ithaca, US
32 posts

#3. "RE: Extreme conditions and the D700" | In response to Reply # 0

jbarden Registered since 12th Mar 2009
Sat 29-Dec-12 04:31 PM

What about something like these OP/Tech rain sleeves? They're inexpensive and look like it would help minimize dust.

http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-Rainsleeve-18-Inch/dp/B000PTFDYO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356805758&sr=8-1&keywords=dslr+rain+cover

robsb

San Jose, US
14977 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#4. "RE: Extreme conditions and the D700" | In response to Reply # 2

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Sun 30-Dec-12 01:13 AM

Tristan I would be interested in hearing more about the Patagonia conditions as I will be going there next year with my D700.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

GiantTristan

Stamford, US
2690 posts

#5. "RE: Extreme conditions and the D700" | In response to Reply # 4

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006
Sun 30-Dec-12 03:00 PM | edited Sun 30-Dec-12 07:02 PM by GiantTristan

Well - You have been to Iceland, just amplify the wind, rain & dust conditions and you approximate Patagonia. To minimize lens changes, I brought two bodies, D700 and D200 and three lenses. Lens usage was 47% 70-200, 35% 24-70, 18% 14-24. Sometimes the wind was so strong that one could not walk upright and I always used my camera bag to weigh down the tripod. To keep rain and dirt off the lens, I used a cpl filter for protection and kept the lens cap on whenever possible. I did not use any special care to protect the camera bodies from dust and light rain, for heavier rain I used a garbage bag for protection. For yourself, bring a windbreaker, a hat that you can secure to your head and a sweater. You will need adapter plugs to charge your batteries. The most "photogenic " part of Patagonia is Torres del Paine National Park in Chile, but the whole place is quite extraordinary. In case you are interested, here is a link to some pictures: http://gianttristan.smugmug.com/Latin-America/Patagonia-112010/14894550_MhSjmx/ Most of them are geo tagged, but not all, since the wind ripped off and destroyed one of my GPS units...

Tristan

MEMcD

US
31612 posts

#6. "RE: Extreme conditions and the D700" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Sun 30-Dec-12 06:39 PM

Hi William,

A Think Tank Hydrophobia or Aqua Tech SS Sports Shield Rain Cover and a Clear Multicoated filter will add an exrea layer of protection for your camera and lens.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

G