Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New D700 and New Strategy

kidkwattro

Loveland, US
17 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
kidkwattro Registered since 26th Aug 2008
Sun 22-Jul-12 08:20 PM

Hello fellow Nikonians,

It's been a couple of years away from the group for me due to a serious bout of recession... of which I am sure I am not the only one

A little story about my D700 (which I've had about a month now), or you can skip this, the last paragraph has my goals/usage etc.

I shot a D200 for about 4 years, loved it, still do. Was out shooting a forest fire (from a distance) and the metering button just sorta fell off, guess this is common. Had a shoot coming up the next week and my local stores were fresh out of dslrs. Was on a waiting list for a D800 (which arrived the day I got my 700 :| ), but they had no eta. I needed a body and can only afford one, so I found a new D700 at the online store I buy most of my computer gear from, had it shipped next day.

I was prepared to shoot with my D200 just in case but with the metering stuck in spot and the shoot was interiors with a mix of interior/exterior light I figured I would have some issues with the light balance. I literally received my D700 and went to the shoot without even unpacking it, I didn't have time. Got to the shoot and started with the d200, there were some shots I had to get right off. So the new camera sat in my staging area for an hour. I finally caught a break in the action and got the new camera unpacked and using my gear from my 200 (batteries, lens etc.), set up the 700 as best as I could in 10 minutes and dove in. I popped back to the staging area to find answers in the manual as I could and by the end of the shoot I was doing pretty well (I thought).

During post, I was really impressed with the quality, especially at higher ISO, where the d200 falls flat. I like to shoot bands at small local venues and I really got to work with the D700. The bands were thrilled with the shots and so was I. This camera is absolutely amazing in low light. I did the shoot with a Nikkor 50mm 1.4, Nikkor 24-120mm 3.5-5.6 and a Sigma 105 2.8.

I am extremely happy with my D700 .

So, here's the important stuff. I have decided it's time to go semi-pro this year with the goal of making enough to support my habit, to start. I have ideas on how to monetize some of the shots and how to bring in more business (I am not a wedding/event photographer for my own reasons). I am a web designer/developer by day and a photographer a lot of the rest of the time. I do travel, landscape and wildlife and bands for the most part with some architectural and models in between. I am hoping to be able to do some still life, automotive and expand on my model work this year.

I'll be perusing the posts here and I am glad to be back on the forums.

Happy shooting

scott conner
www.scottconnerdesign.com

https://www.facebook.com/ScottConnerDesign.llc

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD

US
31622 posts

#1. "RE: New D700 and New Strategy" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Mon 23-Jul-12 02:10 AM

Hi Scott,

Welcome back to Nikonians!
Congratulations on your new D700.
I am sure you will be as happy with it as I am with mine.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

TonyJ

Boulder, US
1467 posts

#2. "RE: New D700 and New Strategy" | In response to Reply # 0

TonyJ Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Sep 2004
Mon 23-Jul-12 12:18 PM

Welcome. Good luck with your new business.
Tony

D800e l D500 l D600 l D700 l Nikon 1 V1 l N90s l AF-S 16-35 f4 l AF-S 24-85 f3.5-f4.5G VR l AF-S 70-200 f2.8G VRII l AF-S 50 f1.8G l AF-S 300 f4 l 200-500 f/5.6 l TC-14EII l TC-20EIII l 2x SB600 l Autometer IIIF.
http://tonyjohnsonphotos.com
https://www.facebook.com/tony.johnson.photography
My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18758 posts

#3. "RE: New D700 and New Strategy" | In response to Reply # 0

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Mon 23-Jul-12 06:21 PM

Welcome back, Scott! Good luck with the new venture!
Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

G