Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 Bursting On Its Own

InnovEdge

Stow, US
12 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
InnovEdge Registered since 26th Jul 2011
Sun 29-Apr-12 07:06 PM

I'm fairly new to shooting with my new D700. I have an issue where I will press the shutter release and sometimes it will take one shot, and sometimes it will take more than one, even when I hold and release. Release,mode is set to single, so I'm a bit baffled. Bracketing is not on either. Any ideas. Do I have malfunctioning camera here, or am I missing something?

--- Ken Miller

NOMAD2

Avon Park, US
21 posts

#1. "RE: D700 Bursting On Its Own" | In response to Reply # 0

NOMAD2 Registered since 08th Mar 2012
Sun 29-Apr-12 05:25 PM | edited Sun 29-Apr-12 05:33 PM by NOMAD2

I have had the same thing happen on my D700. Happens about once in every 30 to 50 shots. It may be contact bounce or just my nervous finger.

Roger

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

nwcs

Knoxville, US
7030 posts

#2. "RE: D700 Bursting On Its Own" | In response to Reply # 0

nwcs Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Registered since 15th Jan 2006
Sun 29-Apr-12 06:51 PM

Are you sure the dial is totally on S and not in between S and CL?

KolinP

Weston-super-Mare, UK
248 posts

#3. "RE: D700 Bursting On Its Own" | In response to Reply # 0

KolinP Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 13th May 2006
Sun 29-Apr-12 11:46 PM

It may be no comfort to you that this also happens with my D700, and I think Roger's (NOMAD2's) estimate is about spot on for the frequency at which it occurs with me too.

My old "electronics" instincts hint at classic shutter-switch-bounce, but nowadays it is (I reckon) just as likely to be due to a less-than-perfectly tuned response by the camera's software to my finger's good contact-closure.

Given the relative 'maturity' of (a) tried & tested, gold-surface-to-gold-surface shutter-switch technology versus (b) the D700's complex and specifically-designed in-camera software, I'm voting for a software glitch ... and hoping that Nikon will fix it someday with a firmware update.

(For clarity - "in-camera software" here is synonymous with "firmware".)

Colin P.

--
Staying busy is easy. Setting priorities is harder!
A doorway to my other photo sites

mel_klim

Los Angeles, US
919 posts

#4. "RE: D700 Bursting On Its Own" | In response to Reply # 0

mel_klim Silver Member Charter Member
Mon 30-Apr-12 11:46 AM

This has also happened to me on occasion.

Snappo

Tulsa, US
470 posts

#5. "RE: D700 Bursting On Its Own" | In response to Reply # 4

Snappo Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 09th Apr 2004
Fri 04-May-12 11:43 AM

This has happened to me several times. I just figured it was (me) messing up with the in some way. Easy to delete dups.

a retired old duffer with the time to have fun,
Jim

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

#6. "RE: D700 Bursting On Its Own" | In response to Reply # 3

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Fri 04-May-12 04:46 PM

This has never happened to me in 70,000 frames although in truth I shoot most of my stuff in Ch or Cl mode unless using a remote. If it doesn't happen in all samples of the D700 that might argue against a software glitch???? Just thinkin' out loud here...

my Nikonians gallery.

expat

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT
532 posts

#7. "RE: D700 Bursting On Its Own" | In response to Reply # 5

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010
Sat 05-May-12 08:55 AM

Happened once on my D700 but more regularly with my D200.

Ed911

US
222 posts

#8. "RE: D700 Bursting On Its Own" | In response to Reply # 7

Ed911 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007
Sat 05-May-12 10:16 PM

While I'm not sure I'm speaking to the same problem, I've experienced a couple of instances where I held the shutter release down a little too long and my D700 took two shots in quick succesion...with the shot selector in S.

But, other than that happening a couple of times, my D700 operates flawlessly.

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

#9. "RE: D700 Bursting On Its Own" | In response to Reply # 0

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2005
Sat 05-May-12 10:23 PM

It is possible you may have a failing shutter. I had a D1H that went "ka-cha-cha-chunk" and the shutter ended up needed replacing. I was also intermittently getting black frames. Or you could just have a sticking shutter button if there are no skipped frames.

Nikon user since 2000

slothead

Frederick, US
1906 posts

#10. "RE: D700 Bursting On Its Own" | In response to Reply # 0

slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Aug 2009
Mon 14-May-12 10:29 PM

I seem to recall this issue getting some press some time ago, and then it went away. In that case, as I recall, it was only 2 shots at a time however. It happened to me at least once. I don't know if there was a solution or it just stopped happening or what...

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D810, D750, N1-J5, N1-V3 (and a few other cameras) and a BIG handful of lenses.

asnnet

Copenhagen, DK
117 posts

#11. "RE: D700 Bursting On Its Own" | In response to Reply # 0

asnnet Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2007
Tue 15-May-12 04:40 AM

It happens to me too - but rarely. I don't think that I've ever have experienced it taking more than two shots in succession.

This hasn't always been the case - but on the other hand the frequency does not seem to be going up.

One thing I can say for sure is that this has never happened when using a cable release - so my guess would be that the shutter release button is involved.

There probably is a fault somewhere - but for me, it has not been worth looking further into.

Anders

adcam

Portland, US
598 posts

#12. "RE: D700 Bursting On Its Own" | In response to Reply # 0

adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007
Tue 15-May-12 05:31 PM

This has happened to me several times with the Nikon grip. I removed it and it hasn't happened since.

dclarhorn

Berwyn Heights, US
14851 posts

#13. "RE: D700 Bursting On Its Own" | In response to Reply # 0

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning a Nikonians Annual Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002
Tue 15-May-12 05:41 PM

It happens very occasionally to me--usually when I'm pressing halfway down to focus but not fire yet. I'm sure it's because I'm pressing unevenly and going back and forth over the threshold of firing the shutter. Not sure if this is the same in your case.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

G