Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
ghamden

US
323 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ghamden Registered since 01st Apr 2007
Wed 02-Jul-08 03:41 PM | edited Wed 02-Jul-08 03:44 PM by ghamden

D700 Keep in Mind FF cameras make your lens shorter

FF 200mm is really 200mm

DX 200 x 1.5 dx multiplier = 300 mm

so prepare to get longer glass

I see an increase in value of Older FF Lens

For example Ritz is packaging it with the 24-120vr

and apparently this lens is worth 600.00 now

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/541532453.htm?bct=t13066003

He who Ignores Discipline despises himself

But whoever heeds correction gains understanding

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RWCooper

Winnipeg, CA
1019 posts

#1. "RE: D700 Keep in MInd" | In response to Reply # 0

RWCooper Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2004
Wed 02-Jul-08 03:38 PM

Hi,

It appears that the D700 with the 24-120VR lens is the standard kit configuration that Nikon is offering and not something exclusive to Ritz.

Enjoy!

Randy

westside_guy

UM
118 posts

#2. "RE: D700 Keep in MInd" | In response to Reply # 0

westside_guy Registered since 15th Dec 2007
Wed 02-Jul-08 03:47 PM

I'd like to see Nikon update the 24-120, since it doesn't appear to be well-regarded.

I decided that, for now, my walk-around lens is going to be a 24-85 (the AF-S f/3.5-4.5 version) - I found an "excellent" used one on Adorama. That'll buy me some time to see what else Nikon comes out with (if anything) targeted at full-frame cameras.

IntegrityPhotos

Deerfield, US
1253 posts

#3. "RE: D700 Keep in MInd" | In response to Reply # 2

IntegrityPhotos Registered since 26th Apr 2006
Wed 02-Jul-08 08:22 PM

"D700 Keep in Mind FF cameras make your lens shorter"

Not shorter, just their actual focal length relative to 35mm as full frame. The DX perspective doesn't "multiply" the focal length, it simply crops the image in terms of sensor capture size at 2/3s the original size relative to the 35mm standard. Just remember that you can accomplish the same perspective with either the in-camera DX mode of the D3 and D700, or with post processing. However, the big difference is in the sensor pixel count, and that's where the D300 has an advantage in ultimate resolution for the same field of view. But obviously there are other advantages to a larger pixel in the FX mode, not the least of which is light gathering ability resulting in the superb high ISO performance of the D3/D700 sensor. By the way, this sensor is not a Sony design, but is a proprietary Nikon design produced by an undisclosed manufacturer. The "potential" 24-25 megapixel sensor D3X will likely utilize the Sony one of this size.

OldPhotos
"If everyone possesses some measure of this intangible quality called creativity, photography is unprecedented as an outlet for its expression." - Ansel Adams

BJNicholls

Salt Lake City, US
10095 posts

#4. "RE: D700 Keep in MInd" | In response to Reply # 0

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter Member
Wed 02-Jul-08 10:27 PM

200mm is always 200mm.

The larger sensor does make your "reach" shorter to obtain a given crop at a given distance to your subject, but the multiplication factor depends on your history as an camera user.

Remember that the whole idea of a multiplication factor was to provide a visualization tool for folks who had spent years with 35mm SLR cameras. For someone going from 35mm to DX, the 1.5X factor is a useful visualization tool. But there's a generation who have only DSLR experience with DX (APS-C) format so they'll need to use a .75X factor to visualize how their 200mm lens will work on an FX body. For them 200mm will look like 150mm.

But 200mm is always 200mm, it's just a matter of how big the format is behind it.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

yelcab

San carlos, US
924 posts

#5. "RE: D700 Keep in MInd" | In response to Reply # 4

yelcab Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Nov 2006
Wed 02-Jul-08 10:47 PM

They must think we were born yesterday when they offer the 24-120VR1 at $600.

I got rid of mine for $325, and wouldn't couldn't want it back for more than $300, ever!!!!.

TXCiclista

Fort Worth, US
1791 posts

#6. "RE: D700 Keep in MInd" | In response to Reply # 0

TXCiclista Registered since 15th May 2006
Fri 04-Jul-08 04:19 AM

>D700 Keep in Mind FF cameras make your lens shorter

Though the pther explanations address the fallacy in this statement, from a "non-technical" standpoint, you really should be saying that the DX sensor makes your lenses "longer." If "200mm is really 200m" that's not "shorter" by any possible definition of the word. "200m is really 300m" is "longer."

But again, your focal length never changes, only the crop. You can make a FF with a 1.5x crop easily enough without using the DX mode on the D700. It's called Photoshop

-----
This is my Nikon. There are many like it, but this one is mine!

tomaswa

Oslo, NO
909 posts

#7. "RE: D700 Keep in MInd" | In response to Reply # 5

tomaswa Registered since 05th Sep 2004
Fri 04-Jul-08 08:07 AM

I think it will be bundled with a 24-120 VRII, at least according to b&h. Still, I would definately get some (much) better glass for a D700..

-Tomas

My Gallery

G