Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

I guess I need to get a D700!

mwhals

Winfield, US
1664 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2004
Sat 05-Jul-08 03:44 PM

I said I would wait for the next upgrade before I upgrade my D200. I consider the D700 to be the next upgrade past the D300, so I am on board.

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants. :)

lovemy8514

Columbia, US
2419 posts

#1. "RE: I guess I need to get a D700!" | In response to Reply # 0

lovemy8514 Registered since 05th Oct 2007
Sat 05-Jul-08 04:26 PM | edited Sat 05-Jul-08 04:28 PM by lovemy8514

They are two very different cameras. However, I am on the fence between the two for only two reasons.

I would loose the crop factor of DX bodies by moving from the D70 to the D700, so my 70-200mm VR will be 'seem' shorter unless I crop after the fact, which will yield slightly less resolution than I get with my current D70 (But probably better image quality.) One reason for me wanting to upgrade is because I already crop a lot of images, and the extra MP's would make the quality of my crops better. However, it would essentially be a wash with my longest lens on full-frame.

The other reason is the 70-200mm I own apparently isn't at it's best on a full frame sensor. I don't like the idea of vignetting at f/2.8 unless it proves easy to fix in Capture.

Other than the above, the D700 is calling me, if not quite as loudly as the D300!

I'll await reviews and flip a coin......

J a m e s
My Gallery

Using his camera as a pen, it is the photographer's job to tell a story: Each page authored in frozen moments of time.

All of my work is dedicated to my father, Terry Lee Geib (1943-2009)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mwhals

Winfield, US
1664 posts

#2. "RE: I guess I need to get a D700!" | In response to Reply # 1

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004
Sat 05-Jul-08 08:03 PM

I don't own any of the DX lenses and I have been yearning for my wide angle lenses to perform like they do on my F5. I would still have the D200 for cropping if desired. It is a no brainer for me. Maybe you could keep your D70 for cropping and use the D700 for wide angle?

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants. :)

lovemy8514

Columbia, US
2419 posts

#3. "RE: I guess I need to get a D700!" | In response to Reply # 2

lovemy8514 Registered since 05th Oct 2007
Sat 05-Jul-08 08:45 PM | edited Sat 05-Jul-08 08:46 PM by lovemy8514

That is a possibility. I won't be selling my D70, as it is still a good camera, and I wouldn't get close to what a decent, second body would cost me for it! (At least not a second body with a built in drive motor and features/controls I'm used to.)

J a m e s
My Gallery

Using his camera as a pen, it is the photographer's job to tell a story: Each page authored in frozen moments of time.

All of my work is dedicated to my father, Terry Lee Geib (1943-2009)

G