Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Getting D700 as 1st camera. But I have questions for the PROS

41cassis14

Chesaning, US
71 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
41cassis14 Registered since 15th Dec 2005
Mon 05-Apr-10 09:02 AM

Within a couple weeks I will be ordering a d700. It was recommended by you guys as the best full frame so there you go. My D200 will be the backup. Now that's funny. Because I still don't have a comfortable relationship with 200. Anyway here are the questions.

1. Is getting a D700 refurb from say Cameta a good idea? I got the 200 that way with only like 250 its on it and except for user error it has worked fine.
2. When shooting RAW, I always get some other non image file which comes with the RAW image. What the heck are they?
3. In June I will be shooting a calendar with local gals shooting in a renaissance tip. Of the 16 girls, probably six have really bad hair. I want to keep it long for my boyfriend is about the lamest excuse for keeping five inches of dead non-reflective hair ever. However I was wondering what you say when you are confronted by this. I live in the sticks and I will need to send them to a city nearby as the "stylists" here have everyone looking identical no matter what.
4. I need opinions on the perfect portable case or two. What I mean by that is in one case is the D200 and the D700, lenses, a few accessories. The second is for lighting and such. I am asking for opinions on how you set up your cases and what they have in them. Thanks
4. Finally, does anyone still use umbrellas in the studio or is everyone now using boxes? Also as an adjunct question, What is max power on your studio heads. 600, 800- 1600? Thinking about a couple of 600s and 1ea 800 and 1600 to take in the field. Thanks all sorry about the length. Everything is hitting at the same time.
Lar d'Fotog

Len Shepherd

Yorkshire, UK
12722 posts

#1. "RE: Getting D700 as ST camera. But I have questions for the PROS" | In response to Reply # 0

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003
Mon 05-Apr-10 08:54 AM

On your general assumption the D700 is the best Nikon FX - for the money. The D3s and D3x can be "better" - but only if you can afford them.
On 1 it will save you money.
Many returns are repackages because the original photographer did not realise a good DSLR requires more photo imput than a point and shoot.
On 2 can you be more specific as to what is in the files?
On 3 the best photos often come from the mosy attractive girls - do you have to work with all 16?
On 4 there is nothing "perfect" for every-one - and probably several hundred choices.
On 5 umbrellas are still used - but lighting up to 16 girls with small brollies or small softboxes can be challenging.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10537 posts

#2. "RE: Getting D700 as 1st camera. But I have questions for the PROS" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Mon 05-Apr-10 01:49 PM

You may have better results breaking this up into separate posts in the appropriate forums.

Cameta has agood reputation on it's refurbs. I think that's a good idea.

With some software I get an emabedded image - especially with backups or copies. I would not suggest anything without knowing what it is.

It sounds like a good stylist and make-up pro would be appropriate. You could probably do a search through Model Mayhem and find what you need for on location. The rule of thumb is to use light and color to direct the eye, so the key is placement and an interesting pose.

As far as studio flash is concerned, we've got some great expertise in the Speedlight Forum.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

41cassis14

Chesaning, US
71 posts

#3. "RE: Getting D700 as 1st camera. But I have questions for the PROS" | In response to Reply # 2

41cassis14 Registered since 15th Dec 2005
Mon 05-Apr-10 04:28 PM

Thank You Eric-

Well Said and I will take your suggestions. Sorry about jamming them up. I was really tired. Thanks again.

Lar d'Fotog

G