Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Looks like the rumors were real

Jess Sturgeon

Lawrence, US
2377 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Jess Sturgeon Registered since 28th Oct 2005
Tue 01-Jul-08 04:33 AM | edited Tue 01-Jul-08 04:43 AM by Jess Sturgeon

Well the rumors are real...

Nikon.com
Nikon Europe
Nikon USA
dpr preview

It was released with the SB-900, 45mm and 85mm PC-E lenses.

When people compared the D200 as 70% of the D2X, I'd say the D700 is more like 95% of the D3... if you add the battery grip, you get 8 fps. I can't see anything else that is missing? Identical sensor and AF as the D3, two "live view" modes, electronic virtual horizon, active D-lighting, DX mode, HD LCD, it all seems to be there. The viewfinder coverage seems hindered by the built in flash. As for the pro-build, the Nikon site states: "Rugged magnesium-alloy construction: Along with extensive dust and moisture protection and a durable shutter mechanism tested to 150,000 cycles, the D700 merges pro D-SLR performance with expanded agility." I believe it will be priced at $3,000 USD. I'm guessing the D3 will drop to $4k -- that is only a guess and I have nothing to base that on.

www.frozenpixelstudios.com

Ruyooka

Newmarket, CA
317 posts

#1. "RE: Looks like the rumors were real" | In response to Reply # 0

Ruyooka Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Nov 2006
Tue 01-Jul-08 02:56 AM

Hmm!! I was about to shell out $5K for the D3 on June 30. Then I decided to wait till July 4. Here we are. Decisions, decisions again!

As usual, Nikon Canada website is still asleep with no mention of the release of the D700. Will wait and see what the price will be and what happens to the D3 price.

Interesting times for the photographer.

Muniini
A Nikonian in Toronto

blw

Richmond, US
28563 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#2. "RE: Looks like the rumors were real" | In response to Reply # 0

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Tue 01-Jul-08 02:58 AM

> shutter mechanism tested to 150,000 cycles

That would be a big change from the D3's 300k.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Jess Sturgeon

Lawrence, US
2377 posts

#3. "RE: Looks like the rumors were real" | In response to Reply # 2

Jess Sturgeon Registered since 28th Oct 2005
Tue 01-Jul-08 03:17 AM

>> shutter mechanism tested to 150,000 cycles
>
>That would be a big change from the D3's 300k.

I agree, but I've never heard of major shutter issues with any of the Nikon DSLR's. The viewfinder is different, Bracketing has to be mapped to the FUNC button, but its hard to accept an $1820 difference between the D3. I'm curiuos how well the self-cleaning sensor will work, and if a newer D3s will have it .

www.frozenpixelstudios.com

warrent

Sacramento, US
284 posts

#4. "RE: Looks like the rumors were real" | In response to Reply # 0

warrent Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005
Tue 01-Jul-08 03:22 AM

Man oh man!

Now I'm really glad I didn't get the D300.

Looks like I'm going to have an FX and DX Nikons.

Life is good!
Warren
Sacramento, CA

D200, 17-55/2.8, 70-200/2.8 VR, 18-200/3.5-5.6 VR, 28/1.4D AF, 50/1.4D AF

mllanos1111

San Diego, US
231 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#5. "RE: Looks like the rumors were real" | In response to Reply # 4

mllanos1111 Registered since 15th Oct 2006
Tue 01-Jul-08 03:25 AM

Does it have the dual memory card slots like the D3?

F6, D300, F3/T, FM2N

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Ruyooka

Newmarket, CA
317 posts

#6. "RE: Looks like the rumors were real" | In response to Reply # 5

Ruyooka Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Nov 2006
Tue 01-Jul-08 03:46 AM

No. Only one CF card. See this review: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond700/
Muniini
A Nikonian in Toronto

jimtan

US
407 posts

#7. "On to the D3X" | In response to Reply # 0

jimtan Basic Member
Tue 01-Jul-08 04:13 AM

Now that the D700 is out of the way!

Best Regards

Jim

Ramesses

US
2035 posts

#8. "RE: Looks like the rumors were real" | In response to Reply # 5

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007
Tue 01-Jul-08 04:16 AM

Hi:

I am not really that surprised; I was expecting a “prosumer” FX Camera. What caught me by surprise was the timing and the number. I thought that Nikon was going to announce the D3X – 24 MP in July. However, they seem to have postponed it. Maybe they are having trouble with the sensor. In addition, I expected the D300 FX and not the D700.

Three months ago, I got the Tokina 12-24 DX f/4 lens. Later, I purchased the Tokina 11-16 DX f/2.8. After much deliberation, research, and soul searching, I changed directions and got the Nikon 14-24, sold the 18-70 DX, the Tokina 12-24 DX, and returned the 11-16 DX. I believe that I lost ~ $300. The main reason was that I did not want to get stuck with DX lenses. I now have the 14-24, 35mm f/2, the 50 mm f/1.4, the 70-300 VR and the Tamron 90mm Macro f/2.8, all FX lenses. My next lens would be the 70-200 VR, but keep postponing its purchase because I’m buying other things for the photo system like the 14-24, a 24” Widescreen for the PC, and just upgraded my PC.

I purchased the 2-year extended warranty with my D300, which will run out ~ November 2010 or just about the time for the D800 which might be FX and ~ 24 MP. By then, I should have the 70-200 VR and my new PC will handle a 24 MP FX camera files.

Trying to figure out what Nikon might do next is like trying to read tea leaves, on a Wiji board, inside a pyramid. Until now, Nikon was mysterious until they made the announcement and then all made sense, until now… that is. The D700 has me utterly confused. How are they going to compete with Canon when they are charging $1,000 more for a similar camera? Why D700? What happened to the D3X just before the Olympics?

Best regards,

Ramesses

A Nikonian in Kemet

My Blog: Hektors Blog
My Photo Album: Hektors Photos

ChristopherP

Snohomish, US
328 posts

#9. "RE: Looks like the rumors were real" | In response to Reply # 0

ChristopherP Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Oct 2003
Tue 01-Jul-08 06:00 AM

Very Sweet. I've waited for this one and looks like my D2Hs will finally have company. The dpreview article is a really good initial look. thanks
Christopher
My_Nikonians_Gallery
~
My_website

kjones95203

US
17 posts

#10. "RE: Looks like the rumors were real" | In response to Reply # 0

kjones95203 Registered since 25th Mar 2004
Tue 01-Jul-08 12:30 PM

Congratulation Nikon, the MB-D10 battery pack for the D300 works on the D700 also... backwards compatibility, what an idea!

lovemy8514

Columbia, US
2419 posts

#11. "RE: Looks like the rumors were real" | In response to Reply # 8

lovemy8514 Registered since 05th Oct 2007
Tue 01-Jul-08 01:07 PM

The only reason the 5D is $1000 less is because it is a 3 year old design. I imagine that when it is updated (5D MkII) the price will be in the same range as the D700.

J a m e s
My Gallery

Using his camera as a pen, it is the photographer's job to tell a story: Each page authored in frozen moments of time.

All of my work is dedicated to my father, Terry Lee Geib (1943-2009)

RWCooper

Winnipeg, CA
1019 posts

#12. "RE: Looks like the rumors were real" | In response to Reply # 1

RWCooper Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2004
Tue 01-Jul-08 01:23 PM

Hi,

Apparently the Canadian list will be $3300. No idea when it will be available.

Enjoy!

Randy

RWCooper

Winnipeg, CA
1019 posts

#13. "RE: Looks like the rumors were real" | In response to Reply # 4

RWCooper Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2004
Tue 01-Jul-08 01:27 PM

Hi,

Same here. I skipped the D300 as well hoping for something like the D700. So far my only real disappointment with the specs is the 95% viewfinder coverage.

Enjoy!

Randy

Ramesses

US
2035 posts

#14. "RE: Looks like the rumors were real" | In response to Reply # 11

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007
Tue 01-Jul-08 05:47 PM | edited Tue 01-Jul-08 05:50 PM by Ramesses

Hi James:

If I had to purchase a camera today, I would go for the D700. However, I’m not that concerned about it. The D300, to my surprise, was a bit noise, inside, and above ISO 800. I will migrate to an FX format with the D800 and the main reason I converted to all FX lenses. Regardless, Nikon surprised me for many reasons.

One of the biggest advantages of Nikon over Canon is the seriousness of the company and its backwards compatibility philosophy. They were predictable until today. The D400 would follow the D300, the D3x the D3, and the D4 would come after the D3x, for example – not anymore. If I’m not upset about the D700 – I expected the D300 FX – I would be furious if I were a D3 owner. The D700 is the D3 for $2,000 less. If that was not enough, the D300 was better than the D2x for $3,000 less. Why would anyone buy a single digit "D" series camera when you can get it 6 – 12 months later at a much lower price? I expect the D800 to be an FX camera with ~ 24 MP or just like the rumored D3x.

Best regards,

Ramesses

A Nikonian in Kemet

My Blog: Hektors Blog
My Photo Album: Hektors Photos

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4122 posts

#15. "RE: Looks like the rumors were real" | In response to Reply # 13

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Tue 01-Jul-08 06:22 PM

For situations where 100% viewfinder coverage is critical you can use LiveView. If you are framing that closely, slowing down with LiveView is probably not a problem

Note that 95% coverage really means about 2.53% missing in each direction. It's hard for me to imagine situations where 1.27% extra border around a image is that important. If it is, it can easily be cropped in post processing with a 5% loss in pixels

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

G