Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses

dmenges

Rochester, US
2237 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dmenges Silver Member Nikonian since 26th May 2004
Tue 15-Jul-08 07:09 PM

I'm moving up from the D200 to the D700 and had a couple of questions for you experts.

Will my Kirk L-Bracket for the D200 (BL-D200) fit the D700?

WIll my 2 Tamron lenses, built for the DX format, work on the D700 in DX mode? I understand it will not use the full sensor and will "crop" the image, but will it work? I love the Tamron 17-50 2.8 lens and rarely take it off my D200.

Thanks folks!

Don Menges
Menges Technology Integration

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#1. "RE: Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses" | In response to Reply # 0

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Tue 15-Jul-08 05:18 PM

I don't think we can be sure about L-brackets yet, but as D200 brackets do not fit the D300, I would be very surprised if they would fit the D700 (which is more like the D300 and takes the same vertical grip).

DX-format lenses will work fully on the D700 in "DX Crop Mode", whether they are Nikkor or another brand. This uses the central 5.1MP area of the sensor. Nikkor DX lenses will cause the camera to switch to DX Mode automatically; 3rd Party lenses should do so, but in practice some may not. You can always switch manually, but I'm not sure why someone would buy a D700 planning to use it mainly in DX Mode.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4968 posts

#2. "RE: Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses" | In response to Reply # 0

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Wed 16-Jul-08 05:44 AM | edited Wed 16-Jul-08 05:46 AM by KnightPhoto

Going from your profile to determine which lenses... Your Tamron 28-75mm is an FX, not DX lens. Will be interested in hearing your experience with it on FX. The 28-75 on theD700 will be the exact equivalent of your 17-50 on your D200.

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/fast_zooms.asp

SteveK
My Nikonians gallery
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange

English Patriot

UK
9 posts

#3. "RE: Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses" | In response to Reply # 1

English Patriot Registered since 23rd Jun 2008
Wed 16-Jul-08 09:31 AM

"but as D200 brackets do not fit the D300,"

The Kirk D200 "L" Bracket DOES fit the D300, I have one fitted!

So if anyone upgrades from the D200 and owns a Kirk "L" bracket for the D200, rest assured it will fit the D300.

Regards.

George Churchill

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#4. "RE: Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses" | In response to Reply # 3

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Wed 16-Jul-08 10:27 AM

Welcome to Nikonians!

>The Kirk D200 "L" Bracket DOES fit the D300, I have one fitted!

Thanks for the clarification

I have to admit I have not tried a Kirk BL-D200 on a D300. My statement was based on the fact that the Kirk PZ-109 dedicated plate for a D200 will definitely not fit a D300. I have just tried it again to be sure. The problem is twofold - the D300 is a millimetre or so deeper from front to back across the baseplate, but more importantly, the D300's tripod socket is nearer the back of the camera. It's difficult to understand how the BL-D200 could overcome these difference to sit snugly on the camera.

Do you have a picture to illustrate the bracket in place?

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

dmenges

Rochester, US
2237 posts

#5. "RE: Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses" | In response to Reply # 0

dmenges Silver Member Nikonian since 26th May 2004
Wed 16-Jul-08 03:28 PM

Thanks for the reply folks. I am more interested in keeping the lens with the 17-50 range than the fact that it's a Tamron. I may have to upgrade that lens as well as the camera.

Don Menges
Menges Technology Integration

English Patriot

UK
9 posts

#6. "RE: Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses" | In response to Reply # 4

Thu 17-Jul-08 04:51 AM

The proof of the pudding ...............

My D300 has a BL D200 fitted. It fits well and I use this combination almost daily - primarily with a Markins B1/Gitzo combination.

Absolutely no problems.

I do not have a photograph of this, nor do I see why I would need to shoot one. It just works!

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#7. "RE: Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses" | In response to Reply # 6

Thu 17-Jul-08 07:05 AM | edited Thu 17-Jul-08 07:15 AM by briantilley

>I do not have a photograph of this, nor do I see why I would
>need to shoot one.

Well, I at least would find it helpful. I have both cameras, and it would be useful to me if I could get one L-bracket to fit both. From my experience with the PZ-109 camera plate, I assumed this was not possible. The PZ-109 can be attached to a D300, but it does not sit snugly against the camera baseplate - the curved edges are the only places that touch, and the full depth of the screw is not used. I'll try to post an image later to show what I mean.

Maybe the BL-D200 has a more slotted hole for the securing screw; this might allow it to fit better but the top profile would still be slightly wrong. I'd just like to see more detail before deciding whether to invest in one

Has anyone else out there tried this?

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

English Patriot

UK
9 posts

#8. "RE: Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses" | In response to Reply # 7

Thu 17-Jul-08 07:51 AM

I am a little confused Brian.

I am unsure what role the PZ-109 fulfills in connecting the D300 to the Tripod Head.

The L Bracket connects directly to the Monoball camera mounting plate (B1). Slide in - Landscape or Portrait - and screw up. Nothing extra needed.

This is very secure. I use, amongst others, 17-55 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 200-400 f4 etc. Not cheap lens, so I can assure you all is very secure indeed.

My D700 arrives next week and I am wondering if this L Bracket will fit that as well? Maybe.

Regards.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#9. "RE: Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses" | In response to Reply # 8

Thu 17-Jul-08 09:38 AM | edited Thu 17-Jul-08 10:12 AM by briantilley

Edited to add image

The PZ-109 screws to the bottom of the camera and like your L-bracket, allows it to be mounted to any Arca-Swiss compatible head/platform. It differs from the BL-D200 L-bracket in that it is a flat plate and only allows the camera to be mounted in landscape orientation.

I would expect the top profile of the PZ-109 and BL-D200 to be the same, since both are designed to fit the same camera. I've added an image showing the PZ-109 on a D300. Note the angle of the plate and the gap between it and the camera body. You can see that the PZ-109 does not fit well, which is why I'm surprised that the BL-D200 does fit.

By the way, do I interpret your latest post correctly, to say that you are using the camera mounted to the head using this L-bracket with a 200-400mm VR Nikkor fitted to the camera? That sounds like a very unbalanced set-up, if I may say so.

But anyway, please do let us know if the bracket also fits the D700, which is after all the original subject. Pictures would be great...

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

English Patriot

UK
9 posts

#10. "RE: Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses" | In response to Reply # 9

Thu 17-Jul-08 10:40 AM | edited Thu 17-Jul-08 10:41 AM by English Patriot

"You are using the camera mounted to the head using this L-bracket with a 200-400mm VR Nikkor fitted to the camera?"

Absolutely not! As you may know the 200-400 f4 and the 70-200 f2.8 are secured directly to the tripod head via a lens mounted collar. I posted those lens merely to illustrate the quality of lens I owned. Perhaps a bad example!

To the point and finally.

The Kirk L Bracket D200 fits on the D300 very securely and no further "bracket" is required. This was also true of the D200. I shoot virtually every day, primarily with a tripod. I received my D300 very early after release and have shot tens of thousands of images since. I also use a D3 but due to the environment I work in, I prefer the lighter camera. Hence I will pick up a new D700 next week. (Superior Image quality than D300 - lighter than D3).

The Kirk L bracket was designed to be used enabling the photographer to switch quickly from landscape orientation to portrait. 80% of all images sold to mags. are in portrait mode as you may know but I always shoot in both formats. I cannot see why you should think the L bracket requires any further attachment? How do you change format?

Anyway, I don`t hang around long on any forums, the odd look occasionally, no more.

Perhaps you could attach an image of how you use your L Bracket? As you know, non paying members are precluded from posing attachments.

Juat noticed your image! Thanks!

English Patriot

UK
9 posts

#11. "RE: Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses" | In response to Reply # 9

Thu 17-Jul-08 10:43 AM

Brian, the PZ-109 clearly does not fit!

However that attachment is NOT required to use the BL D200.

I cannot imagine why you thought you needed it?

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#12. "RE: Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses" | In response to Reply # 11

Thu 17-Jul-08 11:26 AM | edited Thu 17-Jul-08 11:29 AM by briantilley

I'm not sure why, but you are completely missing my point...!

The PZ-109 is not an addition, it is an alternative. Your BL-D200 is (or should be) similar to a PZ-109 with the addition of a right-angled extension for portrait mounting.

As you have acknowledged, the PZ-109 does not fit the D300. So logically, the BL-D200 likewise should not fit a D300. Without an image to demonstrate (you could upload elsewhere and post a link here), I'm afraid I don't understand how you have been able to mount it securely.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

English Patriot

UK
9 posts

#13. "RE: Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses" | In response to Reply # 12

Thu 17-Jul-08 02:11 PM

"I'm not sure why, but you are completely missing my point...!"

Clearly not!

The PZ-109. Look here for a description https://www.photoproshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/362

You will note that this item is within a section of the shop entitled - CAMERA PLATES.

Whereas The Kirk L Bracket here http://www.photoproshop.com/index.php/cPath/36_61 is within a section entitled CAMERA L-BRACKETS!

The two items clearly have completely different functions. To compare same is frankly bizarre!

Having realised exactly what the PZ-109 is, I realised that I had one connected to my 70-200 f2.8! It is , as the shop states, designed to connect the camera, or in this case the lens to the tripod head. They are also commonly known as Swiss Arca plates, hence the confusion at times.

The PZ-109 will not allow you to quickly place the camera in portrait framing other than tilting your Tripod Head.

The whole idea behind L Brackets, and I quote from your site is: "Fast change from horizontal to vertical composition and viceversa without having to adjust your tripod and/or tripod head, while maintaining lens and viewfinder to eye-level relationship."

Both items fulfill different rolls and cannot possibly be compared.

Now then, for the umpteenth time! The MB-D200 WILL fit the D300! Whether you believe this or not is irrelevant to me but I would hope that at least someone may save some cash and keep their bracket to use on the D300.

Given that you have not tried the MB-D200, I find your ingrained beliefs rather odd!

Please listen, I have nothing to gain by lying! I use this combination daily!

You never know it may even fit my D700! If it does, you can be rest assured you will be the first to know - and probably ignore!

On a positive note, this was much more interesting than hearing that the D200 is a superior camera to the D300 and the D300 is superior to the D700 and .......... Jpegs are superior to Raw and ............. NX is superior to Lightroom ........ and Film will be here forever and .......... those sort of comments completely defy belief and completely lack substance!

The confusion with the MB-D200 and PZ-109 is, possibly, more understandable. Actually, no it isn`t, but it does correspond to a common theme on forums, which is why many people prefer not to join in the games!

I am now off to shoot tethered in my studio. Plug the D3 straight into my Macbook Pro running Aperture and away we go! No extra software needed! No doubt someone somewhere, who has never used Aperture will argue! On this point all I can say is the operation is seemless! NO "Work In Progress" here!

Oh well, back to my new IPhone! No, the MB-D200 doesn`t fit that!! Mind you, I haven`t tried - so maybe ...........

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#14. "RE: Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses" | In response to Reply # 13

Thu 17-Jul-08 02:41 PM | edited Thu 17-Jul-08 02:47 PM by briantilley

>Now then, for the umpteenth time! The MB-D200 WILL fit the D300!

The MB-D200 is a Nikon battery grip. It will not fit the D300. But you probably mean the Kirk BL-D200, which is what we have been talking about so far.

So, I'll make one last attempt, not to prove whether you are right or wrong, but to try and ensure that the member originally asking the question gets an accurate answer.

Clearly, the PZ-109 is not an L-bracket. It only allows mounting of the camera on the head in landscape format. My only aim in mentioning it is that, like the BL-D200, it is carefully shaped and machined to fit exactly on a D200 baseplate.

My PZ-109 fits a D200 precisely. As I have shown with an image, it does NOT fit a D300. In order to fit a D200, I assume the mounting area of the BL-D200 must be (near enough) the same shape and profile as that of my PZ-109. This certainly looks to be the case judging from the image about 1/3 of the way down this page on the Kirk website. If it is the same, then I cannot understand how it will fit a D300. I'm certainly not saying you are lying, but something (like my PZ-109) does not quite fit

Seeing an image of your BL-D200 mounted on a D300 will help clear up this confusion. It would also illustrate whether (since the D200 and D300 bodies are a different size/shape) it is possible to open the D300's rubber connector cover with the bracket in place.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

English Patriot

UK
9 posts

#15. "RE: Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses" | In response to Reply # 14

Thu 17-Jul-08 03:05 PM

This is like pulling teeth!

Clearly my eyes are as bad as your hearing! (MB-D200/BL-D200!)

Go and buy one and I will buy it off you if it does not fit!! I cannot say fairer than that!!

"will help clear up this confusion" You are confused I am not! There is NO confusion, just an inability to take YES, or NO for an answer!

"D300's rubber connector cover" - I occasionally use one connector concealed behind the Connector cover - USB. Used only when shooting tethered with the D300 - rarely. However I can confirm you can open the cover when the BL-D200 (there, I got it right!) is fitted; albeit it is tricky. You can close it more easily though.

My suggestion. You have two ears and one mouth - you know the rest.

Just to make sure no one has missed the point.

The Kirk BL-D200 fits a D300, period!

I am not going to bother to send an image "proving this" as I do not need to. I have absolutely NOTHING to prove to anyone. I may well be using it this evening and like the last 9 months, I am sure it will work very well!

Work In Progress!

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#16. "RE: Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses" | In response to Reply # 15

Thu 17-Jul-08 04:15 PM

You seem to be taking this personally; I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm not sure we can sensibly take this any further here, but I will post a link to this thread over in our Tripods & Heads Forum, where our resident experts reside. Hopefully someone will come over and shed some light

In the meantime, to summarise the salient points...

The original question was whether a Kirk BL-D200 will fit a D700. I think it is agreed that we don't know the answer to that yet! My supposition is that it will not, because (a) we know the D700 and D300 use the same battery grip and are therefore likely to have a similar baseplate profile, and (b) the D200 demonstrably has a baseplate profile and tripod socket position that is different from the D300. I have never handled a BL-D200, but I do have a PZ-109, which ought to be the same from a fit perspective since both are machined to fit the D200. A member is adamant that a BL-D200 will fit a D300; we have seen that a PZ-109 will not fit a D300 (or not very well).

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10636 posts

#17. "RE: Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Thu 17-Jul-08 05:22 PM | edited Thu 17-Jul-08 05:24 PM by ericbowles

Brian is correct - the Kirk D200 bracket does not properly fit the D300.

The bottom of the D200 bracket on the front of the camera curves up slightly - and as a result the front of the D300 pinches aginst the curve of the bracket rather than being nicely seated. While it will attach to the camera, it does not fit properly.

Likewise the D300 bracket will not fit on the D200. I have tested the RRS version of the D300 bracket.

Eric

Here are sample images taken today. Sorry about the quality - I was out of cameras and was hand holding.

Image 1
You can see that the D200 bracket does not fit snugly. Yes - I could force it into place but it does not fit without excessive pressure.

Image 2
By looking at the side of the camera, you can see that the bracket is not aligned correctly. It is about 5-8 degrees off.

Image 3
You can see the two L brackets side by side. The one on the left is the RRS D300 bracket and the one on the right is the Kirk D200 bracket. As you can see, the front of the D300 bracket is different from the D200 bracket. You might be able to machine down the front of hte D200 bracket to make it fit, but the front edge remains problematic.

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#18. "RE: Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses" | In response to Reply # 17

Thu 17-Jul-08 05:52 PM | edited Thu 17-Jul-08 05:55 PM by briantilley

Thank you for taking the trouble to do that, Eric.

It's not important to me who was right or wrong; I'm simply pleased that Don now has a more definitive answer (not entirely definitive, since we don't have an actual D700 to try it on just yet...

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

English Patriot

UK
9 posts

#19. "RE: Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses" | In response to Reply # 16

Thu 17-Jul-08 05:53 PM

I am afraid your summary is as poor as your understanding.

You said - "but as D200 brackets do not fit the D300,"

I said - "The Kirk D200 "L" Bracket DOES fit the D300, I have one fitted!"

You have not tried a BL-D200 on a D300 - "I have to admit I have not tried a Kirk BL-D200 on a D300+ I HAVE and do daily!

"but I will post a link to this thread over in our Tripods & Heads Forum, where our resident experts reside. Hopefully someone will come over and shed some light"!!!

There is NO light to be shed - Mr Tilley, listen, take a deep breath, it fits. My D300 is sitting here next to me. It is "wearing" a BL-D200. It has just been removed from my Gitzo Tripod that in turn has a B1 Mono ball Head.

"Resident experts" - what breath taking arrogance! How much more "expert" do you need to be? It Fits, I use it! Any "experts" wish to argue?

I have not taken this personally, but your last post reflects an arrogance and stupidity that is almost beyond belief and the like I have not witnessed (outside of Politics) for some time!

Within the big scheme of things it probably matters little!

Congratulations, I am rarely #### off, but you have succeeded!

But then that will count for nothing I am sure!

English Patriot

UK
9 posts

#20. "RE: Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses" | In response to Reply # 17

Thu 17-Jul-08 06:07 PM

"Brian is correct - the Kirk D200 bracket does not properly fit the D300."

Mr Tilley stated "but as D200 brackets do not fit the D300,"

Mine fits very well! I do not use cheap lens and I look after all of my gear. It is used daily and under variable environmental conditions. It has NEVER let me down.

If Mr Tilley could bear to be proven wrong, perhaps someone would send me an e-mail and I will gladly post evidence. I will expect a swift apology!

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10636 posts

#21. "RE: Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses" | In response to Reply # 18

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Thu 17-Jul-08 06:07 PM

One more thing - the mounting screw for the RRS D300 L-bracket fits through a slot, allowing you to position the L bracket in a manner that allows you to open the rubber flap for image transfer. If you were to try to use a D200 bracket, it would probably be difficult to open the flap. If you use a card reader that would not be an issue.

It is possible Kirk has modified the D200 L bracket, so if anyone has another version please post an image. I did try to use the D200 bracket before the D300 bracket was available. It may work in a pinch with a spacer.

Eric

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#22. "RE: Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses" | In response to Reply # 20

Thu 17-Jul-08 08:17 PM

Like I said, this is not about who is right or wrong or what type of gear we use, it's about answering Don's question.

What we have now seen demonstrated is that if Don's BL-D200 bracket is the same as Eric's, it will not fit a D300 and is unlikely to fit a D700. Your bracket may well be different for some reason, but unless we have an image of it to compare, we are all in the dark.

If you don't have a way of posting a link to an image showing your bracket, I'd be happy for you to email it to me to post here, but as I'm going to be away from my PC early tomorrow until late on Monday, I'm afraid it won't bring any quick resolution.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#23. "RE: Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses" | In response to Reply # 19

Thu 17-Jul-08 08:18 PM

Please calm down. This is getting us nowhere.

Thanks!

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

slowry88

Walnut Creek, US
303 posts

#24. "You're cracking me up!" | In response to Reply # 23

slowry88 Registered since 06th May 2004
Fri 18-Jul-08 11:48 PM

Brian,

He's and English Patriot, what else would you expect around Independence Day? Have you called Kirk to ask them? That's probably the easiest solution. They really are nice people and could probably answer your question right away.

In any event, this was one of the more enjoyable threads to read. Keep up the good, fun banter. Cheers, Mate.

- Scott
D2Hs/D80/D70(IR)/2 Models who won't pose for me

dm1dave

Lowden, US
13754 posts

#25. "RE: Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses" | In response to Reply # 19

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Sat 19-Jul-08 12:40 AM | edited Sat 19-Jul-08 01:25 AM by dm1dave

Troll? .....

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

RWCooper

Winnipeg, CA
1019 posts

#26. "RE: Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses" | In response to Reply # 0

RWCooper Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2004
Sat 19-Jul-08 03:44 PM

Hi,

I expect to have my D700 weeks before the BD700-L from RRS arrives (shipping to Canada can take as long as 4 weeks if customs decides to open the package). I plan to use a RRS MC-L plate on the D700 in the interim. This is a generic L plate that fits various bodies I have, FM3a, F4, D200, D70, so I'm sure it will fit the D700.

Enjoy!

Randy

IntegrityPhotos

Deerfield, US
1253 posts

#27. "RE: Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses" | In response to Reply # 26

IntegrityPhotos Registered since 26th Apr 2006
Sat 19-Jul-08 11:36 PM | edited Sun 20-Jul-08 12:02 AM by IntegrityPhotos

English Patriot
In spite of your obvious frustration with the feedback given by Brian and Eric, it would probably be of substantial benefit to you if you would "step back" emotionally and listen to what they and others are telling you. To use the Kirk D200 L-Plate on a D300 can cause a number of problems with not only the quality of your photography, but also possibly cause severe damage to your D300.

From a photographic image perspective, the orientation of the L-Plate on the camera body is critical to proper alignment for a number of applications, with one particular example being landscape panoramas. In this and many other applications, the L-Plate is an integral part of an entire system including the tripod, head, camera rotation device, nodal slide plate, etc. If the L-Plate doesn't align exactly with the camera base, the rotation of the camera on the panorama support system will not be correct, resulting in mis-alignment of the images. This will most likely produce inferior results when you attempt to stitch them together, whether manually or even with sophisticated software. There are many other situations where this is a critical issue as well.

And from an engineering/mechanical perspective, if you are using the incorrect L-Plate on a DSLR, particularly one that creates a gap between the plate and camera base, there is a substantial potential for the constant torque created by the tripod connection screw to distort the camera base, and could in fact pull the screw mount out of the camera base. To work properly the L-Plate is engineered to fit flat against the camera base to distribute the load properly. If it's mis-aligned, you're asking for problems.

Please note that I speak from substantial experience with Arca Swiss style equipment including a wide variety of lens and camera body plates by Arca Swiss, Wimberly, Kirk and RRS, as well as lots of other Arca Swiss style support equipment. And I own both the D200 and D300 as well as their "correctly designed" individual L-Plates. As an "old Indiana boy", I also was acquainted with the originator of Kirk Enterprises long ago when he first started up in Angola IN. His company has always been concerned with providing the best possible "correctly engineered" products to the photographic industry, at competitive prices. If the Kirk engineers thought the BL-D200 L-Plate would properly fit the D300, they would have marketed it as such. But they knew it wouldn't and had to create a new one in the BL-D300 L-Plate.

As an example of this philosophy, note that they market the same BL-D300G L-Plate for the MB-D10 grip for both the D300 and the D700, but have designed a new BL-D700 L-Plate for the D700 body without the grip. Here's the link to their website for these:

http://www.kirkphoto.com/lbracketsn.html

Even very small changes in camera body design require entirely new accessory equipment like L-Plates to fully function properly. While you can do whatever you wish with your BL-D200 and D300 body, it is a total misstatement to say, per your quotes "The Kirk D200 "L" Bracket DOES fit the D300, I have one fitted!", and "The Kirk L Bracket D200 fits on the D300 very securely" When you're dealing with custom designed photographic equipment like this, the word "fit" has the connotation of "fitting correctly from an engineering perspective". Clearly, the BL-D200 L-Plate does not correctly fit the D300.

Experienced photographers and long time members of Nikonians.org like Brian and Eric know that it's important to disseminate the most accurate information possible to those asking questions on this forum, since it can have a substantial negative financial impact if it's wrong. That's why they went to such lengths to attempt to clarify your posting information. And frankly, IMO, Brian's patience with this post borders on that of "sainthood"!!!

OldPhotos
"If everyone possesses some measure of this intangible quality called creativity, photography is unprecedented as an outlet for its expression." - Ansel Adams

dm1dave

Lowden, US
13754 posts

#28. "RE: Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses" | In response to Reply # 27

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Sun 20-Jul-08 01:31 PM | edited Sun 20-Jul-08 01:34 PM by dm1dave

It looks like “English Patriot” was just a Troll trying to get under Brains skin.

He has only 9 posts all hostile and all in this thread.
He clearly doesn’t understand the subject matter.
He refuses to provide images that show his side.
He quickly turned to a personal attack
He continued his argument after photo evidence was given that was contradictory to his statements.
Then he quickly disappeared (his profile is gone) after since there is no were else to take his attacks.

He will probably be back under a different name

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

IntegrityPhotos

Deerfield, US
1253 posts

#29. "RE: Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses" | In response to Reply # 28

IntegrityPhotos Registered since 26th Apr 2006
Sun 20-Jul-08 03:32 PM

Dave
You're most likely correct, and I considered that possibility when I thought about posting. But I went ahead and composed the above in the hope that it would help provide clarity to anyone reading this thread, and was confused by the conflicting information, so they could make a proper evaluation regarding L-Plates and similar support equipment.

OldPhotos
"If everyone possesses some measure of this intangible quality called creativity, photography is unprecedented as an outlet for its expression." - Ansel Adams

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#30. "RE: Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses" | In response to Reply # 29

Mon 21-Jul-08 12:24 PM

>But I went ahead and composed
>the above in the hope that it would help provide clarity to
>anyone reading this thread, and was confused by the
>conflicting information, so they could make a proper
>evaluation regarding L-Plates and similar support equipment.

I think your post did exactly what you intended.

Thank you, Richard

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

pcspecialist

Portland, US
1766 posts

#31. "RE: Kirk L-Bracket - Tamron Lenses" | In response to Reply # 3

pcspecialist Registered since 17th Mar 2006
Mon 21-Jul-08 01:30 PM

I also have a Kirk D200 "L" bracket and to say it fits a D300 is just plain crazy. Well, maybe one designed for the D200 with the battery grip but certainly not one for a D200 without. I'd sure like to see photos proving otherwise.

G