Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D 700 Review online - now also in English ( as of 7-15-08)

gnnyman

Wien, AT
34 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
gnnyman Awarded for his valuable contributions to the Resources Registered since 22nd Aug 2006
Mon 14-Jul-08 05:13 PM | edited Tue 15-Jul-08 02:15 PM by gnnyman

Hello to everyone,

I just have placed online my most recent review - this time the D700. Fortunately, I got my hands on one for a very few days last week, just after the official presentation.
There are now two versions online, the German one can be found here:

http://www.stillephotographie.at/NikonD700

The English version can be found here:

http://www.stillephotographie.at/NikonD700ENG

Nothing is perfect and complete as you know and I hope, I did not make too many spelling mistakes and typos...

Maybe a little help in deciding for this camera!

Georg N.Nyman
Vienna/Austria

dgillilan

Williamsburg, US
2695 posts

#1. "RE: D 700 Review online (as of today, in German only)" | In response to Reply # 0

dgillilan Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2006
Mon 14-Jul-08 10:37 PM

Georg,
I looked over your review in German and I look forward to reading your review of the D700 when you have time to translate to English. Thank you,
Debra

Visit My Nikonian Gallery: https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=94067
My Flickr Gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dgillilan/

gnnyman

Wien, AT
34 posts

#2. "RE: D 700 Review online (as of today, in German only)" | In response to Reply # 1

gnnyman Awarded for his valuable contributions to the Resources Registered since 22nd Aug 2006
Tue 15-Jul-08 04:36 AM

Hi Debra,

I probably need another day to get the English review online - not that difficult but a bit time consuming.

Thanks for your interest!
Georg

Joe Mueller

Frankfurt, DE
62 posts

#3. "RE: D 700 Review online (as of today, in German only)" | In response to Reply # 2

Joe Mueller Registered since 30th Mar 2004
Tue 15-Jul-08 06:45 AM

Thank you so much for that interesting review. Can't hardly wait to get my pre-ordered D700 !

Joe

gnnyman

Wien, AT
34 posts

#4. "RE: D 700 Review online (as of today, in German only)" | In response to Reply # 1

Tue 15-Jul-08 12:17 PM

Hello Debra,
The English version is online, please see my original message for the direct link!

Georg

nikolaj1972

wonderful copenhagen, DK
175 posts

#5. "RE: D 700 Review online (as of today, in German only)" | In response to Reply # 4

nikolaj1972 Registered since 13th Sep 2007
Tue 15-Jul-08 12:47 PM

Thanks,georg.
I will read it now.
Nikolaj Freiesleben

sorin

RO
386 posts

#6. "RE: D 700 Review online - now also in English ( as of 7-15-08)" | In response to Reply # 0

sorin Registered since 06th Sep 2007
Tue 15-Jul-08 01:18 PM | edited Tue 15-Jul-08 01:22 PM by sorin

are you sure about color accuracy? it's a bit high.
i find it strange that D80 has a mean saturation of 104% on adobergb and d700 125% (according to this http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D80/D80IMATEST.HTM)

i know imatest can measure prophoto color spaces but for some reason no one tests that (raw -> prophoto tiff)

gnnyman

Wien, AT
34 posts

#7. "RE: D 700 Review online - now also in English ( as of 7-15-08)" | In response to Reply # 6

Tue 15-Jul-08 01:36 PM

>are you sure about color accuracy? it's a bit high.
>i find it strange that D80 has a mean saturation of 104% on
>adobergb and d700 125% (according to this
>http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D80/D80IMATEST.HTM)
>
>i know imatest can measure prophoto color spaces but for some
>reason no one tests that (raw -> prophoto tiff)

Yes, well, that is, what I have got as a result. I was a bit surprised as well! Especially if you look at the difference to sRGB with the low 90%! I have not a good explanation, but I found one bug at that time in the firmware of that demo camera which I reported back to Nikon and they confirmed it. So maybe another one? If I get a D700 again, I shall look at this again...
Thanks for asking!

archivue

Paris, FR
5525 posts

#8. "RE: D 700 Review online - now also in English ( as of 7-15-08)" | In response to Reply # 0

archivue Registered since 26th Mar 2002
Tue 15-Jul-08 01:36 PM

Thank you for that detailed and interesting review
I hope a D700 will be in my future...! The capacity of using "normal" wide angles lenses and the low light shooting are really an asset that outruns all those little details on card slot cover or 95% viewfinder ! And being used to the D200, I guess the battery's life would still be better

Jacques

"Architecture and Photography are following the same goal ... To sculpt with light !" My Gallery...

Nikonians® - Worldwide Home for Nikon® Photographers -"Share, Learn and Inspire"
NikoScope® - Find Photography Friends From All Over The World
Nikonians Academy - Master Your Photography

gnnyman

Wien, AT
34 posts

#9. "RE: D 700 Review online - now also in English ( as of 7-15-08)" | In response to Reply # 7

Tue 15-Jul-08 01:52 PM

Thank you so much for this alert - I checked everything again and found out that by mistake, I have used the wrong NEF file for conversion into TIF! I have converted the file with the +3 enhanced saturation instead of the 0 (zero) setting! I shall change this right away!! Sorry for that mistake but thanks to your attention, it will be done promptly!
Best regards
Georg N.Nyman

>>are you sure about color accuracy? it's a bit high.
>>i find it strange that D80 has a mean saturation of 104%
>on
>>adobergb and d700 125% (according to this
>>http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D80/D80IMATEST.HTM)
>>
>>i know imatest can measure prophoto color spaces but for
>some
>>reason no one tests that (raw -> prophoto tiff)
>
>Yes, well, that is, what I have got as a result. I was a bit
>surprised as well! Especially if you look at the difference to
>sRGB with the low 90%! I have not a good explanation, but I
>found one bug at that time in the firmware of that demo camera
>which I reported back to Nikon and they confirmed it. So maybe
>another one? If I get a D700 again, I shall look at this
>again...
>Thanks for asking!
>
>

dgillilan

Williamsburg, US
2695 posts

#10. "RE: D 700 Review online - now also in English ( as of 7-15-08)" | In response to Reply # 8

dgillilan Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2006
Tue 15-Jul-08 02:31 PM

Thank you, Georg, for the English translation. I have printed this review and will read it on my commuter ride home from work. I have a D700 pre-ordered and cannot wait to try my wide angle lenses with a 35mm viewpoint rather than 1.5 crop,
Thank you for such a thorough review, Debra

Visit My Nikonian Gallery: https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=94067
My Flickr Gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dgillilan/

mwhals

Winfield, US
1664 posts

#11. "RE: D 700 Review online - now also in English ( as of 7-15-08)" | In response to Reply # 0

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004
Tue 15-Jul-08 03:07 PM

Thanks for the review. I am concerned about battery life, but I have two batteries already for my D200, so that would give me 3 batteries and two chargers. Three batteries should get me a good number of shots.

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants. :)

Asgard

East Frisia, DE
60164 posts

#12. "RE: D 700 Review online - now also in English ( as of 7-15-08)" | In response to Reply # 0

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004
Tue 15-Jul-08 04:00 PM

Thank you very much, Georg

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

DKESLERFL

Miami (Coconut Grove), US
3198 posts

#13. "RE: D 700 Review online - now also in English ( as of 7-15-08)" | In response to Reply # 0

DKESLERFL Registered since 21st Mar 2003
Tue 15-Jul-08 04:49 PM

Great reading, thanks for the effort and sharing it with us.

The CF card door issue is a strange one for me to decide on. I still use my old D100 a lot because it lives permanently in the trunk of my car with an 18-70 DX lens mounted. Every time I open the CF card door I think about how much faster it is than the D2X to get the card in or out. The door has suffered a number of hasty openings and closings and bumps for seven years and it still feels like it did when it was new. I'm actually looking forward to the retro style

Regards,

Don Kesler

http://www.donaldkesler.com

Through the judicious use of adjustment layers, no pixels were actually harmed in the processing of my shots..

mort

Aylesford, UK
171 posts

#14. "RE: D 700 Review online - now also in English ( as of 7-15-08)" | In response to Reply # 0

mort Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st May 2007
Tue 15-Jul-08 05:15 PM

Georg

Thanks for the review and the English translation.

Stephen

D810
F4s for B&W film
Assorted lenses

gnnyman

Wien, AT
34 posts

#15. "RE: D 700 Review online - now also in English ( as of 7-15-08)" | In response to Reply # 13

Wed 16-Jul-08 06:00 AM

Hi Don,

I looked at your portfolio of images - your Landscapes/Cityscapes, I do like very much! Very attractive and professional work, congratulations!

Best regards, Georg

LyleRussell

US
216 posts

#16. "RE: D 700 Review online - now also in English ( as of 7-15-08)" | In response to Reply # 15

LyleRussell Registered since 07th Jan 2007
Thu 17-Jul-08 11:33 AM

Thank you Georg. Nicely done.

robsb

San Jose, US
14820 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#17. "RE: D 700 Review online - now also in English ( as of 7-15-08)" | In response to Reply # 0

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Fri 18-Jul-08 06:15 AM

Georg thank you for your effort and the english review.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

BCarli1395

Lee County, US
23 posts

#18. "RE: D 700 Review online - now also in English ( as of 7-15-08)" | In response to Reply # 0

BCarli1395 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th May 2007
Fri 25-Jul-08 12:17 AM

Thanks Georg for the review of the D700. It has been very helpful. The review was well-composed and well-presented graphically. Thanks again for a very informative piece.

Bernard

G