Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Will moving to the D700 body force you to update your computer?

lovemy8514

Columbia, US
2419 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
lovemy8514 Registered since 05th Oct 2007
Tue 01-Jul-08 03:11 PM

I'm using a 2 year old Dell, and it does fine with my D70s and 2G of RAM. (Despite NX being an inherently slow program.)

Whether I go the D300 route or D700 route, I'm wondering if I'll need to get a new computer to go along with the increase in image size, or would it be simply nice to do so?

Even if a new CPU is not a necessity, a new monitor sure would be nice.......

J a m e s
My Gallery

Using his camera as a pen, it is the photographer's job to tell a story: Each page authored in frozen moments of time.

All of my work is dedicated to my father, Terry Lee Geib (1943-2009)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

johnr43

Weddington, US
866 posts

#1. "RE: Will moving to the D700 body force you to update your computer?" | In response to Reply # 0

johnr43 Registered since 16th Jun 2002
Tue 01-Jul-08 02:20 PM | edited Wed 02-Jul-08 07:20 PM by johnr43

If you're using XP(32 bit, I think), the system (mine, anyway) will only show about 3.25GB of RAM. I have physically 4GB, system info "reports/shows" 3.25GB. In XP Pro at least, the boot.ini will need to contain the /3gb in the line. Search the "computer hardware" forum for details. You'll need/want an external HDD also.
(update for spelling)

John Rice

"To every thing there is a season..."
MyPictureGalleryStuff

Mark V

Los Angeles, US
3386 posts

#2. "RE: Will moving to the D700 body force you to update your computer?" | In response to Reply # 1

Mark V Registered since 18th Jun 2004
Tue 01-Jul-08 02:34 PM | edited Tue 01-Jul-08 02:39 PM by Mark V

Rams cheap right now, put is another 2gb, or even 4gb of the fastest ram your mother board will handle. 4gb of DDR2 800 is under $100....just make sure your computer will handle DDR2.

If it won't I would buy new. Once your memory becomes obsolete and jumps in price thats the breaking point between upgrading and replacing.

My Nikonian Gallery

blw

Richmond, US
28713 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#3. "RE: Will moving to the D700 body force you to update your computer?" | In response to Reply # 0

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Tue 01-Jul-08 07:08 PM

I just upgraded from a 4mp sensor to a 12mp sensor, and my 2004-vintage computer is holding up just fine. Obviously things aren't as quick as they were before, but they're not agonizingly slow either. I have a 1.8 GHz AMD with single core and 2 GB memory. On the other hand, I don't use NX either - I use Photoshop.

Actually, the thing that's the biggest difference is simply how long it takes to download images into the computer, and that's really a function of the reader and card speed rather than anything in memory or CPU. And it's easy to just walk away while that's happening, too.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Mark V

Los Angeles, US
3386 posts

#4. "RE: Will moving to the D700 body force you to update your computer?" | In response to Reply # 3

Mark V Registered since 18th Jun 2004
Tue 01-Jul-08 10:12 PM

Brian, I was using an 1.8 AMD with 1 GB Sdram memory until a few weeks ago when I went to a 2.6 Quad with 4 GB DDR2. Photoshop never noticed the difference. However, Norton can now do a full scan in the background in less the 1/4 the time without slowing me down.

My Nikonian Gallery

Valentino

US
11613 posts

#5. "RE: Will moving to the D700 body force you to update your computer?" | In response to Reply # 0

Valentino Awarded for high level skills in landscape and wildlife photography Registered since 04th Dec 2004
Wed 02-Jul-08 11:18 PM

I had a D300 so the file size is the same as the D700/D3. My computer is over two years old with a Pentium 4 3.2 processor (non of that dual and quad stuff). I have upgraded my RAM form 1 to 2 and recently 3GB. I use NX and Photoshop and no problems at all. At 2GB RAM it strained once in a while, with only 1 it choked and died often

Albert J Valentino
Nikonian Moderator Emeritus

Vantage Point Images
Mastery of Composition is the Key to Great Photography

G