Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

CaptureNX1 does not support D700 raws, yet does support D3

MatthewAustin

UK
10 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
MatthewAustin Registered since 08th Jul 2008
Tue 08-Jul-08 01:03 PM

I use NX1 to work on the raws from my D200. I downloaded a sample NEF taken with a D700 from the internet. It does not open in my copy of NX(Version 1.2), i've read you need NX2.

Which raises the question, if the D3 (Whose NEFs open in NX1.2) and the D700 share the same sensor, why is different software required to work on the D700 NEFs? Is it just a flag set somewhere?

I dont have a problem upgrading to NX2 when the D700 comes out (If it isnt already included in the box). But i wonder if Nikon will update NX1.X to include D700 support.. bit cheeky if not, as the D3 would suggest NX1 to be capable.... unless of course the cameras are not as similar as we've believed.

adjuh

NL
78 posts

#1. "RE: CaptureNX1 does not support D700 raws, yet does support D3" | In response to Reply # 0

adjuh Registered since 19th May 2006
Tue 08-Jul-08 12:52 PM | edited Tue 08-Jul-08 12:56 PM by adjuh

>unless of course the cameras are not as similar as we've believed.<

Good point. Everybody expects the D700 to deliver the same quality as the D3. that would be grest!
BUT IS IT?

And another thing:
I would prefer to stay with NX1.3. Tried NX2 but find very few features that are worth the update. And I prefer some of the features of 1.3 over version 2.

grtzz
Ad

AndyMac

Odessa, US
3652 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#2. "RE: CaptureNX1 does not support D700 raws, yet does support D3" | In response to Reply # 0

AndyMac Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Dec 2003
Tue 08-Jul-08 01:59 PM

It could simply be that NX looks at the camera model in the Exif Info and when it doesn't find a camera it recognizes it says it can't open it.

That protects it from crashing if it tries to process a RAW file it doesn't recognize.

If that is the case I can't see why Nikon wouldn't update NX 1.3 when the D700 comes out.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Dave C

Dunfermline, UK
2004 posts

#3. "RE: CaptureNX1 does not support D700 raws, yet does support D3" | In response to Reply # 2

Dave C Registered since 10th Mar 2002
Tue 08-Jul-08 02:43 PM

"If that is the case I can't see why Nikon wouldn't update NX 1.3 when the D700 comes out."

Because there is no money to be had from free upgrades. Especially to "outdated" software.
Forgive me, but I am very cynical about the money making side of forced upgrades.

Always look on the bright side of life de dum de dum........... :) :) :)
Dave C
Scottish Nikonian
My Gallery

Valentino

US
11613 posts

#4. "RE: CaptureNX1 does not support D700 raws, yet does support D3" | In response to Reply # 0

Valentino Awarded for high level skills in landscape and wildlife photography Registered since 04th Dec 2004
Tue 08-Jul-08 03:55 PM

Every new body has a new version of NEF and requires an update to convert it.

I used to use the old Capture NX as my converter for my D200 and needed the newer NX1 to convert my D300 files. I also needed to upgrade from CS2 to CS3 to open the D300 files. I would guess that Adobe ACR in CS3 will get an update for D700 files but I suspect you will need to upgrade from NX 1 to NX 2 to open a D700 NEF even though it uses the same sensor and EXCEED processor as the D3.

The irony is you need to buy a converter from the company that sells the camera to get the results the manufacturer intended. At least for a short time NX was free with a camera but got many hooked on NX and now many are upgrading to NX2

Albert J Valentino
Nikonian Moderator Emeritus

Vantage Point Images
Mastery of Composition is the Key to Great Photography

DrJay32

Colorado Springs, US
3380 posts

#5. "RE: CaptureNX1 does not support D700 raws, yet does support D3" | In response to Reply # 4

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003
Tue 08-Jul-08 08:10 PM

Presumably, you'll be able to make basic RAW adjustments to D700 files in View NX, which is free.

As for D700 support, the word I'm hearing is that NX 2.0 already supports these files, and that NX 2.0 will be required for D700 files. I even found a D700 NEF on the 'net, and it opened in NX 2.0 (I'm assuming the file was legit, but I have no way of proving it).

It doesn't appear that NX 1.x will be updated to support the D700.

However, nothing is set in stone as Nikon has not announced what their software policy is regarding the D700.

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian
Author, The Photographer's Guide to Capture NX2
The authoritative guide to Capture NX 2.0!

www.luminescentphoto.com

Listen to The Image Doctors

G