Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 - The ultimate wedding camera?

Arkayem

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US
6109 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter Member
Mon 07-Jul-08 07:15 PM

As a wedding photographer, one thing that has always been lacking in my D200 is high ISO performance. The D300 did not give me enough improvement to justify the switch. I considered the D3, but the cost was prohibitive.

Now, the D700 seems to be priced low enough to get me to upgrade. The ability to shoot available light at ISO6400 and still have Noise Ninja recoverable images is the the thing that does it for me.

I only wish they would find a way to expand the focus areas to cover the entire viewfinder when using FX mode. I understand it was done to allow compatibility with DX lenses, and when in DX mode the focus areas do cover the entire frame.

Russ
http://russmacdonald.smugmug.com/
http://NikonCLSPracticalGuide.blogspot.com/

highlander

Maple Ridge, CA
259 posts

#1. "RE: D700 - The ultimate wedding camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

highlander Basic Member
Tue 08-Jul-08 09:39 PM

I agree that this is going to be one hell of a Wedding camera. I am very much looking forward to adding this body to my kit.
The high ISO thing is why I went with the Fuji bodies for the last few years, but with this new D700 being full frame and the colours from the D3 & D300 being as good as they are... I will be making the switch back to Nikon bodies.
I also never really got into the whole DX lenses, and I only have one, so the switch to full frame is not going to be a hard one for me to handle.

John R
Nikonian to the West Coast of Canada
Taking life 2-gigs at a time

Shuter

KIRTONS, BB
70 posts

#2. "RE: D700 - The ultimate wedding camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

Shuter Registered since 05th Dec 2004
Wed 09-Jul-08 09:27 AM

Hi Russ,
Your post has hit on the area I wanted to discuss.
I have done a couple wedding/events at up to ISO 800 on my D200/17-55mm f/2.8 AF-S.I was not happy with the results.
The D3 is outside my budget, but when I saw the D700 specs,I started thinking....similar D3 high ISO performance.
I am even thinking of selling the 17-55mm and 12-24 f/4, go for the D700 with the new 24-70mm, keep my 80-200mm f/2.8 2-ring zoom as well as my 50mm f/1.8, SB 800 and go from there.Not sure how well DX will perform on this camera
I too was on the verge of getting the D300 but was not convinced of significantly better high ISO performance.
I am waitng to hear of a full D700 workout/review, but at this point,I am sold.

Shooter

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G