Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon D700 and Tamron 28-300 VC

ahochan

JP
6 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ahochan Registered since 04th Sep 2007
Mon 07-Jul-08 05:37 AM

I'm considering ditching my D80 and getting a D700. The thing is, I really love my 18-200 VR, and I want to have at least some of the same flexibility of having one walk-around lens on the D700.

As far as I can see, the only thing matching the focal length is the Tamron 28-300 VC. Am I out of my mind to even consider using such a cheap lens on an expensive D700 body?

westside_guy

UM
118 posts

#1. "RE: Nikon D700 and Tamron 28-300 VC" | In response to Reply # 0

westside_guy Registered since 15th Dec 2007
Mon 07-Jul-08 04:05 AM

I guess it might depend on whether it'd be your only lens long-term, or if you'd have (or plan to get sometime) better glass available for other uses. Or it might depend on how good you are at working within a lens' strengths and weaknesses.

Boy that may have sounded a bit snooty; sorry about that. I'm just a person that loves to take photos - by no stretch of the imagination can I be considered anything other than an amateur.

I currently have an 18-200 on my D70, and enjoyed using it quite a lot. I did have a couple other lenses, though, that I used when necessary - such as a Nikkor 35mm f/2. But I've found that (in my case), on a given outing, I'm rarely shooting "all over the place" in terms of focal length. On a given day I end up shooting mostly wide, or I might shoot mostly long. Given the inherent quality trade-offs of a superzoom, I've decided not to go that route with the D700. But I'm not immediately buying pro glass (can't afford it right now, for one thing). I'm just starting out with the "best bang for the buck" used lenses I can find, like the 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 AF-S. Then we'll see what Nikon's offering in a year or so, since I expect they'll have to update a lot of their full-frame glass. I'll also have a better idea of how I like to use the D700 at that point.

In any case: Despite what anyone says, in the end all that should really matter is what makes you happy. They're your photos, after all. Some may think a superzoom is indeed a waste on a D700; but it's YOUR D700, so if you are enjoying using the superzoom then it's not a waste at all.

AndyMac

Odessa, US
3652 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#2. "RE: Nikon D700 and Tamron 28-300 VC" | In response to Reply # 0

AndyMac Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Dec 2003
Mon 07-Jul-08 02:03 PM

Am I out of my mind to even consider using such a cheap lens on an expensive D700 body?

I don't think so. I am looking into this lens myself to replace my 18-200 on my D3.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Philip Weber

Idyllwild, US
110 posts

#3. "RE: Nikon D700 and Tamron 28-300 VC" | In response to Reply # 2

Philip Weber Silver Member Nikonian since 07th May 2008
Mon 07-Jul-08 02:49 PM | edited Mon 07-Jul-08 03:20 PM by Philip Weber

I'd love to hear what others think on this too. I know the quality isn't up to my Nikkors and I wouldn't be using it for anything critical but there is some reasonably good glass out there for $600 and their six year warranty is impressive. However, I've never owned a Tamron and maybe someone could suggest a better solution.

I just bought the D700 & am going FX/DX as I have a D300 too.

My walkaround for the D300 is the Nikkor 16-85. Generally, that gets me most shots for just casual shooting. Primarily though, I am focused on landscape/nature and wildlife, and printing on 13x19 inch paper.

My other lenses are the Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8, the 200-400 f/4, and the 24mm PC-E (I also bought the Sigma 300-800 for birds and wildlife).

With the D700 on order, I completed my FX range with the Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8, the 24-70 f/2.8 and the 105mm Micro.

I am very new to Nikon, buying the D300 in April (just sold my Pentax K20D and 6 great lenses to finance the D700 deal). While I love the quality of the Pentax system, their lack of long glass and now, mid-price FX made me decide to go 100% in the Nikon direction.

A high quality walkaround option for the D700 would be the last piece of the puzzle and the 28-300 VC would also work on the D300 just as well I suppose.

After that, I will be looking for a NAS 12-step program!

It's great to be a part of the Nikonian community and I have already found these user forums to be very helpful.

Phil

yelcab

San carlos, US
924 posts

#4. "RE: Nikon D700 and Tamron 28-300 VC" | In response to Reply # 3

yelcab Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Nov 2006
Mon 07-Jul-08 04:21 PM

>
>
>After that, I will be looking for a NAS 12-step program!
>
>It's great to be a part of the Nikonian community and I have
>already found these user forums to be very helpful.
>
>Phil

12-step program? is that like buying a Nikon lens every month for 12 months?

Philip Weber

Idyllwild, US
110 posts

#5. "RE: Nikon D700 and Tamron 28-300 VC" | In response to Reply # 4

Philip Weber Silver Member Nikonian since 07th May 2008
Mon 07-Jul-08 05:37 PM

LOL...you're NO HELP!

It does, however, sound like a lot more fun than going cold turkey!

PW

ahochan

JP
6 posts

#6. "RE: Nikon D700 and Tamron 28-300 VC" | In response to Reply # 1

ahochan Registered since 04th Sep 2007
Tue 08-Jul-08 01:27 AM

As for additional glass, I have a 50/f1.8 and plan to get a 30/f2.

More long-term I also want an ultra-wide option, probably the 17-35/f2.8.

Is there any 24-200 lens with VR available for Nikon? I'd probably be just as happy with that as a 28-300.

G