Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
noire

Edmonton, CA
31 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
noire Registered since 04th Nov 2005
Fri 04-Jul-08 07:31 PM | edited Fri 04-Jul-08 07:58 PM by noire

I sold my d200 to my brother in March as he needed a new camera. I have been waiting on a D300 order recently. I have the 80-200 AF-D, 50 1.8 and tokina 12-24. I've been saving up the last 8 months for upgrade to a D3 / FX system. I shoot at 200 or at 12 most of the time and break out the 50 mm for low light situations or for light travel.

I am going to be purchasing the D3 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8 and a 70-200 2.8 AF-S VR(current model if a new one hasn't been announced) by end of August. I've also had on order a 105 2.8 af-s VR Micro along with a D300/grip/en-el4a .

The reason I've been interested in the going with the d300 is so that I could keep my telephoto on that, and then either my 24-70 or 14-24 with the d3. I love the reach at 200 on dx, and it's been quite nice. However, with the announcement of the d700, and seeing that I haven't committed to keeping dx in my upcoming kit, I was wondering if I should just switch over to full fx.

Now, in my mind, I see dx / fx living together quite nicely in a kit (as I know there are those that shoot d3/d300 combo up till now). However, I would really like to hear reasons pro or con for me to go with d300/d3 vs. d700/d3 .

I've been reading through the Nikonians forums for the last couple years and only post when I really can't find enough answers or if I feel I can really offer relevant opinion to fellow members. I've found this particular topic approached from different angles, but specifically looking at it from comparing these two combinations and what's the pros and cons I haven't found. So, your opinions would be really appreciated

If there is a specific thread dealing with this exact cirumstance or when where I could redirect the question, please let me know.

Much Thanks as usual Nikonians!

___

Shivaan My gallery

vmist

New Canaan, US
131 posts

#1. "RE: DX/FX or FX/FX ?" | In response to Reply # 0

vmist Registered since 28th May 2002
Fri 04-Jul-08 05:46 PM

Shivaan,
Im not trying to make your decision any more complicated however I will! I am going down a different road. I am buying a D700 to pair up with my D300. Why am I doing this? I think the DX/FX combo is very powerful. You get the reach and lightweight of the D300 (I love this camera) and you also get the low light and image quality of an FX sensor. All of this in relatively small packages. I chose not to purchase a D3 when it came out for 2 reasons, 1)It is really heavy and after owning a D2x and finding that I left it home most of the time because of the weight, I came to the conclusion that no feature of a camera is very good if you dont use it, 2) I wanted a kit that shared accessories.
Think of it this way, for the price of a D300 & D700, you will spend no more money than you would on just the D3 body. You also get the advantage of a kit that uses the same accessories and batteries. You will not need to carry multiple battery chargers, using the power grip is completely your choice and you will be 97% covered with the feature set that a D300/D3 kit would give you. To me this is the best combination I could ever ask for. And dont forget you can use the D300/D700 batteries in the power grip as well. Hope these points give you something to think about and maybe save you money
I cant wait till my D700 comes!
Regards,
Vincent
Connecticut Nikonian
My Nikonians Gallery

noire

Edmonton, CA
31 posts

#2. "RE: DX/FX or FX/FX ?" | In response to Reply # 1

Fri 04-Jul-08 05:58 PM | edited Fri 04-Jul-08 05:59 PM by noire

Hi Vincent,

Thank you for your swift reply and I give thanks for adding another element to it because I think the d300/d700 combination speaks to the same case as mine as well: the dx/fx combination's advantage.

I have been thinking about the d300/d700 combination. The weight of the d3 I am not worried about at the moment (however, a few hours of using it and I might say differently.) On first impressions when holding the d3, I did fall in love with just how solid it was. I do have a tendency of being in situations where the more rugged the body the better, so that's one reason I am swinging towards the d3. In addition, the weight of the d700 by itself when it is bare, is half a pound lighter (from what I've read?) but once you add the grip and extra battery it can go up to at least 2 more pounds. Since I would be shooting mostly with the grip to gain the extra fps, I figure weight is actually lighter with the D3.

Still, I definately should be considering the d300/d700 combo as well.

Thanks for the very helpful input Vincent and congrats on the D700 order!
____

Shivaan My gallery

Joves

Flagstaff, US
506 posts

#3. "RE: DX/FX or FX/FX ?" | In response to Reply # 2

Joves Registered since 28th Jan 2006
Sat 05-Jul-08 12:12 AM

I too am going the D300/700 combo. Im not to hot on the DX mode in either the D3 or 700 so, keeping my D300 is a no brainer, afterall it is a great camera in its own right.

I shoot therefore, Iam.
http://joves.smugmug.com

thedeltafox

Vancouver, CA
197 posts

#4. "RE: DX/FX or FX/FX ?" | In response to Reply # 0

thedeltafox Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Aug 2007
Sat 05-Jul-08 10:29 PM

thedeltafox
http://thedeltafox.smugmug.com

Count me in with the D300/700 combination. I will sell my D200 to make room. I use both camera with the battery grip and with L-Brackets.

Cheers from Vancouver
Dennis

Donzo98

US
463 posts

#5. "RE: DX/FX or FX/FX ?" | In response to Reply # 4

Donzo98 Silver Member Charter Member
Sat 05-Jul-08 11:06 PM

I agree with the FX /DX combo but I went with the D3/D2XS combo.

noire

Edmonton, CA
31 posts

#6. "RE: DX/FX or FX/FX ?" | In response to Reply # 5

Wed 09-Jul-08 02:23 AM

Hi Everyone, thank you very much for your input. I've actually decided to go with the FX/FX d3/d700. It was definitely for personal preference. I was taking a closer look these last few days at my longer reach photos. I thought of the particular situations and realized that I actually preferred going closer, and in most cases had the opportunity, but because of the extra reach of my 80-200, I would felt the need to back up more. This let me in some awkward spots, sometimes leaving me at the will of audiences' heads in the way, or almost underneath tables, leaving spectators of events and myself in almost awkward moments. Moreso, looking at a set of my tele photos that stood out in my mind for their reach, I realized that about 30-40 percent of them were actually around 150 mm (so cropped to view as 250 mm) and that maybe about another 40 percent of them were 200 mm (so 300 mm) but only because I had to move back farther when my first shooting spot were too tight.

So, with some deeper thought about it I felt that I actually didn't need the extra reach of 1.5 crop factor on the 80-200. Hence, I'm going for the d700/d3 combo.

Again, it was great hearing your setups and the why's as well, so thanks for the help everyone!

___

Shivaan My gallery

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#7. "RE: DX/FX or FX/FX ?" | In response to Reply # 2

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Wed 09-Jul-08 08:52 AM

>...but once you add the grip and extra battery
>it can go up to at least 2 more pounds.

I've read that too, but I don't think it's accurate. The MB-D10 grip with an EN-EL3E battery installed weighs 13oz (0.81lb). With an EN-EL4a installed it would be a little heavier, but I doubt very much if it would be 2lb.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

G