Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
lifthard1

calera, US
517 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
lifthard1 Registered since 21st Sep 2009
Tue 26-Oct-10 05:39 PM

i just aquired this form a friend whos father got out of the hobby and was wondering if my D700 and D300 will recognize this lens or do I need to enter the lens info under the menu settings for non cpu lens.
TY for your help

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Bart B

Loveland, CO, US
122 posts

#1. "RE: 105 AIS Lens" | In response to Reply # 0

Bart B Registered since 06th Mar 2007
Tue 26-Oct-10 04:04 PM | edited Tue 26-Oct-10 04:08 PM by Bart B

Page 372 in my D700 manual says it'll do just fine after it's set up in the non-CPU lens menu. I use a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 and some old Series E lenses on my D700 and they're all AIS lenses. Here's the notes from that page on AI-, AI-modified, Nikkor or Nikon Series E lenses:

3 With maximum aperture of f/5.6 or faster.

4 If maximum aperture is specified using Non-CPU lens data (pg. 210), aperture value will be displayed in viewfinder and control panel.

5 Can be used only if lens focal length and maximum aperture are specified using Non-CPU lens data (pg. 210). Use spot or center-weighted metering if desired results are not achieved.

6 For improved precision, specify lens focal length and maximum aperture using Non-CPU lens data (pg. 210).

Bart

DSLR's: D40, D700
FSLR's: FG, N80, F100
DX Lenses: Nikkor 18-55 VR, 18-70, 55-200 VR
FX Lenses: Nikkor 18-35, 24-85, 28-80, 28-200, two 50's, 70-300 VR, Nikon Series E 28, 100 & 135.
Speedlights: SB-15, SB-600

USN, Retired
Hewlett-Packard, Retired

lifthard1

calera, US
517 posts

#2. "RE: 105 AIS Lens" | In response to Reply # 1

Tue 26-Oct-10 04:12 PM

Thank you for your fast response

MEMcD

US
31276 posts

#3. "RE: 105 AIS Lens" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Tue 26-Oct-10 07:33 PM

Hi Mark,

The 105mm AIS is a non-CPU lens, therefore you must enter the lens info in the camera menu.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Pursuit

Kirkland, US
2111 posts

#4. "RE: 105 AIS Lens" | In response to Reply # 0

Pursuit Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2003
Thu 28-Oct-10 01:27 AM

Once you've entered the information into your camera, be prepared to be dazzled. That lens is legendary. It is smooth as butter and has a bokeh that is out of this world.

Jim Kelly
Seasonally 808

lifthard1

calera, US
517 posts

#5. "RE: 105 AIS Lens" | In response to Reply # 4

Thu 28-Oct-10 09:24 AM

One more question. DOes the lens affect the AF-Mode of the camera will I still have the chose of single point, dynamic and auto af focus?
TY

Jim Mohundro

Seattle, US
450 posts

#6. "RE: 105 AIS Lens" | In response to Reply # 5

Jim Mohundro Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jul 2008
Thu 28-Oct-10 03:04 PM

The AIS lenses were designed before autofocus, so your 105 is a manual focus lens; however, it's a fine one, and always my favorite in my film days. I enjoy using my 105, 135 and 24 AIS lenses on my D700. It takes a bit more practice and and can be challenging for moving subjects (sports, small children), but the image quality can be quite rewarding.

I only wish the D700 had a "real" ground glass for focusing (of the quality of the Nikon F and Nikkormats which my first SLRs).

In any event, when you get the hang of it, I suspect you'll really like the images you can create.

Bart B

Loveland, CO, US
122 posts

#7. "RE: 105 AIS Lens" | In response to Reply # 6

Bart B Registered since 06th Mar 2007
Thu 28-Oct-10 09:56 PM

>I only wish the D700 had a "real" ground glass for
>focusing (of the quality of the Nikon F and Nikkormats which
>my first SLRs).

I personally think Nikon's latest focussing screens are far superior to the old ones in their early film SLR's. The split image focus spot in the early ones helped but the overall image quality of the recent ones is remarkable. And for me, in dim light, focussing shorter focal length lenses is a lot more precise using that little green dot than aligning two images.

What's not "real" about Nikon's current screens on their DSLR's.

Bart

Jim Mohundro

Seattle, US
450 posts

#8. "RE: 105 AIS Lens" | In response to Reply # 7

Jim Mohundro Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jul 2008
Fri 29-Oct-10 03:41 PM

Bart,

I'm sure this is completely subjective--or maybe it's my eyes or faulty memory (I suspect that you're much younger and are better ocularly equipped). At least my longer lenses seemed to "snap" into focus with the older, slighter coarser screens. Wider lenses are more of a focusing challenge in any event and I believe focused best on my pre-SLR Leica M2 and Nikon S3.

Perhaps I should either add a Nikon magnifier eyepiece or gain more confidence in the green dot, or both. What do you think?

Jim

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#9. "RE: 105 AIS Lens" | In response to Reply # 7

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Fri 29-Oct-10 04:29 PM

Today's focusing screens tend to be optimised for autofocus rather than manual. That's understandable, given how the vast majority of owners will use them.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

robsb

San Jose, US
14830 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#10. "RE: 105 AIS Lens" | In response to Reply # 8

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Fri 29-Oct-10 06:06 PM

I have a number of Manual Focus lenses and I also usually use my 200 mm Micro Nikkor in manual mode, although it is AFD. I find the D700 screen much easier to use with manual focus lenses than my D200. I think I even like it better than my old F3HP screen. I wear glasses and don't use a magnifier.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

G