Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

'Mastering the Nikon D700' or Thom's D700 Guide--or both?

Jim Mohundro

Seattle, US
450 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Jim Mohundro Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jul 2008
Tue 11-May-10 05:00 PM | edited Tue 11-May-10 08:58 PM by Jim Mohundro

I note many Nikonians' recommendations for 'Mastering the Nikon D700'. I've used Thom Hogan's D80 and D200 E-book guides, and his D80 summary softbound guide (there apparently never was a hardcover D200 guide) and these guides have been extremely comprehensive and useful. I have purchased Thom's D700 E-book and softcover "Nikon D700 to Go" and I'm slowly working my way through the E-Book (759 pages) with the factory manual in one hand and the D700 in the other (sometimes in both hands--it's pretty sturdy).

After investment in Thom's substantial D700 materials, would I really further enhance and illuminate my D700 learning experience with the additional purchase of 'Mastering the Nikon D700'?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

nwcs

Knoxville, US
7030 posts

#1. "RE: 'Mastering the Nikon D700' or Thom's D700 Guide--or both?" | In response to Reply # 0

nwcs Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Registered since 15th Jan 2006
Tue 11-May-10 03:08 PM

I've had the Mastering D300 book and TH's D700 book so I can kinda make a comparison. TH's book is thick and very detailed but I don't know how relevant some of the detail really is. I mean, it's fascinating to learn how the sensor works and all the ways it can screw things up but it doesn't translate to better pictures for me.

On the other hand, the Mastering book (I'm sure the D700 isn't too far from the D300 one) is a bit too simplistic. It's geared more towards an audience that hasn't used Nikon cameras for a long time. A lot of basics are covered and a lot of features in isolation but not a lot of practical insight.

Honestly, and I didn't think I would say this until I read them, I would say the most *useful* guides aren't the ones that teach you the camera. It'd be something like Scott Kelby's Digital Photography books where he gives you practical applications and applied methods of photography which is what I think we're really looking for in these guides.

C_F

Anderson, US
80 posts

#2. "RE: 'Mastering the Nikon D700' or Thom's D700 Guide--or both?" | In response to Reply # 1

C_F Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Jan 2008
Tue 11-May-10 05:51 PM

After working through all the above books with my D300 I actually like
David Busch's Nikon D700 Guide to Digital SLR Photography (although just in chapter 4 right now) - well written and also giving some 'real world' advise & application hints and the 'why' you might want to use this or that...

I agree though, going and trying this wonderful piece of equipment out for yourself IS the best teacher!

Good luck & foremost enjoy
Franz

Don't dream your life - live your dream

sidewinder

US
737 posts

#3. "RE: 'Mastering the Nikon D700' or Thom's D700 Guide--or both?" | In response to Reply # 1

sidewinder Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010
Tue 11-May-10 07:22 PM

>Honestly, and I didn't think I would say this until I read them, I would say the most *useful* guides aren't the ones
>that teach you the camera. It'd be something like Scott Kelby's Digital Photography books where he gives you practical
>applications and applied methods of photography which is what I think we're really looking for in these guides.

I find Scott Kelby's books quite useful for information on taking photographs.

The entire point of Thom Hogan's guides are to teach you about the camera, not how to take great photographs. If you read through Hogan's book on your camera, you will have a decent understanding of every feature you camera has. You will even have an idea on when it is appropriate to use those features.

So, Kelby's books are useless to me when it comes to helping me understand my camera.

In other words, which books are more *useful* depends on what information I need.

Scott

The important thing is never to stop questioning. -Albert Einstein

It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry. -Thomas Paine

nwcs

Knoxville, US
7030 posts

#4. "RE: 'Mastering the Nikon D700' or Thom's D700 Guide--or both?" | In response to Reply # 3

nwcs Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Registered since 15th Jan 2006
Wed 12-May-10 01:07 AM

They each play a part to be certain but I still think that it's more useful to me to know how to approach shots than to know how many electrons will skip from one photosite to another.

sidewinder

US
737 posts

#5. "RE: 'Mastering the Nikon D700' or Thom's D700 Guide--or both?" | In response to Reply # 4

sidewinder Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010
Wed 12-May-10 01:27 AM

>They each play a part to be certain but I still think that it's more useful to me to know how to approach shots than to
>know how many electrons will skip from one photosite to another.

They are completely different types of books intended to provide completely different information.

The OP was not asking about books that help him with the creative process so what you are saying, while valid, makes little sense here in this thread.

Scott

The important thing is never to stop questioning. -Albert Einstein

It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry. -Thomas Paine

donaldo

Ladera Ranch, US
13 posts

#6. "RE: 'Mastering the Nikon D700' or Thom's D700 Guide--or both?" | In response to Reply # 1

donaldo Registered since 09th Jan 2010
Tue 18-May-10 06:05 PM

When I upgraded from my D80 to the D700 in December, 2009, I read everything I could get my hands on (including both the "mastering" and "Thom's" guides + Ken Rockwell's on-line guide), and also ordered D700 dvd's, basic & advanced user material, from Elite Video. While all of that was great and highly informative, nothing compared to the fantastic 2-day Nikonian's D700 user's workshop (basic and advanced) I attended in February hosted by Mr. Winston Hall. That seminar really pulled it all together for me. Winston even supplied on-the-spot uploadable material to set up the custom controls and menus for a variety of shooting situations - landscape, portrait, etc., and loads of take-home reference material. He also helped me after-the-fact via email with a clarification or two that finally allowed me to turn the last page on the camera and other manuals and move on. Now that the technical side of the camera is pretty much second nature, I feel like I can just go ahead and shoot; concentrating on light, composition, etc., rather than getting bogged down about settings, pictures controls, etc. I can't recommend one of these seminars highly enough. They're not cheap, but they're worth every penny!

hondona

Southern Pines, US
51 posts

#7. "RE: 'Mastering the Nikon D700' or Thom's D700 Guide--or both?" | In response to Reply # 6

hondona Registered since 21st Dec 2008
Wed 19-May-10 09:17 AM

Taking both the D700 class by Winston Hall was the best investment I've aver done towards learning the camera. Since it was a combined class with the D3, it will be cut short my learning process when my D3 arrives in a few weeks.

Jim Mohundro

Seattle, US
450 posts

#8. "RE: 'Mastering the Nikon D700' or Thom's D700 Guide--or both?" | In response to Reply # 7

Jim Mohundro Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jul 2008
Thu 20-May-10 04:03 AM

Thanks, Donaldo and Hondona re the Winston Hall D700 class. You talked me into it as soon as I was able to verify the Seattle area location; however, now I find that I have an irrevocable event on the class day, June 24, so I'll have to pass. Do you know if these classes are offered in each local area more than once a year?

RufusB43

Hagerstown, US
252 posts

#9. "RE: 'Mastering the Nikon D700' or Thom's D700 Guide--or both?" | In response to Reply # 0

RufusB43 Registered since 19th Jan 2009
Thu 20-May-10 10:52 AM

I have both, but really like David D. Busch's Nikon D700 Guide to Digital SLR Photography the best. It is well written and seems to have more practical day to day application for my photography.

Regards

Ron

G