Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Best Glass for a D300/D700 Combo Right Now?

AgapeLight

Auburn, US
350 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
AgapeLight Silver Member Charter Member
Fri 04-Jul-08 11:09 AM | edited Fri 04-Jul-08 11:39 AM by AgapeLight

I am now seriously looking at the advantages to carrying both bodies (especially since I have not had the D300 long), but I last year I had sold pretty much the entire line of prime DX lenses just to think about re-buying the 17-55mm, until now?

What would be a first best prime lens for a DX/FX body combo? The 24-70mm 2.8 (which seems to be sold out everywhere)?

That makes it a 36-105mm on the DX and 24-70mm on the FX where the 17-55 looks like it comes out to 26mm at the wide range on both bodies. I am trying to look down the road and not buy glass I am not going to want to use on both bodies, or should I be looking at wide glass 14-24mm just for the FX and something like 24-70mm and the 70-200mm 2.8 for the DX?

I assume I wouldn't want to use the 14-24mm on the DX body and probably wouldn't want to use the 12-24mm on the FX body?

Right now, I need one good prime lens for a wedding in a few weeks to go on my D300. Was just about to pull the trigger next week for the 17-55mm DX until I now find out I have a good chance of getting the D700 too??? Thanks for the suggestions.

cfeather

Kingsville, US
264 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#1. "RE: Best Glass for a D300/D700 Combo Right Now?" | In response to Reply # 0

cfeather Registered since 23rd Dec 2005
Fri 04-Jul-08 12:59 PM

24-70 in stock at Adorama.

28-70 is always an option. I love it as a portrait lens on DX. Wouldn't think of selling it; should be great on FX, as well.

Carl E. Feather
Feather Multimedia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

AgapeLight

Auburn, US
350 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#2. "RE: Best Glass for a D300/D700 Combo Right Now?" | In response to Reply # 1

Fri 04-Jul-08 01:14 PM

Yeah, right now I think I am leaning towards the 24-70 and not the 17-55. I loved the 17-55 on my D2x but don't want to buy a lens that I can only effectively use on one body.

jimtan

US
407 posts

#3. "17-55 useable" | In response to Reply # 2

jimtan Basic Member
Fri 04-Jul-08 04:02 PM | edited Fri 04-Jul-08 04:09 PM by jimtan

It seems that the 17-55 can be used in the 26-55 range for FX. That means you only need a fast 50mm or 85mm prime lens, if you already have the 70-200.

In addition, the 12-24 is usable at 18-24mm. It works well combined with the 24-70 in both formats. So, the DX lenses already provide you with the necessary WA coverage.

That said, you need to decide which is your main camera, DX or FX.

Best Regards

Jim

AgapeLight

Auburn, US
350 posts

#4. "RE: 17-55 useable" | In response to Reply # 3

Fri 04-Jul-08 04:20 PM

I sold my 70-200 VR, waiting for the next gen to come out, and that will be used probably exclusively on my DX for the focal length.

Don't think I would really try to go after WA stuff on the D300 if I have the D700 available, the 14-24 looks to be far better (to me) than using the DX'ers in 12-24 and 17-55. The 12-24 only gives me ~18mm on both bodies where the 14-24mm gives me a true 14mm on at least one of the bodies? Even the 10.5mm DX only gets me to 16mm, and there is a great 16mm fisheye for FX.

Don't get me wrong, I loved both the 12-24 and 17-55 on my D2X but I am leaning towards a D300/D700 setup like 14-24mm the 24-70mm and the 70-200mm which in essence gives me a range of 14mm all the way up to 300mm for about $5k.

The DX lens options give me a range of 18mm to 300mm (with a gap in the FX 50mm range) for about the same price (a little less). Another factor is the reviews I have read on the vinetting on the DX's and some who have used them on their D3's did not care for the results. I don't know that you can go wrong with the 14-24mm and 24-80mm, as long as you have a full frame to use it on as well as the DX?

jimtan

US
407 posts

#5. "Depends on what you shoot" | In response to Reply # 4

jimtan Basic Member
Fri 04-Jul-08 05:34 PM

Personally, I prefer the one camera solution. A 24mp FX (10mp DX) would require only one set of lenses. You don't need the back-up UWA when you are only carrying the DX camera.

That said, you can mix DX with FX lenses on the 24 mp FX camera. For example, I would use the 10.5mm fisheye which is optically superior to the FX equivalent, and wider than the 14mm (only 114'). In fact, Bjorn Rorstell rates the 10.5mm as '5' for the D3:

“With the FX-format (D3) camera, CA issues seem to be kept under better control. I modified my 10.5 in anticipation of the D3's arrival, so by sawing off the built-in lens hood, it now gives a picture angle > 200 degrees. The image circle projects outside the frame, though. No big deal if you plan on making stitched panoramas or suchlike projects.”

So, your choice of lens depends on what you shoot. Yes, you will need a FX body if you work with PC lenses. You will prefer a 14-24 on a FX body for architecture and PJ work. However, the light DX lenses are still viable for nature work (f/8-f/16), even on a 12mp FX body.

Best Regards

Jim

AgapeLight

Auburn, US
350 posts

#6. "RE: Depends on what you shoot" | In response to Reply # 5

Fri 04-Jul-08 05:38 PM

Good points... except for the one small thing that I don't think there is a 24mp FX yet, but let me buy the D3 or the D700 and there is sure to be a D4 right around the corner that is the mother of all cameras. Won't happen until I buy either the D3 or D700 though, that's my luck, so I will let you know when to be on the look out for one

nikkorfan80to200

US
5 posts

#7. "RE: Best Glass for a D300/D700 Combo Right Now?" | In response to Reply # 0

nikkorfan80to200 Registered since 23rd Jun 2008
Fri 04-Jul-08 05:42 PM

17-35 F/2.8
28-70 F/2.8
70-200 or 80-200 F/2.8 depending on the features that you want.

That's all you need to know. Don't even mess with those DX lenses. They aren't worth the money. If Film lenses work on both FX and DX then is there really any question to what lenses you need?

PS... the 14-24 2.8 is a beautifull lens, but an absolute pain to use if you like ND filters like I do. Same with polarizing filters. So I'd go with the 17-35 F/2.8 I hear it's a sharper lens anyways.

I currently have the 80-200 F/2.8 and the 17-35 F2.8 But soon I'll try for the 24-70 or the 28-70.

Philip Weber

Idyllwild, US
110 posts

#8. "RE: Best Glass for a D300/D700 Combo Right Now?" | In response to Reply # 7

Philip Weber Silver Member Nikonian since 07th May 2008
Mon 07-Jul-08 04:10 PM

The post below is under a different thread (Tamron 28-300 VC) but I thought I might get more feedback under this one. Thanks in advance if any experienced FX/DX shooters have insights for this new to FX photographer.

Phil

I'd love to hear what others think on this too. I know the quality isn't up to my Nikkors and I wouldn't be using it for anything critical but there is some reasonably good glass out there for $600 and their six year warranty is impressive. However, I've never owned a Tamron and maybe someone could suggest a better solution.

I just bought the D700 & am going FX/DX as I have a D300 too.

My walkaround for the D300 is the Nikkor 16-85. Generally, that gets me most shots for just casual shooting. Primarily though, I am focused on landscape/nature and wildlife, and printing on 13x19 inch paper.

My other lenses are the Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8, the 200-400 f/4, and the 24mm PC-E (I also bought the Sigma 300-800 for birds and wildlife).

With the D700 on order, I completed my FX range with the Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8, the 24-70 f/2.8 and the 105mm Micro.

I am very new to Nikon, buying the D300 in April (just sold my Pentax K20D and 6 great lenses to finance the D700 deal). While I love the quality of the Pentax system, their lack of long glass and now, mid-price FX made me decide to go 100% in the Nikon direction.

A high quality walkaround option for the D700 would be the last piece of the puzzle and the 28-300 VC would also work on the D300 just as well I suppose.

After that, I will be looking for a NAS 12-step program!

It's great to be a part of the Nikonian community and I have already found these user forums to be very helpful.

Phil

AgapeLight

Auburn, US
350 posts

#9. "RE: Best Glass for a D300/D700 Combo Right Now?" | In response to Reply # 8

Mon 07-Jul-08 04:37 PM

Phil, wow, you jumped in full tilt... I can't imagine what I would fill that gap with, most of my "want items" are on your have list

If you haven't already purchased the 105 macro you might want to check out the 200mm macro. It is an older lens but nothing much beats it as far as macro goes. It isn't worth much off the tripod for non-macro work but I got to use one once and it killed my 105mm (course it is the older version too).

Mid range in the $600 area I have the 24-120mm (older non VR version) but I don't like it. Not a sharp lens, muddy at 120mm.

You have the 14-24mm, 24-70mm, and 70-200mm, 200-400mm f/4 (wow), after that, I would look at the 10.5mm fisheye (about $550), I have always wanted to add that one to my bag, and on the other end the if you can go to the big gun, the 300mm 2.8 kicks it big time.

I really can't add any educated input to your setup... it sounds awesome. You will love the Nikon lineup. Scott

----
Scott Fillmer scott.fillmer@gmail.com>
Blog - http://www.scottfillmer.com

Philip Weber

Idyllwild, US
110 posts

#10. "RE: Best Glass for a D300/D700 Combo Right Now?" | In response to Reply # 9

Mon 07-Jul-08 05:35 PM

Thanks Scott!

I looked hard at the 200mm micro and may still visit it one day. I had a 100mm macro for my Pentax K20D and and got used to the length. That, coupled with the excellent reviews the 105 has, I went that way first. If they ever come out with a new 80-400, I think I'd be all over that.

I don't shoot much with a fisheye (I had a 10-17mm for my K20D) but will probably get one at some point. Does anyone know how the fisheye works FX?

I also picked up the 1.4 TC and it works beautifully with the 70-200 and 200-400.

Thanks again,
Phil

AgapeLight

Auburn, US
350 posts

#11. "RE: Best Glass for a D300/D700 Combo Right Now?" | In response to Reply # 10

Mon 07-Jul-08 05:48 PM

The 10.5mm fisheye works with the FX as a 16mm lens (I have been told) as a 16mm. The suggestion I was given was to use the 16mm 2.8 but I was later told the glass on the 10.5mm was superior to the 16mm so I guess I will go that way when I get one. It will end up being a 16mm on DX and FX, but has the fisheye field of view.

Would love to see a comparison of the 10.5mm fisheye and the 14-24mm @14mm on the FX sensor. Sounds like a non-fisheye 14mm?

The fisheye is of limited use, yes, but it is the only lens that does what it does as far as I have seen anyway.

The 1.4 TC does work well on the 70-200mm, I also tried the 1.7 and 2.0 and really didn't care for those as much as the 1.4 on the 70-200, just to much light lost I guess. I think I bought the 2.0 and hardly ever used it. Good luck

----

Philip Weber

Idyllwild, US
110 posts

#12. "RE: Best Glass for a D300/D700 Combo Right Now?" | In response to Reply # 11

Mon 07-Jul-08 06:01 PM

Thank you.

I didn't go with the 1.7 or 2.0 TC for just those reasons. A little extra reach is great but I don't want to sacrifice any IQ and the available light becomes an issue too.

One thing for sure...with all the glass I've recently bought, the fisheye is going to have to wait a little while...no matter how it works!

Phil

AgapeLight

Auburn, US
350 posts

#13. "RE: Best Glass for a D300/D700 Combo Right Now?" | In response to Reply # 12

Thu 10-Jul-08 04:47 PM

ok, I was all set to order the 24-70mm 2.8 for wedding in a few weeks to use on my D300 (but with the full intention of getting the D700 when it is available).

Now that I am ready to buy, it is sold out everywhere except amazon (which I am not really wanting to buy from because shipping times vary so greatly, I know, I sell there).

Adorama had it yesterday, sold out today. B&H and Ritz/Wolf both sold out. So... what lens would work well for a wedding on a D300 with eventual use on the D700, the 14-24mm 2.8?

Right now the plan was for the 24-70mm then the 14-24mm and then the 70-200mm 2.8's to use on the D300/D700 combo. Have none, and funding right now for one.

I don't know how limited the 14-24 is going to make the shoot... the only other lens I have that would work is the 105mm 2.8? I have the 24-120 (old version) and it stinks, only use it in extreme emergency and not really good for that.

Any suggestions. I have to leave for the wedding on 7-27. Thanks.

----

Philip Weber

Idyllwild, US
110 posts

#14. "RE: Best Glass for a D300/D700 Combo Right Now?" | In response to Reply # 13

Fri 11-Jul-08 03:16 PM

I just bought my 24-70 f/2.8 from cameta auctions on eBay. VERY reputable, no grey market, full US warranty and normal price $1,650.

It's due to arrive tomorrow and I ordered on Monday (USPS priority shipping for $20).

You might try looking there because I had the same problem; B&H, Adorama, etc. were out or backordered.

I have the 14-24 and the 70-200 and while I don't shoot weddings, I would think that would be a big hole in your range.

Good luck!
phil

AgapeLight

Auburn, US
350 posts

#15. "RE: Best Glass for a D300/D700 Combo Right Now?" | In response to Reply # 14

Fri 11-Jul-08 04:12 PM

Thanks very much, I had forgotten about them. I think I actually ordered my D2X from them when it first came out. I will check them out.

----

G