Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 autofocus compared to D3

lopezzito

US
40 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
lopezzito Registered since 24th Aug 2007
Sat 26-Jul-08 05:16 PM

Can anyone with both camers compare the two autofocus systems as far as speed. I know they use the same technology but are the speeds the same or is the D3 faster?

noire

Edmonton, CA
31 posts

#1. "RE: D700 autofocus compared to D3" | In response to Reply # 0

noire Registered since 04th Nov 2005
Mon 28-Jul-08 04:36 AM

This is an important question, one which I'm really struggling to find any solid answers just yet from reviews, and postings. There's a forum thread in this forum section that is discussing this issue as we speak.
___

Shivaan My gallery

westcoast

California, US
835 posts

#2. "RE: D700 autofocus compared to D3" | In response to Reply # 0

westcoast Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jan 2007
Mon 28-Jul-08 11:14 AM

While I don't have either camera, if your thinking of sports, you should have AFS or HSM type lenses. I would doubt that with an AFS lens the difference would be noticeable. Probably more important than AF speed is can it lock onto the right subject correctly. If the sensor gets confused and locks onto the wrong target, it won't matter how fast the AF can perform. So a better question may be how well does the AF lock perform compared to a D3.

Prowicz

UK
259 posts

#3. "RE: D700 autofocus compared to D3" | In response to Reply # 2

Prowicz Registered since 11th May 2008
Mon 28-Jul-08 11:26 AM

I own a D3 and used a D700 yesterday for about 5 hours shooting fast sport, I had no issues with the AF on the D700. I was using AFS glass. If I am not wrong, does the D3 hav two motors versus one on the 700 to drive non AFS lenses?

Mark.

Len Shepherd

Yorkshire, UK
12722 posts

#4. "RE: D700 autofocus compared to D3" | In response to Reply # 0

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003
Mon 28-Jul-08 05:19 PM

The D3 has slightly faster AF than the D300 due to having a more powerful CPU - to be expected at 3 times the price.
The D700 brochure confirms the same AF points etc in the AF sensor module as the D3.
The brochure is silent on whether or not the D700 processes the AF information as fast as the D3.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

G