Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 Portraits Too Sharp!

dkents

Newport Beach, US
11 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dkents Registered since 10th Jul 2008
Mon 01-Sep-08 01:08 AM

I'm using a 24-70mm F2.8 lens on my D700. While I very much appreciate the sharp images this camera and lens produce, I find that, at times, portrait shots have too much detail. Sometimes I would like to shoot portraits that do not show every line, hair, or blemish on the skin. Is there a setting on the D700 that will soften images like these? Is there anything in post production retouch that I can use to soften an image I've already taken. I can't find anything in the manual or in the camera.

If there isn't any way to do this in the camera, which would be my preference, I've recently purchased Photoshop CS3 but know nothing about it. I imagine what I'm trying to accomplish can be done in Photoshop...it almost should be illegal what you can do with Photoshop. Can any of you give me some tips on how to soften an image using PS CS3? Thanks in advance for your help.

Kent
Newport Beach, CA

aspiringphotos

US
175 posts

#1. "RE: D700 Portraits Too Sharp!" | In response to Reply # 0

aspiringphotos Registered since 09th Jul 2008
Mon 01-Sep-08 02:11 AM | edited Mon 01-Sep-08 02:14 AM by aspiringphotos

Kent,

Edited to add: In Photoshop CS3

You can soften the focus very easily. Open your file and go to Filters, then Blur, then Gaussian Blur. Use the sliders to get the desired effect.

If you don't like that effect, try Filters, Noise, Reduce Noise and use the sliders there.

One or the other should help. Photoshop CS3 is AMAZING. Learn to use it and you will love what you can do with it.

Kelly

http://ksphotografix.com/

C_Otto

Manchester, US
1412 posts

#2. "RE: D700 Portraits Too Sharp!" | In response to Reply # 1

C_Otto Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Apr 2002
Mon 01-Sep-08 02:33 AM

I might add
--duplicate your layer and apply the filter to the new layer and use the layer opacity control to fine tune the effect. You can also play with the layer blending mode. You can find many tutorials on the web for touching up portraits. Following some of them with your own images should give you a good feel for what can be done.

Cliff
Alexandria, VA, USA

lopezzito

US
40 posts

#3. "RE: D700 Portraits Too Sharp!" | In response to Reply # 0

lopezzito Registered since 24th Aug 2007
Mon 01-Sep-08 11:03 AM

Have you tried downloading the portrait picture control? It is found here: http://nikonimglib.com/opc/portrait/index.html.en#os-windows
Or, just simply dialing down your sharpness in the picture control you are using.

gtm

Searcy, US
1451 posts

#4. "RE: D700 Portraits Too Sharp!" | In response to Reply # 0

gtm Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Feb 2002
Mon 01-Sep-08 03:21 PM | edited Mon 01-Sep-08 03:22 PM by gtm

I use PSCS3 a lot and know how to use it well, but I purchased Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0 as a filter plug-in to be ideal for portrait work. They have two particular filters, dynamic skin and a softner that you can use plus the software gives you the option of using their filters as a masked layer where you can paint or erase as much or little of the filter you need in addition the use of the opacity slider.
I can use PSCS3 directly to do this as well, but the time savings using Nik is well worth it. Just a thought.

GARY
The Arkansas Nikonian

Gary Marshall Photography

My Gallery

dkents

Newport Beach, US
11 posts

#5. "RE: D700 Portraits Too Sharp!" | In response to Reply # 4

dkents Registered since 10th Jul 2008
Mon 01-Sep-08 04:24 PM

Thanks to all of you for your help. I really appreciate your useful ideas and direction.

I have not been a Nikonian very long but find the group a wonderful resource...and fun to read.

Thanks, again.

Kent
Newport Beach, CA

hwdx347

Maumelle, US
6273 posts

#6. "RE: D700 Portraits Too Sharp!" | In response to Reply # 5

hwdx347 Basic Member
Tue 02-Sep-08 12:03 PM

The 24-70 is an extremely sharp lens. You could purchase a 'lesser, softer' Nikon lens for portraits.

Hedley
Originally from Merthyr Tydfil, Wales -- now in Arkansas

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

benveniste

Boston Area, US
10262 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#7. "RE: D700 Portraits Too Sharp!" | In response to Reply # 6

benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous suppport to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002
Tue 02-Sep-08 12:34 PM

With the possible exception of the original formula 43-86mm f/3.5 or the 90mm f/4.8 from the "fun fun lens set," I doubt you'll find a Nikkor soft enough to blur out blemishes. Traditional portrait lenses like the 105mm f/2.5 were (and are) quite sharp.

One can use softening or difussing filters of varying types, but the downside to such filters is often loss of wanted detail in the eyes. Digital post-processing as described above is usually a better solution.

The other "old-school" solution to consider is cosmetics. Not only does it work, but it allows more immediate feedback than postprocessing.

Visit us at Photokina, Cologne Germany, September 23rd-28th 2008
We're in Hall 2.1, Booth E014

G