Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Brackets Plates Chargers and Batteries

DKESLERFL

Miami (Coconut Grove), US
3198 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
DKESLERFL Registered since 21st Mar 2003
Mon 14-Jul-08 04:42 PM

I've started the process of procuring all the ancillary stuff that will be required before I put the D700 into service and thought I would share my thoughts and discoveries.

The first thing that I did was order a Markins plate for the MB10 that I ordered so that I will have something that will allow me to use the Arca system straight away. I'm still undecided as to whether I will get two L brackets for both configurations, but it seems that I will have to.

I have preordered an RRS L bracket for the body from RRS. When I asked them if the D300-MB10 bracket would fit they said that they are going to come out with a custom one for the D700 because the D300-MB10 L bracket makes it too difficult to open the battery door. They said it is possible to use it in a pinch. They are not, as of today, taking preorders for that one.

The great news is that the AC adapter for my old D100 is still compatible with the D700. I could not believe my eyes when I saw it in the compatibility matrix within the product brochure.

More good news. I ordered the BL-3 battery door for the MB10 and found that the EL4's my D2X uses are compatible and so is my charger for both the EL4's and 4a's.

That should do it.

Any other ideas would be a welcome addition to the thread.

Regards,

Don Kesler

http://www.donaldkesler.com

Through the judicious use of adjustment layers, no pixels were actually harmed in the processing of my shots..

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#1. "RE: Brackets Plates Chargers and Batteries" | In response to Reply # 0

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Mon 14-Jul-08 04:21 PM

>I have preordered an RRS L bracket for the body from RRS. When
>I asked them if the D300-MB10 bracket would fit they said that
>they are going to come out with a custom one for the D700
>because the D300-MB10 L bracket makes it too difficult to open
>the battery door.

Are you sure they meant the battery door, or possibly the external connectors compartment door on the camera? The battery door on the MB-D10 grip is obviously the same whether the grip is mounted on a D300 or D700.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

DKESLERFL

3198 posts

#2. "RE: Brackets Plates Chargers and Batteries" | In response to Reply # 1

Mon 14-Jul-08 04:31 PM

He may have miss spoken. I don't know anything about the two cameras. He did say that if you took a tooth pick you could get "IT" open so that actually does sound like the rubber flap. Heck I have to use small flat head screw driver to pry those little doors open on the D2X with the L Bracket attached.

Nice catch Brian.

Regards,

Don Kesler

Through the judicious use of adjustment layers, no pixels were actually harmed in the processing of my shots..

dazman47

Tacoma, US
388 posts

#3. "RE: Brackets Plates Chargers and Batteries" | In response to Reply # 0

dazman47 Registered since 25th Sep 2007
Wed 16-Jul-08 02:11 AM

I preorder the RSS BD700-L without grip. I figure that the grip L-bracket should be the same or close to the D300. There might be enough of a difference for the L-bracket without grip to interfere with the other compartments. My D300 always has it's L-bracket on it so I'll need another one any ways.

I think you should order the SB900 to fit on top of your D700.

Dave
My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dgillilan

Williamsburg, US
2695 posts

#4. "RE: Brackets Plates Chargers and Batteries" | In response to Reply # 3

dgillilan Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2006
Wed 16-Jul-08 08:01 AM

Hi Don,
I ordered a Kirk L bracket for my D700, just a preference over the RRS brackets, I have both and both work fine. I also ordered an extra battery from Berger when my D700 ships. I have a DK17m magnifying eyepiece coming for it. I had thought of a hand strap thing, that fits tightly and allows one hand to hold the camera (I think), I've never had one. Anyone know about these and can recommend?
Debra

Visit My Nikonian Gallery: https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=94067
My Flickr Gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dgillilan/

DKESLERFL

3198 posts

#5. "RE: Brackets Plates Chargers and Batteries" | In response to Reply # 3

Wed 16-Jul-08 08:40 AM

>I think you should order the SB900 to fit on top of your D700<

I did, I guess I thought of that as something for all my cameras instead of only the just the 700. Thanks for the thought

Regards,

Don Kesler

DKESLERFL

3198 posts

#6. "RE: Brackets Plates Chargers and Batteries" | In response to Reply # 4

Wed 16-Jul-08 09:05 AM

Hey Debra,

I use the DK17M on the D2X and it has been really nice compared to the original. I figured I would put it in the 700 and see exactly what I'm dealing with before ordering another. The 700 will display the tilt angle of the camera on the right side in the viewfinder and first I want to see if it is of much/any use to me, because a DK17m will push it farther into the periphery.

I think a hand strap is more of a situational aid than a necessity, but great to have access to when needed. Most times I prefer to have nothing at all because the bulk of my shooting involves a tripod, where straps become a liability. I'm sure that in this case (D700) where the higher ISO's are actually usable and shutter speeds increase I will be able to shoot more without suppor, or with the mono pod where a hand strap would be nice.

Regards,

Don Kesler

G