Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?

nolitan777

PH
67 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
nolitan777 Registered since 09th Jan 2009
Sat 17-Jan-09 10:27 PM

Hello guys,

I have a planned trip to France and Italy sometime April / May this year with my wife & we are excited about it.
I would want to bring my D700 but would want to limit myself to just having 1 lens to bring.
Which would it be: 24-70 or the 14-24 ?
I haven't bought the lenses yet so I'm very open to other suggestions.

Another option would be to push my luck and bring an old 35-135 Nikkor AF lens and the 14-24 ?

Anyhow, would appreciate some thoughts & suggestions.

All the best.
Noli

edmun

eugene, US
8618 posts

#1. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 0

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003
Sat 17-Jan-09 11:43 PM | edited Sat 17-Jan-09 11:44 PM by edmun

If money is the issue -

I am extremely happy with my Sigma 10-20 and my Tamron 28-75.

If faced with the choice again.

I would get the Tamron 10-24 and the Tamron 28-75 but it was a money thing.

The Sigma fell into my lap never used for a very good price.

You can get any combination of Sigma and Tamron lens for less than one Nikon and these lens may not be as well built for heavy use but they are sharp. only time will tell.

It really helps to read --you are using a D700 -- the Sigma 12-24 or the 24-70 Sigma would make a excellent combination.

ledmun

nolitan777

PH
67 posts

#2. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 1

Sun 18-Jan-09 12:41 AM

If possible I would like to stick to the Nikon line of lenses. I don't mind saving up for it.

BoVK

Beaumont, US
71 posts

#3. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 2

BoVK Registered since 10th Mar 2008
Sun 18-Jan-09 01:01 AM

14-24 - a lot of fantastic architecture and for streets 85 f1.8. Thats it, just learn to use these two.

nolitan777

PH
67 posts

#4. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 3

Sun 18-Jan-09 01:11 AM

>14-24 - a lot of fantastic architecture and for streets 85
>f1.8. Thats it, just learn to use these two.

It seems the 14-24 f2.8 is highly recommended & I'm inclined with this as scenes in Italy can make use of the super wide angle.
Have not thought much of the 85 f 1.8 as when I had M6 with 90mm lens before I hardly use it.
I think the 14-24 would probably be a good partner with a 50f1.4 ?

edmun

eugene, US
8618 posts

#5. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 2

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003
Sun 18-Jan-09 03:50 AM

I would never have thought about a Sigma lens before I shot with the 12 to 24 for a job.

Before you decide shoot with one

ledmun

robsb

San Jose, US
15008 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#6. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 0

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Sun 18-Jan-09 05:18 AM

I haven't taken my D700 overseas yet, but I have done a lot of travel with my D200. First of all DON'T drag a lot of stuff with you because you will just have to haul it around. With my D200 I basically took two lenses a 12-24 DX and a 35-70 f/2.8 zoom and a 1.4 TC for the 35-70. This was all I needed. So for a D700 you would need a range from 17 to about 70 or 90 mm. I don;t think I would use a 14-24 as it is way wider than you will need and it is big and heavy. If you are intent on buying that and a 24-70 and you want to haul all that weight then that will be all you need, but you will draw a lot of unwanted attention with the 14-24. When i was in Russia last year, I had my 12-24 DX which is way smaller than a 14-24 FX lens mounted and a guard almost didn't let me in a museum I wanted to go into as one look at the lens and camera and they say "Professional" and had a big discussion about it. I had to talk to them for about 10 minutes before they let me in. I think a better choice for travel is the 17-35 mm and then either a 50 mm 1.4 or a 35-70 or even a 24 to 70. Just remember in the streets things are close so a telephoto is of little use and inside museums and other buildings, you often are not allowed to use flash or for that mater a tripod, so take fast glass 2.8 or faster.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

nolitan777

PH
67 posts

#7. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 6

Sun 18-Jan-09 05:23 AM

>I haven't taken my D700 overseas yet, but I have done a lot
>of travel with my D200. First of all DON'T drag a lot of stuff
>with you because you will just have to haul it around. With my
>D200 I basically took two lenses a 12-24 DX and a 35-70 f/2.8
>zoom and a 1.4 TC for the 35-70. This was all I needed. So for
>a D700 you would need a range from 17 to about 70 or 90 mm. I
>don;t think I would use a 14-24 as it is way wider than you
>will need and it is big and heavy. If you are intent on buying
>that and a 24-70 and you want to haul all that weight then
>that will be all you need, but you will draw a lot of unwanted
>attention with the 14-24. When i was in Russia last year, I
>had my 12-24 DX which is way smaller than a 14-24 FX lens
>mounted and a guard almost didn't let me in a museum I wanted
>to go into as one look at the lens and camera and they say
>"Professional" and had a big discussion about it. I
>had to talk to them for about 10 minutes before they let me
>in. I think a better choice for travel is the 17-35 mm and
>then either a 50 mm 1.4 or a 35-70 or even a 24 to 70. Just
>remember in the streets things are close so a telephoto is of
>little use and inside museums and other buildings, you often
>are not allowed to use flash or for that mater a tripod, so
>take fast glass 2.8 or faster.

For that matter, would you just recommend I take a 24-70 f2.8 with the D700 ?

robsb

San Jose, US
15008 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#8. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 7

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Sun 18-Jan-09 06:03 AM | edited Sun 18-Jan-09 06:04 AM by robsb

I was originally going to tell you that, but on my trips my useage of the two lens I brought were about 60% 35-70 which certainly would be covered by your 24-70, but the other 40% were with the 12-24 which would be equivelent in field of view to 18-36 mm. That is why I suggested the 17-35 m lens. I don't know about you but it seems to me that people are always recommending the newest and most espensive lenses to people when they ask what to buy. The 14-24 is more of a specialty lens. You can't put filters on it, the front of the lens is so big that you have to use a slip on cover and when that cover is off your lens is susceptible to damage. So first off make sure you get a homeowners rider for all your camera gear. I am not one of those people who thinks you should take an old camera on trips. I think you should use the best you got. But looking at what you are after, I would say that the 24-70 alone would work in most situations because you are using an FX body which gives you a much wider view. A 24 mm lens on an FX body is pretty wide, so the main areas that would be affected by not covering 17-24 would be some scenics and any really tall buildings. But you can always step back a few feet and accomplish that. When I shot film, I used to mount my 24 mm as my main street lens and until I went digital I never owned a wider lens, so 24-70 should do it.If you look in my gallery you will see pictures of France and Italy and you can see what lenses I used.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

nolitan777

PH
67 posts

#9. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 8

Sun 18-Jan-09 07:02 AM

Hello Rob,

Many thanks for the insight & sharing your experience.
Beautiful pictures!!
I think you are right, the 24-70 should cover most situation.
Before when I had the leica m6 system the two lens I used the most is the 35mm and the 50mm.
When I had a film canon eos, the 28-70 f2.8L served me well.
So I think and thanks for the tip, the 24-70 should cover it well.

Many thanks again.
Nol

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16978 posts

#10. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 0

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Sun 18-Jan-09 01:12 PM

I have a trip to the Netherlands and Belgium scheduled for late March and plan to take my D700 with two lenses: the 24-120mm VR and my 50mm. The 50mm covers low-light situations well and with the D700's high ISO performance, you can just about shoot in complete darkness handheld. It's also small and light. The 24-120mm gets maligned a lot, but mine, which I purchased used for very little, works very well. If I compare results with the D700 and 24-120mm VR combo with the D300 and 16-85mm VR combo (a DX lens many people like), the D700 and 24-120mm produces results that are clearly better. Since you can see an obvious noise difference at even ISO 400, too, it becomes a "no-brainer" to go with the D700 combo instead of the D300 one. It's good having a travel lens like the 24-120mm VR, not just for situation when you're traveling, but anytime you want to go light.

Both the 24-70mm and 14-24mm are wonderful lenses, but if you're limiting yourself to one lens, they're a bit too limiting. If I had to do it, I'go with the 24-70mm, but I'd really miss the longer focal lengths for shooting architectural details.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

edoruan

New York, US
724 posts

#11. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 9

edoruan Basic Member
Sun 18-Jan-09 01:30 PM | edited Sun 18-Jan-09 01:32 PM by edoruan

My "credentials" for having an opinion on this subject are (1.) I lived in Europe for 16 years, and (2.) in film days past, I was a pro travel shooter for major airlines.

In those days, I only used primes, and the two lenses that were used the most--by far-- were my Nikon 24mm and 105mm.

So logic (at least my logic) says the 24-70 should be your first choice. Me, I would op for the Sigmas; they are lighter and less bulky but still sharp. I will also say that I'm sick to death of seeing endless, pointless ultra-wide images. There is a place for these special optics--but please don't make that everyplace.

One more thing: I would never go on an important, expensive trip without a backup system. A D60 and a kit lens will do.

Enjoy your trip!

Edo

edoruan

New York, US
724 posts

#12. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 10

edoruan Basic Member
Sun 18-Jan-09 08:06 PM

Oh, and the distinction here is not USA vs. Europe, it's cities vs. countryside drives. Which are you doing?

Edo

nolitan777

PH
67 posts

#13. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 12

Sun 18-Jan-09 09:38 PM

>Oh, and the distinction here is not USA vs. Europe, it's
>cities vs. countryside drives. Which are you doing?

It's going to be mostly cities.

RobLamb

Cork, IE
249 posts

#14. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 0

RobLamb Registered since 29th Sep 2006
Sun 18-Jan-09 09:39 PM

In my film days I travelled europe extensively with just a 28f2.8, 50f1.8 and Tamron 135 (although I replaced it with a Nikkor 105f2.5 when stolen).

Although I bought into the 'have the 50f1.8 for low light' thing in practice I very rarely used it apart from some mountain scenes where we were close to the mountain in question but not that close.

The D700 offers you more options for low light than film ever did so based on my experience I wouldn't bother with the 50 (much as I like it as a lens).

I have travelled in Europe with an ultra wide and never used it - it just takes in too much to create interest (and I generally like things wide). The 28mm and my feet has always been enough and the 24 will definately do.

So unless you have (legitamate) concerns about the 'big lens = pro shooter + target for bag snatchers' thing (are you going to Naples?) or just simple portability worries then I would say, in order of expected usage:
- 24-70 (approx 90% usage)
- 85 or 105 or 135 (approx 8% usage) - the 85 may be a little too close to the 70 to be worth packing.

The remaining 2% would be the ultra wide category and you could consider shooting the 24mm to stitch later or consider a 16mm fisheye or a 15mm prime (maybe a Sigma) for those circumstances - both very compact, light weight and excellent value if you think you'll be doing a couple of ultra-wides.

I have a 16mmf3.5 AI'ed which nearly always makes it into the bag and quite often makes it out again.

Oh, I also agree about the backup. A good P&S, a D60 or an FM2n would be my suggestion (and definately higher priority than the ultra wide).

My last suggestion is to Google the main points on your trip and see what everyone else has shot there and see how many need the ultra-wide. Also check out the Trek Earth web site and while you're there look at the postcards and ask a local where they were shot.

Enjoy your trip.

Rob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Drbee

Naperville, US
5927 posts

#15. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 0

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004
Sun 18-Jan-09 10:23 PM

Hi Noli,

For those travel situations with FX, my lens of choice was the 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G AFS lens. I was using film at the time, and spent a lot of time in Europe and Asia. This was an ideal coverage lens for me. For DX, I really liked my 18-70 for a lighter carry, but the 17-55mm f/2.8 AFS DX has been my goto lens. The FOV coverage range of these three lenses are nearly identical on the short end. The 18-70 DX has the edge of course on the long end and I used it quite a bit for street candids of people and some detail isolation.

The D700 body would be a great addition as a travel camera, but I tend to think Rick has the right answer for a travel lens where weight and compactness does make a difference, especially if you are using public transportation as you knock around these great places.

I also travel with a 50mm (FOV equiv) fast lens. This is a great small lens to slip in the kit bag for those after dinner walks when you are exhausted from a day of travel or meetings or when you just need the low-light capability (e.g. night markets/street scenes).

Best Regards,

Roger
It is still ISO, aperture and shutter speed, right?
"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment."

nolitan777

PH
67 posts

#16. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 15

Sun 18-Jan-09 11:40 PM

Many thanks for the insight Nikonians! appreciate it.
I think the 24-70 f2.8 would be my pick.

What you guys think with the D700 on a old nikon 35-135 f3.5-5.6 lens ? I also have this lens.
I feel the 35mm might not be wide enough.
I think 24mm prime should compliment this lens well though ?
I have a Canon Ixus Sd500 for back-up.
Again, many thanks!!!!
I look forward to this trip.
Hope things will materialize.

The Smokester

US
64 posts

#17. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 15

The Smokester Registered since 19th Dec 2008
Mon 19-Jan-09 01:24 AM

I have done my (international) travel mostly with a Contax G2 rangefinder 35mm film camera and carried 20mm, 35mm and 90mm lenses (all f2.8 or better) plus a small flash. Most keepers (mainly in cities) were shot in available light with the 35mm focal length. The 90mm is good for perspective control (as is the 20mm) and ends up used mainly in the country/mountains on a small Gitzo tripod. I used the 20mm rarely but found that it was crucial and in this size system it is easy to carry.

Also traveled with my F5 and most keepers (in cites) were shot with a 35-70mm f2.8 which also has a sorta macro capability. I usually pack a 20mm f2.8 with it, too, since it is not much extra bother. However, I rarely use the 20mm and find, as mentioned above, it brings in too many extraneous irrelevancies to be much of a walkin' 'round lens. Still, there are many perspectives that you just can't get any other way.

I have transfered my F5 habits to the D700. My backup camera is a Canon G9.

In summary, my experience would be to go with the 24-70 f2.8.

BoVK

Beaumont, US
71 posts

#18. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 17

BoVK Registered since 10th Mar 2008
Mon 19-Jan-09 02:12 AM

Nolitan777, by now you got all the advice you need :=)
Recently I was using mostly 14-24, 35mm f2, and 60mm new macro. This is still very compact set. You could replace 14-24 with some prime but on FX the quality will suffer. Are you going to chase the street shots at low light? then you may have to go for the 85mm (or longer) instead of 60mm. But your main weight will come from 14-24 and that is difficult to replace. If only 2 lenses: 14-24 and 50mm (small size) or 60mm (larger but macro) or 85 mm f1.8 (small and better for street).

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

#19. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 0

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Mon 19-Jan-09 03:30 AM

I just spent three weeks in Rome and London, walking the streets all day every day. The 24-70 rarely came off my D700. I brought along my Nikkor 18-35 f/3.5-4.5 as well, but all it did was gather dust in the hotel rooms. I brought my Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 which got a good workout several times at dusk and after sunset. I'm delighted with the results. Frankly, the D700 + 24-70 f/2.8 Nikkor is not a particularly heavy combination going in & out of the bag and on & off your shoulder while walking. I spent an average of 6 hours each day sightseeing, wandering and shooting (a typical routine for me).

That said, I've also frequently done the same thing as Rick Walker, traveling with the D700 + 24-120 VR. As Rick notes, the much-maligned 24-120 VR can do quite well indeed. It's a lens that you have to get to 'know' before you can get the best out of it I think. It also has a very distinct visual character.

My next photography trip will be Vienna and Berlin, starting sometime in late May. I intend to bring the D700 + Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4.0 and my Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 along with a POD bean bag (because neither lens has VR and they're both comparatively lightweight). I might also bring the 18-35, but I really do prefer to travel light and squeeze the absolute maximum out of just a couple of lenses.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

nolitan777

PH
67 posts

#20. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 19

Mon 19-Jan-09 04:54 AM

Thanks for all the insight greatly appreciate it and big help.

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#21. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 0

Gator Bob Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jul 2006
Mon 19-Jan-09 12:47 PM | edited Mon 19-Jan-09 12:52 PM by Gator Bob

My extensive worldwide travel was with a N90, an intermediate Nikkor zoom and a Nikkor 24 mm prime lens which I used a LOT for interior spaces and narrow streets

I now carry a D700 with a 14-24 and 24-70, a superb combination.

If you carry only one lens, the 24-70 wins hands down. It's no contest.

I have an 80-400 which I will sell if I decide to keep my new Sigma 150-500, to be delivered this week. I've used the 80-400 primarily for birds & wildlife and I expect to use the 150-500 the same way.

If at that time I still think it's needed, I will buy a 70-200 when a new VRII FX-optimized version appears.

(A Tamron 90mm macro is my primary studio camera for shooting my wife's jewelry website photos.)

nolitan777

PH
67 posts

#22. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 21

Mon 19-Jan-09 01:00 PM

although a bit out of topic, majority here seems to top the 24-70 f2.8 lens for the travel.
after this lens, which do you guys recommend, the 85f1.4 / 85 f1.8 or the 105 VR micro f2.8 ?
some suggested the 70-200 f2.8 but i find it a bit too heavy and in my canon system, i hardly used it.

thanks guys..

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#23. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 22

Mon 19-Jan-09 01:14 PM | edited Mon 19-Jan-09 03:28 PM by Gator Bob

>some suggested the 70-200 f2.8

The Nikkor 80-400VR is about the same weight & size as the 70-200 but I think it is more useful. The D700's high ISO and fast processing speed greatly improve the 80-400. In addition, 1) a like-new 80-400 can be bought for $900, considerably less than a 70-200 and 2) the current version of the 70-200 is not optimzed for digital FX cameras.

darksky

US
2 posts

#24. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 23

darksky Registered since 26th Dec 2008
Mon 19-Jan-09 05:30 PM

Like you, I too am planning a trip to France & Italy with my D700! I can hardly wait.

As others have mentioned, the 14-24mm is a speciality lens. If I had to go with just one or two lenses, I'd choose the 17-35mm. If money's tight, you could also consider a used 20-35.

There is no question there will be amazing opportunities for you with any one of these three lenses.

Have a great time!!

aldewitt

Jefferson City, US
404 posts

#25. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 0

aldewitt Registered since 16th May 2008
Mon 19-Jan-09 06:32 PM

My advice: go for the lens that gives you the best zoom flexibility. I have the 24-120 which would be ideal for most of the outdoor stuff you'd want to do, but wouldn't be very fast inside the cathedrals and stuff.

I'd go with a zoom and a 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 because it's small and easily packed in something like a Think Tank Digital Holster.

Just my two cents worth, and likely overvalued.

A. L. DeWitt
Jefferson City, MO

Cameras allow us to share the beauty in God's creation with others.

jbk224

Floral Park, US
283 posts

#26. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 0

jbk224 Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Nov 2006
Mon 19-Jan-09 07:10 PM

Lot's of good advice, so I would just like to add my "good" advice as well.
Your question was to choose between the 14-24 and the 24-70. To me, there is no issue. The 14-24 is totally impractical to carry around and does not provide the reach that you may need when not in the city. The 24-70 is the right choice. And if you need a little greater reach, shift into DX mode to get up to 105mm. You don't list any other lenses that you currently own. I have a 12-24 DX lens that I would also take. It is small and gives you the 18-24 FOV that comes in handy inside and in some close narrow city streets. The D700 pushed to 1600 with the f4 should work nicely inside many of the great places you will visit. No flash allowed or necessary! Remember, this is about seeing and enjoying Europe for yourself and documenting your trip with your camera. This is not a shoot that you are getting paid for--travel light..travel right...and have a good time!

robsb

San Jose, US
15008 posts

#27. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 26

Mon 19-Jan-09 08:35 PM

This advice is correct except for the DX comment. There is NO reach advantage for DX. All you are doing is a digital crop of the field of view, your focal length remains the same. This is an unfortunate myth because when using other DX cameras, not the d700, you have a higher pixel density within the DX frame and therefore can blow up the image more without too much degradation, sort of a digital zoom if you will. When you switch the D700 to DX mode you wind up with a 5 MP image, have not increased the focal length and have done a digitsal field of view crop, which has much less options than just doing a crop in post.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

#28. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 22

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Mon 19-Jan-09 08:49 PM

>although a bit out of topic, majority here seems to top the
>24-70 f2.8 lens for the travel.
>after this lens, which do you guys recommend, the 85f1.4 / 85
>f1.8 or the 105 VR micro f2.8 ?
>some suggested the 70-200 f2.8 but i find it a bit too heavy
>and in my canon system, i hardly used it.

It may be useful for you to narrow your focus to the type of shooting you actually do and enjoy most. A 70-200mm zoom in any urban environment, wandering and exploring. is a heavy load and only a very rarely useful focal range. You had the Canon version and hardly used it, which might basically be telling you everything you need to know.

For people shots, among friends or on the street, either of the 85's or the 105 will do brilliantly. The problem is, the 24-70 is so good (and 70mm at the long end after all) that you've got to be really, really sure you're actually going to want to haul the extra weight of the 85 f/1.4 or 1.8, or the 105mm VR micro, especially considering the 24-70 will do a wonderful job for people work too. Less weight means less sweat, which translates into greater comfort, which means more and better photos and a lot more enjoyment.

Don't misunderstand my attitude. I can physically haul two pro SLR bodies and four pro lenses around all day long in any kind of weather. The only problem is that it's w-a-a-a-y too much like work and it's most definitely not the basis for a truly enjoyable photography trip. Less is more.

If, on the other hand, you're really planning on picking off tons of street shots from 10+ meters away, you can sit back with the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR and nail them all day. In that case, you've got to plan your days real well by knowing, at the beginning of each day, what you want to shoot so that you can leave one of the two heavy lenses in the hotel. Personally, I think the 70-200 VR is a boat anchor: a great, heavy, wonderful lens that I've used when traveling on research business, but which I'd never, ever carry on vacation/holiday.

The 24-70 is supremely versatile and will take a beating and keep coming back for more while consistently producing great quality images. But the 24-70 and the 70-200 in the bag at the same time is not a formula for pleasant strolling and urban exploring.

I've got to chime in again about the 24-120 VR. A couple of other posters besides Rick and me have now mentioned it too. It's really worth considering, but only after you've spent some prep time shooting with it in lots of different conditions in order to get to know its unique character.

The 105 VR micro is, I think, a truly great macro lens which also happens to be a great medium telephoto general purpose lens. But it's the kind of thing you put in your bag to use on nature walks as a second or third lens. Or it can be a primary lens, but for specific projects or an outing specifically to do macro shooting. A travel lens it's not.

As you'll find stated in other threads, the Nikkor 85 f/1.4 is one of the great lenses out there right now. It's very versatile and stunningly good in the right hands. But for medium focal length shooting, carrying a 24-70 and an 85 may really be working at cross purposes. Using an 85 you can take several steps back from your subject and suddenly you're into 60-70mm territory. Use a 24-70 at the 70mm end, take a few steps forward and suddenly you're into the 80-90mm range. So I think that if you're considering one prime (such as the superb 85, consider also bringing a 50 and a 24, and forget about the 24-70 altogether. Amazing things happen when you're traveling with primes only. At the very least, you'll find yourself examining and inspecting your subjects a lot more before actually hitting the shutter button. BTW, the 85, 50 & 24 together weigh about one and a half times as much as a 24-70, so weight isn't a factor.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#29. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 27

Mon 19-Jan-09 09:17 PM

>This advice is correct except for the DX comment. There is NO
>reach advantage for DX. All you are doing is a digital crop of
>the field of view, your focal length remains the same. This is
>an unfortunate myth because when using other DX cameras, not
>the d700, you have a higher pixel density within the DX frame
>and therefore can blow up the image more without too much
>degradation, sort of a digital zoom if you will. When you
>switch the D700 to DX mode you wind up with a 5 MP image, have
>not increased the focal length and have done a digitsal field
>of view crop, which has much less options than just doing a
>crop in post.

I am amazed how supposedly knowledgeable people keep saying that you get a " x1.6 zoom multiplier" by using DX lenses. That's 100% b.s.

nolitan777

PH
67 posts

#30. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 27

Mon 19-Jan-09 09:19 PM

Wow, lots of meaningful insights and experience! How can I thank you guys enough.
Hmmm, i think the 24-70 f2.8 is the most likely candidate for this trip.

Howard, I also see your point on just bringing prime lenses like the 24, 50 and 85mm lens.

Ages ago when I was using the Leica M6, I took a lot of keeper shots with just the 35mm and the 50mm lens. Shots until this day I treasure and keep.

Somehow with just minimal lenses one just take more time to think and compose as one is left to just do get away with that one particular lens.

thanks guys and more power to this group!

robsb

San Jose, US
15008 posts

#31. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 29

Tue 20-Jan-09 01:38 AM

Bob it is a lonely battle, because many people think it is true and the ones who know it is not true still use the term "reach" which they have all defined to mean "more pixels on image", but don't often explain that. So many people are misinformed. Heck last months Pop Photography had an article by a pro who essentialy stated the same thing. This is why you will see people say a D700 is not a good wildlife camera, which is also bull. What they do get with there DX cameras is cheaper lighter lenses, that crop like a longer lens on an FX body. I have been shooting wildlife with my D700 since I got it, and the comments I get on the images are mostly WOW. People who never shot film would not know that we were all FX shooters many years ago and the only way to get "reach" was to use a longer lens or to blow up the image in the darkroom and crop it.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#32. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 31

Tue 20-Jan-09 01:58 AM

I read that PopPhoto article and my mouth fell open. Literally.

Also, performance of my 80-400 is perceptibly better on my D700 than it was on my D300. Still, I expect (hope) I'll start shooting wildlife with my new Sigma 150-500. I'll only know after I test it.

PaulBennett

US
321 posts

#33. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 30

PaulBennett Registered since 09th May 2008
Tue 20-Jan-09 03:16 AM

I worked in Italy for some time and traveled there since. My photographical regrets were mostly not having wide enough lenses. You can always crop but you can never gain back what's outside the lens fov.

Take both lenses and leave your guitar or your wife behind. Find a way.

nolitan777

PH
67 posts

#34. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 33

Tue 20-Jan-09 06:08 AM

>

>align="left" ]
>I worked in Italy for some time and traveled there since. My
>photographical regrets were mostly not having wide enough
>lenses. You can always crop but you can never gain back what's
>outside the lens fov.
>
>
>align="left"]
>Take both lenses and leave your guitar or your wife
>
behind. Find a way.

>
>
>align="left"]

Hi Paul,

Thanks for chiming in. If you were to do things all over, what wide angle lens would you have preferred to bring ?

Regards
Noli

MichaelAlan

Lancaster, US
355 posts

#35. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 33

MichaelAlan Registered since 25th Sep 2008
Tue 20-Jan-09 05:08 PM

The 14-24mm is a great lens BUT it is a specialty lens so I don't think it will be suitable for all photos. Consider getting a 50mm or an 85mm prime lens and try your best to bring along both!

Otherwise, take the 24-70mm for the best of all worlds from wide angle to portraits...

-----------------------------------
Photography Workshops: www.inlightinworkshop.com

My Photography: www.ParamourPhoto.com
My Blog: www.ParamourPhoto.net

rhom

Sacramento, US
136 posts

#36. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 34

rhom Registered since 06th Aug 2008
Tue 20-Jan-09 07:15 PM | edited Tue 20-Jan-09 07:19 PM by rhom

Hi Noli,

I've been to Italy on an extended basis as a former exchange student and as a recent tourist. Been to many of the major cities as well as the more rural areas.

Last time that I went, I took a Canon 5D (FX size sensor) w/24-105L IS (VR). In the cities, there were many times that I wished for wider than 24mm. European cities are more crowded than what most of us are used to, not only with people but the buildings are closer together too. Likewise, indoors (cathedrals, museums) I often not only wanted wider than 24mm, but faster than f4...even with VR. Many of those 500-600 y.o. buildings have very little light, especially on overcast/rainy days. And you also need wide & fast because many of the most beautiful views are of the ceilings of these magnificent buildings (think dimly lit!).

If I were going today, I think that I would take my D700 with one of the following setups (which are limited to lenses that I own):

35-70/2.8 AF-D & 20mm (mine is a MF 20mm/f4 AI) for light weight or

20-35/2.8 AF-D & 35-70/2.8 AF-D

My preference would be the latter setup for more aperture. From experience, most of my city shots would be with the 20-35. In the countryside, it would be the 35-70. Addition of a TC would be great for people shots with the 35-70. A D700 gives these f2.8 lenses plenty of speed. Since it is so tiny, I'd probably also throw in my SB-400 for obligatory snapshots of friends.

My $0.02

Best Wishes on a great trip!

Rick

Nikon user for 40 years.
F-Ftn, F3, F4S, F90, F100, D5100, D700

migpower

Cartaxo, PT
598 posts

#37. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 0

migpower Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning a Nikonians Annual Photo Contest Registered since 18th Jul 2004
Tue 20-Jan-09 09:00 PM

17-35 and the 24-70. If only one...... the 17-35!!

S, S Brass, S2,S2 BD, F, F Black, FTn, F36, F250 Black, F2 Black, F2A, F2AS Black, F3/T Champagne, F3/T Black, F3P, FG Black, F4e, F5, D2H, D200... Two Bessa R2S NHS!

Others take pictures, Nikon takes Life with you!

Remember, the World is Analog!!!

My Nikonians Gallery
My Flickr Gallery

nolitan777

PH
67 posts

#38. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 37

Tue 20-Jan-09 09:24 PM

I also think that the subjectivity of lens usage depends on ones perspective.
Some folks can just make wonders with just a 50mm lens and thats it.
While some can work well with just a wide angle.
I think in the end, it depends on that individual.
I think when the time comes, I'll just go with the 24-70.
One body & one lens.

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#39. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 38

Tue 20-Jan-09 09:44 PM

>I think when the time comes, I'll just go with the 24-70.
>One body & one lens.

A very smart decision --- and as an amateur I've hauled "not-so-minimal" Nikons around the world.

Having said that, if you possibly can afford and carry an ultra wide 2nd lens in your pocket/beltpouch/whatever, just do it.

If not, move on and enjoy.

nolitan777

PH
67 posts

#40. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 39

Tue 20-Jan-09 09:48 PM

>>I think when the time comes, I'll just go with the
>24-70.
>>One body & one lens.
>
>A very smart decision --- and as an amateur I've hauled
>"not-so-minimal" Nikons around the world.
>
>Having said that, if you possibly can afford and carry an
>ultra wide 2nd lens in your pocket/beltpouch/whatever, just do
>it.
>
>If not, move on and enjoy.

Thanks-- with just one lens, will just have to make the most out of it.
Am sure with the 24-70 f2.8 that should be able to capture most shots very well.
i think the superwide would come handy if shooting tight interior shots with low light.
Will see how things goes.

Pugzilla

Boca Raton, US
220 posts

#41. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 0

Pugzilla Registered since 05th Aug 2008
Wed 21-Jan-09 02:37 AM

I have recently returned from an Eastern European river cruise (Danube). Shot well over 1000 images (and probably could have shot 3 times as many). The only lens I took (after careful consideration) was the 24-70 f/2.8. While it was a bit heavy, it never left me while I was awake. I did borrow another Nikon shooter's 70-300mm for 1 tele shot, and that was it.

Before that, I was on a Far Eastern cruise with a D200, the 18-200VR, and a 50mm f/1.4. While quite versatile, this zoom was very poor indoors (as you would expect), image quality was not as good as could be, and distortion was high.

I think the 14-24 is not the appropriate lens for a one lens kit, and a 24 wide will cover most anything needed for travel. Hey, with one lens, how can you expect to cover it all - I didn't. Trouble is, the 18-200 is slow and while quite good for what it is, is not a pro quality lens. And of course, it isn't meant for an FX camera.

Enjoy your trip!

Walter

f/8 and be there?...but I'm moving as fast as I can...I'm up to f/4 already!

nolitan777

PH
67 posts

#42. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 41

Wed 21-Jan-09 05:03 AM

Hello Walter,

That is a nice destination! I envy those exotic trips.
Anyhow, after i get my d700, the 24-70 f2.8 will be the item i have to target next.
As business is quite slow, i might have to see what budget i can do in the meantime.
I'll be hopefully picking up my D700 in a month or so.
I hope by the time I leave for Italy, I will have the 24-70 with me.
Again, it looks like the 24-70 is the versatile lens to tout with me to Europe.

Regards
Noli

PaulBennett

US
321 posts

#43. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 34

PaulBennett Registered since 09th May 2008
Wed 21-Jan-09 05:49 AM

>Hi Paul,
>
>Thanks for chiming in. If you were to do things all over, what
>wide angle lens would you have preferred to bring ?
>
>Regards
>Noli

A 24mm might have been adequate much of the time but now that I have the 14-24...you betcha, hard to believe what it captures without distortion. Here's what happens...you get your picture composed and step back a few steps to widen the shot and a couple invariably walks in front of you spoiling it. With the 14, get the whole room regardless where you stand.

Mark Devlin

Ferns, IE
17 posts

#44. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 6

Mark Devlin Registered since 01st Nov 2005
Wed 21-Jan-09 02:47 PM | edited Wed 21-Jan-09 02:55 PM by Mark Devlin

>I haven't taken my D700 overseas yet, but I have done a lot
>of travel with my D200. First of all DON'T drag a lot of stuff
>with you because you will just have to haul it around. With my
>D200 I basically took two lenses a 12-24 DX and a 35-70 f/2.8
>zoom and a 1.4 TC for the 35-70. This was all I needed. So for
>a D700 you would need a range from 17 to about 70 or 90 mm. I
>don;t think I would use a 14-24 as it is way wider than you
>will need and it is big and heavy. If you are intent on buying
>that and a 24-70 and you want to haul all that weight then
>that will be all you need, but you will draw a lot of unwanted
>attention with the 14-24. When i was in Russia last year, I
>had my 12-24 DX which is way smaller than a 14-24 FX lens
>mounted and a guard almost didn't let me in a museum I wanted
>to go into as one look at the lens and camera and they say
>"Professional" and had a big discussion about it. I
>had to talk to them for about 10 minutes before they let me
>in. I think a better choice for travel is the 17-35 mm and
>then either a 50 mm 1.4 or a 35-70 or even a 24 to 70. Just
>remember in the streets things are close so a telephoto is of
>little use and inside museums and other buildings, you often
>are not allowed to use flash or for that mater a tripod, so
>take fast glass 2.8 or faster.

Hi Robsb,
I've just returned from Rome and Pompei, I've found the 20mm f2.8 invaluable. I accidentaly left my old sigma 28-80 at home, and I would have been tempted to buy a 50mm if I could find one. You're right about the museums - no bags, although they allowed me to stuff my pockets with kit. I had a snickers 'electricians' coat with me for the cold, and managed to get the Sigma 150-500, Nikkor 70-210, SB800, Conceptronic hard drive, and our documents into it! Lola (my Beau)took the D70 and the 18-55, and I had the D700 with the 20mm in my hand. I took a Billingham 455 for the kit. I'd also ordered the 85mm 1.4 a week too late, but it's hear now! Saw a guy there just before New years with a D3x; resisted pixel envy, felt almost smug about the whole 'better' noise/high ISO less weight advantage. (Ironic as I was lugging 6+ Kg of kit). Speaking of weight, I rarely used the 150-500.
I like the whole idea of taking 3 good primes. 20mm 50mm and tele (85/110) as fast as you can get. Do zooms make people lazy with composition?
Don't think I've ever posted before...

Dev.

jbk224

Floral Park, US
283 posts

#45. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 29

jbk224 Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Nov 2006
Fri 23-Jan-09 12:00 AM

Gator,
Instead of being patronizing, maybe you could use your complete grasp of this subject to help us"supposedly knowledgeable people.." better understand this common misconception.
But, I guess the simple answers can only be made more impractical for many of us by some experts. Simply, a 100 mm lens on a DX camera (or DX mode) will provide an equivalent FOV of 150mm as in a 35mm or full frame. Sometimes this can be used to one's advantage. Particularly when trying to minimize the number or type of lenses to take when traveling light is important.
This DX vs FX issue is covered really well in this Nikonian's thread:
https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=149&topic_id=146410&prev_page=show_topic&gid=146410#146934
Give it a look.
The problem I find in many of these forums is that a simple question, cannot be simply answered. Not everyone needs to understand the meaning of life; but life goes on anyway.

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#46. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 45

Fri 23-Jan-09 12:29 AM

I am sorry if I conveyed that unintended impression. I had zero intention to patronize anyone, most especially all those Nikonians who know far more than I do about photography.

There are NO dumb questions, only dumb answers. I firmly eblieve that.

Lag

White Rock British Columbia, CA
456 posts

#47. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 42

Lag Registered since 28th Aug 2004
Fri 23-Jan-09 02:46 AM

My 2 cents worth,,.

My walk about package for Europe was to remove the grip from the D200 and take the 12-24,,the 24-120 and a inconspicuous looking bag,,. I never found that I lacked focal range on either end and I really cant complain about the performance of lenses,,.

With the D700 it would be somewhat the same,,,,,,,,,,except I will sub in the 17-35 f2.8 for the DX 12-24,,. Should do the trick!!

Cheers

Lyle,,,,,,,,.

My Images,.
https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=71206

MaxJ1961

US
9 posts

#48. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 0

MaxJ1961 Registered since 22nd Jan 2009
Sat 24-Jan-09 03:11 AM

24-70. Smaller, lighter, and better walk-around lens.

rodsky77

US
345 posts

#49. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 0

rodsky77 Registered since 08th Jan 2008
Sat 24-Jan-09 03:20 AM

Take the 24-70 and a very light tripod so that you can shoot 2 or 3 shots to get the panoramic views and then stitch them together. The 14-24 is a very specific lens - it's absolutely wonderful from what I've read in reviews, however, if you are taking only 1 lens, it should allow you to shoot something closer than 24mm.

New Jersey Nikonian

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#50. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 49

Sat 24-Jan-09 02:32 PM

>Take the 24-70 and a very light tripod

Yes! If you don't obsess about specified "weight limits" my Gitzo GT0541 and Gitzo G1077M ballhead weigh 30 ounces and work OK with my D700 & Sigma Bigmos 150-300 (7+ pounds).

robsb

San Jose, US
15008 posts

#51. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 49

Sat 24-Jan-09 04:12 PM

When I traveled to France I took a Bogen Monopod with a tripod base, but used it very little except for a few outdoor night shots with my d200. Too many places will not let you use a tripod or monopod, and it is just one more thing to haul around. Now that I have the D700 I have gained so many stops over the D200, that I would not haul it again with my travel kit. In Russia I was hand holding night shots with the D200 at 1/8 sec. Those shots now would probably be 1/30-1/60 sec with the D700, an easy hand hold with any lens up to 70 mm.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#52. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 51

Sat 24-Jan-09 04:31 PM | edited Sat 24-Jan-09 04:32 PM by Gator Bob

Personally, I only carry a tripod when I anticipate long shots in fading light and/or birds and distant wildlife. Yes, the D700's ISO 3200 & 6400 solved most of the old dim light problems. My travel kit is D700 & 24-70. If at all possible, I also bring my 14-24 and a TC.

GiantTristan

Stamford, US
2690 posts

#53. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 52

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006
Sat 24-Jan-09 06:12 PM

Don't think that a TC will work with either of the two lenses.

Tristan

rodsky77

US
345 posts

#54. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 51

rodsky77 Registered since 08th Jan 2008
Sat 24-Jan-09 06:17 PM

It would be difficult to take shots that can be stitched later without a tripod, but then, if you have a steady hand, it could be done.

>When I traveled to France I took a Bogen Monopod with a
>tripod base, but used it very little except for a few outdoor
>night shots with my d200. Too many places will not let you use
>a tripod or monopod, and it is just one more thing to haul
>around. Now that I have the D700 I have gained so many stops
>over the D200, that I would not haul it again with my travel
>kit. In Russia I was hand holding night shots with the D200 at
>1/8 sec. Those shots now would probably be 1/30-1/60 sec with
>the D700, an easy hand hold with any lens up to 70 mm.

New Jersey Nikonian

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#55. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 53

Sat 24-Jan-09 07:51 PM | edited Sat 24-Jan-09 08:09 PM by Gator Bob

>Don't think that a TC will work with either of the two
>lenses.

Revised reply: Oops! You are correct. The 24-70 and 14-24 manuals both say the lenses are incompatible with a TC. I just got the lenses so thank you!

bobmikk123

US
268 posts

#56. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 54

bobmikk123 Registered since 15th Dec 2007
Sat 24-Jan-09 10:07 PM

I travel to Asia frequently and have narrowed my travel gear to include the D700 body plus the Nikkor 24-70 mm and the 70-200 mm lenses.

I tolerate the added weight of the 70-200 simply because I don't want to miss that swan on the pond or the interesting bridge off in the distance, as well the 70-200 is a great head shot lens while permitting you some distance from your subjects. I find this to be a great pairing for walking around the streets and getting out in the country....but you must be willing to carry the added weight!

Bob

nolitan777

PH
67 posts

#57. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 56

Sun 25-Jan-09 07:32 AM

The one common denominator lens that everyone recommends in this thread is the 24-70 f2.8. I think that would be the route I would be undertaking really soon.

RobLamb

Cork, IE
249 posts

#58. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 56

RobLamb Registered since 29th Sep 2006
Sun 25-Jan-09 08:54 AM

I see your point on the 70-200 but if you didn't want the weight you could consider the 180f2.8

Rob

hqasem

BH
77 posts

#59. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 0

hqasem Registered since 30th Sep 2006
Sun 25-Jan-09 10:30 AM

Both lenses are rather big and heavy. I'd bring one lens: the AF-S 50mm f/1.4G.

Henri Cartier-Bresson used a 50mm lens, for almost all of his life's work.

Enjoy your trip!

Hussam

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#60. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 59

Sun 25-Jan-09 10:58 AM

If only I had Cartier-Bresson's skills ... but I do not. I traveled in China for a month in 1984-85 with a camera that had neither tele nor WA. I have never stopped regretting it.

Immediately on my return to Hong Kong I bought a big Nikon and several lenses and since have carried my gear around the world.
For me, its a much better arrangement.

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#61. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 59

Sun 25-Jan-09 10:58 AM | edited Sun 25-Jan-09 11:00 AM by Gator Bob

deleted duplicate

Tucniak

UK
1 posts

#62. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 61

Tucniak Registered since 15th Feb 2009
Mon 16-Feb-09 04:39 PM

Hi there,

I came across this thread as I am gong to buy a D700 soon and was wondering what one lens to buy. there's a lot of talk about the 24-70. what about the 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF AF NIKKOR? has anybody had any experience with it. the extra 15mm at the long end seems rather interesting!

Benoit
Bristol, UK

reader

US
245 posts

#63. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 60

reader Registered since 22nd Mar 2006
Mon 16-Feb-09 08:21 PM

>I traveled in China for a month in 1984-85 with a camera that
>had neither tele nor WA. I have never stopped regretting it.

>Immediately on my return to Hong Kong I bought a big Nikon and
>several lenses and since have carried my gear around the
>world. For me, its a much better arrangement.

My experience, too. I travel a LOT. For work and pleasure.

I have a Pelican case loaded with what I consider I will absolutely use. I'm going to China with a new D700 and I will bring...

14-24
24-70
80-400
50/1.4
20/4 MF(Panoramas)
28/2 MF (Night/Panoramas)

My 16-year-old son will use the D200 with the 18-200VR. He will also carry my gear. You don't need to pack lighter, fellas, you need a porter!

-----
reader
Gallery

palamara

Sydney, AU
63 posts

#64. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 0

palamara Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2002
Mon 16-Feb-09 09:27 PM

Last time I went to rome I took my D50 with a 18-55mm lens. Did it do the job, yes, so i suppose with a D700 a 24-85mm would do the job for sure!!

JP

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

#65. "RE: Trip to Europe: D700 with which lens ?" | In response to Reply # 62

Mon 16-Feb-09 09:59 PM

>I came across this thread as I am gong to buy a D700 soon and
>was wondering what one lens to buy. there's a lot of talk
>about the 24-70. what about the 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF AF NIKKOR?
>has anybody had any experience with it. the extra 15mm at the
>long end seems rather interesting!

Go to the lens forum here:

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=146&topic_id=155784&mesg_id=155784&page=

. . . here:

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=146&topic_id=155586&mesg_id=155586&page=2

. . . here:

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=146&topic_id=154477&mesg_id=154477&page=4

. . . and in the D700 forum here:

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=226&topic_id=10686&mesg_id=10686&page=

. . . and here:

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=226&topic_id=3306&mesg_id=3306&page=3

Plus . . . there are 65 posts in this thread alone. All this is just a few threads created in only the last few days. Why not try the search function on the site yourself? You'll find even more threads on the subject.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

G