Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
hiroProtagonist

Wesley Chapel, US
150 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
hiroProtagonist Registered since 30th Oct 2006
Wed 24-Dec-08 02:01 AM

I'd have to say I'm about 98% satisfied with my D700 but there are a few (very few) items I'm not quite crazy about. I read a post in another forum where several D700 owners were complaining about the lack of a CF card lock, and how the card doors on their Nikons would accidentally get pulled open. Its never happened to me and I can't say I really miss the lock myself. I'd never even really thought about it until I read the post. Even though I don't share the posters frustration with the CF card door the thread got me thinking about what I don't like about the D700. Some of my gripes may be true of other Nikons and not specific to the D700 and a few of them could likely be corrected in firmware. None of these comes close to being a deal breaker, just a few things that I think could be improved.
1. The defaults for the two button reset. It seems this would be more useful if we could choose our own defaults.
2, Bracketing being limited to steps of 1EV or less. In HDR you typically want -2EV, 0, +2EV; to do so on the D700 requires 5 shots (-2EV,-1EV,0,+1EV,+2EV). Not a big deal but there are times when I'd prefer to do so in 3 shots.
3. I miss the dedicated bracket button of the D200, obviously this one can't be fixed in firmware.

I'm almost completely happy with the camera but there is still some room for improvement. I'd be interested in hearing what others see as the D700's short comings.

Bob Beerbower

My Blog
http://www.thehyperfocaldistance.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

The word 'art' is very slippery. It really has no importance in relation to one's work. I work for the pleasure of the work, and everything else is a matter for the critics.

rodsky77

US
345 posts

#1. "RE: D700 dislikes" | In response to Reply # 0

rodsky77 Registered since 08th Jan 2008
Wed 24-Dec-08 01:58 AM

Coming from a D300, I have 2:

1) The viewfinder is 95%
2) The focus point area is much smaller than on the D300 - there the focus points take up almost the entire area of the shot.

Other than that and no lock on the CF door, all looks good.

>I'd have to say I'm about 98% satisfied with my D700 but
>there are a few (very few) items I'm not quite crazy about. I
>read a post in another forum where several D700 owners were
>complaining about the lack of a CF card lock, and how the card
>doors on their Nikons would accidentally get pulled open. Its
>never happened to me and I can't say I really miss the lock
>myself. I'd never even really thought about it until I read
>the post. Even though I don't share the posters frustration
>with the CF card door the thread got me thinking about what I
>don't like about the D700. Some of my gripes may be true of
>other Nikons and not specific to the D700 and a few of them
>could likely be corrected in firmware. None of these comes
>close to being a deal breaker, just a few things that I think
>could be improved.
>1. The defaults for the two button reset. It seems this would
>be more useful if we could choose our own defaults.
>2, Bracketing being limited to steps of 1EV or less. In HDR
>you typically want -2EV, 0, +2EV; to do so on the D700
>requires 5 shots (-2EV,-1EV,0,+1EV,+2EV). Not a big deal but
>there are times when I'd prefer to do so in 3 shots.
>3. I miss the dedicated bracket button of the D200, obviously
>this one can't be fixed in firmware.
>
>I'm almost completely happy with the camera but there is still
>some room for improvement. I'd be interested in hearing what
>others see as the D700's short comings.

cmmatthews

San Jose, US
113 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#2. "RE: D700 dislikes" | In response to Reply # 0

cmmatthews Registered since 15th Jul 2006
Wed 24-Dec-08 05:12 AM

>3. I miss the dedicated bracket button of the D200, obviously
>this one can't be fixed in firmware.
>
>I'm almost completely happy with the camera but there is still
>some room for improvement. I'd be interested in hearing what
>others see as the D700's short comings.

You can at least set the Func button to do bracketing. That is what I have done on mine.

As for the CF door, well I suppose I miss the lock but I really don't care about it that much.

My biggest gripes are the 95% viewfinder and sheer bulk of the camera with the MB-D10 grip.

Also, I wish they would lose the pop up flash ala the F100. I'd much rather have either 1) a smaller camera or 2) a bigger viewfinder.

rodsky77

US
345 posts

#3. "RE: D700 dislikes" | In response to Reply # 2

rodsky77 Registered since 08th Jan 2008
Wed 24-Dec-08 05:27 AM | edited Wed 24-Dec-08 05:28 AM by rodsky77

If they remove the pop-up flash, you wouldn't have the TTL flash control ability. I've recently tried helping out a friend with some lighting and his Canon 40D and 580 EX II flash. I was fully expecting that the flash would function off the camera without a cord. Guess what - it does not! The rug was pulled out from under me on that one.

When I told my friend that all of the Nikon top of the line flashes can be controlled with most of the Nikon cameras remotely (not only that, those remote flashes can also be used to fire other strobes via a PC sync cord in manual) - he told me that he can get the same ability by buying a commander unit for a $100 - to me that's just another piece of equipment in the bag.

Sorry for the tangent, but the bottom line is the remote flash control via the on-board flash saved me quite a few dollars by not having to buy hot shoe cords, adapters, or a Nikon commander unit.

You can also use the LiveView mode when those additional 5% you can't see in the viewfinder are a must.

>>3. I miss the dedicated bracket button of the D200,
>obviously
>>this one can't be fixed in firmware.
>>
>>I'm almost completely happy with the camera but there is
>still
>>some room for improvement. I'd be interested in hearing
>what
>>others see as the D700's short comings.
>
>You can at least set the Func button to do bracketing. That is
>what I have done on mine.
>
>As for the CF door, well I suppose I miss the lock but I
>really don't care about it that much.
>
>My biggest gripes are the 95% viewfinder and sheer bulk of the
>camera with the MB-D10 grip.
>
>Also, I wish they would lose the pop up flash ala the F100.
>I'd much rather have either 1) a smaller camera or 2) a bigger
>viewfinder.
>
>

robsb

San Jose, US
14838 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#4. "RE: D700 dislikes" | In response to Reply # 0

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Wed 24-Dec-08 06:29 AM

The 2 button reset is pretty standard accross Nikon DSLR's and is quick and easy. It is the same on the D200.
The bracketing steps look the same as the D200 as well, but it would be nice to have a 2 EV step. You can assign the breacket button to the FN button, but I also miss the dedicated button. I too read all the fuss about the CF door lock, and thought it was a swing out door. The fact that it slides out, I think makes it OK. The door has never come open by itself. I am glad the camera has the built in flash especially for the time i don't want to haul my SB800 and of corse when I want to use it as a controller for the SB800 off camera. A 100% finder would be nice, but the camera would have had to be bigger and i can live with the 95% one since Live View gives 100% when you really need it. In all I find the number of things I don't like about the D700 to be very small and minor in nature. In general I believe it is an amazing camera for the money.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

torags

US
325 posts

#5. "RE: D700 dislikes" | In response to Reply # 4

torags Registered since 06th Jan 2007
Wed 24-Dec-08 02:23 PM

Ditto

I have no complaints. That said I appreciate the complaints, they may influence the evolution of the new cameras and make them more user friendly.

Rags

Narsuitus

Fort Worth/Dallas, US
1152 posts

#6. "RE: D700 dislikes" | In response to Reply # 0

Narsuitus Registered since 22nd Dec 2003
Wed 24-Dec-08 02:49 PM

“I'd be interested in hearing what others see as the D700's short comings.”

The D700 has many features that I love (such as FX format), a few features that I do not need (such as built-in flash with remote flash control), and the following four features that I wish it had:

1. 100% viewfinder coverage
2. Interchangeable viewfinders
3. Interchangeable view screens
4. LCD screen that swings and twists (live view is useless to me without this feature)

RWCooper

Winnipeg, CA
1019 posts

#7. "RE: D700 dislikes" | In response to Reply # 0

RWCooper Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2004
Wed 24-Dec-08 05:16 PM

Hi,

I miss the 100% viewfinder coverage of my F4.
I wonder how long the CF door mechanism will last.

Enjoy!

Randy

hiroProtagonist

Wesley Chapel, US
150 posts

#8. "RE: D700 dislikes" | In response to Reply # 4

hiroProtagonist Registered since 30th Oct 2006
Wed 24-Dec-08 06:41 PM

>The 2 button reset is pretty standard accross Nikon DSLR's
>and is quick and easy.

I agree that the 2 button reset is easy, I just wish it would reset to defaults that I was actually interested in. I'd venture to say that the majority of D700 owners are shooting NEF so resetting to jpg as a default doesn't make as much sense as it might on say a D60. Given the range of options there is not going to be one set of defaults that satisfies everyone, that is why I can't understand why Nikon doesn't allow us to set our own defaults. As it is I don't see that the 2 button reset is of much use. Why would I reset to these defaults only to have to change some settings to what I want. I had heard it suggested that the 2 button rest was so that dealers could quickly reset all of the display cameras to the same defaults. While that may or may not be true, I'd still like to see Nikon update the firmware to allow the owner of the camera to set the defaults.

Bob Beerbower

My Blog
http://www.thehyperfocaldistance.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

The word 'art' is very slippery. It really has no importance in relation to one's work. I work for the pleasure of the work, and everything else is a matter for the critics.

cmmatthews

San Jose, US
113 posts

#9. "RE: D700 dislikes" | In response to Reply # 3

cmmatthews Registered since 15th Jul 2006
Wed 24-Dec-08 07:52 PM

I guess it depends on your style. I really don't find myself using flash all that often, especially since the ISO performance of the D700 really makes me think twice about using flash. I can appreciate the CLS abilities but I'd still rather have the bigger viewfinder. I'd love it even more if they would add a split prism focusing screen as well.

nidza

CS
32 posts

#10. "RE: D700 dislikes" | In response to Reply # 7

nidza Registered since 06th Nov 2008
Wed 24-Dec-08 11:39 PM

I don't see any problem with 95% coverage of the OVF. It doesn't really make a difference between making a good shot or not. I wish it has AF coverage as D300, but today's AF probably has some limits as all of the FF's have a bit narrow AF arrangement.

About CF door - it's a little embaresing for such a expensive and really robust, on the first look, body.

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4954 posts

#11. "RE: D700 dislikes" | In response to Reply # 8

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Thu 25-Dec-08 01:52 PM

Hi Hiro, As an alternative to the 2-button reset you are probably already aware, but just in case not, there is the Save/Load Settings feature p. 344 D700 manual which covers a lot of the 2-button reset territory including:
- Playback Menu items
-all 4 Shooting Menu Banks (most sub-options)
- all 4 Custom Menu banks (all sub-options)
- plus Setup options and MyMenu (all items).

Best regards, SteveK
My Nikonians gallery
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4954 posts

#12. "RE: D700 dislikes" | In response to Reply # 0

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Thu 25-Dec-08 03:32 PM

First off I love the camera!

Two areas that affect my shooting are:

- overall smaller focus-point area of frame than D300 definitely affects my composition when shooting people in dynamic/candid shooting. I end up needing to crop more often in post because during my in-camera composition am not able to achieve my exact framing and must shoot looser than desired. I also regularly goof up my framing because I am a tight framer in-camera by disposition and I end up paying too much attention to selecting a focus point and chopping off something important due to fast pace - something I need to practice more. I am only talking fast paced continuous-AF shooting where I need to quickly move the AF point, frame, and shoot. No complaints in situations where more deliberate framing/AF is possible. What would I like in an ideal world - complete frame covering AF points all cross-type - not asking for much hey

- Thwocka-thwocka mirror-slap noise when I am trying to be discrete (seems slightly noisier than my D300 due to larger mirror). It affects my shooting where I might want to fire off a burst to get that killer image, but for discretionary purposes I fire a single or two-shot burst. Any developments or incremental improvements to make things quieter would be appreciated. Maybe I'll get a blimp one day...

I repeat I LOVE the camera!

Best regards, SteveK
My Nikonians gallery
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange

RockyIII

Raleigh, US
3271 posts

#13. "RE: D700 dislikes" | In response to Reply # 0

RockyIII Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 27th May 2006
Sat 27-Dec-08 03:58 PM

I have only had my D700 for a couple of weeks. I can think of four dislikes so far:

(1) The weight. It is heavy, but I guess that cannot be helped. I will never get an MB-D10 battery pack though.
(2) I wish there was a dedicated bracketing burst button instead of having to program it on the FUNC button.
(3) I wish it had 100% viewfinder coverage.
(4) I think the auto white balance in artificial light could be better.

That said, this is definitely the best camera I have ever owned or used. I love the FX size sensor and low noise performance at higher ISO values.

Rocky

kirk111

US
51 posts

#14. "RE: D700 dislikes" | In response to Reply # 13

kirk111 Registered since 27th Dec 2008
Sat 27-Dec-08 05:25 PM

I find the performance of the White Balance to be inconsistent in artificial light (incan & fluor). That covers auto WB and the incand WB and the Flor WB. It seems that a custom WB is the only way to get great results in that situation.

TomCurious

Bay Area, US
2352 posts

#15. "RE: D700 dislikes" | In response to Reply # 0

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007
Sat 27-Dec-08 08:05 PM

What I miss on the D700 and any other Nikon pro body:
- A dial for PSAM plus 4 custom banks to select them in one operation and without going into the menu
- Support for the cheap wireless remote that controls my D40, so I would not have to fiddle with this stupid cord every time

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

Ryan Scott

Philadelphia suburbs, US
14 posts

#16. "RE: D700 dislikes" | In response to Reply # 15

Ryan Scott Registered since 02nd Sep 2008
Sun 28-Dec-08 05:43 PM

>What I miss on the D700 and any other Nikon pro body:
>- A dial for PSAM plus 4 custom banks to select them in one
>operation and without going into the menu
>- Support for the cheap wireless remote that controls my D40,
>so I would not have to fiddle with this stupid cord every
>time

I think may be misunderstanding your problem...There's no need to go into the menu to change PSAM - just hold "mode" and turn the dial.(?)

TomCurious

Bay Area, US
2352 posts

#17. "RE: D700 dislikes" | In response to Reply # 16

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007
Tue 30-Dec-08 01:35 AM

>I think may be misunderstanding your problem...There's no need
>to go into the menu to change PSAM - just hold
>"mode" and turn the dial.(?)

Exactly. On the 50D for example you just turn the dial, no need to operate two controls.
And if you want to set a custom bank, you need to go thru the D700 menu. On the 50D you just turn the dial.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

G