Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

some sample D700 Images

robsb

San Jose, US
14819 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Thu 20-Nov-08 03:34 AM

While I am not a professional, I have been experimenting with my d700 at high ISo levels. Ihave set my camera to AUTO ISO and set the limit to 6400. So far I have only posted images from 2 lenses, a 17-35 f/2.8 zoom and a 70-200 VR zoom. I will try out my 35-70 f/2.8 zoom soon, but so far I have not used it for the images I have shot. These experimental shots are at the top of my gallery if you want to have a look.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

BCarli1395

Lee County, US
23 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#1. "RE: some sample D700 Images" | In response to Reply # 0

BCarli1395 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th May 2007
Thu 20-Nov-08 11:36 PM

Bob,
I am also experimenting with D700 and 17-35 f/f2.8 and 80-200 f/2.8 as well as various primes like 85 f/1.4, 105 f/2.8 micro VR, and others. I can't get over the low-light capabilities of the D700; I was just outside after twilight taking pix at 6400 with 80-200 handheld--just amazing. By the way, I have read somewhere that the wonderful 17-35 f/2.8 may be going out of production. While I would love to have the 14-24, I think I'll stick with the 17-35 and make my next purchase the 24-70.

Bern

BCarli1395

Lee County, US
23 posts

#2. "RE: some sample D700 Images" | In response to Reply # 1

BCarli1395 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th May 2007
Thu 20-Nov-08 11:42 PM

By the way, I would be interested in your views of the 35-70 f/2.8 on the D700 as I have considered it as a cheaper alternative to the 24-70.

Bern

SolaresLarrave

DeKalb, US
472 posts

#3. "RE: some sample D700 Images" | In response to Reply # 2

SolaresLarrave Basic Member
Fri 21-Nov-08 12:19 AM

Thanks for posting, Bob... You have lots of really good material. Are the most recent ones done with the D700?

BTW, Bern... I found an offer I couldn't refuse on the 24-70, so I snagged it from Amazon. I'll let you know if it's really worth it. The uneven performance of my own Sigma is driving me batty...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Francisco
Recovering Nikonian in Illinois
My Nikon D700 Blog

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

SolaresLarrave

DeKalb, US
472 posts

#4. "RE: some sample D700 Images" | In response to Reply # 3

SolaresLarrave Basic Member
Fri 21-Nov-08 12:23 AM

Bob... I'm puzzled. What type of WB were you using? Did you correct the warmish cast this camera gives to indoor shots? How about Jenna? Did you smooth her face?

BTW, I found the Formals, the Hamster and Mary's portrait (Reaction) very, very illustrative of what this camera can do. Again, thanks for posting!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Francisco
Recovering Nikonian in Illinois
My Nikon D700 Blog

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

robsb

San Jose, US
14819 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#5. "RE: some sample D700 Images" | In response to Reply # 3

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Fri 21-Nov-08 01:14 AM

From "Which way am i headed" forward, they are all D700 images. Prior to that mostly d200 with some old Cool pix images.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb

San Jose, US
14819 posts

#6. "RE: some sample D700 Images" | In response to Reply # 1

Fri 21-Nov-08 01:18 AM

I put a respone on this forum last week listing all the lenses i have tried on the D700, a mixture of AI'd, AIS, AFD and AFS lenses. I already had a 35-70 AFD f/2.8 and a 70-200VR f/2.8and a 12-24 DX f/4, so I bought a 17-35 f/2.8 in anticipation of buying the D700. I am glad I bought it.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb

San Jose, US
14819 posts

#7. "RE: some sample D700 Images" | In response to Reply # 2

Fri 21-Nov-08 01:22 AM

I bought my 35-70 in a dealer auction on eBay for $277. it turned out to be better than discribed and was MINT +. it is the AFD model and had a high serial number and absolutely no signs of wear. On my D200 it was my most used lens, I am sure it will see a lot of use on the D700. images are clear and sharp. If you don't mind push pull zoom and a rotating front end,this lens is the best bargin you will find in a true professional lens. It used to sell near $1000 before they were discontinued. If you don't have one get one.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb

San Jose, US
14819 posts

#8. "RE: some sample D700 Images" | In response to Reply # 4

Fri 21-Nov-08 01:34 AM

Francisco lots of questions. No matter what WB I set on camera, I always revisit it in Capture NX2 as I shoot RAW. I think I had it set for auto WB, but on my D200 I made ahabit of setting a specific WB like daylight, cloudy, etc. But as I said I fiddle with WB and use what gives me the look I want. Since Jena was a mix of daylight and I think florescent (can't remember if it was off or on), I used Auto WB. I used a slight gausian blur in NX2 on her face, not that she needed it, but I wanted to smooth it out a little as the lens is very sharp and showed every detail. I then used the selection brush to sharpen things like eyes, ears, hair, mouth. I do ALL my RAW processing in Capture NX2. I used to do all my processing in PSCS3 extended, and I consider myself an advanced user, but I can do things quicker and better in NX2 and the whole thing stays in RAW, so I can go back and change any item at any time. All of the shots were intended to explore what the camera could do under difficult conditions. I did this because I purchased the D700 because on a trip to Russia this year and also a trip to the Monterey Aquarium, Iwas pushing the D200 to its and my limits. i was often shooting at 1/4 to 1/8 sec hand held to keep ISO's in an acceptable range. I knew that had to stop, and so the D700. You essentaily hardly ever need to use flash. None of the images I posted did.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

mrcontinental

US
19 posts

#9. "RE: some sample D700 Images" | In response to Reply # 7

mrcontinental Registered since 28th Nov 2008
Fri 28-Nov-08 09:41 PM

The 35-70 f/2.8 is a darn good lens. It hasn't gotten as much work on my D1x, D1h and D70 because of the 1.5 factor but it will live on my D700 when maximum sharpness and speed are needed. I also have a little Nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G AF-S that's sharp as the dickens that I can't wait to try on my D700 when it arrives.

TomCurious

Bay Area, US
2352 posts

#10. "RE: some sample D700 Images" | In response to Reply # 0

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007
Sat 29-Nov-08 12:14 AM

Bob,

you have a lot of amazing images in your gallery! I usually have my kids in tow (1 and 3) along with the D700 (and one lens at a time). It's tricky to go on extended trips and have the time to set up and shoot. But you showed that fantastic subjects can be found in mundane places, like the rest stop image of the butterflies. I have a lot to learn, i.e. to keep my eyes open!

By the way, any recommendations where you go for wildlife in the bay area? I often go to Shoreline park (north of Mountain View).

Tom

robsb

San Jose, US
14819 posts

#11. "RE: some sample D700 Images" | In response to Reply # 10

Sat 29-Nov-08 02:57 AM

Tom thank you so much for your kind comments. First you must have your camera with you and second as you say keep your eyes open. Sometimes you will see nothing, but if you keep looking and keep your mind open, often a picture will present itself. If I were you I would take my kids 1 and 3 and just follow them, as children find so many things to wonder about. Because of where I live in San Jose, on the border of Campbell and Los Gatos, I like to go to Vasona lake in Los Gatos as it is about 7 minutes from my house and has a lot of wild birds. I have never been to shoreline park to shoot, but long ago i worked for both Lockheed and TRW and worked near the park. I know lots of people shoot birds there. At Vasona there are a lot of Geese and Ducks,and other water birds and since it acts as a preserve, they let you get close. They also have Great and Snowy Egrets and other birds of interest. If you are looking for animals, I guess Henry Coe would be a good choice, but I have not been there. You can also find game near Mt Hamilton, in the Los Gatos Hills, and I think Alum Rock Park. Some people also like Pinacles.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

TomCurious

Bay Area, US
2352 posts

#12. "RE: some sample D700 Images" | In response to Reply # 11

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007
Sat 29-Nov-08 03:28 AM

Thanks Bob! That's a great idea - to look at the world from my kid's perspective - I will need to try it. I've been to Vasona, to ride the train with my kids naturally, and even shot a few birds, great park! Shoreline park is very nice on spring mornings, when the vegetation has not died yet and the ducklings just hatched. I haven't heard about Henry Coe and Pinacles, will check it out. Thanks for the tips!

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

robsb

San Jose, US
14819 posts

#13. "RE: some sample D700 Images" | In response to Reply # 12

Sat 29-Nov-08 03:40 AM

I have the advantage of going to Vasona on weekdays, a lot less people. I usually go late afternoon about 2 hours before they close the gates. I bought a pass, so it is less costly. What amazed me is how close Geese let me get to their Goslings.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

G