Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Sticky Grips... Need Advice !!

KennyPS

Vacherie, US
20 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
KennyPS Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2012
Wed 10-Apr-13 01:50 PM

Hello fellow Nikonians... One of my bodies, D700 suffering from sticky (rubber areas) grips ! I routinely clean the body often, more so after every sports outing and can't get rid of this sticky, tackiness. I read a few Q&A's online and several suggest using 90 %Isopropyl Alcohol to get rid of the sticky stuff. Don't know why or how it gets there... because I try and keep my gear pretty clean !!
Have any of you experienced this before and what did you use to clean it off ? I dunno... alco sounds a tad bit harsh for my bodies.. but I'm willing to try it if it won't do my bodies harm. Any suggestions ?
Thanks !

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

threepairs

US
96 posts

#1. "RE: Sticky Grips... Need Advice !!" | In response to Reply # 0

threepairs Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2006
Thu 11-Apr-13 11:04 AM

I would suggest an "all natural" dish washing liquid and a damp sponge. I have heard that alcohol and the rubber do not get along very well.

Barry
www.threepairsphoto.com

KennyPS

Vacherie, US
20 posts

#2. "RE: Sticky Grips... Need Advice !!" | In response to Reply # 1

Thu 11-Apr-13 03:55 PM

Thanks threepairs... I like your suggestion, I'd rather try that than the alcohol... even trying the alcohol in a small test area on the bottom of the battery grip didn't sit well with me. I've been cleaning the body with a damp (warm water) almost dry terry cloth and worked well. Thanks !

threepairs

US
96 posts

#3. "RE: Sticky Grips... Need Advice !!" | In response to Reply # 2

threepairs Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2006
Tue 16-Apr-13 02:25 PM

>Thanks threepairs... I like your suggestion, I'd rather try
>that than the alcohol... even trying the alcohol in a small
>test area on the bottom of the battery grip didn't sit well
>with me. I've been cleaning the body with a damp (warm water)
>almost dry terry cloth and worked well. Thanks !

Barry
www.threepairsphoto.com

How did you make out? Still in a sticky situation?

archivue

Paris, FR
5525 posts

#4. "RE: Sticky Grips... Need Advice !!" | In response to Reply # 0

archivue Registered since 26th Mar 2002
Thu 11-Apr-13 01:40 PM

Another vote for the sponge and soap thing...
Still, if your rubber is sticky, I guess it has had a contact with something that plays a bad chemistry with rubber... That could be thousand of things, from solvents to perspiration, passing by various cream for hands or mosquito repellents... Once it's started it might not stop easily ? (some chemists around here ?)...

Jacques

"Un photographe, finalement, c'est quelqu'un comme les autres, mais qui prend des photos." - Man Ray
My Gallery...
My Other Gallery...

KennyPS

Vacherie, US
20 posts

#5. "RE: Sticky Grips... Need Advice !!" | In response to Reply # 4

Thu 11-Apr-13 04:05 PM

>Another vote for the sponge and soap thing...
>Still, if your rubber is sticky, I guess it has had a contact
>with something that plays a bad chemistry with rubber... That
>could be thousand of things, from solvents to perspiration,
>passing by various cream for hands or mosquito repellents...
>Once it's started it might not stop easily ? (some chemists
>around here ?)...
>
>Jacques
>
>"Un photographe, finalement, c'est quelqu'un comme les
>autres, mais qui prend des photos." - Man Ray
>My
>Gallery...>
>
My Other
>Gallery...>

Thanks Jacques.... you make a good point. It's not all the time that I experience this... last shoot I did was a high school baseball game and it was a very humid and warm, perspiration could have been a factor for sure. Noticed the rubber was sticky as I shot and more so loading up the gear before heading out ! Will try the mild soap and sponge cleanup ...thanks for your input !!

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

#6. "RE: Sticky Grips... Need Advice !!" | In response to Reply # 0

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2005
Thu 11-Apr-13 08:26 PM

There are two types of grips.

Bodies like the D700 use rubber that can be replaced if all else fails.

Bodies like the N80 do not have rubber that can be replaced. Instead, they use plastic that has a clearcoat over it. When the clearcoat starts to break down, it gets sticky. The only option here if it gets really bad is to scrub off the clearcoat entirely.

Nikon user since 2000

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3571 posts

#7. "RE: Sticky Grips... Need Advice !!" | In response to Reply # 0

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Thu 25-Apr-13 04:51 PM

I've seen a number of cases for the rubber swells and gets loose, on both grips and lens. It appears to be a chemical reaction to either body chemistry or chemicals on the hands.
A common cause of rubber stickiness and swelling is insect repellant on the hands, DEET in particular.
My 70-200 zoom ring rubber swells and gets tacky if I use it a lot during an event.
Oxidation can turn the rubber white/grey and lose its resilience. Rubber restorer, a deoxidizer, can return the rubber to normal appearance and and almost normal resilience.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

RBHJr

US
24 posts

#8. "RE: Sticky Grips... Need Advice !!" | In response to Reply # 0

RBHJr Registered since 26th Mar 2013
Thu 25-Apr-13 05:15 PM

I used to.... gosh, still do, have this problem with my N90S. Not on the grip so much as on the camera back. Like you, I have always been meticulous about keeping my gear clean so this problem has always perplexed me.

And, lately, I've noticed that my D7000 sometimes feels a bit sticky after a day of use. I'm guessing the culprit in both cases is skin oil.

On the N90S I've tried plain dish soap and water (very small amount of soap) and just plain distilled water to no effect. Like you, I'm afraid to use harsh chemicals or alcohol.

Hopefully, someone here has figured this problem out.

--Ron

KennyPS

Vacherie, US
20 posts

#9. "RE: Sticky Grips... Need Advice !!" | In response to Reply # 7

Sun 28-Apr-13 06:46 PM

Oooopss ! Orignally I started this tread under the wrong topic and it was moved to here... thanks Mr. Administrator.. sorry about that !!

Thanks for your reply km6xz... I've narrowed down this problem (with suggestions from this forum) to my perspiration or some sort of chemical reaction with the rubber. I narrowed that down to the hand creme/lotion I used. I quit using this creme and looks like the problem has gone away ! That had to be the problem because I've done numerous shoots in humid weather and sweaty hands galore... no stickyness ! Now I can use myother bodies without no worries, thanks guys !!

KennyPS

Vacherie, US
20 posts

#10. "RE: Sticky Grips... Need Advice !!" | In response to Reply # 8

Sun 28-Apr-13 06:58 PM

RBHjr... thanks for your reply. I've (with suggestions from this thread) narrowed my problem down to a hand creme I use, well used to use ! Time will tell though... down here in South Louisiana it gets pretty humid and one can perspire big time. So skin oil and perspiration along with the creme may have been my problem all along. I quit using the creme and so far so good... tackiness is gone ! I used warm water only with (damp almost dry terrycloth) to clean the rubber area. Got most of the stickyness off, guess I wore the rest of it off because it's gone ! Hope this helps you !!

G