Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Cleaning D700 camera chamber

franco1968

N.D.I.P., CA
10 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
franco1968 Registered since 25th Dec 2012
Fri 22-Mar-13 01:21 AM

I've been pretty good at cleaning the sensor with a sensor swab and eclipse.

Started to notice a lot of dust on the oily walls of the camera chamber over the years.

Not sure if it is necessary to clean the chamber walls to prevent more dust from eventually falling onto the sensor.

Don't think it is necessary to clean the chamber walls.

Like to know what your thoughts are on the subject...

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Gene Duprey

Cedar Rapids, US
258 posts

#1. "RE: Cleaning D700 camera chamber" | In response to Reply # 0

Gene Duprey Registered since 08th Feb 2013
Fri 22-Mar-13 02:49 AM

I would not touch it if it is not causing any problems. Not sure I would even try as there is an easy chance of scratching the mirror, or a slip which could damage the shutter. if you really want it cleaned, then send it in to Nikon and have them clean it. I am somewhat surprised you have a build up of oils in the mirror chamber, as I have nikons, and another brand of cameras that are over 10 years old and not a drop in that area. If it is just dust, then using the Rocket Blower or another hand blower will clear it up, use air only on the mirror, as they scratch VERY EASILY.

Cheers,
Gene

Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8056 posts

#2. "RE: Cleaning D700 camera chamber" | In response to Reply # 0

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter Member
Fri 22-Mar-13 03:09 PM

I regularly clean the chamber walls using my Visible Dust Zeeion Blower while also trying to blow the dust of the sensor. It's the same idea of blowing out the dust from in the chamber, wherever it's located, that people have used for a long time, except the Zeeion Blower blows out air which works to neutralize the static surfact static, allowing it to be more effective than standard blowers like the Giottos Rocket Blower. You take the same precautions with the Zeeion, that you do with the Rocket, such as touching nothing in the camera with it.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

franco1968

N.D.I.P., CA
10 posts

#3. "RE: Cleaning D700 camera chamber" | In response to Reply # 2

franco1968 Registered since 25th Dec 2012
Sat 23-Mar-13 07:01 PM

>I regularly clean the chamber walls using my Visible Dust
>Zeeion Blower while also trying to blow the dust of the
>sensor. It's the same idea of blowing out the dust from in the
>chamber, wherever it's located, that people have used for a
>long time, except the Zeeion Blower blows out air which works
>to neutralize the static surfact static, allowing it to be
>more effective than standard blowers like the Giottos Rocket
>Blower. You take the same precautions with the Zeeion, that
>you do with the Rocket, such as touching nothing in the camera
>with it.
>
>Ned
>A Nikonians Team
>Member

>
>-----------------------------
>Visit my
>Travel Photography Blog and
>my Galleries.

Not a big fan of blowing dust around in the camera. The Zeeion blower looks very interesting for everyday use i.e. blowing off the lens.
I think there is a bit of confusion on where I'm seeing the oil on the walls - I'm talking about the walls around the sensor when the mirror is up.

Thanks,
Frank

Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8056 posts

#4. "RE: Cleaning D700 camera chamber" | In response to Reply # 3

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter Member
Sat 23-Mar-13 08:19 PM

I wasn't confused at all, but you were talking about dust, not oil cleanup. Oil I leave alone.

As to blowing the dust around the chamber with the sensor, using a blower is the #1 way of cleaning off the sensor. If I can clean up the sensor, and obviously the surrounding area will get plenty of air too, that's far better than the other cleaning methods, as far as I'm concerned, which are for most people these days, either using a brush on the sensor, or a sensor swab with eclipse liquid on it. Most of the time for me, the blower takes care of my problem, and the camera needs no further cleaning for weeks.

I'm a frequent lens swapper and shoot almost daily.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

#5. "RE: Cleaning D700 camera chamber" | In response to Reply # 0

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Sun 24-Mar-13 12:55 AM

If you are seeing oil I'd send it to an authorized Nikon facility for cleaning, lubrication and adjustments (CLA).

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

G