Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Markins camera plate

Partytrooper2

Adelaide, AU
246 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Partytrooper2 Registered since 17th Oct 2008
Sat 16-Mar-13 12:03 AM

Hi I have as you know just bought a 2nd hand D700. It came with a Markins D700 base plate that works with Arca Swiss Ballheads.

I have a Manfrotto monopod and tripod and plates. Is this Markins plate any use for anything or should I just sell it..

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD

US
31313 posts

#1. "RE: Markins camera plate" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Fri 15-Mar-13 11:42 PM

Hi Marilyn,

Once you try the Arca-Swiss Quick Release system you will never want to use any of the Manfrotto or any other propriatary Quick Release system again. It is that Good.
While the initial cost of entry is considerable the added stability and locking strength is well worth it.

When you rotate the camera from landscape orientation to portrait orientation while it is on a Manfrotto head does it rotate slightly around the tripod screw when you have a front heavy lens on the camera?
With an Arca-Swiss plate and clamp the camera can not rotate.
Kirk makes Arca-Swiss clamps that fit into some of the Manfrotto Q/R heads to convert them to the Arca-Swiss system.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Partytrooper2

Adelaide, AU
246 posts

#2. "RE: Markins camera plate" | In response to Reply # 1

Partytrooper2 Registered since 17th Oct 2008
Fri 15-Mar-13 11:57 PM

Thanks Marty, I will look into it!

MEMcD

US
31313 posts

#3. "RE: Markins camera plate" | In response to Reply # 2

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Sat 16-Mar-13 12:34 AM

Hi Marilyn,

Here are the Kirk Specialty Q/R clamps .
You can also buy a standard clamp and attach it using the Manfrotto Q/R plate via the 1/4" - 20 threaded hole or use a bushing for a clamp with a 3/16" -16 hole.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18758 posts

#4. "RE: Markins camera plate" | In response to Reply # 2

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Sat 16-Mar-13 03:05 PM

While it is pricey, the Arca-Swiss type plates used by Markins, RRS, Kirk (and possibly some others) really is incredible. I went from a Bogen/Manfrotto ball head to a Markins (M20 w/ RRS QR Lever platform) on my tripod. I picked up used, but it is incredible.

Where I think the Markins (RRS, Kirk and A-S) really shine is in the ability to control heavy loads when you angle the camera up or down...virtually no movement.

Some videos that may be of interest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BfzRl3Scm0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dabzKlo9-Y

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

olivierrychner

Boudry, CH
5255 posts

#5. "RE: Markins camera plate" | In response to Reply # 0

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005
Mon 18-Mar-13 05:35 AM

Hi!

Another vote for at least a look into the A-S system... I use two tripods, a Gitzo GT1540T on which I have installed a Markins Q3T, and a bigger Manfrotto 055ProB with a Manfrotto MG468 ballhead.

The MF ballhead orginially came with the RC2 clamp, and I did try to use it that way, but I soon ended up retrofitting it with a RRS B2 clamp. I don't know what ballhead you have, but I can vouch for the advantages of a L-bracket made to A-S standards, and I have used one for every DSLR I have owned since the D200.

I also use plates on my 80-200/2.8 and old-model 80-400VR.

Hope this helps!

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

G