Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Picture Controls

marks357

NNJ, US
236 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
marks357 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2008
Sat 09-Feb-13 08:14 PM

Just downloaded Nikon's PC's. My D700 doesn't appear to accept more than 8. The first 4 are standard with the camera - Standard, Neutral, Vivid, Monochrome. I downloaded Portrait, Landscape, and the 3 D2X modes. That's 5 more. I installed Portrait, Landscape, D2X-1 and D2X-2 but now there's nowhere to put D2X-3.

Plus, I downloaded JRP's 2 custom PC's from his excellent post at the top of this page. The question is: How do you save/store an existing PC (not one you created/edited) into one of the custom PC locations?

I believe the files are different? Nikon's PC's have an .nop extension, and custom PC's have an .ncp extension?

If there are 9 locations to store custom PC's, is there any way to put a Nikon PC (like D2X-3) in one of the custom PC locations?

Also, if anyone's interested, see neebu.net (do a Google search) for several custom PC's made to emulate various Fuji, Kodak and Agfa films. I put these on my D300 (but I don't remember how I did it!) and assume they would work for the D700 as well.

-Mark-

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

hillsidekim

Hillside, US
549 posts

#1. "RE: Picture Controls" | In response to Reply # 0

hillsidekim Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jan 2008
Sun 10-Feb-13 02:48 AM

Well now,
A lot of answers to this question. I'm curious also.
Kim
Western burbs of Chicago

marks357

NNJ, US
236 posts

#2. "RE: Picture Controls" | In response to Reply # 1

Tue 12-Feb-13 06:04 AM | edited Tue 12-Feb-13 06:07 AM by marks357

I saved D2X-3 in the last (8th) location, replacing D2X-2.
I then edited it (just moved one of the control sliders over, then back to its original spot to keep it the same), and saved it in the 1st Custom location (C1) as D2XMODE3-02.
Then I went back and saved D2X-2 in the last (8th) location, replacing D2X-3.

PROBLEM - D2XMODE3-02 in C1 is now grayed-out and I can't select it. Does anyone know why, and how to correct this?

I then saved JRP's AAASTANDARD-02 and VELVIA-02 in C2 and C3 with no problem, they are not grayed-out and are selectable.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

-Mark-

NikonMark37814

Morristown, US
1125 posts

#3. "RE: Picture Controls" | In response to Reply # 2

NikonMark37814 Registered since 20th May 2010
Tue 12-Feb-13 11:10 PM

Curious? Where did you download the pc's from?

mVs
D2x, D300s, D700 & D800

marks357

NNJ, US
236 posts

#4. "RE: Picture Controls" | In response to Reply # 3

Thu 14-Feb-13 07:09 PM | edited Thu 14-Feb-13 07:12 PM by marks357

You can get Nikon's optional picture controls here:

http://www.nikonimglib.com/opc/index.html.en

You can get JRP's picture controls here:

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/user_files/174733.zip

You can get more picture controls (emulating Fuji, Agfa, Kodak, etc. films) here:

http://www.neebu.net/~khuon/photography/NIKON/CUSTOMPC/

Can anybody help with my problem (see third post)?
D2XMODE3-02 in C1 is now grayed-out and I can't select it.

Thanks!

-Mark-

marks357

NNJ, US
236 posts

#5. "RE: Picture Controls" | In response to Reply # 2

Sat 16-Feb-13 08:33 PM

So it looks like there's no way to save that 9th Nikon PC (D2XMODE3) in the camera.

I tried several things, including changing the file extension from .nop to .ncp, thinking it would install in one of the 9 custom locations. But the D700 still recognized the file as one of Nikon's PC's (vs a custom PC) and only offered the option of installing in location 5-8 of the first 8 (which already have Portrait, Landscape, D2XMODE1 and D2XMODE2).

I give up.

Does anybody know if there is an inherent difference between PC's with the .nop vs the .ncp extension, other than the extension telling the camera where to install it? (i.e. in one of the last 4 open locations of the first 8, vs C1-C9)? There must be, because changing the file extension didn't work.

Anyway, I was able to install all of them in Capture NX2, and will just have to apply in PP, not in-camera.

-Mark-

donnyappletree

Strum, US
385 posts

#6. "RE: Picture Controls" | In response to Reply # 0

donnyappletree Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Jan 2008
Sat 23-Feb-13 12:24 AM

I can see what Nikon's Portrait and Landscape modes do...but what are each of the D2X modes (D2X-1, D2X-2 and D2X-3) supposed to do?

Also, I wanted to install Velvia in the 8th spot; but can't get it to install. It ends in .ncp instead of .nop in my Nikon folder. I recall downloading similar modes on my D300 a few years ago and they were Portrait, Landscape, D2X and I thought Velvia was the 4th one...but could be wrong.

donnyappletree

marks357

NNJ, US
236 posts

#7. "RE: Picture Controls" | In response to Reply # 6

Sat 23-Feb-13 09:00 PM

D2X-1, 2 and 3 I believe are supposed to emulate various modes of Nikon's D2X camera (which I think was the top-of-the-line body of its time?) and which many users of that camera found quite pleasing.

The Velvia PC is a custom PC (that's what the .ncp file extension means) and cannot be installed in any of the first 8 spots which are reserved for Nikon PC's (.nop file extension). The Velvia PC can be installed in any one of the 9 custom PC spots (C1-C9) and, for the camera to find, recognize, and install it, the folder structure on the memory card you're installing from HAS to be NIKON/CUSTOMPC with the Velvia PC file located in the CUSTOMPC folder.

Hope this helps.

-Mark-

jrp

San Pedro Garza GarcĂ­a, MX
38665 posts

#8. "RE: Picture Controls" | In response to Reply # 6

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter Member
Sun 24-Feb-13 08:58 AM | edited Mon 25-Feb-13 10:14 PM by jrp

According to my eyes:
D2X-3 is the predecessor of todays's Landscape PICTURE CONTROL
D2X-2 is about equivalent to an in between Portrait and Standard
D2X-1 looks like the current Neutral

I had some trouble too to upload the Kodachrome and Ektachrome.
This is what I did:

a) To learn how and where the custom picture control files were written in the card, I did a ...
"Manage Picture Control" > "Load/save" > "Copy to card" of my C1*AAASTANDARD-02 and my own C2*Velvia custom picture controls.

b) Upon inspection at the computer, they turned out to be named PICCON01.NCP and PICCON02.NCP
They were inside a camera-created subfolder NIKON/CUSTOMPC, as Mark mentioned.

c) So I renamed the online downloaded picture control emulating Kodachrome as PICNON03.NCP and the one for Extachrome as PICCON04.NCP

d) With the card into the card reader, then placed in it the renamed files inside the sub-folder CUSTOMPC

e) With the card ejected, placed it into the camera again and did a Load/save for each one of the new picture controls.

f) Did a "Load/save" > "Copy to camera" for each one. The D700 read them and placed them where selected without a problem.

In the process I learned there are 98 (or 99?) slots for Custom Picture Controls on the D700.

Now I am off to install them in ViewNX2 and CNX2

Have a great time :-)
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Mainly at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story
Please join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members who help this happen; upgrade.
Check our workshops at the Nikonians Academy and the Nikonians Photo Pro Shop

donnyappletree

Strum, US
385 posts

#9. "RE: Picture Controls" | In response to Reply # 8

donnyappletree Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Jan 2008
Sun 24-Feb-13 06:07 PM

Thank you, jrp...you are wise beyond your years! I did just as you suggested in your post and it worked flawlessly! Thank you again.

Also, thank you for your input on the D2X modes. Very valuable information, indeed...and just what I was looking for.

donnyappletree

G