Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Full Camera Reset - Does it Reset Shutter Count?

marks357

NNJ, US
236 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
marks357 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2008
Fri 08-Feb-13 01:56 PM

I'm asking this re a D700, but I guess it applies to any Nikon body. I recently picked up a used D700 with a low shutter count on the 'Sell' forum here. Then saw another one up for sale, also with a relatively low shutter count, and specifically indicating that it had never been reset.

This may be a silly question, But... it made me wonder if doing a full reset would reset the shutter count? (as per the EXIF data and readable in programs like Opanda). I certainly hope not, and would be surprised if it did, because obviously this would render any shutter count indication meaningless.

-Mark-

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#1. "RE: Full Camera Reset - Does it Reset Shutter Count?" | In response to Reply # 0

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Fri 08-Feb-13 01:34 PM

Nothing the user can do will reset the shutter count. I undersdtand that some procedures undertaken by repair agents result in the count being reset - replacing the shutter, for example.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

rutherfordphoto

Vancouver, CA
5099 posts

#2. "RE: Full Camera Reset - Does it Reset Shutter Count?" | In response to Reply # 0

rutherfordphoto Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Registered since 26th Aug 2002
Fri 08-Feb-13 05:52 PM

LIke Brian mentioned, nothing will reset the actuation count, as in how many times the shutter has been triggered.

Depending on level of the reset, the file numbers can be reset to zero, but this is completely different than the number of actuations on the camera.

~Cheers, Allan~
www.allanschroeder.com

marks357

NNJ, US
236 posts

#3. "RE: Full Camera Reset - Does it Reset Shutter Count?" | In response to Reply # 2

Fri 08-Feb-13 06:41 PM

Thank you both. That's pretty much what I thought, but I figured I'd ask the question anyway, just to be sure.

The Nikonians forums are always my A-Number-1 source of info for all things Nikon!

-Mark-

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3390 posts

#4. "RE: Full Camera Reset - Does it Reset Shutter Count?" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Sun 10-Feb-13 11:14 PM

Mark - It's a fact that you cannot reset the shutter count. But as you know, the default file numbering system starts with DSC and then appends 4 digits, up to 9999, when I rolls over again and starts numbering your files DSC0001. Since I keep my original files forever, I don't want to start seeing files with identical numbers. I also employ two D700 bodies and want to know which body was used for a specific photo. So I learned early on that you can change the first three characters of the file ID, and I use letters to tell which camera body is in use and two digits to tell which cycle of 9999 files I am on. So for may "A" (older body) my files are now identified as A04xxxx. That means the image was shot with my older body and I have sent some 40+ thousand images through it. When it gets out the A049999 -- or very nearly so -- I will go into the menu and reset it to A05xxxx -- and so on. By the time I am up to A26xxxx I will have a quarter million snaps, have changed cameras or be dead -- whichever comes first! You know about Opanda -- for checking the total shutter clicks, I assume.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

marks357

NNJ, US
236 posts

#5. "RE: Full Camera Reset - Does it Reset Shutter Count?" | In response to Reply # 4

Mon 11-Feb-13 06:49 PM

Alan - Good to know, thanks for pointing this out. And, I like your numbering system! Seems like a good way to keep track of things.

Yes, am aware of Opanda. Thanks.

-Mark-

G