Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

My FX jump finally happened, and my choice was the d700

JPJ

Toronto, CA
1327 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009
Wed 16-Jan-13 05:28 AM

I thought I would post this as I know a lot of people looking at going to FX are asking d600, d800 or d700?

Well after a few years of toying with the idea of jumping to FX (mostly for ISO performance as I find myself shooting more and more low light) I finally made the leap. I was happy with my d7000 for the most part, but the ISO performance was lagging behind what I needed.

I actually bought a d600 and after an exchange I returned it (luckily I have an excellent relationship with a local shop). Both cameras attracted an unacceptable amount of sensor dust. I appreciate this issue might be correctable with several cleanings and time, but I wasn't going to pay 2000+ for a camera that needed that type of immediate maintenance.

I trialed a d800 and loved the camera, but not at 36 MP's where I found getting a truly sharp handheld photo too challenging for my liking even at higher than average shutter speeds for the conditions. I am not the steadiest shooter around and this is a camera that will test your technique to the limits. I wasn't going to pay 3000 for a camera that I probably wouldn't use to its potential and was far too revealing of my flaws (I like to live in my fantasy world where I rock).

I then decided to try and track down a used d700 and grip. Found one last week, paid 1400 with just over 30,000 clicks on it and looks brand new (previous owner was female - not trying to be sexist at all but do women take better care of camera equipment because this thing was impeccable and she kept all the packaging, even the plastic wrappers). That is about 50% less than the d600 with grip and tax, and 75% less than the d800 with grip and tax.

So far I am loving this camera, and particularly, I am actually liking the form factor over the smaller DX. Not sure how much I will like the weight when I haul it around this summer, but time will tell. What I do know is that it performs great up to ISO 6400, has no dust issues, or black focus point issues, etc. etc. 12 MP's is all I have ever needed and will ever need and at the price I paid I considered it a no brainer. I am not a pro, and I have no desire to spend money I don't need to.

Honestly, for me this might be camera perfection and if I were Nikon I would have basically applied the increased ISO performance and DR of the d600/d800's and called it a day - the rest of it to me either detracts or is unnecessary. Maybe if they had, they would have avoided the problems that both cameras have had...maybe not. I love the tonality of this camera (which is saying something because I thought the d7k's was awesome) and I am very much looking forward to years of fun with it.

I'll post an update once I get it out for more shoots.

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

IanCT

SF Bay, US
253 posts

#1. "RE: My FX jump finally happened, and my choice was the d700" | In response to Reply # 0

IanCT Registered since 15th Sep 2008
Wed 16-Jan-13 04:54 AM

I can echo everything you've said. I've gone from a D80 to a D300s, added a D7000 for backup and better high-ISO performance, to recently getting the D700 for the same price & shutter clicks in like-new condition (mine was also owned by a female, although I take meticulous care of my gear as well)

Coupled with the 70-200 f2.8, it's a fantastic combo. My first trial run in low light was at a "Wednesday Night Ramble" at the Empress Theater in Vallejo. The shots turned out pretty good considering I had next to no time to get a feel for how the D700 "handles"...
I had no problem with going up to ISO 6400, unlike my D300s where going above 1600 made me cringe. I still love that camera though, it's pretty much married to the 17-55mm.
Shots I took that night are at
http://www.ianthurstonphotography.com/Music/Wednesday-Night-Ramble-Empress

Happy shooting!

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18758 posts

#2. "RE: My FX jump finally happened, and my choice was the d700" | In response to Reply # 0

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Wed 16-Jan-13 03:02 PM

Congrats, Jason! D700 is a great camera, I know I love mine (and I hate that I waited so long to buy it...and so does my NAS Sponsor. )

As far as weight goes...I'm debating (still haven't done it yet) detaching my MB-D10 for a while and seeing how I like without the vertical grip, I do like the grip but carrying all that weight does weigh me down. We'll see...

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

JPJ

Toronto, CA
1327 posts

#3. "RE: My FX jump finally happened, and my choice was the d700" | In response to Reply # 2

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2009
Wed 16-Jan-13 06:54 PM

I already ordered by RRS plate to fit with the grip on (we'll see if I regret that but my back will have to be giving out before I pay for the non-grip version too!). I have fallen for the grip when taking photos in portrait orientation, but could do without it in landscape orientation. I could see not using it on some day romps through the City to save weight, but my L-Plate kinda marries me to it if I plan on any tripod work (practically).

I received a luma cinch strap for Christmas this year, and already have a blackrapid one, so I am hoping one or both effectively carry the weight comfortably. I know I have gone out with my d7000 and 70-200 attached to the BR strap and been fine walking with that setup for hours and hours.

My wife would say the extra exercise is good for me anyway!

Jason

DinoCardelli

Plantation, US
236 posts

#4. "RE: My FX jump finally happened, and my choice was the d700" | In response to Reply # 3

DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010
Wed 16-Jan-13 09:00 PM

D700 = Hapiness

Made the leap myself...

will probably buy another one in a few years...just to have as the back up to the backup..

Can't imagine I would need any more....well...

Maybe a D4

dc

Visit my professional gallery.

BR

Glen Mills, US
542 posts

#5. "RE: My FX jump finally happened, and my choice was the d700" | In response to Reply # 0

BR Registered since 17th Nov 2006
Wed 16-Jan-13 09:15 PM

I just obtained a very low shutter count D700. I bypassed the tempting D600 and D800 holiday deals and went with the D700, which meets my needs quite well.

It seems like a great, well-built camera and good companion to my D200.

Barry

GiantTristan

Stamford, US
2688 posts

#6. "RE: My FX jump finally happened, and my choice was the d700" | In response to Reply # 0

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006
Wed 16-Jan-13 10:41 PM

I believe getting the D700 was an excellent decision. I have had this camera for over four years and have decided to ignore the current offerings from Nikon for reasons similar to yours. Now you will just have to replace your 17-55/2.8 with the even better 24-70/2.8 and you are all set. Enjoy the D700.

Tristan

James23p

Memphis, US
11258 posts

#7. "RE: My FX jump finally happened, and my choice was the d700" | In response to Reply # 0

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004
Thu 17-Jan-13 04:22 PM

Congrats on the D700 I love mine! In my book the D700 fits my photography so well that the D800 and D600 really never came into play. About the only body I would get if I could afford one is either the D3s or D4 but to be honest I would like another D700 as a backup. Again congrats and enjoy.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

Click on image to view larger version

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

rutherfordphoto

Vancouver, CA
5099 posts

#8. "RE: My FX jump finally happened, and my choice was the d700" | In response to Reply # 0

rutherfordphoto Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Registered since 26th Aug 2002
Thu 17-Jan-13 09:28 PM

Congrats on your new to you D700. I love mine, and doubt I'll ever part with them. I've found they offer the perfect balance of image quality, high ISO performance, AF speed and build quality.

I agree with you about the D800, I just don't see a need for 36mp in a 35mm DSLR and while the D600 is an excellent camera, there are still a few areas where it falls short of the D700.

Enjoy it, put that money you saved towards some good glass or a nice set of filters and accessories

~Cheers, Allan~
www.allanschroeder.com

MEMcD

US
31603 posts

#9. "RE: My FX jump finally happened, and my choice was the d700" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Fri 18-Jan-13 04:37 PM

Hi Jason,

Congratulations on your new D700.
An MB-D10 has been attached to my D700 since they arrived together and they have not been apart except when I clean the camera.
I also keep an L-Bracket mounted all the time.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

#10. "RE: My FX jump finally happened, and my choice was the d700" | In response to Reply # 0

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2005
Mon 21-Jan-13 09:16 PM | edited Mon 21-Jan-13 09:21 PM by ZoneV

Good choice. Both are excellent. For me, I feel it's going to come down to which one costs less on the used market when I'm ready to purchase, D700 or D600. Right now, they're not too far apart in that respect.

The D700 also has the ability to sync. with TTL flash at 1/320th sec (at reduced power output); the D600 does the same at 1/250th sec. (also with reduced output) Coming from a camera that syncs. at 1/500th second at full power output, I feel it's important to have as high a sync. speed as possible for fill-flash with a telephoto lens (especially in low light conditions when the subject is moving quickly).

Nikon user since 2000

loveisageless

Oakland, US
119 posts

#11. "RE: My FX jump finally happened, and my choice was the d700" | In response to Reply # 0

loveisageless Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Feb 2011
Tue 22-Jan-13 11:20 PM

I will be getting a D700 later this week. I found a good deal on one with approx. 12,000 shutter count from a seller who upgraded to the D800. I bought and returned two D600 bodies from Best Buy because of the excessive dust issue. I do not want to spend my precious free time wet cleaning a $2000 camera every 200-300 shots until the #### stops dropping on the sensor. I love the form factor and controls on the D700 much more than those of the D600. I am looking forward to many years of picture taking with it.

JPJ

Toronto, CA
1327 posts

#12. "RE: My FX jump finally happened, and my choice was the d700" | In response to Reply # 11

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2009
Tue 22-Jan-13 11:58 PM

Coming from a d7k I was certainly comfortable with the d600 controls, but that dust was a killer. I am liking the ease of changing most of my settings without going into the menus now, but that is more of a treat than a necessity.

Congrats on your d700.

Jason

Rewind

Coquitlam, CA
44 posts

#13. "RE: My FX jump finally happened, and my choice was the d700" | In response to Reply # 12

Rewind Registered since 15th Oct 2007
Fri 25-Jan-13 06:25 AM

I agree I also went with a used D700 and kept my D300. Totally satisfied.Pondered about the new cameras and decided against it.I do not need what they offer or the teething issues.The D700 is going to stay an Ikon camera a long time.

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4962 posts

#14. "RE: My FX jump finally happened, and my choice was the d700" | In response to Reply # 0

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Fri 22-Feb-13 03:42 AM

Wow Jason, $1400 with grip is a smokin deal!

I always found my D700, right from the get-go, to be a very carefree image maker - enjoy. And good to see several others here who likewise have bit. Very balanced camera in its capabilities.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Timeshifte

Dayton, US
206 posts

#15. "RE: My FX jump finally happened, and my choice was the d700" | In response to Reply # 14

Timeshifte Gold Member Nikonian since 10th May 2012
Sat 23-Feb-13 04:13 AM

Congrats on the D700, I love mine, I've had it for 3 years and its my favorite camera to shoot with. I also own a D800E, but using it I have to be 100% on my game to get the quality pix its capable of taking. With D700 I just go and have fun shooting, its more forgiving and does a great joHave fun !!!

spraay2236

US
152 posts

#16. "RE: My FX jump finally happened, and my choice was the d700" | In response to Reply # 0

spraay2236 Registered since 26th Feb 2012
Sun 24-Feb-13 11:57 AM

Congratulations on the new camera and on the wise choice. Both the D600 and D800 seem to have teething pains. I could afford a new D800, but decided against it, since the RAW files were enormous and the focusing issues were coming to light.

Have fun with the new camera!

SP

Learning a little bit more, every day...

Gene Duprey

Cedar Rapids, US
258 posts

#17. "RE: My FX jump finally happened, and my choice was the d700" | In response to Reply # 16

Gene Duprey Registered since 08th Feb 2013
Tue 26-Feb-13 04:11 AM

Congrats on the new to you D700. I have one i bought new a year and a half ago, I do not have the optional grip , and will not buy one as it adds to the weight, which is just fine and I always carry 2 extra batteries. If I want faster drive i have the D4 for that and deal with it's weight ok also.

As for the dust with the D800/600, this seems to be a problem on all the newer DLSRs from any manufacturer. I wtas a problem with Leica's M8, and M9 rangefinders at first. The problem they found and I suspect is the same for Nikons and others these days is over lubricating the newer shutters being used these days. They found they did not need as much lubrication on their new generation shutters, and changed their specs for lubrication and this solved the problems. Caused all kinds of flack from users until they solved the problems. I was one of the lucky ones as my M8 never had the problem, even though it was an early production unit. My D4 is clean and has never had a dust or oil spot problem. One thing I do to avoid dust is, always turn off the camera, and blow air with my mouth, or a blower, if you have the time, around the lens mount before changing lenses, and also hold the lens opening down while changing the lens. Seems to work for me.

Cheers,
Gene

slalom002

Ottawa, CA
69 posts

#18. "RE: My FX jump finally happened, and my choice was the d700" | In response to Reply # 17

slalom002 Registered since 11th Oct 2008
Fri 01-Mar-13 10:25 AM

I kept my D700 when I bought a D800. To me the D700 is not a second body or a back-up it is my go to camera when I do not want to bring a tripod or I want more frames per second.

My only regret was waiting so long for the D700. I waited almost 2 years after it was released before making the switch from a D200.

Stephen B

UK
6 posts

#19. "RE: My FX jump finally happened, and my choice was the d700" | In response to Reply # 0

Stephen B Registered since 02nd Mar 2013
Sun 03-Mar-13 04:58 PM

I recently picked up a mint D700 with around a 1000 actuations on it to add to my D300s, I had been toying with going FX for some time before purchasing it, and am now wondering why I waited so long...

Steve.

vitalishe

Los Alamos, US
445 posts

#20. "RE: My FX jump finally happened, and my choice was the d700" | In response to Reply # 19

vitalishe Registered since 27th Dec 2012
Sun 14-Jul-13 04:01 PM

I also just purchased a used D700 for a bargain price together with 50mm f/1.4 and some other accessories. Sold 50mm because I already had 50mm f/1.8 which I believe is sharper (and cheaper). Although D700 with f/1.4 is a night vision system. But I had to slim down somewhere to pay.

I now have D700 and D7100 and I love both, D700 for poor light and D7100 for wildlife and macro. Still learning the controls of D700. I should say, D700 broke my fear of ISO over 1600 and I love it for it.

mosport72

Gilsum, US
2 posts

#21. "RE: My FX jump finally happened, and my choice was the d700" | In response to Reply # 20

mosport72 Registered since 19th May 2013
Wed 24-Jul-13 12:20 AM | edited Wed 24-Jul-13 12:24 AM by mosport72

Picked up a D700 a few months ago on E bay with under 400 clicks paid a little more than i wanted to but every other one had over 20,000 + clicks. Looked at a D600 as used ones were close in price but thought 12mp was enough and liked the size and feel of the D700 better. Camera was local so i was able to handle it before i paid for it. Just bought the Nikonian press book which is helping to learn all the controls. Need to sell my D90 and my DX lenses to get some FX lenses only have a 50mm f1.4 and a older 300mm f4 need a wide lens looking for a 14 - 24 f2.8.

ctadin

St Louis, US
1369 posts

#22. "RE: My FX jump finally happened, and my choice was the d700" | In response to Reply # 21

ctadin Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008
Wed 24-Jul-13 10:48 AM

Congrats on your purchase, you'll never regret it.

Cheryl

tma

US
31 posts

#23. "RE: My FX jump finally happened, and my choice was the d700" | In response to Reply # 0

tma Registered since 24th Feb 2008
Thu 25-Jul-13 12:26 PM | edited Fri 26-Jul-13 03:02 PM by tma

Great choice!

I bought a new D700 about two years ago and it has been my "workhorse" body, with the D300 as my backups. Have never regretted it. It's handled all of my needs, including a lot of low light shooting for events.

I've never used a grip, mostly because of the additional weight factor (the lens I have to use the most is a 70-200 2.8 which is enough additional weight in itself) and I usually wind up working 12-18 hour days.

jcsocalphoto

San Diego, US
2360 posts

#24. "RE: My FX jump finally happened, and my choice was the d700" | In response to Reply # 21

jcsocalphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2013
Thu 25-Jul-13 07:29 PM

You'll love your D700 ... I've had mine for almost three years and still don't see getting another body to replace it. I wouldn't mind having a D800 at some point, but won't get rido of my 700 I'm sure even then. I just sold my D300 about a month ago - I just didn't use it much since getting my 700(I thoguth I would and I kept it because I could use the MB grip on both the 700 and the 300, but the images are so much nicer on my 700!).
Enjoy it - it's a wonderful camera (and my favorite Nikon to date!).

jcsocalphoto

San Diego, US
2360 posts

#25. "RE: My FX jump finally happened, and my choice was the d700" | In response to Reply # 23

jcsocalphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2013
Thu 25-Jul-13 07:30 PM

TMA,
I can't seem to see your galleries for some reason...

Bob32

Chico, US
5933 posts

#26. "RE: My FX jump finally happened, and my choice was the d700" | In response to Reply # 0

Bob32 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jul 2007
Sun 04-Aug-13 03:50 PM

Jason,

Congrats on your acquisition of the D700. A wise move indeed! After 4-1/2 years my love affair with the D700 continues big time. I use it primarily for shooting sports events at 5 FPS, and my last check of the shutter count showed 116,433 actuations. If I wear out the shutter I'll replace it and keep right on going. I am careful in changing lenses, and the only sensor cleaning I have had to do in that entire time is to blow off the sensor one time. I frequently shoot at ISO 6400 with no sweat and occasionally push it to ISO 12800 if the situation calls for it. I have no interest in either the D600, D800, or D4.

Bob

Rewind

Coquitlam, CA
44 posts

#27. "RE: My FX jump finally happened, and my choice was the d700" | In response to Reply # 26

Rewind Registered since 15th Oct 2007
Sat 24-Aug-13 02:10 AM

Congrats,I bought a used D700 and I all I can say is wow.Tried the D600 and D800 great cameras but too many issues.I guess you can't expect there would not be after all the disaster's.I currently use a D300 and a D700 and love both because of the interchangable batteries, grips and menu's.Keep on shootin and loving the results

G