Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

When to send D700 in for service?

covrc

Boston, US
374 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
covrc Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Mar 2004
Mon 31-Dec-12 04:09 AM

Hi All.

My D700 has about 63K shutter activations on it. I have cleaned the sensor a dozen times or so.
The rubber panel on the 'FX' side is beginning to fail and peel off.

I have a new D800.
Does it make sense to send the D700 to Nikon to 'tune it up'and service and to fix the rubbers etc???
It has never been serviced.

Thanks. Rocco

Your gonna miss 100% of the shots you never take, so keep shooting.

Visit www.roccosphototavern.com

There's Something For Everybody At Rocco's Photo Tavern.

Performance, Landscape, Portrait, Street, Creative and more.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7075 posts

#1. "RE: When to send D700 in for service?" | In response to Reply # 0

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Mon 31-Dec-12 04:36 AM

Since you now have another camera so that there is no "no camera down time", I would use the peeling rubber as an excuse to have a cleaning and inspection done.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

robsb

San Jose, US
14860 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#2. "RE: When to send D700 in for service?" | In response to Reply # 1

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Mon 31-Dec-12 05:50 AM | edited Wed 02-Jan-13 01:54 AM by robsb

Make sure you have an issue, for as I found out recently, if you send an item to Nikon without indicating anything wrong, they will not cover the service under warranty. I tried to get them to "tune up" a lens which was working fine but coming up on its 5 yr warranty end. they did a cursory look could find no performance issues and wanted to charge me over $350 to open it up and check further. I declined and they sent my lens back. EDIT 1/1/13- I should mention that many years ago I did have one repair done by Nikon. At the time I was using an F3HP and put my thumb through the shutter curtain (I know, I know!!). They did a great job in repairing it for me. So other than stupid operator malfunctions, I have NEVER had a failure of any Nikon product and I started buying Nikon in 1962.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

covrc

Boston, US
374 posts

#3. "RE: When to send D700 in for service?" | In response to Reply # 2

covrc Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Mar 2004
Mon 31-Dec-12 11:37 AM

Well the camera is well out of warranty and as I said above, the rubber grip is coming off on the right side of camera.

I am just wondering what Nikon does as a 'tune up' in addition to fixing the rubber?

Thanks

Your gonna miss 100% of the shots you never take, so keep shooting.

Visit www.roccosphototavern.com

There's Something For Everybody At Rocco's Photo Tavern.

Performance, Landscape, Portrait, Street, Creative and more.

JonK

New York, US
6331 posts

#4. "RE: When to send D700 in for service?" | In response to Reply # 3

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004
Mon 31-Dec-12 12:04 PM

I'm pretty sure they automatically do a general cleaning of any item being repaired.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3333 posts

#5. "RE: When to send D700 in for service?" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Mon 31-Dec-12 09:08 PM | edited Mon 31-Dec-12 09:18 PM by ajdooley

I've had two problems with my D700 bodies that I have never experienced with previous Nikons:
-- Hot shoes loosening and needing to be replaced, and
-- rubber panels coming loose.

I wrote to Nikon about the hot shoes, but never received a response. I am concerned about the rubber coverings as well. Again -- 45+ years with Nikon cameras and never a problem. Now 3 and a few months with D700s and several issues common to both bodies. In the meanwhile, Nikon is non-responsive.

Therefore I don't think it makes sense to send anything to Nikon and I am getting my repairs done at APS in Morton Grove, IL. They communicate, fix things the first time and get the job done quickly. I've seen none of those characteristics at Nikon's own facilities in the last two years or so. Again, I have used Nikons through decades of military life, on five continents and in 25+ countries without problems. I hope my experiences with my D700 bodies -- which I otherwise absolutely love -- do not portend the future. Nikon put a dent in Canon's proliferation among pros with the D3/D700 family. But if they don't get their service and communication back on track they are going to lose market penetration again. To prevail in the market, you need to offer a great product and back it superbly. I'm pretty sure the latter element is absent and am growing worried about the product as well. My D1X, D100 and D200 cameras were great out of the box and never gave me any problems.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

NikonMark37814

Morristown, US
1125 posts

#6. "RE: When to send D700 in for service?" | In response to Reply # 5

NikonMark37814 Registered since 20th May 2010
Tue 01-Jan-13 12:00 PM

I on the other hand have never had a problem with Nikon repair. I sent my D2x in a couple of months ago for a cla and received a like new camera with clean sensor, new rubber grips, meter calibration and so on. It was routine service and I think I paid a little over $200. I plan to do the same with my 4 year old D700 soon.

mVs
D2x, D300s, D700 & D800

espeto68

Oeiras, PT
475 posts

#7. "RE: When to send D700 in for service?" | In response to Reply # 3

espeto68 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2010
Tue 01-Jan-13 02:47 PM

Hi Rocco,

Happy New Year to you!

I sent a F100 to Nikon to CLA, with no issues mentioned, and they did a nice job returning it like new, focus screen replaced, rubber grip replaced, etc., It was quite expensive (298€), but we don't have Nikon services here in Portugal, so it went to Nikon Spain.
I found it a very good job done.
This year will send my D90 (2years old) to CLA, and then my D700, with no hesitation.

P.S. Sorry we miss to meet in Boston last year. I owe you one.
Let's see if i can make it this year, in my annual trip to US.

José

Nikonians!!! My best investment made after my camera!!!

D700, D90, D70s(IR), F100, F80, F Photomic FTn

DinoCardelli

Plantation, US
236 posts

#8. "RE: When to send D700 in for service?" | In response to Reply # 6

DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010
Thu 03-Jan-13 09:27 PM | edited Thu 03-Jan-13 09:28 PM by DinoCardelli

There is a great factory Authorized service Center in Atlanta that I recently used....

Walked me around the shop....it was like NAS on steriods (LOL)...

Even let me play with some Leica lenses he adapted to my Nikon (Wow !!!) almost bit

CAMERA SERVICE CO.
4391 W. ATLANTA RD.SE
SMYRNA, GA 30080

The owner is a Japanese guy who's been working cameras for 40 years...

They serviced my D7K and D700 for cleaning and fixed my 14-24mm Nikkor that I dropped...

You can ship and they will give you an estimate or service.

Higly recomment....

They've been in busines for over 45 years.

dc

Visit my professional gallery.

bobtoo999

NW Arkansas, US
13 posts

#9. "RE: When to send D700 in for service?" | In response to Reply # 5

bobtoo999 Registered since 27th Dec 2009
Sat 12-Jan-13 04:34 PM

>
>Therefore I don't think it makes sense to send anything to
>Nikon and I am getting my repairs done at APS in Morton Grove,
>IL. They communicate, fix things the first time and get the
>job done quickly.

Alan, I'll second your recommendation of APS. They did a great job of repairing the hot shoe issue on my D700 last summer in addition to the general CLA.

Steve

hillsidekim

Hillside, US
549 posts

#10. "RE: When to send D700 in for service?" | In response to Reply # 9

hillsidekim Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jan 2008
Fri 18-Jan-13 03:47 AM

APS ++
Kim
Western burbs of Chicago

tma

US
31 posts

#11. "RE: When to send D700 in for service?" | In response to Reply # 0

tma Registered since 24th Feb 2008
Fri 18-Jan-13 02:19 PM

Chiming in a little late

My D700 workhorse goes to Nikon every six months whether I'm aware of something it needs, or not. At the very least, I send it and the 70-200mm 2.8 VR in to the Nikon service center for a "clean and calibration".

Nikon will go completely through the equipment and return it to factory specs (assuming it's a USA body of course, and not gray).

Your first repair can be fairly costly depending on what they find (but still far far less then replacing that body), but once returned to factory specs, Nikon puts a new, 6 month warranty on the equipment.

Nikon has replaced grips, bottom plates, battery door covers, shutter arms/levers, front elements, mirror arms - and so much more. And as long as you are in that 6 month warranty window and it's not water or impact damage, you should be good to go.

G