Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Can someone please help me with bracketing.

Bearsmom2

Florence, US
75 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bearsmom2 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jul 2012
Sun 30-Dec-12 07:52 PM

I know this will sound incredibly dumb but.... I have gone over the instructions in both the Nikonians instruction manual and the one supplied with the camera.

It seems to take me in circles from this page to one a hundred pages later and then some more later still, then sending me back to some page three hundred previous, and then all I seem to wind up with is how to bracket with a flash.

Here's my problem, about the only thing worth photographing down here in central Texas right now, aside from my critters, is the sunsets and sunrises.

Often they are magnificent, however, I wind up with brilliant skies and totally black landscape or burned out color near the sun and a little color in the lanscape. Id like to try bracketing about three to five stops.

I have my camera all set for the amount of stops and I have it set to continuous slow shutter release, at least I think I do, but I cant for the life of me figure out how to 'trigger' the bracketing. IE: what button do I push to initiate the bracketing when I hit the exposure button.

Can someone please have mercy on me and reduce the six or eight pages in the two manuals to a few simple steps from initial setup to pushing the shutter button in order of importance and function. Just a few words to direct me, go here do this go there do that push this button or whatever and hit the shutter release. Sort of a simple track to follow.

I'm really not stupid but this particular function is driving me crazy
I would be eternally grateful.

Thank you and Happy New Year

P.S. If you are out on the road tonight remember the one thing my dad told me. "I know you know what you are doing, just watch out for what the other guy is doing.

Karen

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

niksi

Kranj, SI
219 posts

#1. "RE: Can someone please help me with bracketing." | In response to Reply # 0

niksi Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2006
Sun 30-Dec-12 08:03 PM | edited Sun 30-Dec-12 08:16 PM by niksi

Hi, Karen,

When I first tried to use bracketing, I stuck at the same point as you did

In fact using the bracketing is a bit tricky since you have to check first if the FUNCT button is assigned to bracketing, which is a default setting. If you reassigned the FUNCT button to something else, you will have to reassign it back to bracketing. Here is a short cookbook for exposure bracketing:

1. Use f5 (Assign FUNCT. button) to assign the "FUNCT. button press" to NONE (OFF). (See page 320)
2. Set the Auto Bracketing with the function e5. For shooting sunsets I would suggest to set the "AE only" bracketing. (See page 315)
3. You can also use e7 to set the bracketing order. (see page 316)
4. Use f5 (Assign FUNCT. button) to assign the "FUNCT. button + dials" to "Auto bracketing" (BKT). (See page 320)
5. While pressing the FUNCT button, use the main (back) command dial to set the number of shots in the bracketing sequence (the shots are shown on the top display). (See pages 131 and 132 of the user manual)
6. While pressing the FUNCT button, use the sub-command dial (front) to set the exposure increment between the shots (the increment is shown on the top display). (See pages 131 and 132 of the user manual)
7. If you wish, you can still set the exposure compensation (the actual exposure steps are shown on top display).

IMPORTANT!!! Do not forget ot turn off the bracketing after you finish the shooting! By missing this step all your further photographs will be bracketed and hence over- or underexposed. To turn the bracketing off: While pressing the FUNCT button, use main command dial to set the bracketing to off (OF is shown on the top display).

That's it. Simple, isn't it ?
I hope that this will help you to make some nice sunset pictures.

I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy Photographic New Year!

Niko
-----------------------
Never underestimate!

danshep

Olympia, US
1629 posts

#2. "RE: Can someone please help me with bracketing." | In response to Reply # 0

danshep Gold Member Charter Member
Sun 30-Dec-12 08:13 PM

One option might be to expose for the sunset but depending upon what's in the foreground, using a flash for fill-in.

I know this does not address your bracketing question, but it offers you just one more option.

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

Bearsmom2

Florence, US
75 posts

#3. "RE: Can someone please help me with bracketing." | In response to Reply # 1

Sun 30-Dec-12 09:58 PM

Thank you Niko

This looks a lot easier than wading through the different pages of the manuals. I am printin it out and will read through it thoroughly then file it in my Nikonians manual.

I am relieved to hear I wasnt the only one confused by the patchy posting in the manuals.

Now all I have to do is wait for another nice sunset. It didnt happen tonight.

Thanks again and HNY

Karen

Karen

Bearsmom2

Florence, US
75 posts

#4. "RE: Can someone please help me with bracketing." | In response to Reply # 2

Sun 30-Dec-12 10:02 PM

Hi Dan

thanks for taking the time to reply but what Im looking at out the back yard is uphill and about thirty acres of assorted cedar oak and a few other trees as well as pasture so not only is it too long a distance but the pasture is over the hill from the sunset so its actually in shadow.

Your suggestion would probably work on a beach or downhill vista that just needed a little light. Ill keep that in mind if I ever get off the ranch at sunset. LOL

HNY

Karen

nathantw

US
184 posts

#5. "RE: Can someone please help me with bracketing." | In response to Reply # 0

nathantw Registered since 16th Jan 2008
Sun 30-Dec-12 10:09 PM

>I know this will sound incredibly dumb but.... I have gone
>over the instructions in both the Nikonians instruction manual
>and the one supplied with the camera.
>
>It seems to take me in circles from this page to one a hundred
>pages later and then some more later still, then sending me
>back to some page three hundred previous, and then all I seem
>to wind up with is how to bracket with a flash.

So you don't feel too bad, I too have had this problem. I got it working for me a couple times, but only when I'm fooling around. When it comes to actually needing to use it I usually just make a snap decision and decide to do it manually. I can't be bothered fiddling with buttons and options.

Also http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathantw/

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7109 posts

#6. "RE: Can someone please help me with bracketing." | In response to Reply # 1

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Mon 31-Dec-12 04:32 AM

The D200 has a separate bracket button. I really miss this on the D700, but for the D700 I eventually went back to it being the FUNC button.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3390 posts

#7. "RE: Can someone please help me with bracketing." | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Tue 01-Jan-13 11:03 AM

Karen -- Repeat after me: "There are no dumb questions." Again: "There are no dumb questions." If you are wondering about something, there are others who were reluctant to ask because they thought the question was dumb too! Photographically speaking, we are all at different points in our lives. Even within our own skill set there are things we are masters of and others that baffle us. Nikonians is a wonderful place to raise these questions, because they will invariably be answered concisely, correctly and with kindness and courtesy -- and usually quickly!

BTW, you might look at the Camera Raw capability of Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 4. The gradient filter function in both often covers the problem of widely disparate exposures in the same image, either by allowing you to darken the sky or lighten the foreground. The gradint filter is also a handy quick burning tool.

And thanks for the PS advice - we just stayed home on NY eve!

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

William Rounds

Rambouillet, FR
743 posts

#8. "RE: Can someone please help me with bracketing." | In response to Reply # 7

William Rounds Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011
Thu 03-Jan-13 12:59 PM

I think it would be easier to just use manual settings. Take a picture. Too dark on your screen? Open up a stop or slow down the shutter until it looks good to you.

nathantw

US
184 posts

#9. "RE: Can someone please help me with bracketing." | In response to Reply # 8

nathantw Registered since 16th Jan 2008
Thu 03-Jan-13 02:29 PM

>I think it would be easier to just use manual settings. Take
>a picture. Too dark on your screen? Open up a stop or slow
>down the shutter until it looks good to you.

I think this is one of the reasons why handheld meters aren't popular any longer. When a person can take a quick picture and see the exposure and adjust accordingly there's no real reason to have one.

Also http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathantw/

Bearsmom2

Florence, US
75 posts

#10. "RE: Can someone please help me with bracketing." | In response to Reply # 7

Wed 09-Jan-13 04:58 PM

Thanks Alan thats very kind of you. I have found people on this board to be very pleasant and helpful.

I know there are other ways to do the same thing but I wanted to exlpore different options and see which one worked best for me. I just couldnt seem to figure this one out.

As luck would have it there has only been one sunset of note since I asked the question. Just grey skies and finally several days of blessed rain that we really need.

I recieved a free copy(imagine that)of Photoshop with a new Dell computer in '95 and never could figure it out. Im thinking seriously of trying out Lightroom though as soon as I get my new computer finished.

Thanks again to everyone who replied. Everyones input has been valuable as it reminds me of old techniques I used to use with film that I dont think of using with digital. Wow I've just been out of the loop too long.

Karen

G