Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Picture controls

expat

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT
532 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010
Fri 14-Dec-12 07:59 PM

I have my D700 as a rule set to Neutral Pic control and I only shoot NEF RAW.

Sorry if its a stupid idea but cant quite get my head around the fact that different picture controls set in camera are going to produce different spreads in the histogram on the LCD.

So if I am in Neutral Picture Control and check that the histogram is not up against the right hand edge in camera and then open the RAW in Capture NX2 and decide to change the control at that stage to say Landscape then the histogram will increase in width.
So would it be better to set Landscape in camera (despite being able to change the RAW in post)in order to set/judge the exposure for max to the right. Because Neutral produces the narrower band on the LCD?

Does it matter as long as it was properly exposed within the axis in camera when set in Neutral.
ie NX2 should provide enough control.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7064 posts

#1. "RE: Picture controls" | In response to Reply # 0

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Fri 14-Dec-12 08:07 PM

When shooting raw, the data is what the data is. By changing the picture controls, you change the way it is being processed before it gets displayed (or saved to a new file). What the histogram will display is the result after the processing by the software. The amount of space shown by the histogram is the amount of room you have left for the rest of your post processing, in gross broad-sweeping terms.

If you tend to use the "expose to the right" system, and you prefer to process your pictures similarly to the picture controls, you might be better off setting those controls in the camera. That way the JPG shown on the LCD will approximate the raw results after post processing, thus letting you see if your exposure settings will present a problem later.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

GiantTristan

Stamford, US
2669 posts

#2. "RE: Picture controls" | In response to Reply # 0

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006
Sat 15-Dec-12 01:13 AM

The raw file contains a lot more information than can be displayed on the histogram. I believe that using "neutral" in picture control with all sliders set to the lowest value, you get the best approximation to the raw file. I habitually overexpose with the D700 to capture the low noise data to the right. In PP iwth LR4 these data are pulled back by moving the exposure slider to left. This procedure minimizes noise.

Tristan

KenLPhotos

Stewartstown, US
1907 posts

#3. "RE: Picture controls" | In response to Reply # 0

KenLPhotos Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009
Sat 15-Dec-12 10:45 AM

To sum it up, picture controls affect how the RAW data is displayed. Camera controls affect how the RAW data is captured.

KenL

There are many 'photographs of beautiful objects' but not so many 'beautiful photographs of objects'.

expat

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT
532 posts

#4. "RE: Picture controls" | In response to Reply # 3

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010
Tue 18-Dec-12 10:12 AM

Thanks for the useful replies.

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10524 posts

#5. "RE: Picture controls" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Tue 18-Dec-12 08:30 PM

Neutral applies the lowest possible level of contrast and saturation - even less than standard. So in an image with a large dynamic range, neutral may give you a bit more space to assess adjustments to exposure.

Generally I'm using Standard these days. I have found that higher contrast levels in Vivid and Landscape picture controls are also more likely to generate excessive highlights and shadows.

As the others have indicated, the RAW image data is the same with all of these options. But the embedded JPEG is different, and you do have a great deal of latitude to process a neutral file with minimal contrast or alternative contrast in Capture NX2 or other tools.

In practice, I tend to make adjustments in post processing if I have an image that needs an exception. So I might move from Standard to Neutral and then only apply contrast as needed. I might even make decisions about applying Contrast differently to luminance vs. chromninance channels.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

G