Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 Viewfinder Coverage Issue

gheck58

Aliso Viejo, US
2911 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003
Fri 16-Nov-12 07:59 PM

I'm trying to decide on what second body (or first for that matter) to get. Either a D700 or D3 and I'm concerned about the smaller viewfinder coverage area on the D700 compared to my D300S and the D3. I rented a D700 for a shoot last week but didn't really pay any attention to it. Does anyone have any major issues with this? I'd consider a D600 but it's a little too small, slow, and I don't like the top 1/200 sync.

Thank You,

Hecky

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Asgard

East Frisia, DE
60239 posts

#1. "RE: D700 Viewfinder Coverage Issue" | In response to Reply # 0

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004
Fri 16-Nov-12 09:06 PM

95 vs 100 % is not a big issue. No problem so far.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

dhrphoto

Laurel, US
159 posts

#2. "RE: D700 Viewfinder Coverage Issue" | In response to Reply # 0

dhrphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Sep 2007
Sat 17-Nov-12 12:25 AM

I have a D300s & D700 , I use both regularly and have no problems swithing between the two. Knowing that the D700 viewfinder isn't 100%, I allow for that and also check the monitor.

May Your Day Be Happy And
Full Of Beautiful Images
D.H.R.

gheck58

Aliso Viejo, US
2911 posts

#3. "RE: D700 Viewfinder Coverage Issue" | In response to Reply # 2

Sat 17-Nov-12 02:14 PM

Thank you both. Now I'm just torn between the single card slot or the dual slot of the D3.

Hecky

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3333 posts

#4. "RE: D700 Viewfinder Coverage Issue" | In response to Reply # 3

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Sat 17-Nov-12 03:59 PM

It's not a problem. I shoot the D700, with medium jpgs for rapid use with the newspaper I shoot for -- they run 3 mb or so -- and RAW 14 bt for my keepers. On an 8GB card that's room for 250 shots. I carry 8 of those cards. I could use larger capacity cards, but I don't like all my eggs in one basket. I figure if I survived with 36 hots on film, I cn squeeze by with 250 on an 8gb card. Buy the camera that suits you best -- price, etc.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

gheck58

Aliso Viejo, US
2911 posts

#5. "RE: D700 Viewfinder Coverage Issue" | In response to Reply # 4

Sat 17-Nov-12 06:18 PM

Thank you Alan. I found one on eBay and bought it. Hopefully it's a good one. I'm looking forward to shooting with it.

Hecky

robsb

San Jose, US
14860 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#6. "RE: D700 Viewfinder Coverage Issue" | In response to Reply # 4

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Sat 17-Nov-12 11:30 PM

Alan I am shooting RAW 14 bit lossless compressed and on a 16 GB card I am getting well over 650 images but I only shoot RAW not RAW + JPEG.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

Drbee

Naperville, US
5927 posts

#7. "RE: D700 Viewfinder Coverage Issue" | In response to Reply # 5

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004
Sun 18-Nov-12 01:07 AM

Gregg,

I like my D700. I also have a D2Hs with 100% finder. I find that I can go between the two on a shoot and do not have any issues with the D700 finder. I find the dust "removal" system on the D700 to be far more valuable than the 95% VF coverage. My D2Hs requires a bit more attention to the sensor than my D700. I believe the D3 is lacking that feature.

I think you will be very happy with the D700.

Now of course you will have to personalize it with some FX glass. The FX equivalent of your 17-55mm f/2.8 AFS DX would be your second of the three kings. I'm using the 24-120mm f/4 and it's my go to general purpose lens. With VR and the highISO capability of the D700, I think it's a good match.

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

gheck58

Aliso Viejo, US
2911 posts

#8. "RE: D700 Viewfinder Coverage Issue" | In response to Reply # 6

Sun 18-Nov-12 03:59 PM

Thank you Bob and Roger. Yes my next challenge is glass. I currently have the 17-55, 50G 1.4, 70-200VR and 105VR. My 17-55 have been one of my go to event and PJ lenses. I will probably sell it and get a 24-70 that I could use on both the D300s and 700 but I'm also thinking about the 16-35VR. I'd really love to have a 35 1.4 but I don't think it's wide enough for my event stuff (can't afford a 24).

Hecky

Drbee

Naperville, US
5927 posts

#9. "RE: D700 Viewfinder Coverage Issue" | In response to Reply # 8

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004
Sun 18-Nov-12 10:20 PM

I'm reading good things about the 28mm f/1.8 AFS on other forums. It's gets a lot of critical evaluation because there is stuff written about focus shift on the lens. But in practical landscape, PJ and event stuff, I've yet to be convinced that is is a problem that is readily evident in images. I haven't sprung for one because I have a 28mm f/2 AIS and it delivers regularly for me, plus it just doesn't flare so I find it great for night street and travel night-markets where I want to get close in situations where the lighting is often just a bare bulb.

Anyway, lots of choices. Review you images and see what you use regularly and keep notes on images-lost because of wrong focal length. Those too pieces of data will often help you define your requirement when it's time to expand.

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

G