Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

used d700 or new d600

medlowa

Calgary, CA
26 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
medlowa Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2008
Sun 21-Oct-12 05:31 PM

I have d300 but i am looking to upgrade so should I buy a used d700 or a new d600 what are your thoughts

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

espeto68

Oeiras, PT
475 posts

#1. "RE: used d700 or new d600" | In response to Reply # 0

espeto68 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2010
Sun 21-Oct-12 03:51 PM

Hi

If you take the used D700, you'll get an excelent camera, same AF as the D300 (i guess), better low light high ISO, better DOF, same controls, same grip and same battery type as your D300.
The D600 route means new technology, new sensor, more pixels, not so big camera, not so good AF system (i guess), slower fps rate, new grip, new battery.

I was "almost" in the same boat a few months ago, coming from a D90, and, after the D600 was announced, i opted for the used D700.
For me, it has better button layout, better built camera, share the same battery as my D90, better AF than the D600, enough pixels.

José

Nikonians!!! My best investment made after my camera!!!

D700, D90, F80, F Photomic FTn

GiantTristan

Stamford, US
2688 posts

#2. "RE: used d700 or new d600" | In response to Reply # 0

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006
Sun 21-Oct-12 07:21 PM | edited Sun 21-Oct-12 07:23 PM by GiantTristan

I have been using the D700 for over four years. This is an outstanding camera , and I see no reason to "upgrade" to the D600/D800 - if Nikon comes up with a lighter and less expensive version of the D4, I might be tempted. Ergonomics and built of the D700 are very similar to the D300, and you can use the same charger, battery, memory cards - and computer.

Tristan

Tinkers Realm

Pacific Wonderland!, US
266 posts

#3. "RE: used d700 or new d600" | In response to Reply # 2

Tinkers Realm Registered since 24th Feb 2011
Mon 22-Oct-12 05:22 AM

I recently sold my D800 & hunted down a low S/count D700- the image quality is superb in my opinion and I have not seen Nikon produce a camera like it yet!
D700 gets my vote!

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.

www.TinkersRealm.com

MEMcD

US
31603 posts

#4. "RE: used d700 or new d600" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Mon 22-Oct-12 06:59 AM

Hi Alan,

Both bodies are excellent.
As stated above, the D700 has just about the same control layout as the D300 that you are used to and a similar FPS rate.
The D600 has more resolution, dynamic range, and better high ISO performance than the D700.
The bottom line is you can't go wrong with either body.
Pick the one that works best for your particular requirements.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

DinoCardelli

Plantation, US
236 posts

#5. "RE: used d700 or new d600" | In response to Reply # 4

DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010
Mon 22-Oct-12 08:24 PM | edited Mon 22-Oct-12 08:25 PM by DinoCardelli

I recently shot the D600..same config as my D7K...

So, for me, not a big issue..

But, to be honest, I like the D700 controls, e.g. ISO/WB etc up on top..

As well, I like the feel of "meat in your hands, especially with the battery back" which for me with sausage fingers, make a huge difference when shooting the heavy lenses !!!

My vote, go D700.....it's a workhorse with a great past..

Just bought the D700 in July...at 9K shots...I shoot it like i stole it

dc

Visit my professional gallery.

photohombre

Louisville CO, US
86 posts

#6. "RE: used d700 or new d600" | In response to Reply # 0

photohombre Basic Member
Tue 23-Oct-12 12:28 AM

This was the exact issue I faced last month. After very extensive research, as well as my bias towards the D700, I purchased a good, solid used D700. One consideration you might take into account if you go the used route: an extended warranty. There are some great deals now on nice used 700s that didn't exist even four weeks ago. I decided to pay a little more and went with an established photography dealer so that I could add a two year extended warranty (added $99 to the bottom line cost) So that gave me 30 months of coverage. There are only two extended warranty plans I would ever purchase: cameras and computers. I would also add that the issuer of the extended warranty makes a big difference: who is going to do the work on a damaged DSLR? I've read a few horror stories some have experienced from shady warranty operations. A little background check goes a long, long way to keep a buyer happy.

Richard

medlowa

Calgary, CA
26 posts

#7. "RE: used d700 or new d600" | In response to Reply # 6

medlowa Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2008
Tue 23-Oct-12 01:18 AM

Thanks to you all for your input, it confirms my gut feel so I will zero in on the D700

William Rounds

Rambouillet, FR
743 posts

#8. "RE: used d700 or new d600" | In response to Reply # 7

William Rounds Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011
Tue 06-Nov-12 02:28 PM

I don't know what you finally decided on, but I have a D700 and don't really feel the need to invest in a D600 or D800. In fact, I prefered to invest in the grip and the EN-EL4a batteries to increase the fps to 8. I going to try to take more "birds in flight" photos and for sports it would be hard to find a better FX camera body. Whizzing along at 8fps is exhilarating to say to the least.

professorune

HK
1248 posts

#9. "RE: used d700 or new d600" | In response to Reply # 0

professorune Registered since 08th Jun 2013
Tue 18-Jun-13 12:14 PM

A used D700 is in my opinion better than a new D600. The D700 has better weather seal & build is more "PRO."

Looking at the specification of the D600, I always felt this was a very novice full frame camera, to be purchased only as a back up body.

If you're already using a D300, you'll probably enjoy a D700 more.

G