Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is it a bad idea to use a generic brand replacement battery?

anikanahmed

London, UK
3 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
anikanahmed Registered since 17th Oct 2012
Wed 17-Oct-12 09:37 AM

I am looking to buy a new Nikon battery for my D700. I just read somewhere that a replacement generic brand battery can damage the camera. Is that true? I have used original batteries in my camera til now. But I am looking to buy a new one. Even some buyers on amazon have complained that the batteries sold by amazon are Fake. How am I supposed to know and how much should a brand new ENEL3e battery cost? I am confused by the many prices and brands. Energizer does one that is pretty expensive as well. Would that damage my camera?

Please help.

CharlieS

US
1729 posts

#1. "RE: Is it a bad idea to use a generic brand replacement battery?" | In response to Reply # 0

CharlieS Registered since 29th Aug 2007
Wed 17-Oct-12 10:31 AM

Some users report they have had ok luck with aftermarket batteries, while others have reported problems. For the price of a genuine battery compared to the price of the D700 why scrimp and try to save a few bucks while taking the risk of camera damage:
You'll pay a little more but if you limit your purchase to buying from a reputable camera dealer you can be assured its a genuine nikon battery.

Robp

Gainesville, US
951 posts

#2. "RE: Is it a bad idea to use a generic brand replacement battery?" | In response to Reply # 0

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009
Wed 17-Oct-12 10:41 AM

I have the original Nikon battery and one labeled as a Lenmar (made in China). The Lenmar battery works OK but does not hold a charge for even half the time that the Nikon one does. I would definitely not recommend the Lenmar or any other "replacement" battery for the Nikon. Go ahead and spring for the original Nikon battery direct from them and avoid any "hassles" that potentially may (probably will) occur with replacements.

Rob Puller
My Nikonians gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

anikanahmed

London, UK
3 posts

#3. "RE: Is it a bad idea to use a generic brand replacement battery?" | In response to Reply # 0

Wed 17-Oct-12 11:59 AM

~Thank you both for the response. Trouble is that I can't seem to locate an original online. Even Nikon EU is showing the battery as being out of stock.

Daveecopping

Polegate, UK
191 posts

#4. "RE: Is it a bad idea to use a generic brand replacement battery?" | In response to Reply # 3

Daveecopping Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2011
Thu 18-Oct-12 01:04 PM

Anika,

Amazon UK have EN-EL3 batteries in stock for £27.00. I know these are genuine as I bought one myself last week.

Best wishes always,

Dave

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#5. "RE: Is it a bad idea to use a generic brand replacement battery?" | In response to Reply # 4

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Thu 18-Oct-12 01:12 PM

>Amazon UK have EN-EL3 batteries in stock for £27.00.

Presumably, that's the EN-EL3e...? The EN-EL3 was an earlier battery intended for the D100, D70 and D50, and won't fit or work in a D700.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Daveecopping

Polegate, UK
191 posts

#6. "RE: Is it a bad idea to use a generic brand replacement battery?" | In response to Reply # 5

Thu 18-Oct-12 01:16 PM

Spot on Brian, I did mean the EN-EL3e. This thread is in the D700 forum, but thanks for tidying up for me.

Best wishes,

Dave

Tinkers Realm

Pacific Wonderland!, US
266 posts

#7. "RE: Is it a bad idea to use a generic brand replacement battery?" | In response to Reply # 6

Tinkers Realm Registered since 24th Feb 2011
Thu 18-Oct-12 01:58 PM

I recently purchased a D700 body from an established local camera shop and it arrived with a generic battery. I did locate 2 new Nikon Batteries but paid 2 different prices for them.

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.

www.TinkersRealm.com

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3390 posts

#8. "RE: Is it a bad idea to use a generic brand replacement battery?" | In response to Reply # 7

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Thu 18-Oct-12 03:40 PM

Kelly - I sure hope that was a used body! I'd hate to think people are doing the switcheroo with new stuff. Alan in Waterloo

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

Leonard62

Pa, US
4419 posts

#9. "RE: Is it a bad idea to use a generic brand replacement battery?" | In response to Reply # 7

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Thu 18-Oct-12 04:03 PM

That's interesting Kelli. My local shop takes camera tradeins but do not accept the battery if it's generic.

Len

Leonard62

Pa, US
4419 posts

#10. "RE: Is it a bad idea to use a generic brand replacement battery?" | In response to Reply # 0

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Thu 18-Oct-12 04:15 PM

I don't think a generic battery will damage your camera but I would only buy a genuine Nikon battery. However if you must buy a generic be careful where you buy it from and if it's a respected battery maker. I would not buy from an ebay seller. Instead a reputable dealer like B&H is much preferred.

As Nikon comes out with new cameras and new batteries they are putting in chips which are recognized by the camera as a genuine Nikon or not. I haven't checked on the D800 or D600 camera batteries but I know that a generic battery will not work at all in the D3200. While this is not the case with the D700 battery it is something to think about in the future.

Len

cwils02

HIXSON, US
826 posts

#11. "RE: Is it a bad idea to use a generic brand replacement battery?" | In response to Reply # 0

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2012
Thu 18-Oct-12 07:39 PM | edited Fri 19-Oct-12 02:44 PM by cwils02

Here is what is purported to be a genuine Nikon battery from a reliable dealer for $43.95. Enjoy!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/409071-REG/Nikon_25334_EN_EL3e_Rechargeable_Lithium_Ion_Battery.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

Charlie

Tinkers Realm

Pacific Wonderland!, US
266 posts

#12. "RE: Is it a bad idea to use a generic brand replacement battery?" | In response to Reply # 9

Tinkers Realm Registered since 24th Feb 2011
Thu 18-Oct-12 10:08 PM

I was surprised too. It was from a family owned shop on the East Coast & they actually took the camera in from a customer on trade. The camera only had 2,000. acuations so I figured they must have stripped out the battery & shipped it out w/a less expensive one. I ordered 2 Nikon Batteries as soon as I noticed & figure if I ever sell the camera will ship it off w/the generic one-Stated in the listing of course-LOL!

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.

www.TinkersRealm.com

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

#13. "RE: Is it a bad idea to use a generic brand replacement battery?" | In response to Reply # 10

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Fri 19-Oct-12 12:38 PM | edited Fri 19-Oct-12 12:48 PM by gkaiseril

Ever see Li-ion battery fail?

Remember the cell phone battery and laptop battery recalls?

Know why Japan enacted a new law requiring redesign of Li-ion battery connections so they are protected from shorting out when not in a protective cover or device?

Review the airline rules rules on shipping large quantities of Li-ion batteries?

When the battery fails due to a short circuit or large power surge from the battery the battery becomes very hot and the Lithium can catch on fire!

From the EN-EL3 Battery Recall:

"Nikon Inc. is asking your cooperation in connection with a voluntary recall of certain lot numbers of its Nikon Model EN-EL3 rechargeable lithium ion battery packs. The battery pack can experience a short circuit causing it to overheat and possibly melt, posing a potential hazard to consumers. There have only been four confirmed reports of incidents of the problem worldwide, and while no injuries have taken place, ..."

This is not to say that all 3rd party batteries will fail in such a manner but if they do how will the manufacturer or retailer stand behind their product. Look over Nikon's recalls involving batteries and you will see a couple. The recall for the EN-EL3, original, was well after warranty expired for many, yet Nikon replaced the older out or warranty batteries for free and even supplied free shipping labels. Nikon does use proprietary circuity within its batteries. 3rd party batteries may or may not have a compatible circuity. Incompatible circuity in the battery will not allow to fully function in Nikon camera.

From the experiences of many here, 3rd party batteries do not provide as many shoots as Nikon battery does and might not last as long as a Nikon battery.

In the end the choice is yours. In a pinch, sure I would use a Duracell replacement, but I have a spare Nikon battery. When you look at the cost of the rechargeable batter over the life of the battery, the cost difference becomes very small.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

anikanahmed

London, UK
3 posts

#14. "RE: Is it a bad idea to use a generic brand replacement battery?" | In response to Reply # 3

Sat 20-Oct-12 02:27 PM

>~Thank you both for the response. Trouble is that I can't
>seem to locate an original online. Even Nikon EU is showing
>the battery as being out of stock.
>
>

I was worried after reading some of the amazon customer reviews where they stated its not an original. So confused1 I have looked at many US sites. Particularly B&H. THe battery is $43 and after shipping and taxes the site is quoting $142.

Daveecopping

Polegate, UK
191 posts

#15. "RE: Is it a bad idea to use a generic brand replacement battery?" | In response to Reply # 14

Sat 20-Oct-12 03:22 PM

Anika,

I refer you to replies 3 and 5. I swear the battery I purchased from Amazon UK is a genuine Nikon EN-EL3e. I just checked and they are most definitely in stock.

Dave

cwils02

HIXSON, US
826 posts

#16. "RE: Is it a bad idea to use a generic brand replacement battery?" | In response to Reply # 15

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2012
Sat 20-Oct-12 03:27 PM

> THe battery is $43 and after shipping and taxes the site is quoting > $142.

Yikes! Sorry, I ddn't realize that you were in the U.K.

Charlie

G