Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

GGS III Screen Protectors

jgould2

Fort Pierce, US
4584 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007
Wed 03-Oct-12 05:22 PM

Hi all.

Recently purchased GGS Screen Protectors for my D700, D300 and D3s. The fit on the D700 and D300 is perfect. I purchased the version 3 type which are a snap fit for the back of the camera and an adhesive fit for the top LCD. The fit on the D3s is a tad loose but I think it will stay on. The look of all three is perfect, you wouldn't even know they are not stock. The glass seems to clean just as well as the original screen does and the view through the screen protectors is indistinguishable from the original.

I would rate these screen protectors very highly and the price is quite reasonable. Compared to the old plastic ones I used to use there is no comparison, with the GGS Protectors being clear and easy to see through.

Just get them.

Here is a picture without the protector and one with the protector:
Note that my original screen has a couple of scratches and some dust fell while I was taking the second picture.

Click on image to view larger version

JIM

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18758 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#1. "RE: GGS III Screen Protectors" | In response to Reply # 0

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Wed 03-Oct-12 06:48 PM

Great product and glad I have it mounted on my D700. My plastic LCD cover was scratched up after a few weeks, annoying on a new camera.

I used a Nerf gun dart with a suction cup to properly align the top LCD screen, thought I guess it could be left off. I've never had difficulty with my top LCDs on my film cameras so I don't see why one would be needed on a DSLR.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

jgould2

Fort Pierce, US
4584 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#2. "RE: GGS III Screen Protectors" | In response to Reply # 1

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007
Thu 04-Oct-12 03:27 AM

Hi Anthony.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the product and your tip about alignment. I was disliking those plastic screen protectors so much I just stopped using them but my D700 screen got chipped in a couple of places and these are a lot cheaper than replacing the screen.

JIM

hillsidekim

Hillside, US
549 posts

#3. "RE: GGS III Screen Protectors" | In response to Reply # 1

hillsidekim Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jan 2008
Fri 05-Oct-12 10:46 PM

Great idea about the suction cup. I got one on crooked on my D700 and of course shattered it trying to get it off to reposition it and had to buy another. I'll remember that when I put one on another camera.
Kim
Western burbs of Chicago

espeto68

Oeiras, PT
475 posts

#4. "RE: GGS III Screen Protectors" | In response to Reply # 3

espeto68 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2010
Sun 07-Oct-12 05:22 AM

Hi,

Just put a "like GGS" lcd Vello cover on my D90 and D700. What a different look/protection they get. Much better than the plastic one.

José

Nikonians!!! My best investment made after my camera!!!

D700, D90, F80, F Photomic FTn

TDF

Southern California, US
9 posts

#5. "RE: GGS III Screen Protectors" | In response to Reply # 0

TDF Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jul 2009
Tue 09-Oct-12 07:37 PM

Thanks Jim! Great tip, I ordered one today from my favorite online store, only a few cents more than a Nikon BM-9 protector.

Doug

jgould2

Fort Pierce, US
4584 posts

#6. "RE: GGS III Screen Protectors" | In response to Reply # 5

Wed 10-Oct-12 01:07 PM

Hi Doug.

Be sure and post back after you try it out.

JIM

TDF

Southern California, US
9 posts

#7. "RE: GGS III Screen Protectors" | In response to Reply # 6

Wed 10-Oct-12 03:54 PM

Will do Jim!

Shy Talk

Port Glasgow, UK
652 posts

#8. "RE: GGS III Screen Protectors" | In response to Reply # 7

Shy Talk Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jun 2010
Fri 12-Oct-12 09:18 PM

I've got these on my 700 and 300s.

Excellent products.

my webpage is at http://www.scottishops.co.uk

my Nikonians gallery is here. https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/330319

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

TDF

Southern California, US
9 posts

#9. "RE: GGS III Screen Protectors" | In response to Reply # 6

Thu 18-Oct-12 05:26 PM

I received the new GGS III screen protector yesterday. It fits perfectly and the overall quality seems very good. Considering how thoroughly it was packaged I was surprised that there were a couple light scratches. They had peel-off protection on both sides and it was in a plastic box. The material appears harder than Nikon's screen protector, perhaps a filter resin?

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

jgould2

Fort Pierce, US
4584 posts

#10. "RE: GGS III Screen Protectors" | In response to Reply # 9

Mon 22-Oct-12 04:42 PM

Hi Doug.

Sorry to hear your protectors did not arrive in pristine condition. If mine had arrived in that condition, I would have sent them back for replacement.

JIM

Wingman

Kimberley, CA
1653 posts

#11. "RE: GGS III Screen Protectors" | In response to Reply # 10

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002
Mon 22-Oct-12 05:03 PM

What is the advantage of this "snap fit" over the older adhesive attachment which I'm happy with. How does it "snap fit" to the D3s, which did not have a plastic cover? Does this version fit as close to the LCD glass as the old version? Is the fit close enough to prevent dust and debris from getting trapped between the GGS and LCD cover?

Does the D300/700 version snap fit into the same slots as the OEM plastic version?

Sorry for all the questions. I want to buy a GGS cover for my D800 and want something I'll be as happy with as I am with my older ones.
Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

jgould2

Fort Pierce, US
4584 posts

#12. "RE: GGS III Screen Protectors" | In response to Reply # 11

Mon 22-Oct-12 05:24 PM

Hi Neal.

The D300/700 version snap fits into the same slots as the old plastic ones. The D3s snap fit uses the two slots below the viewfinder and as I mentioned feels a little looser than the D300/700 versions (but it did not fall off or allow dust in).

I just got back from the ANPAT in New Mexico which was filled with dusty condition shooting for 10 days. I removed the three new screen protectors and there was no dust on any of the three LCD screens.

The only possible advantage of the snap-fit over the adhesive version that I can think of is if moisture occurs on the camera LCD.

I am completely pleased with the three protector kits I purchased.

JIM

Wingman

Kimberley, CA
1653 posts

#13. "RE: GGS III Screen Protectors" | In response to Reply # 12

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002
Mon 22-Oct-12 05:36 PM

Thank you Jim -- I guess I'll give the new version a try on the D800.

Neal

mkmull77

Fond du Lac, US
129 posts

#14. "RE: GGS III Screen Protectors" | In response to Reply # 13

mkmull77 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2010
Wed 24-Oct-12 09:14 AM

I also have the adhesive backed version on my D700 and am vary pleased with with them on the top and rear LCD.

Mike

Vic Santoro

Pacific Palisades, US
5 posts

#15. "RE: GGS III Screen Protectors" | In response to Reply # 14

Vic Santoro Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Apr 2011
Wed 24-Oct-12 11:50 PM

Where can one purchase the GGS protectors?

Regards,

Vic Santoro

Wingman

Kimberley, CA
1653 posts

#16. "RE: GGS III Screen Protectors" | In response to Reply # 15

Thu 25-Oct-12 12:11 AM

I got mine from Amazon, as B and H does not seem to carry them. I think they are pretty widely available, though -- just Google them.

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

jgould2

Fort Pierce, US
4584 posts

#17. "RE: GGS III Screen Protectors" | In response to Reply # 15

Thu 25-Oct-12 12:14 AM

Hi Vic.

I got mine from Amazon as well.

JIM

colin1957

UK
50 posts

#18. "RE: GGS III Screen Protectors" | In response to Reply # 0

colin1957 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Feb 2009
Thu 25-Oct-12 10:03 AM

With so many recommendations for this screen protector I went ahead and ordered mine from Amazon UK (seller is Happy Sales UK); cost £7.94 including postage. It is certainly a quality product, fits well on my D700 and looks much better than the standard Nikon plastic cover. Images are sharp when viewed and light transmission is excellent with no detectable loss. The cover for the top LCD screen is an added bonus. I used a blob of white-tak pushed on to the cover's protective film as a handle to position the cover; removing the film after fitting also removed the white-tak with no mess. Great product and a real bargain.

G