Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 and spotmetering

decarrion

nijkerk, NL
79 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
decarrion Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2009
Tue 11-Sep-12 09:35 AM

Do i assume correctly when i set my D700 for spotmetering it uses the focus display point as the reference irrelevant if it's in the center of the viewfinder or not.

thank you from autumnlike Holland
DC

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.”

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Leonard62

Pa, US
4419 posts

#1. "RE: D700 and spotmetering" | In response to Reply # 0

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Tue 11-Sep-12 10:35 AM

That is correct.

You can easily check that by setting up your camera in a darkened room with a brighter light source in the frame off to the side. First with the camera in auto priority mode focus on some point in the room that's dark. Note the shutter speed. Then move the focus point, not the camera, to the bright area. You'll see the shutter speed jump up considerably when the focus square hits that bright area.

Len

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#2. "RE: D700 and spotmetering" | In response to Reply # 0

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Tue 11-Sep-12 03:39 PM

Adding to the previous reply - the Camera will center the spot metering circle on the active AF point - except when a non-CPU lens is fitted or when Auto-area AF is selected. In those circumstances the centre AF point is always used.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

decarrion

nijkerk, NL
79 posts

#3. "RE: D700 and spotmetering" | In response to Reply # 2

decarrion Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2009
Wed 12-Sep-12 04:25 AM

thank you both !

from sunny Holland
DC

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.”

G