Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New (to me) D700 Overexposing

cebert

Glencoe, US
292 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
cebert Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Feb 2010
Wed 05-Sep-12 03:18 PM

Good Morning Everyone...

I recently picked up a used D700 here on Nikonians. It has about 30,000 shots on it. It's very clean and appears to be in good working order. I used it last weekend for some outdoor sports and encountered a problem. It appears to be over exposing in Aperture Priority mode by about 1 stop. My first body is also a D700 and is spot on with exposure, but the new one is not. I check exposure compensation and that appears to be okay so I'm not really sure what's going on. Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards,
Chris

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
-Ansel Adams

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

GiantTristan

Stamford, US
2669 posts

#1. "RE: New (to me) D700 Overexposing" | In response to Reply # 0

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006
Wed 05-Sep-12 03:28 PM

I would try a reset to factory defaults.

Tristan

cebert

Glencoe, US
292 posts

#2. "RE: New (to me) D700 Overexposing" | In response to Reply # 0

Mon 10-Sep-12 12:49 AM

Okay, so I reset the entire camera's setting, did a cold restart and went through the entire shooting menu and custom settings menu. To this point the camera is still a little shaky. Would a good CLA be in order? Could this fix it? It seems to work okay in manual mode, but I really prefer to use aperture priority under day light conditions.

I'm at a loss as to what is causing my problems with the metering in the camera. It does appear to be happening across multiple lenses too.

The camera has only about 35,000 frames through it so I'm don't think it's high miles.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Chris

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
-Ansel Adams

jrp

San Pedro Garza GarcĂ­a, MX
38665 posts

#3. "RE: New (to me) D700 Overexposing" | In response to Reply # 2

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter Member
Mon 10-Sep-12 03:04 AM | edited Mon 10-Sep-12 03:18 AM by jrp

Check that the camera is not set to bracketing.
It happened to me by accident and I was going nuts until I wore my glasses and noticed the BKT icon in the Control Panel (window atop)

Click on image to view larger version

My Custom Setting e5 was set to Flash Only so it only happened when I shot with a speedlight.
I always had the first shot all washed out.

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Have a great time :-)
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Mainly at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story
Please join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members who help this happen; upgrade.
Check our workshops at the Nikonians Academy and the Nikonians Photo Pro Shop

cebert

Glencoe, US
292 posts

#4. "RE: New (to me) D700 Overexposing" | In response to Reply # 3

Mon 10-Sep-12 12:41 PM

Unfortunately I checked that too and it is not the problem. I think it might be time to send it in for a CLA. Maybe it just needs a good calibration.

Regards,
Chris

-Ansel Adams

nathantw

US
184 posts

#5. "RE: New (to me) D700 Overexposing" | In response to Reply # 0

nathantw Registered since 16th Jan 2008
Tue 11-Sep-12 09:23 PM | edited Tue 11-Sep-12 09:25 PM by nathantw

I'm a little late to the party, but here's my two cents. I complained heavily when I first purchased my D700 that it overexposed shots. Almost all my shots were overexposed and I had to use the exposure compensation to -.7 - -1.0 which I thought was ridiculous. I even went into the custom settings and made it permanent, but quickly took it off because my exposures were all over the map.

What I finally found out, after 2 years, is that if you shoot in Center Weighted metering instead of Matrix Metering you'll get the exposures you're looking for. Also if you set your ADR to low instead of auto you'll get "better" exposures.

For what it's worth I still can't get over how many exposures people have on their cameras. I've had my camera for 2 years and I'm pretty sure I'm still well under 15,000 exposures. I come from the film days where every shot counted since I only had a max of 12 or 36 exposures (depending on the camera being used).

Good luck and congrats on your new camera.

Also http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathantw/

Dallaspilot

Mandeville, US
318 posts

#6. "RE: New (to me) D700 Overexposing" | In response to Reply # 0

Dallaspilot Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Oct 2010
Wed 12-Sep-12 10:47 AM

You might check to see if you have the latest firmware, or upgrade -- you can get the firmware free at nikonusa.com. There was a D700 firmware release within the last year and one of the fixes addressed overexposure in some situations. However, I did not experience overexposure before or after on my D700, so this is just a suggestion.

Leonard62

Pa, US
4419 posts

#7. "RE: New (to me) D700 Overexposing" | In response to Reply # 5

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Wed 12-Sep-12 08:40 PM

>
>What I finally found out, after 2 years, is that if you shoot
>in Center Weighted metering instead of Matrix Metering you'll
>get the exposures you're looking for. Also if you set your ADR
>to low instead of auto you'll get "better"
>exposures.
>

I agree with using center weighed. I get better exposures and in a little test I just ran matrix was 1 stop over.

Len

winthrop

Thousand Oaks, US
295 posts

#8. "RE: New (to me) D700 Overexposing" | In response to Reply # 0

winthrop Silver Member Charter Member
Thu 13-Sep-12 06:29 AM

I wouldn't worry about it. Mine does the same thing. So if I'm going to use matrix metering I just underexpose by a stop or less.

Bob

visit my gallery

cebert

Glencoe, US
292 posts

#9. "RE: New (to me) D700 Overexposing" | In response to Reply # 0

Fri 14-Sep-12 12:13 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've checked each thing mentioned and when matched up with my other D700 it still shoots between +2/3 and +1. I called APS in Chicago and they said they can recalibrate it if I send it in for a CLA. I think that's what I'll do. My other D700 was in about 11 months ago and has been spot on since. I think it'd be worth the expense.

Typically I'd shoot M anyway (then it doesn't matter), but under daylight conditions where exposure changes constantly I have trouble keeping two cameras strait when double slinging.

Regards,
Chris

-Ansel Adams

G