Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 vs D300 vs D3 comparison posted

dalerne

30 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dalerne Registered since 22nd Jul 2003
Tue 01-Jul-08 11:04 AM

Hi,

Wow, I am in love with the D700 and I have not even handled one. There is a pretty detailed side by side comparison of the D700, D300 and the D3 at http://www.digitalreview.ca

Got to save my pennies and I will just have to tell the kids that the Disney World vacation is cancelled this year

A great time to be a Nikonian. Oh, and happy Canada Day to all the Canadians...

Cheers,

Leif

lovemy8514

Columbia, US
2419 posts

#1. "RE: D700 vs D300 vs D3 comparison posted" | In response to Reply # 0

lovemy8514 Registered since 05th Oct 2007
Tue 01-Jul-08 09:26 AM

Didn't realize it was Canada Day. Happy Canada Day everyone!

J a m e s
My Gallery

Using his camera as a pen, it is the photographer's job to tell a story: Each page authored in frozen moments of time.

All of my work is dedicated to my father, Terry Lee Geib (1943-2009)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

AgapeLight

Auburn, US
350 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#2. "RE: D700 vs D300 vs D3 comparison posted" | In response to Reply # 1

AgapeLight Silver Member Charter Member
Tue 01-Jul-08 09:50 AM

Well I just bought my D300 less than two weeks ago... I really do love the D300 but I could have had a little more time to enjoy having that body before the next one came out.

At first glance I thought it was basically a D300 with a FX sensor, but there are many subtle details that have been added to the D700 that make it a unique body. If I had a spare $3-$5k I think I would have to actually take a serious look at the D700 over the D3 before deciding between the two, course I don't, so I will enjoy my D300 for now.

OktoberSky

US
415 posts

#3. "RE: D700 vs D300 vs D3 comparison posted" | In response to Reply # 0

OktoberSky Registered since 21st Sep 2006
Tue 01-Jul-08 11:39 AM

Okay, well I'm probably not getting one since I have a D300 but I can look right? Just wondering why the D700 does not have a CF door lever? It's just going to open like my old D80? Is that "weather sealed"?
Just wondering...not that I'm getting one...I swear...lol.

~Cathy

roryw

Dublin, IE
57 posts

#4. "RE: D700 vs D300 vs D3 comparison posted" | In response to Reply # 0

roryw Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Aug 2007
Tue 01-Jul-08 09:23 PM

Good comparison of D300, D700 and D3

UK Website
http://www.graysofwestminster.co.uk/newsitem.php?id=232&pg=1&mem=&arc=0

IntegrityPhotos

Deerfield, US
1253 posts

#5. "RE: D700 vs D300 vs D3 comparison posted" | In response to Reply # 4

IntegrityPhotos Registered since 26th Apr 2006
Wed 02-Jul-08 09:22 PM

Minor discrepancies in this and other reviews regarding specifications and details. Stafford lists the D700 as only accepting CF Type I, while DPreview specs list both Type I and II. In checking the D700 brochure available from Nikon USA's website, it states "Compact Flash(Type I, compliant with UDMA)". Rob Galbraith's D700 description states: "A single CompactFlash Type I/II card slot is on the right side of the D700 body". Interesting if this is a change that's been made, or just a typo in the Nikon brochure. Lots of fun details to examine!

OldPhotos
"If everyone possesses some measure of this intangible quality called creativity, photography is unprecedented as an outlet for its expression." - Ansel Adams

ORork

Des Moines, US
4 posts

#6. "RE: D700 vs D300 vs D3 comparison posted" | In response to Reply # 5

ORork Registered since 10th Feb 2008
Fri 04-Jul-08 03:08 PM

Well I read the side by side comparison and I got to tell you. At twice the price of the D300, the D700 is no way twice the camera....

two hour lunch

US
156 posts

#7. "RE: D700 vs D300 vs D3 comparison posted" | In response to Reply # 6

two hour lunch Registered since 18th Sep 2004
Fri 04-Jul-08 04:30 PM

>Well I read the side by side comparison and I got to tell
>you. At twice the price of the D300, the D700 is no way twice
>the camera....

Twice the price? Yikes. I'm struggling with the decision of what to purchase to replace my ailing D70. Guess I can cross the D300 off the list. :-o

Two hour lunch
Lead me not into temptation; I can find it myself. Rita Mae Brown

tom976

US
9 posts

#8. "RE: D700 vs D300 vs D3 comparison posted" | In response to Reply # 6

tom976 Registered since 20th Apr 2008
Mon 14-Jul-08 12:29 AM

I totally agree, the new sensor in the d700 is cool, but at twice the price is certainly not twice the camera.

I'll stick with by beloved d300 for a few more years.

Photoworx

Melbourne, AU
38 posts

#9. "RE: D700 vs D300 vs D3 comparison posted" | In response to Reply # 8

Photoworx Registered since 28th Nov 2007
Mon 14-Jul-08 10:26 AM

I have a D300 and I'm very impressed with good lighting - but the D3 has far better IQ, and a much faster AF. I've used both cameras quite extensively.
I'll keep my D300 for backup, but the D700 with the new chip and it's AF system really is, for me, a pretty significant improvement in my pictures.
I'm first on my pro dealer's list, which gives me a couple of weeks to make up my mind. I was'nt swayed until I covered boxing last week - and used both D300 and D3. No comparison when it comes to getting THE picture.

Regards,

Derrick

Derrick den Hollander
www.photoworx.com.au

digital_newbie151

8 posts

#10. "RE: D700 vs D300 vs D3 comparison posted" | In response to Reply # 9

digital_newbie151 Registered since 03rd Apr 2007
Mon 14-Jul-08 03:03 PM

>I have a D300 and I'm very impressed with good lighting - but
>the D3 has far better IQ, and a much faster AF. I've used both
>cameras quite extensively.
>I'll keep my D300 for backup, but the D700 with the new chip
>and it's AF system really is, for me, a pretty significant
>improvement in my pictures.
>I'm first on my pro dealer's list, which gives me a couple of
>weeks to make up my mind. I was'nt swayed until I covered
>boxing last week - and used both D300 and D3. No comparison
>when it comes to getting THE picture.
>
>Regards,
>
>Derrick
>
So you're saying that you would go with the D3 if you had the chance to?
Angel

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1169 posts

#11. "RE: D700 vs D300 vs D3 comparison posted" | In response to Reply # 7

LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005
Mon 14-Jul-08 03:40 PM

Why would you cross the D300 off your list? For 90% of the photos taken by 90% of users, you won't notice a difference in image quality between the D300 and D700. Where the D700 will have a clear advantage in low light use. It will be an advance for a wedding photographer,for example.

the D300 is still a great camera. It didn't get worse in the last week or two.

Larry Miller, Potomac, MD
DF/D810
http://lmmillerphotography.smugmug.com/

Photoworx

Melbourne, AU
38 posts

#12. "RE: D700 vs D300 vs D3 comparison posted" | In response to Reply # 10

Photoworx Registered since 28th Nov 2007
Tue 15-Jul-08 05:00 AM

I'm saying I'd go with the D3 over the D700 if they were the same price - otherwise, I'm on the list for the D700.

Derrick den Hollander
www.photoworx.com.au

Hammam

Montreal, CA
503 posts

#13. "RE: D700 vs D300 vs D3 comparison posted" | In response to Reply # 6

Hammam Basic Member
Tue 15-Jul-08 08:10 AM

Do you know the cost of manufacturing an FX sensor compare to a DX sensor?

Anyway, the price is not just an objective value. It is also a subjective one. I really wanted the D3 because of the FX format and its high ISO performance. Plus the fact that now my lenses would be working at their true focal length. The joy of using my 85/1.4 like a 85 mm lens again! I didn't try and calculate if it was really worth that much more money than my D2X. That's the camera I wanted. Period. I also wanted the two new Nikon zooms, 14-24 and 24-70. To afford all that, I had to trade in all the camera equipment I had, including the D2X and a Hasselblad V system. Then, of course, the D3 was very big and heavy - especially with the 24-70 on - to go out with. So I traded in my D200 for the D300, which has many superior features, but I'm missing the high ISO performance when I go out. Now, they'r offering me the best of both world! Full frame AND small and light. Exactly what I want (Need? No. Want, yes.) So, if I can trade in my D300 for the D700 and some extra cash, I will do it. For me it's worth it. I will not make better pictures (well, I may at high ISO) but I'll be happier doing it. Is it worth double the price of the D300? Objectively, I don't know. Subjectively, yes. YMMMV

Hammam

Hammam

AgapeLight

Auburn, US
350 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#14. "RE: D700 vs D300 vs D3 comparison posted" | In response to Reply # 13

AgapeLight Silver Member Charter Member
Tue 15-Jul-08 09:24 AM

I have looked at the comparison between the D3 and D700 since they came out and I think I am going with the D700, and I really have a choice between either.

I went into my local Nikon dealer yesterday and they had a D3 for me to play around with and I asked them about going between the two and they just didn't know, not until they got one in their hands (they are getting 4 total on Aug 1).

What I found is and my running total of pluses and minuses (course this is purely subjective):

1. D700 has a self cleaning sensor unit, D3 does not (to me, needed)

2. D3 has dual CF slots, D700 does not (that is a cool feature)

3. D700 has monitor screen cover, D3 no (no biggie)

4. D3 has 100% viewfinder coverage, D700 has 95% (probably the biggest negative about the D700 to me, but I understand why)

5. D3 has 9-fps vs D300 8-fps (assuming grip, no biggie here, one single frame per second)

6. Shutter durability D3 300k vs D700 150k (never made it that high before trading a body in)

7. Voice memo on D3, none on D700 (to me, who cares)

8. Battery grip D3 built in, D700 buy (I love the built in grip)

9. Weight, D700 995g, D3 1,240g (for those of us in the U.S. who are mentally challenged at anything other than pounds, D700 just over 2 pounds, D3 just under 3 pounds, good difference)

10. Price D3-$5k, D700-$3k (big difference to me, if I go with the D700 I can get at least the 14-24 or 70-200 and still have change, so we are basically talking about extra glass, and really good glass at that)

11. Release Date / Asset value, D3-Aug 2007, D700-Aug 2008 (to me, constantly upgrade is a pain and expensive, I put this in there just because the D700 theoretically buys me a year of new development. When is the D4 out, January, June 09, September 09, who knows, but as soon as I buy it, it is sure to be on the way)

There were very minor differences not mentioned here because, to me, they didn't make a difference in my purchase decision.

So, if you add up all the pluses and minuses you get . It could go either way as the above is subjective. If I drop #11, the D3 has it by +1, so this is just my take on it.

I think I will probably take one of the 4 my local dealer gets and use both my D300/D700 combo. Now, if the new 70-200mm would just come out with the "N" coating that would be great (and make it more impossible to get).

Just my $.02...... Scott

----
Scott Fillmer scott.fillmer@gmail.com>
Blog - http://www.scottfillmer.com

1pt618

Sedgefield, UK
42 posts

#15. "RE: D700 vs D300 vs D3 comparison posted" | In response to Reply # 8

1pt618 Registered since 12th Apr 2007
Tue 15-Jul-08 11:22 AM

>I totally agree, the new sensor in the d700 is cool, but at
>twice the price is certainly not twice the camera.
>
>I'll stick with by beloved d300 for a few more years.

LOL, I was going to stick with the D200 for a good few years yet.. that was 18 months ago; I've since upgraded to the D300. It doesn't end!

mwhals

Winfield, US
1664 posts

#16. "RE: D700 vs D300 vs D3 comparison posted" | In response to Reply # 14

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004
Tue 15-Jul-08 11:23 AM

>3. D700 has monitor screen cover, D3 no (no biggie) >D700]

On number 3, I would give +0.5 or +1 to the D3, because it doesn't need to cover. It has extremely tough tempered glass for the screen and the D700 probably has the same screen as the D300. I personally hate the covers.

Taking a half point from the D700 and giving it to the D3 makes the difference a cool zero based on your point system. Eliminate number 11, and the D3 wins by +2.

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants. :)

peterm10

US
108 posts

#17. "RE: D700 vs D300 vs D3 comparison posted" | In response to Reply # 14

peterm10 Registered since 16th Feb 2008
Tue 15-Jul-08 01:35 PM

I have the D3 and am tempted to "downgrade" to the D700 for the smaller size body. However, one of my favorite things about the D3 is the fact that the battery seems to go on forever and I never have to worry about running out of power. Sure I could use the optional grip on the D700 to get equivalent battery power, but that defeats the purpose of getting the D700 for me...

Also, having two CF cards slots is nice, since sometimes I leave my CF card in my card reader by accident and with the D3 I always have the backup card in my camera.

I haven't experienced a big dust problem with my D3 and I do tend to change lenses often (I have Dust Aid and used it once or twice in several months and that has been enough, although I know other people have more of a dust issue).

Right now I am leaning toward keeping my D3 although having a smaller body sure would be nice (but then again I have the Sigma DP1 for when I really want to go small)....

Peter

RAJMiller

Boddelwyddan, UK
65 posts

#18. "RE: D700 vs D300 vs D3 comparison posted" | In response to Reply # 17

RAJMiller Gold Member Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 05th Jun 2006
Thu 17-Jul-08 03:30 PM

I have the D3 and D300 with MB-D10 - enough for now - so D700? forget it - wait for a D3X? Perhaps. - The race will stop somewhere or we will all be taking medium format with 35mm. !!!

"I take photos of what I like, If
someone else likes it - that's a bonus!"
Andy M

Nikon D800 etc More than enough.
My Gallery https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/useralbums.php

monteverde_org

Monteverde Cloud Forest, CR
1283 posts

#19. "RE: D700 vs D300 vs D3 - The race" | In response to Reply # 18

monteverde_org Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Nov 2007
Thu 17-Jul-08 08:21 PM | edited Thu 17-Jul-08 08:38 PM by monteverde_org

"The race will stop somewhere" - it's a basic marketing principle, you can sell your stuff to new buyers & sell new stuff to your actual customer base, Apple style.

The D700 price point is a clever move, Nikon will sell a ton of new glass to their DX customers acquiring it. That won't help the waiting lists with all these lens on back-order!

LAR860

US
10 posts

#20. "RE: D700 vs D300 vs D3 comparison posted" | In response to Reply # 8

LAR860 Registered since 10th Dec 2005
Fri 18-Jul-08 08:34 PM

Actually, it's not "twice" as expensive when comparing original body prices. The D300 went for $1800, the D700 will go for $3000. A better way to look at it is that the D700 is $2000 less than a D3--which I doubt many think the D3 is overpriced--and doesn't give up all that much to that fantastic camera. Loss of higher frame rates doesn't bother me, or the 5:4 crop. Gaining a full frame, excellent high ASA performance, and huge VF are all big pluses to me. The D700 is an incredible deal, and Nikon will a bazillion of them. I have a D200 and was about to commit to an 18-200 (yes, many say it's soft), but I'll hold out for a D700. I only wish I heard better things about the 24-120 FX lens.

G