Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Image (shutter?) count

Patrick28

Port Jervis, US
90 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Patrick28 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2010
Sat 22-Oct-11 05:57 PM

I read in an article that the program, EXIFTOOL includes the shutter count in its data. However, I only find IMAGE COUNT and that is listed with the lens data. Is this the same as the shutter count (which is not listed as such) or the number of images that lens has taken?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

#1. "RE: Image (shutter?) count" | In response to Reply # 0

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Sat 22-Oct-11 04:12 PM

It is the number of the electronic shutter actuations of the camera's shutter for everything, capturing an image, video, and cleaning. Nikon had a post that stated this count is for the technicians. Nikon also said it does not guarantee that it will not be reset through firm ware update, technical service, or other actions.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

TomCurious

Bay Area, US
2352 posts

#2. "RE: Image (shutter?) count" | In response to Reply # 0

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007
Sat 22-Oct-11 10:32 PM

Yes that's the same. Different viewers call this entry differently, i.e. in EXIF Viewer it's calleed "Camera Actuations", in Apple Preview it's called "Image Number". But it all means the same thing.

Please note that this is the number of times the shutter has been actuated (opened and closed). It may not be the same as the number of images taken with the camera. For example, every time you enter live view but don't take a picture, the shutter is actuated and this number is increased by one, even though there is no image.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

Patrick28

Port Jervis, US
90 posts

#3. "RE: Image (shutter?) count" | In response to Reply # 2

Patrick28 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2010
Sun 23-Oct-11 03:57 PM

Good response, Tom! Answered my question. Thanks!

I believe the D700 is rated at 150,000 "images."
Incidentally, the information presented in the program EXIFTOOL is exhaustive. Recommended.

. . . . patrick

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G