Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Walk around lens for D700

hdwin

US
57 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
hdwin Registered since 20th Dec 2007
Thu 04-Sep-08 12:38 AM | edited Thu 04-Sep-08 12:58 AM by hdwin

Whats the best mid zoom lens for just walking around? Already have a 24-70 but its a little large. Looking for good FX compatible vacation type lens. How about the AFS 24-85MM? Thanks

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#1. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 0

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Wed 03-Sep-08 10:58 PM

>Whats the best lens for just walking around? Already have a
>24-70 but looking for another lens.

I think a "walking around" lens needs to be really sharp and really lightweight. I have three favorites these days - the Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5, the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4, and the 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR. I pick one, put in on the camera, then walk away from everything else in the bag and shoot to my heart's content.

A personal favorite in a full range lens is the old Nikkor 28-200mm AF-D (no longer made - you can find good ones, used, real cheap). A close second is the new Tamron 28-300mm OS (VR) f/4.5-6.3 which is admittedly softer than the Nikkor. A long way third is the Nikkor 24-120mm VR unless you can find a sharp copy (they do exist!) in which case you've got the perfect combination of focal range, VR and good build quality. When I'm out for a walk around the neighborhood or visiting relatives or something casual, I'll grab one of these three.

A lot of people have been digging out their old Nikkor 28-105mm zooms (no longer made - you can find good ones, used, real cheap) from their film days. It turns out that my own copy is really sharp and quite versatile on my own D700. I use the newer stuff though (first paragraph, or the Tamron or the Nikkor 24-120) most often because the newer optical formulas help to produce images that look better to me.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Pugzilla

Boca Raton, US
220 posts

#2. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 0

Pugzilla Registered since 05th Aug 2008
Wed 03-Sep-08 10:59 PM

Instead of...or in addition to? If you don't mind the weight, it's the best one (zoom category) I can think of - and the one I use.

Walter

f/8 and be there?...but I'm moving as fast as I can...I'm up to f/4 already!

wilbeck

Columbia, US
1 posts

#3. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 1

wilbeck Registered since 29th Aug 2007
Wed 03-Sep-08 11:06 PM

Boy, do I ever want a D700. My favorite "walk-around lens for my D300 is the 16-85mm VR Nikkor. Please help me not buy a D700.

Pugzilla

Boca Raton, US
220 posts

#4. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 0

Pugzilla Registered since 05th Aug 2008
Wed 03-Sep-08 11:07 PM

...and if one goes by Howard's criteria (sharp and light), I would forsake the zooms and stick with a prime 35, 50 or 85mm lens, depending on your image-taking preferences. Here, I would use my 50 f/1.4 first, then the 35 f/2 or the 85 f/1.8.

Walter

f/8 and be there?...but I'm moving as fast as I can...I'm up to f/4 already!

danamc

Framingham, US
596 posts

#5. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 0

danamc Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Wed 03-Sep-08 11:32 PM | edited Wed 03-Sep-08 11:35 PM by danamc

I find the Tamron SP 24-135mm f:3.5-5.8 Macro to fill the bill for me as a walk-around lens. Sharp and light to boot. The D700s motor really snaps this lens into focus. See here:

http://www.nikond700.com/nikon-d700-review/lens-recommendations-3rd-party/

hades

Porto Alegre, BR
124 posts

#6. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 5

hades Registered since 14th Oct 2007
Thu 04-Sep-08 12:06 AM

50mm f/1.4 is my walk around lens for the D700! It's great, very light and good for most pictures. If the composition is not good then just take a few steps back or forward and you're good!

The 18-35 sounds like a good choice, but I can't comment on that one.

On Nikon's website you can check the weight and dimensions for all lenses.

Luis

Luis Balbinot
http://luisbalbinot.com/

hwdx347

Maumelle, US
6273 posts

#7. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 0

hwdx347 Basic Member
Thu 04-Sep-08 03:49 PM

Nikon 35-70 f2.8D -- a classic.

Hedley
Originally from Merthyr Tydfil, Wales -- now in Arkansas

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

PeteG

US
106 posts

#8. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 5

PeteG Registered since 06th Jun 2008
Thu 04-Sep-08 06:22 PM

>I find the Tamron SP 24-135mm f:3.5-5.8 Macro to fill the
>bill for me as a walk-around lens. Sharp and light to boot.
>The D700s motor really snaps this lens into focus. See here:
>
>http://www.nikond700.com/nikon-d700-review/lens-recommendations-3rd-party/
I second the recommendation of the Tamron 24-135mm. Glad I kept it from my film daze...

NW Digital

US
16 posts

#9. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 0

NW Digital Registered since 20th Nov 2007
Fri 05-Sep-08 12:43 AM

I recently purchased the D700 (my previous cameras were the D100 and D200). My favorite walking around lens: the 24-120. It is not too large and works in most instances - walking around the neighborhood or a day at Crater Lake (OR). A great combo. On the D200 my choice is the 18-200 mm DX/VR. BTW - my D700 ... Loving it!

NW Digital

sambo700

AU
27 posts

#10. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 1

sambo700 Registered since 10th Aug 2008
Fri 05-Sep-08 03:25 AM

now my d700 has arrived, i've just pulled my old faithful 35-70mm 2.8D out again, it's been gathering dust ever since i put the F5 away in favour of a D-70. it's fine for "general" snapping and i'd actually forgotten just how sharp it is (ok, well the new UV filter certainly helped).

if you don't mind the extra weight, how about a 24mm, 35-70 and one of the 70-300's. thats a pretty good range of glass.

i really don't like super-zooms (28-300 o.O, there's a tamron one of these in the office and i DETEST the revolting thing) the optical quality just isn't up to snuff.

imho, there's no point buying a super high-res camera like a d700 then bolting something the optical equivalent of a coke bottle onto it.

Photo_Art_W

US
986 posts

#11. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 0

Photo_Art_W Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Nov 2005
Fri 05-Sep-08 05:45 AM

Don't forget the Nikon 28-105 AF D
I recently commandeered my better-half's old Nikon 28-105 lens that has been sitting idle for awhile on her N80 (she prefers the compact digital P&S now) to use with the D700. It's a very nice lens, good overall optical quality, fairly compact, well built, and also has a macro feature. A nice combination of reach & speed.

My favorite walk-around lens, the Nikon 18-200 VR will be going up for sale unfortunately now that I have a FX (main) body now. To replace it, I just picked up a new coke bottle, oops, sorry, I mean a Tamron 28-300 VC lens to try out. It's got some decent reviews, and yes it is noisy with the VC on - just got it today.
I've got an old 28-200 XR lens that I used to to use occasionally with my previous N90S, and current F100 body, and it took some very nice images on film. Will try it on the D700 too. Hopefully this new 28-300 will be as good or better than that lens. If so, I'll be happy with it.

I also own the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR lens and it's great. But I just don't feel its reach is enough for what I'd consider a walk-around zoom, IMHO.

A "walk-around zoom" IMO, is a single lens you attach to your body to "walk-around" with, when you don't want to carry a bag with other lenses & stuff. Just the camera, lens, and strap around your neck.

Art

http://www.artsplace.us

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#12. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 11

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Fri 05-Sep-08 10:05 AM

>My favorite walk-around lens, the Nikon 18-200 VR will be
>going up for sale unfortunately now that I have a FX (main)
>body now. To replace it, I just picked up a new coke bottle,
>oops, sorry, I mean a Tamron 28-300 VC lens to try out. It's
>got some decent reviews, and yes it is noisy with the VC on -
>just got it today.

Despite Sambo700's "coke bottle" comment I like the Tamron 28-300 VC as well. It's not a go-to lens for high-end work by any means, but works perfectly for your definition of a walk-around lens (body and lens on a strap over the shoulder, no bag, no other gear) and for some odd reason keeps giving me sharp, well balanced results.

Hmmm . . . must be a decent lens after all.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Photo_Art_W

US
986 posts

#13. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 12

Photo_Art_W Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Nov 2005
Fri 05-Sep-08 05:25 PM

Yea, I was just making fun of "sambo700"s comment. Good to hear some more positive remarks about the lens though. Can't wait to get some time with it this weekend. I've been a Tamron fan for quite awhile and own several. Pleased with every one that I've bought.

Lenses of extreme zoom range are not my go-to lens either. But for times when you're shooting casual stuff they fit the bill perfectly.

Am not sure if Nikon will ever introduce a comparable all in one zoom (like the 18-200 VR is for the DX) for the FX bodies or not.

But I do like that old 28-105 Nikon lens...

Art

http://www.artsplace.us

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#14. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 13

Fri 05-Sep-08 10:32 PM

>Lenses of extreme zoom range are not my go-to lens either. But
>for times when you're shooting casual stuff they fit the bill
>perfectly.
>
>Am not sure if Nikon will ever introduce a comparable all in
>one zoom (like the 18-200 VR is for the DX) for the FX bodies
>or not.
>
>But I do like that old 28-105 Nikon lens...

Nikon already has the specs, optical formulations and bill of materials for both the old 28-200 AF (still an okay walking around lens for FX) and the newer 24-120 VR (most copies of which are just too soft - not even up to the quality of the Tamron 28-300 VC). So I think when Nikon's lens designers/engineer are doodling with new product ideas and design schedules, we could hope for a 24-200mm f/3.5-4.5 AF-S ED G VR with optical quality on par with the 70-300mm VR. Such a lens would go on either my D3 or D700, outdoors, and rarely come off.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

osfield

Glenrowan, AU
82 posts

#15. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 11

osfield Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Sep 2008
Sat 06-Sep-08 05:07 AM

Let us know what you think of the Tamron 28-300 as am considering buying it in next week. Thanks.

cnclowery

US
14 posts

#16. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 0

cnclowery Registered since 26th Jul 2008
Sat 06-Sep-08 04:15 PM

Couldn't agree more with you re the 24-70mm: optics unsurpassed, but it's a serious hunk of glass to carry around all day without purpose! When I got my 700 I went whole hog and in addition to the 24-70 I got the 70-200 2.8 and the 14-24mm 2.8, and absolutely love them all. But after a couple of weeks, and despite all the negative reviews, I went out and got the 24-85mm 2.8-4.0. Either my eyesight is going, or I got lucky, but I have absolutely not been disappointed -- AND I never think twice about carrying it all day and snapping away!

hdwin

US
57 posts

#17. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 16

hdwin Registered since 20th Dec 2007
Sat 06-Sep-08 05:21 PM

>Couldn't agree more with you re the 24-70mm: optics
>unsurpassed, but it's a serious hunk of glass to carry around
>all day without purpose! When I got my 700 I went whole hog
>and in addition to the 24-70 I got the 70-200 2.8 and the
>14-24mm 2.8, and absolutely love them all. But after a couple
>of weeks, and despite all the negative reviews, I went out and
>got the 24-85mm 2.8-4.0. Either my eyesight is going, or I
>got lucky, but I have absolutely not been disappointed -- AND
>I never think twice about carrying it all day and snapping
>away!

AF or AF-S?

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#18. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 17

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Sat 06-Sep-08 06:01 PM

>AF or AF-S?

The f/2.8-4 version referred to is AF. The AF-S version is f/3.5-4.5.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

PeteG

US
106 posts

#19. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 15

PeteG Registered since 06th Jun 2008
Mon 08-Sep-08 12:58 PM

>Let us know what you think of the Tamron 28-300 as am
>considering buying it in next week. Thanks.

I'm going on a Tamron event to try all of their lenses on 9/21. If you can wait that long I'll give you my impression on 28-300mm. I have heard that it is noisy, and a bit slow to focus.

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#20. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 15

Mon 08-Sep-08 02:02 PM

>Let us know what you think of the Tamron 28-300 as am
>considering buying it in next week. Thanks.

I've been using the 28-300 VC for about 3 weeks. I've made about 400 shots with it and the results are good.

The lens thrives in average-to-good light. In low light - outdoors just after sunset, indoors in standard room lighting, etc., this lens on the D700 tends to hunt quite a bit, so it's best to use manual focus. The lens does not have an AF/MF feature which allows you to simply grab the focus ring and sort things out - you have to switch to manual focus mode if you're having problems in low light. My feeling is that the lens is somewhat slow to begin with (f/4.5-6.3) which means the viewfinder is not going to be very bright in low light which means that even manual focusing can be problematic. It's just not a low light lens.

Zooming initially felt somewhat rough, but the lens seems to have 'broken in' after the first 200-250 shots and now feels smoother - smooth enough to call it accurate actually and I'm pleased with it.

Focus speed is average, in my opinion, for a lens with this zoom range - I estimate about 25-50% slower than the Nikkor 18-200 VR. It's not bad at all in practice and despite the claims of some critics the lens can capture (slower) action quite easily - it obviously depends more on your shutter speed and lack of fear about shooting the D700 above ISO1600.

Image quality is surprisingly good. The lens is very sharp throughout its zoom range, with VC on or off. Even the corners are sharp between 35-275mm. Distortion is noticeably present at 28mm and 300mm. Most of the distortion is well-controlled which means it's easy to correct in most good photo editing software. For most shots, cropping is usually simplest distortion fix. It shows little or no CA at most apertures and focal lengths.

The build quality is good. Tamron's XR Di series is well made. The lens feels solid and has enough weight to help stabilize focusing. However, the lens is not heavyweight pro beast by any means and is very easy to use all day long. The mounting ring is steel, finishing is good, and lock-up is tight. The VC control is single-mode, however Tamron's normal mode for this lens is 3-way: up/down, left/right, and diagonal. So Tamron has incorporated a state-of-the-camera-art motion sensor/compensator. There's lock switch to keep the lens from creeping during normal carry on a strap, which is useful because the weight of all the internal lens elements can pull down the barrel while you're walking.

The lens uses 67mm filters. The hood is a petal shape and fairly short to accommodate the 28mm end of the range.

All in all, I think it's a good lens. I think anyone who take some time to familiarize themselves with this lens will end up getting consistently fine shots with it for many, many years. Basically, if you never tell anyone looking at your best shots that they were made with this Tamron, nobody will ever think you're shooting with anything but a perfectly good lens.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Islander808

HI, US
26 posts

#21. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 20

Islander808 Registered since 06th Aug 2008
Tue 09-Sep-08 12:18 AM

Ditto Howard's review of the new Tamron 28-300 VC. Testing it now on D700. I've seen exactly same results & performance Howard outlines. I've always been die hard Nikkor, but the is a very decent lens for what it is, especially at the price.

Chuck

hkeynes

Guildford, UK
127 posts

#22. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 21

hkeynes Registered since 06th Apr 2006
Tue 09-Sep-08 05:19 PM

Has anyone used the Tamron 28-80mm f3.5/5.6 on a D700? i was offered one the other day but would like to know what sort of lens it is before i take it. i see its only £60 on jessops web site

thanks

my Nikonians gallery
http://nonamesleft.jalbum.net/

brad_nikon

84 posts

#23. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 18

brad_nikon Registered since 18th Oct 2003
Tue 09-Sep-08 06:05 PM

I have had no problems hand-holding the D700 with the 24-70, but whenever I lift the camera and lens out the camera bag, the weight reminds me of picking up several heavy bricks...or perhaps a bag of sugar.

Also, while walking around with the D700 and 24-70 on a neck strap, the weight of the camera and lens feels pretty heavy on my chest.

westside_guy

UM
118 posts

#24. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 0

westside_guy Registered since 15th Dec 2007
Wed 10-Sep-08 11:19 PM | edited Wed 10-Sep-08 11:21 PM by westside_guy

I am happy with the quality of my Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 AF-S. I've toyed with getting the new Sigma 50mm f/1.4; but the D700's high ISO performance is so good that I don't feel like I'm sacrificing much to shoot in auto ISO mode, even up to 3200 or higher. That Sigma might make for some amazing available darkness shots, though - I may have to get it.

I'm also quite happy with the 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 AF. I bought mine used from KEH. I was vacillating between the 20mm prime and this lens, and ended up going with the zoom. The weight difference isn't all that much.

Main thing to remember about these sorts of lenses, IMO, is to set them a stop or two below the maximum aperture - especially in those instances where corner sharpness matters.

FWIW I'd love to see a reworked 24-120 VR - if Nikon could resolve the quality control issues that plague the existing version, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.

Hammam

Montreal, CA
503 posts

#25. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 24

Hammam Basic Member
Sun 14-Sep-08 11:45 AM | edited Sun 14-Sep-08 11:35 PM by Hammam

Walk around lens with the D700? Nikon 35/2. Or better still, 28/2 AI. Zoom with your feet. Focus with your hand.

OT: for REAL b&w, FM2n plus 28/2 AI plus a yellow filter plus a roll of Tri-X plus Xtol. Can't beat that. Digital has made me lazy, and I hardly do it anymore. Shame.

Hammam

JeffR

Palo Alto, US
22 posts

#26. "Me Too" | In response to Reply # 12

JeffR Registered since 06th Feb 2008
Sun 14-Sep-08 01:30 PM

My wife and I both have D700s. I rented the Nikon 70-200 for a
weekend and we did comparison shots. Because the Tamron 28-300
is so much lighter, we felt the hand-held shots were actually
sharper. The 28-300 has a little difficulity focusing in very
low light. Otherwise, we love it and both use one as a
"vacation" / "walk-around" lens.

Jeff

heus

NL
6 posts

#27. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 16

heus Registered since 29th Aug 2008
Mon 15-Sep-08 07:13 PM

I was lugging around the 14-24mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm, TC17E, 50mm, 105mm micro, sturdy tripod, batteries, etc in the Adirondacks this weekend. Working out of the trunk of the car is OK, hiking 7 miles to the summit is not. It was a good work out, but I'll not do it again.

What do I have to show for it? Could have left everything at home, and just brought my 1983 105mm MF mciro nikkor. http://photos.photosig.com/photos/03/95/2229503-48260267b242c105.jpg

Alche

CZ
4 posts

#28. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 18

Alche Registered since 15th Sep 2008
Mon 15-Sep-08 10:37 PM

>>AF or AF-S?
>
>The f/2.8-4 version referred to is AF. The AF-S version is
>f/3.5-4.5.
>
I was using this 24-85 mm/f2.8-4.0 on my D200 as standard lens for long time and now it is sitting all time on D300. On D700 the difference from 24-70mm/f2.8 are visible but not terribl ) so I thing that this compact zoom is good choice for all day walks.

Alche

danamc

Framingham, US
596 posts

#29. "RE: Me Too" | In response to Reply # 26

danamc Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Mon 15-Sep-08 11:40 PM

>My wife and I both have D700s. I rented the Nikon 70-200 for
>a weekend and we did comparison shots. Because the Tamron
>28-300 is so much lighter, we felt the hand-held shots were
>actually sharper. The 28-300 has a little difficulity focusing
>in very low light. Otherwise, we love it and both use one as a
>"vacation" / "walk-around" lens.
>
>Jeff

PLEASE turn off the blue.

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#30. "RE: Me Too" | In response to Reply # 29

johno Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd May 2006
Tue 16-Sep-08 12:13 PM

I'll also nominate the 28-105. Heck of a lens on a D700.

I tried the Tammy 28-300 and sent it right back. Build quality is on par or better than Nikon's 18-200, but the lens did not "feel" right to me. I found focusing to be noisy, and it hunted in good light. Also, the AF on button will not activate VC, which may be a minor point. As soon as I got the lens, and tried it, I didn't feel like using it any more. My 28 to 105 seemed like a better walk-around lens to me. At a fraction of the cost. My complaint about the 28-300 is very subjective.

phydock

elizabeth, US
6 posts

#31. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 5

phydock Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005
Sat 31-Jan-09 11:10 AM

I too use the Tamron 24-135 with my brand-new D700. It is a great
walk-around combination. I had it with my N70. I'm glad i kept it.

phydock

migpower

Cartaxo, PT
598 posts

#32. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 24

migpower Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning a Nikonians Annual Photo Contest Registered since 18th Jul 2004
Sat 31-Jan-09 10:11 PM | edited Sat 31-Jan-09 10:11 PM by migpower

Walk around lens.
The Nikkor 24-120 VR.

As soon as you get it, spend 15 min on AF finetune at 70 and 120mm.
It will be a complete different lens!! It get's sharp!!

MF. 35/1.4 or 45/2.8-50/1.8

S, S Brass, S2,S2 BD, F, F Black, FTn, F36, F250 Black, F2 Black, F2A, F2AS Black, F3/T Champagne, F3/T Black, F3P, FG Black, F4e, F5, D2H, D200... Two Bessa R2S NHS!

Others take pictures, Nikon takes Life with you!

Remember, the World is Analog!!!

My Nikonians Gallery
My Flickr Gallery

jos van zetten

Amsterdam, NL
30 posts

#33. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 32

jos van zetten Registered since 05th Sep 2007
Sat 31-Jan-09 10:36 PM

I got the 24-70 2.8, and had the 24-85 as a walk around lens because the 24-70 is a big heavy lens. In combination with the D700 + MB-D10 it's a lot of weight.
But i never took the 24-85 with me because the 24-70 is such a perfect lens, i don't mind to carry this heavy combination.

I sold the 24-85mm.

robsb

San Jose, US
14841 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#34. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 0

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Sun 01-Feb-09 01:11 AM

Try the 35-70 f/2.8 AFD. It is much lighter than the 24-70, very sharp and also has a quasi macro mode that lets you get really close. It is the most used lens in my collection.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

robsb

San Jose, US
14841 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#35. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 10

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Sun 01-Feb-09 01:13 AM

Sam you should not use a UV filter on a digital camera.Nikon recommends a clear filter.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

Rohinton_Mehta

Mumbai, IN
530 posts

#36. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 35

Rohinton_Mehta Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2002
Sun 01-Feb-09 03:04 AM

>Sam you should not use a UV filter on a digital camera.Nikon
>recommends a clear filter.

Robert, what would happen if one uses a UV filter on a digital camera? Since digital camera sensors are not affected by UV, may be there is no advantage to using a UV filter. My question is, will there be any negative effect if one uses a UV filter instead of the recommended clear filter? Thanks in advance.

Rohinton

RufusB43

Hagerstown, US
252 posts

#37. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 1

RufusB43 Registered since 19th Jan 2009
Wed 04-Feb-09 12:35 AM

I have all three of these Nikkor lenses... the 18-35, the 28-105 and the 70-300. I love them all, but tend to use the 28-105 as my "walk around", primarily because of the "macro" function. This lens is very sharp, well built, and can focus very close in macro. Having said that, I do love the 18-35 for wide shots. It is REALLY wide on the 700 (as compared to my old D 100). I find the 70-300 to be just a bit heavy for a walk around. After a few hours with this around my neck, I begin to feel the strain. Enjoy!
Ron

RufusB43

Hagerstown, US
252 posts

#38. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 3

RufusB43 Registered since 19th Jan 2009
Wed 04-Feb-09 10:47 PM

Ah, go ahead and buy it. You know you want to. You'll be sorry if you don't!
Ron

D_100

NL
308 posts

#39. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 36

D_100 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Thu 05-Feb-09 04:34 PM

>>Sam you should not use a UV filter on a digital
>camera.Nikon
>>recommends a clear filter.
>
>Robert, what would happen if one uses a UV filter on a digital
>camera? Since digital camera sensors are not affected by UV,
>may be there is no advantage to using a UV filter. My question
>is, will there be any negative effect if one uses a UV filter
>instead of the recommended clear filter? Thanks in advance.

Hi Sam,

I found this article it might be useful to you.

http://photo.net/equipment/filters/

Dutch Nikonian
Shoot everything without bullets.

Music was my first love,photography my last.

www.arthurbender.nl

Rohinton_Mehta

Mumbai, IN
530 posts

#40. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 39

Rohinton_Mehta Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2002
Thu 05-Feb-09 11:46 PM | edited Thu 05-Feb-09 11:47 PM by Rohinton_Mehta

Thanks. The article on UV filters on photo.net was very useful.

Rohinton

edoruan

New York, US
724 posts

#41. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 0

edoruan Basic Member
Fri 06-Feb-09 12:13 AM

>Whats the best mid zoom lens for just walking around?
>Already have a 24-70 but its a little large. Looking for good
>FX compatible vacation type lens. How about the AFS 24-85MM?
>Thanks

I own the Nikon 24-85 f/2.8-4. I talk about its pros and cons in my post "Compatibility."

Edo

avigar

Northern IL, US
523 posts

#42. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 41

avigar Registered since 29th Nov 2006
Fri 06-Feb-09 05:50 AM

I'm considering pairing the D700 with a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 Di lens. It weighs 18oz. according to Tamron's site. The lens is fast and light enough to be used all day. I also like the versatility of having a zoom rather than prime.

Anyone have thoughts on this walkaround combo?

jtzim

Prince George, CA
153 posts

#43. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 0

jtzim Basic Member
Fri 06-Feb-09 05:53 AM

Another vote for the 28-105 although I have to admit that I've been spoiled by the construction quality of the 17-55 on my D200. Now that I've upgraded to the D700 I'm still trying to decide whether or not to pull the trigger on the 24-70. In the meantime the 28-105 has been a good bridge lens. The 50 f/1.4 has seen a lot more use too.

Ted Zimmerman

My Website

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

#44. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 36

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Fri 06-Feb-09 11:53 AM | edited Fri 06-Feb-09 11:53 AM by gkaiseril

Depending on the quality of the filter coating, there could be some IQ and focusing problems. But any flat filter can add glare to the image and adds another element for light to reflect off.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

dld542004

US
2 posts

#45. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 42

dld542004 Registered since 17th Jan 2009
Tue 10-Feb-09 05:26 PM

I enjoy using the Tamron 28-75 as my walkaround lens.

kawhona

Scottsdale, US
76 posts

#46. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 43

kawhona Registered since 14th Feb 2009
Mon 02-Mar-09 10:31 PM

I use the 18-35mm and the 35-70mm lens both on my D700. Yes the 35-70mm might be a little heavy but, it is what you are used to I guess. The 18-35mm is not pro quality but, I still have taken many decent shots with it over the years. Since neither is made anymore you can get both for cheap used.

rnvanya

Pasadena, US
403 posts

#47. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 0

rnvanya Registered since 07th Jan 2008
Mon 02-Mar-09 11:14 PM

I use the Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4 as my general purpose lens, and it is ideal. It's lightweight, compact, and has a very useful focal range. Pix are always tack sharp, the bokeh is always creamy smooth (9-bladed diaphragm). The icing on the cake is the great macro feature. Minimum focusing distance in macro mode is about 3 inches, even at 85mm. And f/4 is fast on a D700 (King of high ISO shooting).

RNV

rwcooke88

Lafayette, US
9 posts

#48. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 0

rwcooke88 Registered since 21st Feb 2009
Tue 03-Mar-09 01:50 AM

>Whats the best mid zoom lens for just walking around?
>Already have a 24-70 but its a little large. Looking for good
>FX compatible vacation type lens. How about the AFS 24-85MM?
>Thanks

I guess I am the oddball out here. My thought when I read this was, 'what's the point in having such a great piece of glass as the 24-70 and not using it?' It is my lens of choice for walking around. I put up the with weight and most of the time I am so engrossed in what I am doing I don't even notice it.

luscious glass

US
13 posts

#49. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 0

luscious glass Registered since 25th Feb 2009
Tue 03-Mar-09 02:06 AM

I can't imagine why you would even consider fooling with this unbeatable combo. Lose the bag and any OTHER dead weight you might be carrying. You have the Brangelina of body/lens pairings.

geneluck

Reading, UK
3177 posts

#50. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 43

geneluck Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2004
Thu 16-Jul-09 06:32 PM | edited Thu 16-Jul-09 06:38 PM by geneluck

Hi Ted,
I also use the 28-105 as a walk around lens and as far as I am concerned, it performs very well on the D700. I used it already on the D200 and I liked it then especially because it had macro facility. I eventually used the 18-200 as my walk around lens when I could not take the 17-55 which I loved.
I got the 24-70 recently and it is indeed incredibly sharp : this is probably the difference I notice most. But the size of the lens for me does not balance so well on the D700, compared to the 17-55 on the D200.The lens is very long and the sun shade is almost grottesque in size. I keep using both the 24-70 and the 28-105 depending on my traveling conditions and hope that Nikon will come up with a similar lens with VR and maybe a constant f4 aperture in the future.
Maybe you should go to a shop and try the 24-70 first especially to have a feel for the size, although many people on these forums do not seem to find that a problem.
Jean-luc

Jean-luc

Visit my travel website at http://www.jlpepin.com

rmsphoto2009

Toronto, CA
156 posts

#51. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 0

rmsphoto2009 Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2009
Sun 19-Jul-09 10:24 PM

I've had the Nikon 28-105mm from my F100 days, and now it works equally well on the D700. Weight and range are very good for walking around. Quite flexible and also provides a 1:2 macro function. At the same time, I'm always drawn to my 50 f/1.8D as it is super light and super sharp. I really enjoy the 50mm lens, but the versatility of the 28-105mm cannot be discounted.

I still think about getting 24-70mm for the speed and sharpness though...

Ralph.

broward

US
5 posts

#52. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 36

broward Registered since 29th May 2009
Wed 22-Jul-09 03:53 PM

I have the Nikon clear filter on two of my lenses and a UV on another, the 18-200, I use with my D200. I don't see any difference whether it's a UV filter or not. All my lenses make sharp images.
Doug

broward

US
5 posts

#53. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 0

broward Registered since 29th May 2009
Wed 22-Jul-09 03:54 PM

The walk around lens I got to use with my D700 is the 85 1.8.
Doug

Donald Kahn

US
266 posts

#54. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 48

Donald Kahn Registered since 16th May 2009
Wed 22-Jul-09 11:04 PM

We recently toured the southeast and then ended up in New York City. I bought the 24-70 so that I would have it for this trip, and I really, really like it, but I was also very happy to have my old 28-105 from my F100 for the walking day in New York. To each his own, and maybe I should have just carried the 24-70, but it is a large, heavy lens, and if you're not planning on getting the "picture of your life time," (and who knows when that one will appear in your view finder),then maybe it makes more sense to carry a lighter, more versatile lens. There is no right answer, but I got a lot of nice shots.

Ground Zero attached.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

bastion999

Cumming, US
60 posts

#55. "RE: Me Too" | In response to Reply # 29

bastion999 Registered since 29th Oct 2004
Thu 23-Jul-09 09:31 AM

Side note, is there an easy way to change the color scheme to black on white?

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4954 posts

#56. "RE: Me Too" | In response to Reply # 55

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Thu 23-Jul-09 10:02 AM

Within Your Profile there is a preferences section that, last time I checked, had "white on black" (Nikonians Classic) and the newer color scheme of "Black on white".

Best regards, SteveK
My Nikonians gallery
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4954 posts

#57. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 54

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Thu 23-Jul-09 10:28 AM | edited Thu 23-Jul-09 10:35 AM by KnightPhoto

I think Donald may be on to something here - there is no single always-right answer?

I am a 28-105 owner aspiring to the 24-70. If (hopefully when ) I finally do obtain the big 24-70 pro glass, I will keep the 28-105 for use in dangerous situations (e.g. skiing, ocean waves, etc.) and also for those times when I do want to go one-lens and very light. This is an easy decision when one of the lenses costs me a whopping $169.00!

I also like what Luscious Glass indicated as well, for a day of walk-about I almost always carry the camera out in the open and lose the bag in favour of cramming a one or two additional items in my cargo-pants (or cargo-shorts) and zip around with minimum fuss. Hopefully when my light two-lens combo is 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8 I will find it equally acceptable to sling the supplied 70-200 bag over one shoulder as a good compromise of large size-weight in order to obtain maximum depth of field (f2.8) flexibility and maximum quality.

Best regards, SteveK
My Nikonians gallery
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange

bastion999

Cumming, US
60 posts

#58. "RE: Me Too" | In response to Reply # 56

bastion999 Registered since 29th Oct 2004
Thu 23-Jul-09 10:50 AM

Hmm, hopefully not a Gold member ability. I looked under both "My Profile" and "My User Menu" and don't see any settings related to the forums.

I know I've seen something/somewhere but for the life of me cannot remember where!

Garrett Hayes

Lucan, Ireland, IE
287 posts

#59. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 0

Garrett Hayes Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2004
Thu 23-Jul-09 05:22 PM

I have through all the replies in this thread and while I have and love the 24-70, IMHO it is too big & heavy for a walk around lens.

I notice that the poor old AF-S 24-120mm 3.5-5.6 G VR lens gets a short shrift here. Come on guys, it is not that bad. In fact I think that it is quite if not very good. It is a solid lens, handles well, has a 72 mm filter mount and is easy to carry around. OK the 3.5 is not great but with VR you effectively get a couple of stops.

Once again with restrictions on weight when flying & the abilty to carry a limited kit, I find that this lens is very usable.

Anyone else agree? Come on, there must be someone!

GH

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#60. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 59

johno Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd May 2006
Thu 23-Jul-09 06:14 PM

Well it looks like the word is finally getting out about the 28-105 on the D700. I would even go so far to say that lens is excellent on the D700. And it's easy to carry. Grab one while you can. If you dislike it you can easily sell it and break even.

I tried the Tamron 28-300 and didn't feel the love at all. I never wanted to use it.

Yes, the 24-70 is a load to carry all day, but it's good exercise.

Donald Kahn

US
266 posts

#61. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 59

Fri 24-Jul-09 04:40 AM

I agree with Garrett that the 24-120 is a very good "walk around lens." I used the 24-120 for about 4 years on a Fuji S3 Pro and have nothing but good things to say about it. The first reason that I chose the 28-105 is because it is smaller and lighter and, in my opinion, a tad sharper. The second reason is that I have loaned the 24-120 to my son to use on his new D5000 which will not autofocus with the 28-105. The choice between the two is a toss up.

Travjohn

Boone, NC, US
642 posts

#62. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 59

Travjohn Gold Member Nikonian since 06th Nov 2005
Fri 24-Jul-09 06:37 AM

Sorry, but I'm another one in the "disagree" camp. I ordered the 24-120 and the 24-85 f/2.8-4 at the same time to test them against each other. I really wanted the 24-120 to be the better lens, or at least comparable, because of its longer zoom range and VR.
Maybe I had a bad sample, but in every comparison -- both on-tripod controlled test shots and real-life walking-around photos, the 24-85 was the sharper lens. So with regret I returned the 24-120.
That was several months ago, and I'm very pleased with the 24-85, even if sometimes I do wish it had VR and a longer zoom range. . . .

John

"One should photograph objects not only for what they are but for what else they are." -- Minor White

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#63. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 38

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Fri 24-Jul-09 11:37 AM | edited Fri 24-Jul-09 11:41 AM by RRRoger

>Ah, go ahead and buy it. You know you want to. You'll be
>sorry if you don't!
>Ron

I am waiting for the D700X. That should be the ultimate walk-around camera.
Perhaps, they will come out with a Nikkor 16-200 or 28-250 FX lense at the same time or soon after.
RRRoger

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#64. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 62

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Fri 24-Jul-09 12:36 PM

After using a Sigma 50-500 (excellent quality and range, heavy as a tank) on a D2X for a walk around lense anything feels lite.
I gave up the pop-eye arms, and use a D3 with 14-24 or 28-70 when near home.

Before buying the Nikkor 14-24 I tried a bunch of cheaper Nikon and 3rd party wide Zooms. The Nikkor 18-35 was the best of the bunch, very light, and compact.

Donald Kahn

US
266 posts

#65. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 61

Fri 24-Jul-09 11:15 PM

John is probably right about the 24-120, but it is still a great lens when you deal with its limitations. I was in love with most of my Nikkor lenses until I bought a Hasselblad with an 80mm Planar T* lens back in the late 70s. I swore that I would never shoot another picture with a 35mm camera. The snaps from that camera were beyond comparison. The 24-120 is a good lens, but you have to stop it down at least 2 stops to get the best results. I don't think that there are any lenses out there where that rule should be compromised. Once again, that's just my opinion, and I'm sure that there are many of you who have captured fantastic results wide open.

Donald Kahn

US
266 posts

#66. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 62

Sat 25-Jul-09 12:14 AM

John is probably right about the 24-120, but it is still a great lens when you deal with its limitations. I was in love with most of my Nikkor lenses until I bought a Hasselblad with an 80mm Planar T* lens back in the late 70s. I swore that I would never shoot another picture with a 35mm camera. The snaps from that camera were beyond comparison. The 24-120 is a good lens, but you have to stop it down at least 2 stops to get the best results. I don't think that there are any lenses out there where that rule should be compromised. Once again, that's just my opinion, and I'm sure that there are many of you who have captured fantastic results wide open.

Donald Kahn

US
266 posts

#67. "RE: Walk around lens for D700" | In response to Reply # 62

Sat 25-Jul-09 12:16 AM

G