Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Yet another D300 owner agonizing over the D700!

Redwood76

UK
48 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Redwood76 Registered since 05th Mar 2008
Fri 29-Aug-08 10:32 PM

Ok, here's the options. I have a budget of £2000. It's the last bit of a redundancy payoff and I'm not likely to have that kind of funding again for a few years at least.

Current glass - Nikon: 18-200VR, 50mm 1.4. Sigma: 150mm Macro, 120-300mm f2.8.

1) Keep D300, buy D700 now for £1800. Forget new lenses.

2) PX D300 for D700 at £1150

3) Forget D700, get D90 as second body and lens(es)

4) Forget another body, buy glass for D300

5) Wait for Photokina and see what new stuff comes out

6) Some really nice person donates me a D700 and a 200-400vr for free. I've asked Nikon already and they told me where to go

(Why do they give all the free stuff to people who don't need it / can afford it?!)

What's drawing me to the D700 like a bug to UV light bug zapper is the low light performance and faster AF. I mainly shoot sports and wildlife.

Chris P

Reading, UK
137 posts

#1. "RE: Yet another D300 owner agonizing over the D700!" | In response to Reply # 0

Chris P Registered since 03rd Apr 2007
Sat 30-Aug-08 07:29 AM

It's always difficult to give advice of this sort, but given that you mainly shoot sports and wildlife, my suggestion would be that you keep the D300, wait to see what Photokina brings and if there is nothing new, buy lenses.

I have just bought a D700 as a result of the untimely death of my Fuji S5 after I managed to get rainwater in it in a freak accident and the drop in reach between a FX and DX sensor is very apparent. For my photography this is not of great importance, but it is still very noticeable.

If you don't mind me making a suggestion re a new lens, given your present list above, it would be to replace the Sigma 150 macro with the 105 micro Nikkor, I had a look at one and put a couple of shots on the card on my S5, it is a very sharp lens indeed and the VR makes handholding at a magnification of at least 1:2 in reasonable light a practicable proposition.

If at Photokina Nikon introduces a 300mm f4 with VR, use the rest of the money to buy that and a 1.4x converter.

Hope this has helped.

Chris P

RoFus

Luxembourg, LU
119 posts

#2. "RE: Yet another D300 owner agonizing over the D700!" | In response to Reply # 0

RoFus Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Nov 2004
Sat 30-Aug-08 10:51 AM

7) keep the £2000 and enjoy what you have; which is anyway excellent equipment

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#3. "RE: Yet another D300 owner agonizing over the D700!" | In response to Reply # 0

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Sat 30-Aug-08 11:05 AM

If your main subjects are sports and wildlife, I would assume that focal length is important for you. To replicate the "reach" you currently have with your 120-300mm on the D300, you'd need a 450mm lens. This could pretty much be achieved with a 1.4x TC, but then you'd be cancelling out 1 stop of the 1-2 stops better low-light ability of the D700.

Also, from all the credible reports I have read, there isn't too much difference in AF performance between D300 and D700.

In your situation, I'm not sure I'd do anything right now.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

rbeal

Cheltenham, UK
529 posts

#4. "RE: Yet another D300 owner agonizing over the D700!" | In response to Reply # 0

rbeal Registered since 16th Aug 2006
Sat 30-Aug-08 05:53 PM | edited Sat 30-Aug-08 07:24 PM by rbeal

Based on the financial position in the UK you would be unwise to spend all your redundancy like this!

The D300 is a super camera - and contrary to a comment above, the Sigma 150 macro is also excellent, and it has VR - don't get rid of it!

Perhaps you need a proper wide angle - 18 really isn't wide at all. I have the Nikon 12-24, I understand Sigma have a very good one too.

Another idea - I bought the Nikon R1 flash kit to go on the end of the Sigma 150. Brilliant for small wildlife in the field.

*** Edited to note that I was wrong to say the Sigma has VR, it has HSM, which means very fast focussing. ***

Richard

Redwood76

UK
48 posts

#5. "RE: Yet another D300 owner agonizing over the D700!" | In response to Reply # 4

Redwood76 Registered since 05th Mar 2008
Sat 30-Aug-08 06:28 PM

Thanks for the advice people

Anyway, I've been shooting Touring cars today. Just been going through the shots, It's made my mind up - I'm sticking with the D300. I think I just had a dose of NAS for a while...

Off to the lens forum now to decide what new glass I want

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#6. "RE: Yet another D300 owner agonizing over the D700!" | In response to Reply # 4

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Sat 30-Aug-08 06:52 PM

>The D300 is a super camera - and contrary to a comment above,
>the Sigma 150 macro is also excellent, and it has VR - don't
>get rid of it!

I would agree that by all accounts the Sigma 150mm Macro is an excellent lens, but it does not have VR (or "OS" as Sigma would call it).

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

rbeal

Cheltenham, UK
529 posts

#7. "RE: Yet another D300 owner agonizing over the D700!" | In response to Reply # 6

rbeal Registered since 16th Aug 2006
Sat 30-Aug-08 06:57 PM | edited Sat 30-Aug-08 07:23 PM by rbeal

You are right - sorry.

I was getting confused - it has HSM which is fast focus - crucial when hand held in the field.

Richard

RoFus

Luxembourg, LU
119 posts

#8. "RE: Yet another D300 owner agonizing over the D700!" | In response to Reply # 5

RoFus Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Nov 2004
Sat 30-Aug-08 07:58 PM

we are going to face more difficult times. if I would be in your position, I would just keep my money and just ignore NAS. the D300 is an excellent camera and if you can exploit it to its potential, you can make quite some money with it. lets not forget - it's the skills that make the photo, the equipmen is just the tool. it's human's nature to look for excuses on the equipment side.

G