Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Your auto ISO settings

avigar

Northern IL, US
523 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
avigar Registered since 29th Nov 2006
Sat 26-Mar-11 11:37 PM | edited Sun 27-Mar-11 06:42 PM by avigar

What are the auto ISO settings do you favor most, when using an f/2.8 lens, on your D700? Do you consistently get good results, with minimal post processing for noise?

--Ben

jjm203z

Dupont, US
1685 posts

#1. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 0

jjm203z Registered since 17th Dec 2007
Sun 27-Mar-11 12:40 AM | edited Sun 27-Mar-11 12:42 AM by jjm203z

200-6400

Click on image to view larger version

24-75, f2.8, auto iso at 1600
Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Bob32

Chico, US
5856 posts

#2. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 0

Bob32 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jul 2007
Sun 27-Mar-11 07:30 AM

Ben,

I typically set Auto ISO at 200 with maximum allowed to go to 6400 no matter what lens I am using. My results are consistently satisfying, and Noise Ninja does a good job of dealing with the modest amount of noise I encounter at high ISO values.

Bob

Pouncer

Memphis, US
1230 posts

#3. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 0

Pouncer Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Sun 27-Mar-11 06:20 PM

I only use auto ISO when shooting sports. And since most of the sports I shoot are indoors, I just went ahead and set auto ISO from 400 to Hi 0.3. Fortunately I rarely need above Hi 0.1.

Garrett

stuff: D700, D300, AF-S 17-35 f/2.8, AF 35-70 f/2.8, AF-S 80-200 f/2.8, AF 85 f/1.8 D

and: Ai 28 f/2, Nikkor-O 35 f/2 AI'd, Ai-S 50 f/1.8, Nikkor-K 105 f/2.5 Ai'd

This is my Nikonians gallery.

McDanglers

chessington, UK
6 posts

#4. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 1

McDanglers Registered since 12th Feb 2011
Mon 28-Mar-11 10:11 AM

Just looking at the clarity and definition, proves without nerdy talk, that iso 1600 shots with a700 are excellent.
I loved the interaction between the priest and the bride although both looking at the candle being lit, showing expectations of a satisfactory light up, and future life as a married woman.
Great stuff.

TiggerGTO

Apex, US
2258 posts

#5. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 0

TiggerGTO Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006
Tue 29-Mar-11 01:08 PM

I usually pick either 1600 or 3200 as the maximum ISO. Depending on the sport or activity I am shooting, I'll set the minimum shutter speed to 1/125, 1/250 or 1/500. I almost always shoot in A mode.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

BillCoughlin

Leesport, US
188 posts

#6. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 0

BillCoughlin Registered since 12th Nov 2008
Sun 10-Apr-11 01:15 PM

I set the max ISO to 6400 as I have no concerns about being able to remove noise at that setting. I almost always shoot Aperture mode ... for the 70-200 I set ISO to 200 and minimum shutter to 1/250th and let the ISO float. For the 24-70 I usually have the minumum shutter at 1/125.
Bill

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ... Dr Seuss

chiefmasterjedi

US
313 posts

#7. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 6

chiefmasterjedi Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2009
Sun 10-Apr-11 04:23 PM

I use auto ISO 200-6400. The auto ISO is a great tool for longer lenses, I use it most on my 300mm F4 and set the minimum shutter speed to 1/400 and never have to worry about hand shake when hand holding.

Visit my web site.

joewoo

US
4 posts

#8. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 0

joewoo Registered since 27th Mar 2011
Sun 10-Apr-11 11:02 PM

i auto up to 6400... of course 200 is my fav...

Drbee

Naperville, US
5927 posts

#9. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 1

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004
Mon 11-Apr-11 01:20 AM | edited Mon 11-Apr-11 01:23 AM by Drbee

Hi,

I keep the autoISO function in my "My Menu" for quick change. I find that ISO6400 cleans up very well in LR3 so that's a usable upperlimit for me. I keep the camera set at ISO200, A-Mode and let the shutter speed trigger "boost" the autoISO function.

I match the shutter speed trigger to the lens I'm using. With my 24-120mm f/4 AFS VRII lens on FX I typically leave it set to 1/125s.

There are lots of usable variations so it's good to have this discussion. If I know that most of my usage will be in the WA range of that lens, then I may lower the shutter speed trigger substantially because the VRII is quite good. Then again if the subjects include moving subjects, than back up with the trigger.

It's a great tool. I mostly have the function turned of, if it's a relatively uniform venue and the images are special. Bumping up the ISO manually is quite easy if your situation is changing slowly - that way you are in full control of valuable images.

In travel situations, I almost always have it turned "on".

BTW: my other FX lenses are 16-35mm f/4 AFS VRII, 70-200mm f/2.8 AFS VR, 24mm f/2.8 AFD, 35mm f/2 AFD/AIS, 50mm f/1.4 AFD. For DX I use these with a 17-55mm f/2.8 AFD DX on a D2Hs with maxISO set to 1600. I follow the same philosophy on that camera.

Best Regards,
Roger

Idyfohu

Salt Lake City, US
476 posts

#10. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 8

Idyfohu Silver Member Nikonian since 24th May 2009
Thu 14-Apr-11 04:45 AM

Interesting to know in what scenarios people are using Auto ISO...I've never used it and haven't really realized a situation where I would consider using it.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#11. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 10

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Thu 14-Apr-11 06:12 AM

In general, my reason for using Auto ISO is that I want to choose a particular aperture - to control Depth of Field - and a minimum shutter speed - to reduce blur - while the light levels are changeable, making use of M mode tricky.

In those circumstances, the ISO value is less important to me than the other two variables so I leave that up to the camera (within limits).

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Baaker

Dumbarton, UK
923 posts

#12. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 10

Baaker Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Aug 2009
Fri 15-Apr-11 06:31 AM

>Interesting to know in what scenarios people are using Auto
>ISO...I've never used it and haven't really realized a
>situation where I would consider using it.

Street photography where the light changes constantly

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43019448@N04/

olivierrychner

Boudry, CH
5255 posts

#13. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 0

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005
Fri 15-Apr-11 06:58 AM

After a coolpix 5400, a D70, a D200 and a D300 which I still use, my D700 is the first camera I have had on which auto-ISO is more than a theory... I have used it with a 200-6400 range, with some success.

Cheerio,

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

Bluefin

Danville, US
432 posts

#14. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 1

Bluefin Registered since 14th Nov 2006
Fri 15-Apr-11 02:04 PM

I use auto iso in my shooting banks. I have 3 set up:

A- Landscape: no auto iso

B- Action: Min. shutter at 1/250, iso at 200, max sensitivity at 6400

C- Portrait: Min. shutter at 1/125, iso at 200, max sensitivity at 6400

I'm not worried about the max sensitivity because if I set it at 1600 and it needs a higher number the resulting image will be worthless anyway.

Mark Sloane
Danville, CA

expat

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT
532 posts

#15. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 14

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010
Thu 28-Apr-11 06:56 AM

>I use auto iso in my shooting banks. I have 3 set up:
>
>A- Landscape: no auto iso
>
>B- Action: Min. shutter at 1/250, iso at 200, max sensitivity
>at 6400
>
>C- Portrait: Min. shutter at 1/125, iso at 200, max
>sensitivity at 6400
>
>I'm not worried about the max sensitivity because if I set it
>at 1600 and it needs a higher number the resulting image will
>be worthless anyway.
>
>
>Mark Sloane
>Danville, CA
Interested in your settings especially A -landscape.
I contacted Nikon & sent them a RAW NEF and they replied that they thought the image was overexposed by 1 stop because I had Auto Iso set. A sunny scene with AP at about 1/220 s @ f14 but Auto Iso took it on itself to go to 720. Seems I have to revert to 200 ASA Auto off for landscapes?

Bluefin

Danville, US
432 posts

#16. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 15

Thu 28-Apr-11 12:31 PM

David,

I use a tripod for 99.99% of my landscape images. Therefore shutter speed is not a priority unless it's windy and I'm trying to get everything tack sharp. So in landscape I shoot AP, raw, auto WB and often w/manual focus.

If your images are over exposed by 1 stop when using auto ISO, then use exposure compensation if needed. My experience is that auto ISO does not over expose my images, I do! Often I'm in spot meter when I shouldn't and visa/versa. Often times I have left a setting from a previous group of exposures in place that are wrong for what I'm currently shooting.

I constantly curse my D700 only to sheepishly say "I'm sorry, don't leave me, I'll change i promise", when I realize it was my fault.

To help solve my lack of attention to detail I always have my hoodman to look at the LCD and I zoom in on every image I thing is a "keeper" just to try and make sure it's as perfect as I hope it is. People call this "chimping (?)" or something like that. I don't get why it is frowned upon. When Ansel Adams and John Sexton would set up AA's large format for a shot and they took Polaroids first to make sure everything was perfect, was that chimping? Well I am a dedicated chimper and I have no shame. I check my images and am constantly using exposure compensation to get the image I want. If auto ISO is indeed pushing your exposures an extra stop and you are shooting people or action shoots and auto ISO has real value, than chimp with pride and make sure you get it right!

Hope that helps.....Mark

Mark Sloane
Danville, CA

Bluefin

Danville, US
432 posts

#17. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 13

Thu 28-Apr-11 12:44 PM

Oliver,

I'm sure you are aware of this but just want to make sure.....Auto ISO is available on the D300 as well. Your ISO range may not be as robust as the D700 but I have my D300 set up the same as my D700.

On the rare occasion when I shoot wildlife, I like the extra reach and try to use the D300. Auto ISO is helpful to me when I'm pretending I'm a wildlife photographer.

Mark Sloane
Danville, CA

jgould2

Fort Pierce, US
4582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#18. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 16

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007
Thu 28-Apr-11 01:22 PM | edited Thu 28-Apr-11 01:24 PM by jgould2

Hi Mark.

Thanks for your post. I also take advantage of today's remarkable technology by checking my photos in the field to see how I am doing. I couldn't have learned as much about photography as I have without this capability.

Another unabashed and grateful 'chimper'.

On topic, I do not use auto-ISO.

JIM

Drbee

Naperville, US
5927 posts

#19. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 15

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004
Thu 28-Apr-11 01:58 PM

I'm wondering if something in your Nikon correspondence might have been "lost in translation". I would be interested to learn more one how autoISO could inject an exposure problem. I'm surprised that Nikon would comment beyond the fact that they felt the image was overexposed . To say anything more is to imply there is a problem with the exposure system, iso processing, etc. To not comment just leaves it at the photographer possibly not interpreting correctly the exposure suggested by the camera.

I think you will find your overall processing of "typically well lighted" scenes much easier with autoISO turned off as you suggest. I'm quite happy with autoISO, but only as a tool when to be used when lighting conditions are changing rapidly and utilizing (and introducing another variable - in a controlled manner) makes my life easier. Manually picking an appropriate ISO for a scene that you are going to spend some time studying eliminates any guess work and gives you a sound foundation from which to proceed with other exposure and artistic (e.g. DOF) determinations.

I prefer not to have autoISO buried in a memory bank, but rather on "My Menu" where I can control it separately if the situation dictates.

Best Regards,
Roger

expat

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT
532 posts

#20. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 19

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010
Sat 03-Sep-11 12:24 PM | edited Sat 03-Sep-11 12:56 PM by briantilley

I had similar experience and sent Nikon an image (from D700 NEF)and they suggested it was overexposed (which it obviously was)and I should turn Auto exposure Off in Landscape Picture mode. This eventually made sense so thats what I do as I was completly convinced my D700 overexposed.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#21. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 20

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Sat 03-Sep-11 12:59 PM

I'm presuming you meant Auto ISO rather than Auto exposure?

Either way, as was pointed out in response to your earlier post in this thread, there is really no way that using Auto ISO can, by itself, cause overexposure. Like Roger, I'm wondering whether there was some misunderstanding between Nikon and yourself.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

JonK

New York, US
6317 posts

#22. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 0

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004
Sat 03-Sep-11 02:50 PM

I use Auto ISO quite a lot, for wildlife, for theatre, and sometimes for street. As Brian suggested, shooting in Manual gives the photographer the most control. You control both the shutter speed (freeze action/blur) and aperture (depth of field) and you can still limit the ISO by adjusting either or both of the other settings.

Manual Meter with Auto ISO gives all control to the photographer while still providing an automatic exposure environment. And the exposure can be moderated by riding Exposure Compensation.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16902 posts

#23. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 10

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Sat 03-Sep-11 02:59 PM

For me, I use it with sports photography, travel photography (where I might go quickly from indoors to outdoors and back), street photography, and wildlife photography. In short, there are many uses for it once you become familiar with its capabilities, especially with cameras that do well at higher ISOs. On a trip to India that I made in January, I had Auto ISO enabled for virtually the entire trip.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

GregMen

Ona, US
25 posts

#24. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 11

GregMen Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Nov 2010
Sun 04-Sep-11 09:04 AM

I use the same logic as does Brian.
Preferring manual mode, ISO is least critical of the variables mentioned here.

I utilize three shooting banks:
General - ISO max @ 6400
Portrait - ISO max @ 2500
Group Portrait - ISO max @ 2500.

Noise tolerance is one of the stellar features of the D700. When an image does get noisy (@ 6400) Lightroom 3 scoffs, wiggles its nose and fixes!

Visit http://www.gregmencottiphotography.com

olivierrychner

Boudry, CH
5255 posts

#25. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 17

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005
Mon 05-Sep-11 10:48 AM

>Oliver,
>
>I'm sure you are aware of this but just want to make
>sure.....Auto ISO is available on the D300 as well. Your ISO
>range may not be as robust as the D700 but I have my D300 set
>up the same as my D700.
>

Sorry to answer only now!!! I had forgotten to read that topic again... and not subscribed to it!

Yes, of course I am aware of that. Auto ISO has been available on all the cameras I have listed in my previous entry, but what I meant is that on the D700, my experience has been that it is really usable, because the high ISO of the camera are really useful, whereas I don't think I have ever used the D70 much above 400, the D200 much above 800, and the D300 much above 1600.

But I must add that I have widened my choices of PP software: for the D70, I used NikonView and Elements 2; with the D200 I switched from Elements2 to Elements 4 and CS3 and started using CaptureNX, and now I'm using Lightroom with a very limited use for CS3... NR capabilities of LR are really impressive!

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

Vlad_IT

US
1353 posts

#26. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 2

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011
Fri 21-Oct-11 06:34 PM

>Ben,
>
>I typically set Auto ISO at 200 with maximum allowed to go to
>6400 no matter what lens I am using. My results are
>consistently satisfying, and Noise Ninja does a good job of
>dealing with the modest amount of noise I encounter at high
>ISO values.
>
>Bob

Bob,

I used noise ninja for some time in 2002-2003 with my Nikon LS-2000 scans and got superb results. Can you suggest if NN is still in your digital workflow? I read that LR user are do not need any 3-rd party noise remover plug-ins.

Thank you,
Vlad

Bob32

Chico, US
5856 posts

#27. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 26

Bob32 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jul 2007
Fri 21-Oct-11 07:14 PM

Vlad,

I shoot a lot of sports action in school gyms where the lighting is less than optimum. As a result, I am frequently operating in the range of ISO 6400-12800 where noise is an issue. I use Noise Ninja all the time to deal with the noise, and it does a fine job. I use NN as a plug-in to Elements 6 for Mac. I don’t use Lightroom so can’t comment on how well its noise removal function works.

Bob

blw

Richmond, US
28551 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#28. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 0

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Sat 22-Oct-11 07:48 AM

I set auto ISO to OFF except in unusual circumstances.

f/2.8 lenses don't matter to auto ISO.

As for ISO, I go up to Hi-2, although I obviously avoid Hi-2 if I can. Hi-1 and Hi-2 almost always require extensive post processing. However, when I can't avoid it, even Hi-2 produces surprisingly good end results. Hi-0.3 and Hi-0.7 seem consistently usable as long as I'm very careful about exposure. I have LR3 presets for processing at 6400, Hi-0.3 and Hi-0.7. Hi-1 and Hi-2 don't have presets as there's just too much image-specific work to be done, usually involving Topaz Denoise, Photoshop, layers and layer masks.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Dallaspilot

Mandeville, US
318 posts

#29. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 0

Dallaspilot Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Oct 2010
Sun 23-Oct-11 11:14 AM

I can see from the other replies that the answer depends on the type of image being captured, the environment and the photographer's experience and sophistication.
Speaking as an amateur, I finally turned off the auto ISO because I prefer using Aperture priority; sometimes Shutter priority. I seldom shoot in manual mode. With auto-iso on, controlling one variable allows the camera to control two more. The high-ISO capability of the D700 resulted in some very high ISO settings being used on occasion. So, I speed-limited auto ISO for a while, but would later want a twilight or evening shot when the speed limit was an obstacle to the ISO performance I needed. It was too much to remember for the amount of photography I was doing, so I turned off auto ISO and now manually set ISO then use either aperture or shutter priority with results I like. It's a matter of habit to turn on the camera, then set ISO. It is possible that there is a pattern of camera workflow that would work better, but I've not developed that discipline. Maybe when I retire from my day job . ..

Vlad_IT

US
1353 posts

#30. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 28

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011
Sun 23-Oct-11 01:11 PM | edited Sun 23-Oct-11 01:36 PM by Vlad_IT

I apologize for being “out of league” here with my D7000, here is who I am - I like challenges and I think I progress much faster by learning from “Big Shots”. And this thread helped me on very next day after I read posts here.
Here it is:
Yesterday I attended my Daughter’s Tae Kwon Do Tournament with no ability to use 35mm 1.8 lens. So I had to stick with 18-200mm. There were 6 tatami rings, from beginners to masters. I just could not not to pay attention to masters at the dark end of the gym. Just fascinating to watch them! So for the first time I used Auto ISO set to the highest limit (Hi-2.0) in Manual mode - i could not go below 1/500 and i wanted F/8 (just to get a bit more DOF and reduce softness at 200mm. That allowed me to quickly frame at 200mm on masters as soon as I saw an opportunity for a nice shot) and get back to my kid’s tatami, which was at much brighter place and much closer to me. Auto ISO dropped to 800 (from 6400 +).

Few more tricks that I used for the first time yesterday (all leaned here, at Nikonians) – I assigned AF-ON to AE-L button (Gave me the best possible results for fast moving “masters”, I used Continues High and flash 100% all the time and assigned FN-1 button to Flash Off function. That allowed me to pay more attention to framing and use Flash at 1/250 speed when I could use it for single shots and by pressing a single FN-1 button I got continues high speed at 1/500 and no flash and Auto ISO took care of the rest. It was so cool!

Best regards,
Vlad

GiantTristan

Stamford, US
2669 posts

#31. "RE: Your auto ISO settings" | In response to Reply # 0

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006
Sun 23-Oct-11 01:24 PM

I use aperture priority almost exclusively. I set the high iso limit to 3200 and the minimum shutter speed to 1/(2xfocal length) for the lens I am using - for fast moving objects, the minimum shutter speed has to be set higher. This provides for excellent sharpness and still retains very good micro contrast. When using a tripod, I turn off auto iso and use the base iso 200 for stationary objects.

Tristan

G