Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Saving picture when zooming on the Camera d700

zedbadee

Richmond, CA
154 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
zedbadee Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Registered since 05th Jun 2007
Sun 21-Nov-10 08:24 PM

A question - can one save the zoomed picture on the d700?

blw

Richmond, US
28563 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#1. "RE: Saving picture when zooming on the Camera d700" | In response to Reply # 0

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Sun 21-Nov-10 07:33 PM

Have a look in the manual for Trim.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

zedbadee

Richmond, CA
154 posts

#2. "RE: Saving picture when zooming on the Camera d700" | In response to Reply # 1

zedbadee Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Registered since 05th Jun 2007
Sun 21-Nov-10 08:12 PM

thanks

zedbadee

Richmond, CA
154 posts

#3. "RE: Saving picture when zooming on the Camera d700" | In response to Reply # 1

Sun 21-Nov-10 08:15 PM

Is it better to trim within camera or use photoshop to blow up pictures- which is better in terms of pictures quality? Ken

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#4. "RE: Saving picture when zooming on the Camera d700" | In response to Reply # 3

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Sun 21-Nov-10 08:38 PM

>Is it better to trim within camera or use photoshop to blow
>up pictures- which is better in terms of pictures quality?

Trimming on a small rear LCD on a camera body is imprecise. Cropping while viewing the same image on a large computer monitor and making much finer adjustments using a mouse or a pen/tablet is much more accurate.

I believe you're trimming only the JPG in-camera, not the RAW file (if you care about such things).

Trim in-camera or crop in Photoshop - there's no discernable difference in initial image quality.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

blw

Richmond, US
28563 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#5. "RE: Saving picture when zooming on the Camera d700" | In response to Reply # 3

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Sun 21-Nov-10 08:58 PM

> Is it better to trim within camera or use photoshop to blow up pictures- which is better in terms of pictures quality?

Technically speaking, I'm not sure. However, in practice, doing it in post processing is almost certainly going to be better. You can see precisely how to do the job, you have a significantly better tool to control the cropping, and most of the time you can do it non-destructively, so that if you make a mistake you just undo it. Finally, when I'm in the field, I prefer to spend the time doing the captures rather than futzing around with anything else. I can do the cropping any time.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

zedbadee

Richmond, CA
154 posts

#6. "RE: Saving picture when zooming on the Camera d700" | In response to Reply # 0

Sun 21-Nov-10 09:24 PM

here a comparsion pic 1 was done in camera pic was done with capture nx

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

G